Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

dud root posted:

Any recommendations for a Youtube downloader extension? I've tried a couple but they dont do 1080p

Seriously forget about browser extensions and get youtube-dl. Browser extensions are poo poo for this job and have a high rate of turning into crapware when they get popular.

1. get youtube-dl
2. get ffmpeg and extract that zip to the same folder where you put youtube-dl
3. open a command prompt to that folder and type "youtube-dl youtube.com/coolvideoIwanttodownload"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

There's also a GUI frontend for it, which makes the experience somewhat nicer. Especially if you want to download several videos.
Also, remember that YouTube-dl works for nearly every video host, it's not just limited to YouTube.

https://github.com/MrS0m30n3/youtube-dl-gui

Pilsner
Nov 23, 2002

I too recommend the Youtube-dl-gui (or Youtube-DLG as it's also called). I used the "YouTube Video and Audio Downloader" extension that overmind2000 posted for many years with no major issues, but these days I just prefer the separate program.

You can even supply the URL of a playlist, and it'll download the whole shebang.

Just remember that once in a while it'll start giving errors on every video due to Youtube changing internal stuff - then you typically just need to update the internal youtube-dl program, which can be done by clicking in gear icon in the top right, then Update in the menu.

One quirk I've found though, is that if you specify 1080p specifically, it'll sometimes not work. Try the different formats, I usually just use "default" and it'll get the best quality.

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

Lovin' every minute of it.
That (yt a&v dl'er) is one sweet extension.

E: oh hi new page

Hipster_Doofus fucked around with this message at 14:24 on Mar 27, 2019

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
Here's a little quality of life thing that probably no one but me will care about - websites asking for your location every goddamn time you visit them.

Go to about:config, type in geo.enabled and set it to false.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
i just use jdownloader for youtube personally

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Light Gun Man posted:

i just use jdownloader for youtube personally

Same, I haven't found many places it doesn't work.

Here's an issue,: I keep clicking through Captchas with the stupid "find the cars!" things but it takes like 15 sets for me to finally maybe get through and it keeps prompting me to 'please try again' as though I got them wrong. Is there a way to do anything about these loving things?

The WORST thing is when I enter my username/PW and have to go through 3 minutes of this poo poo just to log in and then it says 'wrong password' because of course.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope
Is there a way to expire/delete "first party isolated" third party cookies?

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

jokes posted:

Same, I haven't found many places it doesn't work.

Here's an issue,: I keep clicking through Captchas with the stupid "find the cars!" things but it takes like 15 sets for me to finally maybe get through and it keeps prompting me to 'please try again' as though I got them wrong. Is there a way to do anything about these loving things?

The WORST thing is when I enter my username/PW and have to go through 3 minutes of this poo poo just to log in and then it says 'wrong password' because of course.

Do you encounter this problem with Cloudflare a lot? I got that captcha a whole bunch when a website I was visiting was being DDoS'ed and my VPN kept triggering captcha's non-stop. I haaated that captcha, but then I got this extension and it made my life a whole lot better:

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/privacy-pass/

You do the captcha once and then the next 30 captchas are skipped.

Storm One
Jan 12, 2011

jokes posted:

Are you using resist fingerprinting? Google really hates that apparently.

Wheany posted:

Is there a way to expire/delete "first party isolated" third party cookies?

Set them to expire when FF closes (network.cookie.lifetimePolicy = 2), whitelist only the sites you want in the permissions manager (ctrl-i > permissions > set cookies "allow").

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

Lovin' every minute of it.

Ohhhh noice!

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

jokes posted:

I too feel like google's recaptcha hates me, and I think it's because I expire google's cookies & trackers (and everyone else's other than the ones from 1st-party sites I actively use).

On firefox I have to solve extra-long captchas, on vivaldi where I stay logged into google I frequently just click the checkbox and get passed.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Klyith posted:

I too feel like google's recaptcha hates me, and I think it's because I expire google's cookies & trackers (and everyone else's other than the ones from 1st-party sites I actively use).

On firefox I have to solve extra-long captchas, on vivaldi where I stay logged into google I frequently just click the checkbox and get passed.

Yes, you keep making yourself look just like a fresh bot. That's what you get in return.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Nalin posted:

Do you encounter this problem with Cloudflare a lot? I got that captcha a whole bunch when a website I was visiting was being DDoS'ed and my VPN kept triggering captcha's non-stop. I haaated that captcha, but then I got this extension and it made my life a whole lot better:

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/privacy-pass/

You do the captcha once and then the next 30 captchas are skipped.

This is awesome! thank you!

Eikre
May 2, 2009
Any of you fools know about Thunderbird?

I manage an inbox that I would prefer to not be caching or viewing at all, most of the time, but on the infrequent occasion that something shows up in it, I need to know about it so I can go handle it via my preferred means. Can I set an account to only query for the number of messages not marked "read," but otherwise do nothing? I would accept extensions or alternatives that don't actually involve using Thunderbird.

Also, the biggest reason I use Thunderbird (or any mail client at all) is for a macro engine called Quicktext. I was interested in hacking it a little. I'm just going to cross-post from the Javascript thread, because I believe that somebody with experience with Mozilla extensions may have something more to say about it than the Javascript monkeys did:

Eikre posted:

Okay, so I'm interested in making a modification to a Thunderbird extension called Quicktext.

Let me give you a little background: Quicktext is a utility written mostly in Javascript that puts buttons on your Thunderbird toolbar to execute user-defined macros. The macros themselves can also be written in Javascript, and the extension helpfully skims some data elements from the email you're writing and offers them as preset variables. So, for example, you can unleash RegEx on "this.mQuicktext.get_subject()" to isolate certain terms from the Subject line of the email and then have those terms populate fields in your template. Very useful if, for example, you're frequently following up with people on messages from an automated service.

All that said, the utility seems constrained by design to only insert text into the body of the email. If you go manipulate the XML document where your templates are stored, you can also coax it to append (but not change) information written between the <Head> tags, like To: and CC: entries. But it cannot (in any way that I've figured out, anyway) use one of your macros to manipulate any of the information that's already in the document you're writing, and it cannot consult the body of the email even as a static variable. So, in that example of getting an automated email and using it as the basis for your follow-up with someone else? If their email address happens to be included in the body of the message from the automatic service, you have no way of RegEx'ing it out, and even if you did, you would have no way of replacing whatever is currently in your To: field with that addressed you skimmed. You can't do any kind of find-and-replace. And that's some of the kind of poo poo I really wanna do.

Now. I'm looking at the source files on the Github and I can see some of how the logic works but I am not a seasoned code monkey and can't chase it down very quickly. If you look in \components\wzQuicktextVar.js you will find:

code:
function streamListener(aInspector)
{
  var newStreamListener = {
    mAttachments: [],
    mHeaders: [],

onStartRequest : function (aRequest, aContext)
    {
      this.mAttachments = [];
      this.mHeaders = [];
Further on, you can see that mAttachments and mHeaders end up being the strings that get further split apart and sanitized to become the set of variables that you can invoke in your macros. I don't yet grasp how the program is grabbing that information in the first place, but I have confirmed from using it that the proess continues to listen for updates to these fields; thus, if I'm composing an email and change the subject line, then I can return this.mQuicktext.get_subject() and print the modified subject to the email body. Another thing I don't fully understand is why I can't invoke functions or variables from the Quicktext js files, other than those that are specifically isolated for the user to play with.

I feel, though, that it shouldn't be difficult to kludge or break the right process to make the whole email document available to manipulation. If I could just get the entire document as a string, and also feed a string to a process that would replace the entire email, then I'd be able to automate pretty much anything worth doing, though perhaps at the highly manageable expense of being able to write a macro that crashes Thunderbird outright.

Thoughts? Ideas? Solutions? I would welcome a better off-the-shelf program for doing this kind of thing than the one I'm using, but I'm interested in this project as much as an educational exercise as a practical one. I even invite pedantic corrections, if I've just called something by the wrong term.

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

oh my god is that a circular saw that does not go in my mouth aaaaagh

Eikre posted:

I manage an inbox that I would prefer to not be caching or viewing at all, most of the time, but on the infrequent occasion that something shows up in it, I need to know about it so I can go handle it via my preferred means. Can I set an account to only query for the number of messages not marked "read," but otherwise do nothing?

Couldn't you just make the account as normal in TB and then collapse the account in the folder pane? Then it'll show the unread count and it won't take much space in the UI. You can also turn off local copies of message bodies under Account Settings -> Synchronization and Storage. Then Thunderbird will only store the headers for your messages.

Eikre posted:

Also, the biggest reason I use Thunderbird (or any mail client at all) is for a macro engine called Quicktext. I was interested in hacking it a little. I'm just going to cross-post from the Javascript thread, because I believe that somebody with experience with Mozilla extensions may have something more to say about it than the Javascript monkeys did:

You'd need to 1) get the msgHdr object so you can get the folder the message is contained in and 2) read the message body and store it somewhere. Something like this (insert around here):

code:
let msgHdr = messenger.msgHdrFromURI(msgURI);
let body = msgHdr.folder.getMsgTextFromStream(
  listener.inputStream, msgHdr.Charset, 65536, 32768, false, true, {}
);
// Do something with `body`...
See the IDL for getMsgTextFromStream for more info. Hopefully that's enough to get you started...

Avenging Dentist fucked around with this message at 18:32 on Apr 17, 2019

Eikre
May 2, 2009

Avenging Dentist posted:

Couldn't you just make the account as normal in TB and then collapse the account in the folder pane? Then it'll show the unread count and it won't take much space in the UI. You can also turn off local copies of message bodies under Account Settings -> Synchronization and Storage. Then Thunderbird will only store the headers for your messages.

Yeah, actually, I'm realizing it's a really stupid and weird notion, so lemme just cut through the X-Y problem: The mailbox recieves sensitive information that I don't want lingering on my machine, but I'm compelled to check it and leave the messages undeleted. So things that could also work for me are setting it only to download unread messages (so that I can read a new one, deal with it, and delete it locally), for it to encrypt the cache and demand a password to read messages, or whatever.

Avenging Dentist posted:

You'd need to 1) get the msgHdr object so you can get the folder the message is contained in and 2) read the message body and store it somewhere. Something like this (insert around here):

code:
let msgHdr = messenger.msgHdrFromURI(msgURI);
let body = msgHdr.folder.getMsgTextFromStream(
  listener.inputStream, msgHdr.Charset, 65536, 32768, false, true, {}
);
// Do something with `body`...
See the IDL for getMsgTextFromStream for more info. Hopefully that's enough to get you started...

That looks promising, I'm going to look into it tomorrow. I appreciate it.

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

Eikre posted:

Yeah, actually, I'm realizing it's a really stupid and weird notion, so lemme just cut through the X-Y problem: The mailbox recieves sensitive information that I don't want lingering on my machine, but I'm compelled to check it and leave the messages undeleted. So things that could also work for me are setting it only to download unread messages (so that I can read a new one, deal with it, and delete it locally), for it to encrypt the cache and demand a password to read messages, or whatever.

If you want that, then the safest is to never have the message on your machine at all. You might be able to hack something together that's safe enough by using the maildir folder storage (should be the default in new versions of TB), POP3 to fetch only new messages, and some careful setting of other options, but I feel like that'd be prone to error. If it were me, I'd just hack together something with Python's imaplib and have it check the unread status on your inbox every so often, then text/email/beep at you when there's new mail.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh
Just yesterday I heard about Firefox Lockbox. How does it compare to LastPass? I need a cross-browser, cross-platform password manager with a mobile app. I'm currently using LastPass but I'm told its security record isn't the best. I use 2FA with my account but if Lockbox duplicated all the features I need I'd switch.

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

If you're already using a password manager, I wouldn't recommend Lockbox (not yet, anyway). Last I checked, it still didn't support password generation of any kind, so I don't think there's much use for it, unless literally all you want is to share the passwords already saved on your desktop Firefox with your phone.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh
I tried Bitwarden and quite like it. The autofill isn't quite as reliable as LastPass but I read that that can be a security attack vector, is that correct?

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf
Kee.pm supports Google Chrome now so you could technically do a Dropbox + KeePass solution and it would be cross-platform, cross-browser, and mobile supported.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

WattsvilleBlues posted:

I tried Bitwarden and quite like it. The autofill isn't quite as reliable as LastPass but I read that that can be a security attack vector, is that correct?

Same, Bitwarden is perfect for me. And free! Supposedly the autofill is more conservative for security but I would actually just chalk it up to the fact that it's a one-man operation.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Just got a random message that Adblock Plus has been removed from my browser and that it is no longer supported despite showing up as a featured add-on in their store? Not really sure what's going on.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

FlamingLiberal posted:

Just got a random message that Adblock Plus has been removed from my browser and that it is no longer supported despite showing up as a featured add-on in their store? Not really sure what's going on.

You should have stopped using it years back when they started taking in a ton of money with the "pay us to have our users default to not blocking your ads" poo poo, lately they've been rather untrustworthy beyond that.

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

FlamingLiberal posted:

It's more than just that, I just had all of my addons except two be disabled. Stuff like noScript and uBlock origin. And I'm not the only one, it's already been posted to the mozilla support forums, but I can't safely use FF now because of it.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

I'm thinking it must be some kind of error on FF's end since it just happened very suddenly and there's nothing really showing up when you search for this issue except for people today saying that they got the message.

Furnok Dorn
Mar 30, 2004
SOCIALLY WORTHLESS SHUT-IN NERD
my firefox also got nuked, love this good work mozilla

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
Yeah it looks like they just nuked almost every add-on.

huhwhat
Apr 22, 2010

by sebmojo
I love you Firefox, but no, not without add-ons.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Real nice that they did this with zero notice, apparently I'm going to have to move to Chrome

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

FlamingLiberal posted:

Real nice that they did this with zero notice, apparently I'm going to have to move to Chrome

Might have been an accident, but yeah I'm thinking of grabbing palemoon now....but there's no easy way tog et all your passwords out of FF, of course.

I think I may have found the culprit. They're disabling all extensions with obfuscated code, and didn't bother to tell anyone in any noticeable way.

Or it could be the cert expiring. Hopefully that can be fixed a lot easier than the above.

Hunter Noventa fucked around with this message at 02:25 on May 4, 2019

Kammat
Feb 9, 2008
Odd Person
Apparently someone forgot to renew a cert that expired at midnight GMT. Oopsy!

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Kammat posted:

Apparently someone forgot to renew a cert that expired at midnight GMT. Oopsy!

This, and apparently it's an intermediate certificate so that could be why they didn't notice ahead of time. Still pretty bad though.

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

everybody relax, i'm here
Nap Ghost
Well it just happened to me, are they gonna fix it easily or am I re-adjusting my entire life.

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert
Glad I wasn't the only one with the issue.

On a related? note this message is in my options menu

"your organization has disabled the ability to change some options"

I don't go into the options menu that often but is this related to the addon bust? What does this mean? I have no org this is my own pc.

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE
Just got hit with the add-ons disabled popup myself on Android. I didn't even have time to read the message since it popped right as I was tapping to scroll down the page, which seems like rather terrible UI practice to allow you to exit the popup that easily - I thought it was some kind of malware advertisement so I went to check that uBlock was still working, which it apparently isn't.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

Supreme Allah posted:

Well it just happened to me, are they gonna fix it easily or am I re-adjusting my entire life.

You can switch to a Firefox derivative like Waterfox or Palemoon which should allow you to use most/all of your current extensions.

RichardA
Sep 1, 2006
Dinosaur Gum
Apparently in nightly, developer, android, or Linux you can use xpinstall.signatures.required set to false to disable the check.,

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anarchist Mae
Nov 5, 2009

by Reene
Lipstick Apathy
A temporary workaround:

• Navigate to about :debugging
  • Click the Load Temporary Add-on button
  • Navigate to the .xpi file in your profile directory select it and click Open.

To find your profile directory:

Windows: C:\Users\your username\AppData\Roaming\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\profile-id.default\extensions
Linux: ~/.mozilla/firefox/profile-id.default/extensions/
MacOS: ~/Library/Application Support/Firefox/Profiles/profile-id.default/extensions

Or just download the extensions you want from https://addons.mozilla.org/:

• Right click on the 'Add to Firefox' button
  • Choose 'Save Link As' from the menu
  • Save the .xpi file somewhere handy
  • Navigate to about :debugging
  • Click the 'Load Temporary Add-on' button
  • Navigate to the .xpi file you downloaded and open it

Anarchist Mae fucked around with this message at 04:14 on May 4, 2019