Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

oh my god is that a circular saw that does not go in my mouth aaaaagh
For me, with Nightly/Linux, if I set #TabsToolbar to be in ordinal group 2, it looks like what you want. If it's not working for you, you'll have to just experiment I guess. One important note. The bookmarks toolbar is called #PersonalToolbar. You can figure all this stuff out by opening the dev tools (Ctrl+Shift+K), clicking the gear near the right, enabling "browser chrome and add-on debugging toolboxes", then opening the Browser Toolbar (Ctrl+Shift+Alt+I) and messing around with the inspector there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

PirateBob posted:

Firefox performs perfectly fine as it is.

I'll miss a lot of add-ons myself and not happy about it, but FF 57 is really incredibly fast compared to FF of old. It's faster than Chrome, Safari and Edge for me, or at least feels like it. Their memory-savings promises I can't confirm though. It takes significantly more RAM than before for me, and is - unlike before - not really much better than the other multi-threaded browsers.

syntaxfunction posted:

Since Tab Center died the only extension I really find myself using frequently is Advanced Locationbar. Sadly, it's listed as Legacy. Is there anything that can do what it does (linkify segments of the address bar) that won't be killed in 57?

No idea for Advanced Locationbar. For Tab Center though, there is a Tab Center Redux, which is still pretty bare-bones, but compatible with FF 57.

Decius fucked around with this message at 09:33 on Oct 13, 2017

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler
Just installed the FF57 beta and wowza it is waaaaay faster for me. Only extension I use that's still legacy is Flagfox and it appears the dev is still supporting it so hopefully he puts out compatible version in the next month.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh
Is Web of Trust advisable to use these days? I know they were caught selling browsing info or something a year or two ago but was wondering if if they'd stopped being scum.

Or will uBlock Origin block the badness, removing the need for link ratings?

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Is Web of Trust advisable to use these days? I know they were caught selling browsing info or something a year or two ago but was wondering if if they'd stopped being scum.

Or will uBlock Origin block the badness, removing the need for link ratings?

Web of Trust is useless especially now, uBlock Origin is going to actually block things.

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home
Anyone know of a WebExtension replacement for Space Next? Nothing terribly complicated, just a habit I picked up in the early Opera days.

xamphear
Apr 9, 2002

SILK FOR CALDÉ!
I've been going over the Firefox webextensions APIs for a few days now. There's nothing in there that gives you any real access or control over the address bar. All you can do is add an icon into it (like you can add an icon to the toolbar) and capture keystrokes if you register a keyword and the user types that keyword followed by a space and some other junk. https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/Add-ons/WebExtensions/API/omnibox and https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/Add-ons/WebExtensions/API/pageAction if you want do do some reading.

It's going to be a long time (maybe never) before some of Firefox's best extensions are even possible, let alone get developer attention and ported. I am simultaneously impressed at how many extensions have been ported and dismayed at how many aren't even able to be ported.

My opinion? They should have put off the legacy kill switch into next year when more APIs were available. I still think they should do it, but not until it was fully baked and ready.

xamphear fucked around with this message at 19:00 on Oct 13, 2017

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

xamphear posted:

My opinion? They should have put off the legacy kill switch into next year when more APIs were available. I still think they should do it, but not until it was fully baked and ready.

My favorite part is that they don't even have implementation in sync for desktop and mobile. While both use the exact same addons. With Firefox 55 poo poo was completely broken on Android because there was basically no support for webextensions while addons were already moving over to it. See the whole uBlock Origin thing.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

xamphear posted:

I've been going over the Firefox webextensions APIs for a few days now. There's nothing in there that gives you any real access or control over the address bar. All you can do is add an icon into it (like you can add an icon to the toolbar) and capture keystrokes if you register a keyword and the user types that keyword followed by a space and some other junk. https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/Add-ons/WebExtensions/API/omnibox and https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/Add-ons/WebExtensions/API/pageAction if you want do do some reading.

It's going to be a long time (maybe never) before some of Firefox's best extensions are even possible, let alone get developer attention and ported. I am simultaneously impressed at how many extensions have been ported and dismayed at how many aren't even able to be ported.

Alternatively the webextensions-only switch should've been flipped the release after an ESR and not 5 releases after one.

Instead they pushed an API that lacked a ton of important bits, didn't even try to maintain compatibility with chrome on something as fundamental as "what tabs do an extension get loaded into when it first installs/gets updated?" (if declared in the manifest and not programmatically). Combined with "There is no way for a content script to safely/sanely detect it should cease action/shut down because the extension got updated" (answer straight from the mozilla devs who were working on webextensions, mind), you have a really annoying issue - endless copies of content scripts will get loaded into every matching tab with no sane way to shut them down. A feature that would've been a fantastic way to not have to write a bunch of pointless eventually-becomes-boilerplate code was rendered completely useless.

When pressed a year after I brought this to their attention, the devs thought they probably should fix that, but it likely wouldn't make it in time for 57, when by all logic it should have been there for a year already so developers could properly transition their stuff.

I'm not bitter at all at this point. It's just depressing.

astral fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Oct 13, 2017

Pikestaff
Feb 17, 2013

Came here to bark at you

Updated Greasemonkey to the webextension alpha and one of my favorite scripts stopped working. Tried Violentmonkey and another of my favorite scripts stopped working instead. :shrug: I haven't tried Tampermonkey yet.

Anyways, would anyone happen to know of a webextension version of xclear or is that kind of thing just not supported anymore?

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747
uMatrix seems to be working well so far, are there any special changes I should make right away, or should I not fiddle with it?

edit: I'm already experiencing a problem where clicking the "Mark as unread" button next to a thread takes me to the start of the thread instead of marking it as unread

Spoilers also don't highlight on mousing over, and people quoting me isnt shaded as yellow. Imgur images also are not loading.
Fixed the problems, turns out I just needed to unblock some google thing

spit on my clit fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Oct 14, 2017

Spaseman
Aug 26, 2007

I'm a Securitron
RobCo security model 2060-B.
If you ever see any of my brothers tell them Victor says howdy.
Fallen Rib
I just installed uMatrix and it seems to work faster than NoScript but I can't seem to figure out how to make embedded tweets work on the forums. I see a number of domains but none for twitter. I also just updated to the 57 beta is that matters.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Spaseman posted:

I just installed uMatrix and it seems to work faster than NoScript but I can't seem to figure out how to make embedded tweets work on the forums. I see a number of domains but none for twitter. I also just updated to the 57 beta is that matters.

do you see a shield in/near the address bar? tracking protection blocks twitter embeds

Spaseman
Aug 26, 2007

I'm a Securitron
RobCo security model 2060-B.
If you ever see any of my brothers tell them Victor says howdy.
Fallen Rib
I have a shield with a red line through it.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Spaseman posted:

I have a shield with a red line through it.

tracking protection is then not your problem

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Avenging Dentist posted:

The bookmarks toolbar is called #PersonalToolbar.

That was it! Thanks.

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

My Firefox tabs keeps bugging out and overlapping like this:

I can just drag and drop them back in their correct place but it's annoying (and they can remain bugged if I place them in the wrong order). Does anyone know what's up with that?

I swear it feels like Firefox just really, really wants me to finally switch over to Chrome.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Spaseman posted:

You probably need to allow scripts for one of the other domains first and reload, before the request to Twitter's servers can even be made. At a guess, ajax.googleapis.com and/or cloudflare.com. Presuming you're already allowing scripts from forums.somethingawful.com.

Embedded stuff will always require this iterative sort of approach. So the same will be true for Youtube embeds for example. First you allow the frame, which it's not enough, but after the reload some more Google owned servers show up in the list that you've got to allow scripts for, after which a server shows up where the media is pulled from etc.

It's always a good idea to think about how narrow or broad you can make your allow rules, so you don't have to implement them over and over for each website. Specifically Youtube embeds are A-Ok anywhere for me, so I've applied these rules to * (you select this top left). Twitter embeds on the other hand I am only allowing on specific websites, so I can still block the whole "share this on Twitter" button tracking thing you'd otherwise allow too.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Elman posted:

My Firefox tabs keeps bugging out and overlapping like this:

I can just drag and drop them back in their correct place but it's annoying (and they can remain bugged if I place them in the wrong order). Does anyone know what's up with that?

I swear it feels like Firefox just really, really wants me to finally switch over to Chrome.

What extensions are you using?

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

WattsvilleBlues posted:

What extensions are you using?

Just Ublock and Gmail notifier, I never install anything else... Or so I thought, but I just checked and apparently I decided to try "Prevent tab overflow" at some point and completely forgot about it :downs:

Mystery solved. Thanks for the help.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Elman posted:

Just Ublock and Gmail notifier, I never install anything else... Or so I thought, but I just checked and apparently I decided to try "Prevent tab overflow" at some point and completely forgot about it :downs:

Mystery solved. Thanks for the help.

You're in for a treat come Firefox 57, glad you're sticking around a while longer :cheers:

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Hey, sorry if this is a silly question but is there an app for FF where if you ctrl-f to make it easier find you can find the location of the found string? Sometimes the text is small (or burried) and next to impossible to find. Kind of like how you have an option to hit CTRL in Windows to find the mouse pointer for ease-of-access?

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

slidebite posted:

Hey, sorry if this is a silly question but is there an app for FF where if you ctrl-f to make it easier find you can find the location of the found string? Sometimes the text is small (or burried) and next to impossible to find. Kind of like how you have an option to hit CTRL in Windows to find the mouse pointer for ease-of-access?

There was this really useful addon:
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/findbar-tweak/

But the author is abandoning it with the new version of Firefox

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

Does anyone have any recommendations for sites outlining what's tweakable in userchrome.css? I've never really messed it with before but I have a feeling I'm going to want to play around with stuff in 57. Obviously I could just Google this, but thought I'd ask if anyone had any personal favorites, also I'm guessing most of the Google results are going to be for pre-57 versions.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
Classic Theme Restorer guy was meant to be compiling a list of things you can do in userchrome but the github issue appears to have been closed.

I haven't found any good resources and a lot of the stuff you google is old and incorrect.

Just have to suck it up and ask here or the subreddit probably?

Edit: oh, there's a new repo for userchrome hacks. Makes sense. Have a look here: https://github.com/Aris-t2/CustomCSSforFx

~Coxy fucked around with this message at 05:49 on Oct 17, 2017

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

~Coxy posted:

Classic Theme Restorer guy was meant to be compiling a list of things you can do in userchrome but the github issue appears to have been closed.

I haven't found any good resources and a lot of the stuff you google is old and incorrect.

Just have to suck it up and ask here or the subreddit probably?

Well is there anyway to keep the toolbar elements small size and the corresponding toolbars taking up minimal vertical space using userchrome? And if so, can they keep the tabs on the bottom as well?

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

oh my god is that a circular saw that does not go in my mouth aaaaagh
Do the thing I said and you can change basically anything you like:

Avenging Dentist posted:

You can figure all this stuff out by opening the dev tools (Ctrl+Shift+K), clicking the gear near the right, enabling "browser chrome and add-on debugging toolboxes", then opening the Browser Toolbar (Ctrl+Shift+Alt+I) and messing around with the inspector there.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

~Coxy posted:

Edit: oh, there's a new repo for userchrome hacks. Makes sense. Have a look here: https://github.com/Aris-t2/CustomCSSforFx
Perfect, thanks.

Avenging Dentist posted:

Do the thing I said and you can change basically anything you like:
And thanks too.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Tamba posted:

:(

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
title stolen for lf posting

Tamba posted:

Yeah I use that all day long.

Pikestaff
Feb 17, 2013

Came here to bark at you

I guess I had an old beta install kicking around and I accidentally opened it instead of release Firefox. Had a bit of a shock from the UI change and went back to the old one, but for some reason simply opening beta one time hosed up all my Stylus scripts when I tried to go back to version 56.

I couldn't be bothered to fix that, so now I'm on beta, I guess. It's not bad so far. Pretty fast. Almost all of my addons carried over. :unsmith:

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope
That reminds me, is there any way of dumping all my old user styles from wherever stylish saved them and porting them to stylus?

Greasemonkey at least used regular rear end files that can be opened with a text editor even after the extension died.

Read
Dec 21, 2010

Wheany posted:

That reminds me, is there any way of dumping all my old user styles from wherever stylish saved them and porting them to stylus?

Greasemonkey at least used regular rear end files that can be opened with a text editor even after the extension died.

Stylus FAQ posted:

How can I export my user styles from Stylish for Firefox add-on?

Stylish for Firefox add-on does not support exporting to the JSON format at the moment. For now, use the following experimental extension to generate Stylus compatible JSON file.

Open about :debugging in a browser tab
Download this XPI
Point “Load as Temporary Add-on” to the downloaded XPI file
Wait for a few while until all your styles are converted

On successful conversion, you will get a JSON file on your desktop. This file can be exported to the Stylus add-on. Note that Stylish add-on needs to be enabled in order for the extension to be able to read Styles.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Is there a good solution for websites that demand whitelisting, so I don't have to whitelist them? My current method of mashing escape just as the page loads only works sometimes.

Im_Special
Jan 2, 2011

Look At This!!! WOW!
It's F*cking Nothing.
Use uBlock to block and prevent the script from running, that's essentially what you are already doing by mashing the Esc key.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Im_Special posted:

Use uBlock to block and prevent the script from running, that's essentially what you are already doing by mashing the Esc key.

How do you do that for sites that put their adblock detection as part of inline scripts along with scripts necessary to actually use the site?

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE
Disabled CTR on my FF56 install to see what the impact will be for 57 and Jesus loving Christ they better be adding more customization options because this is awful. Half the buttons I had set up are literally gone and I can't switch it back to tabs on bottom. Trying to search for add-ons to try and fix it is just showing garbage like 'add a Facebook button' and legacy stuff (you have a tag for 57 compatible mods Mozilla, why can't I set that as a search filter?).

In theory I could use the UserChrome to tweak things but it's layers of bullshit where I have to both unfuck the layout and also figure out what the modification I want is called/where it's located in the list (this was also a problem I had using the CTR extension but the GUI made that easier to manage). I'm also pretty sure that using UserChrome hacks is just going to bite me in the rear end down the road when they inevitably roll out another UI update.

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

isndl posted:

Disabled CTR on my FF56 install to see what the impact will be for 57 and Jesus loving Christ they better be adding more customization options because this is awful. Half the buttons I had set up are literally gone and I can't switch it back to tabs on bottom. Trying to search for add-ons to try and fix it is just showing garbage like 'add a Facebook button' and legacy stuff (you have a tag for 57 compatible mods Mozilla, why can't I set that as a search filter?).

In theory I could use the UserChrome to tweak things but it's layers of bullshit where I have to both unfuck the layout and also figure out what the modification I want is called/where it's located in the list (this was also a problem I had using the CTR extension but the GUI made that easier to manage). I'm also pretty sure that using UserChrome hacks is just going to bite me in the rear end down the road when they inevitably roll out another UI update.

new ui is actually cool and good, op

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
title stolen for lf posting

isndl posted:

I can't switch it back to tabs on bottom.
This matters a lot to me and it should be such an easy thing to do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No. 9
Feb 8, 2005

by R. Guyovich
Anyone else having issues with popular non-Youtube video/tube sites not controlling right? (Can't seek, volume fader doesn't work, etc.) Happening on multiple sites and it's annoying.