Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

I had a few live bookmarks a long time ago, but they were really annoying so I just tried various rss reader sites until I gave up and rolled tiny tiny rss on a shared webhost. Quite happy with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE
Maybe if Live Bookmarks wasn't so barebones I would have kept using it instead of turning to a feed reader extension. All I wanted was some kind of notification when a site updated. :shrug:

Storm One
Jan 12, 2011
RSS inside FF was always crap but the ability to tell at a glance if a site offered any feeds in order to subscribe with an external reader was definitely welcome. Awesome RSS works for that, at least.

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

so i go to this one web page a lot, and everytime i go to it, i click this checkbox. is there an extension that will check this for me everytime i load the page?

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007

Read posted:

I'm not sure how this would have been modified, but you don't get any UI when you set a new bookmark? Maybe check "browser.bookmarks.editDialog.showForNewBookmarks" in about :config?

Thanks for the tip, seems like this got set to false at some point (god knows how, I certainly haven't messed around in about :config in months)

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Abel Wingnut posted:

so i go to this one web page a lot, and everytime i go to it, i click this checkbox. is there an extension that will check this for me everytime i load the page?

Sounds like a good candidate for a user script

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

astral posted:

Sounds like a good candidate for a user script

hmm, looking into this now. would something like this work? i believe this checks all boxes on the page, but there's only one box so that's fine.

code:
(function() {
    'use strict';

var cBoxes=document.getElementsByTagName('input')

for (var i=0; i < cBoxes.length; i++) {

if (cBoxes[i].type=="checkbox") {

cBoxes[i].checked=true

}

}
})();

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

Abel Wingnut posted:

hmm, looking into this now. would something like this work? i believe this checks all boxes on the page, but there's only one box so that's fine.

code:
(function() {
    'use strict';

var cBoxes=document.getElementsByTagName('input')

for (var i=0; i < cBoxes.length; i++) {

if (cBoxes[i].type=="checkbox") {

cBoxes[i].checked=true

}

}
})();
Without much modification, you could have it look for the ID of that particular checkbox rather than looking for all inputs.

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

oh my god is that a circular saw that does not go in my mouth aaaaagh

Abel Wingnut posted:

As mentioned already, finding the element by ID would be best, but you can do the same thing as your code more simply like so:

code:
for (let i of document.querySelectorAll('input[type="checkbox"]')) {
  i.checked = true;
}

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

hmm, alright. i've never coded in js and found a script that seemed similar to what i was looking for and modded it. seems like i'm sort of on the right track.

so yes, i do have the id for that checkbox: toggleChkBox. so would the script then be:

code:
(function() {
    'use strict';

var cBoxes=document.getElementsByID('toggleChkBox')

if (cBoxes.id=="toggleChkBox") {

cBoxes.checked=true

}

}
)();
again, not a js coder so sorry if this is painfully dumb

abelwingnut fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Nov 4, 2018

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

oh my god is that a circular saw that does not go in my mouth aaaaagh
code:
document.getElementById('toggleChkBox').checked = true;
You said getElementsById, which won't work, and you don't need to check the id after getting the element. It's guaranteed to be the right element (or be null, in which case it won't work, but that shouldn't happen).

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

Nalin posted:

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/livemarks/

Be warned that using this will ruin your "recent bookmarks" functionality in the bookmarks menu and the home screen. I hope you didn't use that.

Oh, it also doesn't work well with Firefox Sync.

I don't use live bookmarks, I just used the functionality where it detects rss feeds on a page and also renders them as something other than raw xml. I already got extensions for those.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

Wheany posted:

I don't use live bookmarks, I just used the functionality where it detects rss feeds on a page and also renders them as something other than raw xml. I already got extensions for those.

That extension also renders the raw XML.

Pikestaff
Feb 17, 2013

Came here to bark at you

Is there a way to do the "Refresh Firefox" thing with mobile Firefox on Android? Every so often it does this thing where it stops loading pages completely and only a reinstall fixes it, but like, I'm lazy and hitting a button would be quicker.

c0burn
Sep 2, 2003

The KKKing

Pikestaff posted:

Is there a way to do the "Refresh Firefox" thing with mobile Firefox on Android? Every so often it does this thing where it stops loading pages completely and only a reinstall fixes it, but like, I'm lazy and hitting a button would be quicker.

You could probably clear data in system settings. You'd have to re log into to Firefox sync afterwards.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.
Is there a way to add "search google for this image" to the context menu when you right click an image?

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

Jewel Repetition posted:

Is there a way to add "search google for this image" to the context menu when you right click an image?

Context Search Origin allows that, among other things.

Fangs404
Dec 20, 2004

I time bomb.
What YouTube extension(s) are you guys using these days? I've been using YouTube High Definition for a long time now, which I love because it's simple and does exactly what I need (auto-HD, auto-expand video area, etc.), but it hasn't been updated in about a year and occasionally acts funky due to YT layout changes. I'm worried it's been abandoned or something happened to the dev, so I'd like to find a replacement.

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

Fangs404 posted:

What YouTube extension(s) are you guys using these days? I've been using YouTube High Definition for a long time now, which I love because it's simple and does exactly what I need (auto-HD, auto-expand video area, etc.), but it hasn't been updated in about a year and occasionally acts funky due to YT layout changes. I'm worried it's been abandoned or something happened to the dev, so I'd like to find a replacement.

YouTube Video and Audio Downloader is probably the best extension of its type if you download a lot of videos and/or convert them into different formats.

Fangs404
Dec 20, 2004

I time bomb.

overmind2000 posted:

YouTube Video and Audio Downloader is probably the best extension of its type if you download a lot of videos and/or convert them into different formats.

I rarely download YouTube videos (and when I do, I use the command line tool youtube-dl). I'm mostly looking for an extension to automatically pick the highest quality, automatically expand the video to take up more space, and automatically expand the video description box, which is what the extension I've been using does so well.

Im_Special
Jan 2, 2011

Look At This!!! WOW!
It's F*cking Nothing.
Enhancer for YouTube is what I use it also seems to be the most popular from user number perspective, so it's probably the best one. There's also Iridium which is a super dumb name because no one is going to think of Youtube stuff with a name like that, but I've also seen it recommend before.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
Youtube Subscription Manager.

If you follow a bunch of channels, you know how loving stupid it is that YT won't let you sort them into groups. That's what this extension does. Also, you can give each group its own name and icon to make things even easier.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

I use https://greasyfork.org/en/scripts/10523-youtube-always-theater-mode and https://greasyfork.org/en/scripts/11057-block-youtube-users for youtube. Videos go to HD automagically after a few seconds, for me .
Augment the latter by adding i.e. www.youtube.com##a.ytp-suggestion-set.ytp-videowall-still:if(.ytp-videowall-still-info-author:has-text(Linus Tech Tips)) to your uBlock Origin filters to also get rid of channels from the end of video suggestions.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope
[Circus music plays]
Mozilla adds "Close tab options" submenu to Firefox's tab context menu and puts "Close tabs to the right" and "Close other tabs" under the new submenu. The reasoning being that the context menu is getting big because of new actions. The two items chosen was a hunch, basically. (https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1480472)
Mozilla reverts change due to complaints after a few days. (https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1502083)

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
I remember when "Customise Right Click Menu" was a thing in the original Tab Mix Plus.

Good lord, but I miss that extension.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Fangs404 posted:

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-GB/firefox/addon/particle-iridium/

this one works for me. it does what you want and also it can turn off comment loading which saves a fuckton of cpu cycles because of all the javascript on youtubes these days.

especially nice if you're on a laptop so you don't have to listen to fans/burn battery when youtubing.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Wheany posted:

[Circus music plays]
Mozilla adds "Close tab options" submenu to Firefox's tab context menu and puts "Close tabs to the right" and "Close other tabs" under the new submenu. The reasoning being that the context menu is getting big because of new actions. The two items chosen was a hunch, basically. (https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1480472)
Mozilla reverts change due to complaints after a few days. (https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1502083)

12 items in a context menu is too many?
Should we remove "Bookmark All Tabs?" No, it's the children who are wrong.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

I don't know how people live without YouTube Link Title, especially with all the videos that get linked here on the forums. The script has been unmaintained for a while but it's simple enough that it's kept working perfectly.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Powered Descent posted:

I don't know how people live without YouTube Link Title, especially with all the videos that get linked here on the forums. The script has been unmaintained for a while but it's simple enough that it's kept working perfectly.

I lived without it because it was a feature of legacy SALR. I don't actually know if SALR Redux does it though; if not I'll port it over.

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.
Microsoft is reportedly dropping EdgeHTML for Chromium/Blink in their Edge browser. That would leave Firefox's Gecko as the only non-KHTML-derived browser engine left with any kind of significant marketshare.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope
Wait exactly 1 year.

rujasu
Dec 19, 2013

Wheany posted:

Wait exactly 1 year.

For what, Firefox adopting Blink too?

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope

rujasu posted:

For what, Firefox adopting Blink too?

Yes.

I mean it's only rational. It's duplicated effort and besides, it's still open source. Also Firefox can finally turn completely into Chrome, which is what they have wanted for so many years.

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.

Wheany posted:

Yes.

I mean it's only rational. It's duplicated effort and besides, it's still open source. Also Firefox can finally turn completely into Chrome, which is what they have wanted for so many years.

I think Mozilla's ideological dedication to web standards and free/open-source software will keep them from doing this until they literally run out of money for maintaining Gecko and Servo.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope
Tick tock tick tock
https://thenextweb.com/tech/2018/12/07/mozilla-is-deeply-concerned-about-microsoft-killing-edgehtml//

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

Abandoning Gecko for Blink means Mozilla would have to abandon Rust as well, and I can't see them leaving behind their seemingly long-term goal of writing the entire thing in Rust.

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
title stolen for lf posting
Maybe they shouldn't have rushed to be a lesser-Chrome and instead worked on the stuff that people wanted and were using.

These threads have been everywhere for a long while now. Read past the opening non-answer.

https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/questions/1184384

The smug anti-marketing of the mozilla reps doesnt help anything. Maybe they should fire some of the cheap teenage "design" people and hire some high level marketing people to do some actual research.

Modern comedy.

quote:

We compete with Google not because it’s a good business opportunity. We compete with Google because the health of the internet and online life depend on competition and choice.

History is also funny.

quote:

Just before the holiday weekend Mozilla announced that it had renewed its long-standing search revenue agreement with Google, which will reportedly net Mozilla $300 million a year (as part of a three-year contract). The renewed contract comprises the bulk of Mozilla's funding and is unquestionably a good deal for Mozilla. What's less immediately clear is why Google – which now has its own Chrome browser – would want to continue the deal.

quote:

quote:

just update my firefox and it looks very like google chrome !!!! is this right or is the something wrong with my install.

quote:

The interface you see in Firefox 29 is a major re-design (first one since Firefox 4) of Firefox's user interface called "Australis." We could argue about the UI similarity between 29 and Chrome but what good would that do? Main point is that Firefox is still way more customizable than Google and way more secure.

If you don't like the new Australis look, you can revert back to the view before Australis using the Classic Theme Restorer addon :kiddo:

Some of this stuff is just genius.

quote:

I find this highly hypocritical to state that Mozilla had this massive discourse and plastered many discussions inside Google Groups. That’s the LAST place I would ever look into for anything Mozilla related. The fact that you stated that there were discussions, and shared links to a Google Group, infuriates me so much. The hypocrisy in this is mind boggling.

Desuwa
Jun 2, 2011

I'm telling my mommy. That pubbie doesn't do video games right!
The real comedy is Australis getting dropped when old extensions died so people wouldn't leave once they were forced to use the default.

Pikestaff
Feb 17, 2013

Came here to bark at you

:( my Live Bookmarks are gone and I've never felt more lost

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
av/title/post combo holy poo poo i'm dying