Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Toast Museum posted:

• Chrome View - Creates an "open this page in Chrome" context menu item.
  • Imgur Uploader - "upload image," "upload screenshot," and "upload partial screenshot" context menu items
  • Save Image in Folder - creates a context menu item for saving images to specific folders
I think "right click menu" would be a more appropriate name. The context menu should show options relevant to what you right clicked and nothing else. I hate every program or addon that violates this concept with a passion.

Which is why I need Menu Editor.

Here are 6 right click scenarios in my browser:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Biodome
Nov 21, 2006

Gerry
Yeah, but you're missing the search google for "whatever" option.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

Biodome posted:

Best right click menu option ever.

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
If you want to take a shot at me get in line, line
1 2 3!
Baby, I've had all my shots and I'm fine

HalloKitty posted:

Best right click menu option ever.

Best part: It's not even "search Google". It's "search using whatever engine you have picked in your search bar at this moment." Which is usually Google, yes, but could be Amazon, Wikipedia, etc.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Biodome posted:

It's not there, but I'm not missing it :v:

Copying text to the search bar is a tiny bit of mouse movement and one click extra, if it absolutely has to be done with the mouse. I generally just type what I search for in the search bar, because what I'm looking for is not on the page I'm looking at, or the search query needs editing anyway. CTRL+K with typing is faster most of the times, it doesn't require the dexterity needed to select the exact text that may or may not be part of (the descriptive label of) a link you don't intend to click, be at the beginning of invisible but illogically ordered page layout elements etc. And it's one single procedure for every search, so it's an easy habit.

Anyway, the addon allows you to enable or disable and order all available options, so if you want a Search Google option, you can certainly have it.

Disgustipated
Jul 28, 2003

Black metal ist krieg

Golbez posted:

Best part: It's not even "search Google". It's "search using whatever engine you have picked in your search bar at this moment." Which is usually Google, yes, but could be Amazon, Wikipedia, etc.
If you think that's awesome, check this out: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/context-search/

Dice Dice Baby
Aug 30, 2004
I like "faggots"

Disgustipated posted:

If you think that's awesome, check this out: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/context-search/

I used to use DictionarySearch to add custom searches in the context menu

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

Disgustipated posted:

Right-Down gesture with Firegestures :smug:

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Firefox 11 came out today, here are the release notes: http://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/11.0/releasenotes/

Download: http://download.mozilla.org/?product=firefox-11.0&os=win&lang=en-US

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

I'm your friend and I'm not going to just stand by and let you do this!
For those who've been using the non-release channels, how much (if any) increase in responsiveness have you noticed on SPDY-friendly websites?

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

So now that Sync works for addons, are they going to completely poo poo when I update and sync Firefox on different computers? I like the idea of addon settings being synced, but I'm not keen on it happening without my discretion. Is there any way to customize the addon-syncing?

The reason is because I'm syncing between three different operating systems with different addons. One of which (Linux Mint) has a number of Ubuntu-specific addons that I don't want/need on my other systems.

TwoKnives
Dec 25, 2004

Horrible, horrible shoes!

The Dark One posted:

For those who've been using the non-release channels, how much (if any) increase in responsiveness have you noticed on SPDY-friendly websites?

I don't have any first-hand experience, but the Security Now podcast covered SPDY in their latest episode if you're interested. http://www.grc.com/securitynow.htm

quote:

And I'll give you a benchmark which I also cover at the end of this explanation: They've got it running so that the average of the top 25 websites load in one-third the time.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
So I'm guessing I can remove this Siphon add-on syncer extension then?

Hopefully it is the case that add-on settings are synced so that any new mouse gestures or auto-fill forms I put in only need to be set up once!

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh

Question Mark Mound posted:

So I'm guessing I can remove this Siphon add-on syncer extension then?

Hopefully it is the case that add-on settings are synced so that any new mouse gestures or auto-fill forms I put in only need to be set up once!

Extension settings don't get synced, just the extensions themselves.

pipes!
Jul 10, 2001
Nap Ghost
:catdrugs:

Disgustipated
Jul 28, 2003

Black metal ist krieg

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Extension settings don't get synced, just the extensions themselves.
Extensions can sync their settings, but they have to include specific support for it. I know that ABP does. I don't know of any others, but there might be some. :iiam:

midnightclimax
Dec 3, 2011

by XyloJW
Anyone know an add-on that hides all menu/tool-bars, and just gives you the window frame and the web page? In windowed mode, respectively.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

midnightclimax posted:

Anyone know an add-on that hides all menu/tool-bars, and just gives you the window frame and the web page? In windowed mode, respectively.
I'm not on my computer right now to check but doesn't F11 do this?

midnightclimax
Dec 3, 2011

by XyloJW

Tunga posted:

I'm not on my computer right now to check but doesn't F11 do this?

Nope, that's just the full-screen mode. Basically I'd like the full-screen mode windowed. :ironicat:

lokk
Nov 18, 2005
i'm legit.
How do I make FF11 go back to displaying single image files the way the older versions worked (image in top left corner, white background)? I'm not digging the centered screen stuff.

Standish
May 21, 2001

lokk posted:

How do I make FF11 go back to displaying single image files the way the older versions worked (image in top left corner, white background)? I'm not digging the centered screen stuff.

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/old-default-image-style/

nescience
Jan 24, 2011

h'okay

butts! posted:

Just found out about this... might have to switch from Chrome to FF now.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Isn't there something you can do in about :config to do it, rather than installing an extension?

Fangs404
Dec 20, 2004

I time bomb.

butts! posted:

SO loving COOL

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

butts! posted:

Apparently the internet is some kind of hearty but extremely trippy layered cake:

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

butts! posted:

What is this and how do I do it?

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Right-click anywhere, select "inspect element", and then the bottom of the screen will have a '3D' button. Press that poo poo. I literally have no idea what any of it means, but it's incredible.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Tunga posted:

What is this and how do I do it?

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/tilt/?src=search

Fangs404
Dec 20, 2004

I time bomb.

You don't need an add-on. This is built into FF 11. However, it looks like the add-on offers quite a bit of extra functionality/analysis.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

YggiDee posted:

Right-click anywhere, select "inspect element", and then the bottom of the screen will have a '3D' button. Press that poo poo. I literally have no idea what any of it means, but it's incredible.
This has no practical purpose (for me) and is awesome.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Fangs404 posted:

You don't need an add-on. This is built into FF 11. However, it looks like the add-on offers quite a bit of extra functionality/analysis.

Ah, I'm still on 10, so that'd explain it.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Fangs404 posted:

Are you sure? I just upgraded to Firefox 11, and I don't see that anywhere. Here's what I see after clicking Inspect Element:

Where am I missing a 3D button?

indulgenthipster
Mar 16, 2004
Make that a pour over
I'm not sure if any developers will find the 3D mode actually helpful. You can even spin the page around and see everything in reverse. I will not deny it's really cool, but why did they spend the time on this instead of a built-in javascript debugger?

pipes!
Jul 10, 2001
Nap Ghost

VerySolidSnake posted:

I'm not sure if any developers will find the 3D mode actually helpful. You can even spin the page around and see everything in reverse. I will not deny it's really cool, but why did they spend the time on this instead of a built-in javascript debugger?

There's actually been a pretty strong push to "flatten" web design, in that you should be doing your best to lessen specificity to make your site design more modular, and therefore easier to maintain. This is actually a pretty good way to check and see what parts of the site need attention. Plus, it just looks cool.

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
1 2 3!
I'm enjoying the cat drugs, and actually it has educated me about our own site. For example, most other professional sites you'll see just layer upon layer of blue DIVs. Ours? Four nested red tables, all four taking up nearly the entire page. :facepalm:

Disgustipated
Jul 28, 2003

Black metal ist krieg

thrawn527 posted:

Are you sure? I just upgraded to Firefox 11, and I don't see that anywhere. Here's what I see after clicking Inspect Element:

Where am I missing a 3D button?
Should be at the bottom right, with HTML and Style.

If you go to about :support and scroll to the bottom what's it have in the Graphics section?

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Disgustipated posted:

Should be at the bottom right, with HTML and Style.

If you go to about :support and scroll to the bottom what's it have in the Graphics section?

Ah, it says a lot of things, but what stands out is "WebGL Renderer: false". I'm assuming I would need that? And that it's a graphics card thing that can't be enabled or anything?

I'm not surprised, this being a work computer and not a gaming machine or anything. I'll try when I get home to see if I have it there.

thrawn527 fucked around with this message at 15:24 on Mar 15, 2012

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Golbez posted:

I'm enjoying the cat drugs, and actually it has educated me about our own site. For example, most other professional sites you'll see just layer upon layer of blue DIVs. Ours? Four nested red tables, all four taking up nearly the entire page. :facepalm:

Had a similar experience. Our current (and new, I should add) helpdesk system is a clusterfuck of tables on tables with tables inside tables with single cell tables inside that, and so on.

It looks like a factory block. Want to see it? No? Tough; here it is:

HalloKitty fucked around with this message at 15:33 on Mar 15, 2012

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
1 2 3!
What I like about that is the random couple of divs in the middle. In fact, my favorite part about this is the colorcoding that lets me easily see where the divs and tables are.

Also how it shifts from tables only, to tables nested in divs.

So, on a modern PC, would we really gain any performance by streamlining these pages? Or is it simply a matter of making it more maintainable in general, getting away from the horror of nested tables?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Selavi
Jan 1, 2010
I don't see the 3d button either, and I have 11.0.