Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Weird question. I switched from Chrome to Firefox recently mainly for privacy issues. But I have one minor annoyance.

Chrome seemed to dull colors. I've read a bunch about why and am wondering if there is a way to make Firefox replicate that. It's an incredibly minor issue that I'm sure I'd get used to. But I hate how much brighter colors are on Firefox (mainly text links). Below is a screenshot of Firefox on the left and Chrome on the right. You can see the difference in the blues on the text (blue is mainly the color I notice the difference in).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Niwrad posted:

Weird question. I switched from Chrome to Firefox recently mainly for privacy issues. But I have one minor annoyance.

Chrome seemed to dull colors. I've read a bunch about why and am wondering if there is a way to make Firefox replicate that. It's an incredibly minor issue that I'm sure I'd get used to. But I hate how much brighter colors are on Firefox (mainly text links). Below is a screenshot of Firefox on the left and Chrome on the right. You can see the difference in the blues on the text (blue is mainly the color I notice the difference in).

If I recall correctly that's OS color profiles and yes there's a way to gently caress with it.

It was something real "why" the last time I had to gently caress with it though.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week
e nvm I was looking at my own chrome not zooming the screenshot

edit 2: do you have a HDR / wide gamut monitor?
on a wide gamut monitor check these settings: https://cameratico.com/guides/firefox-color-management/

Klyith fucked around with this message at 19:00 on Jan 23, 2020

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Klyith posted:

e nvm I was looking at my own chrome not zooming the screenshot

edit 2: do you have a HDR / wide gamut monitor?
on a wide gamut monitor check these settings: https://cameratico.com/guides/firefox-color-management/

Oh poo poo, that fixed it! Thank you very much. Those over-saturated colors were driving me nuts. Wasn't a huge issue on this site but any site in blue was terrible.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

isndl posted:

PIP is pretty great but I'd definitely like to have a way to kick it into fullscreen without clicking back into the original video tab. Right now it also stays in PIP mode if I fullscreen the original video frame without closing the PIP. :v:

agreed. I guess if you wanted that functionality bad enough, you could put the video tab on a different virtual desktop, and use OnTopReplica to replicate it on your primary desktop. Double clicking the replica window will fullscreen it.

Butt Savage
Aug 23, 2007
Thanks guys for your responses. Yeah, after thinking about your explanations as to why I’m overreacting, it’s a fool’s game to believe any other browser would fair that much better.

I abandoned Firefox for chrome years ago and recently came back around to using it again. I appreciate its flexibility and cool ideas Mozilla has for it (e.g, multi account containers). There are certain quality of life things that it has that other browsers don’t, so I’m reluctant to stop using it again.

Anyway, I’m sticking with it. Thanks again.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
I've been experiencing a weird new behavior on Firefox on Android over the last few days. I browse Twitter through the browser, and the first time I tap to 'heart' a tweet after loading Firefox, I get a dialogue asking me if I want to let Twitter vibrate my phone for notifications. Not a huge deal, but it is getting annoying.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
I feel like it's pretty scummy for Mozilla to spam their users.
Even worse, to unsubscribe an email address requires you to login, which is worse than even the typical scummy salesforce/whatever spam list.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Bieeanshee posted:

I've been experiencing a weird new behavior on Firefox on Android over the last few days. I browse Twitter through the browser, and the first time I tap to 'heart' a tweet after loading Firefox, I get a dialogue asking me if I want to let Twitter vibrate my phone for notifications. Not a huge deal, but it is getting annoying.

That's not Firefox being a dick per se, it's more like the world of web design is a world of dicks, Firefox implements the recently developed dick features of said web world and Twitter is a specific dick within this world, particularly fond of various dick designs.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

~Coxy posted:

I feel like it's pretty scummy for Mozilla to spam their users.
Even worse, to unsubscribe an email address requires you to login, which is worse than even the typical scummy salesforce/whatever spam list.
Weird, they have my email address and I don't get spam.

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE
I have a Mozilla account for device syncing and don't get spam emails either, maybe there was an opt-out I hit? :shrug:

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

I got three emails in 2019, not counting some password resets and the like, that are announcing new features. It is a bit odd that a free, open source thing tries to sell a particular new feature like they are products, instead of simply sending me a list of things that are new. Could be that the Mozilla people are practicing their marketable skills to get well paying jobs, could also be that they already have well paying jobs and don't know of any other way to communicate.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
This is even more confusing then. (I would not have posted in that way if I didn't think that everyone else would also have received the same message.)
I never got any emails from Mozilla except for confirm new sign-in until today.
I definitely would not have opted into "Firefox Account Tips"...

Pikestaff
Feb 17, 2013

Came here to bark at you

I get the occasional email from Mozilla but I think it's because I've donated to them before. I don't recall getting ever any Firefox tips emails though. :shrug:

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

Bieeanshee posted:

There may be a way to turn this off in about :config.

But, please go and download Fenix twitter client and use that. Twitter has been actively hostile to users on their site / official app for 7 or 8 years now, and if you don’t use a 3rd party app you are crazy.

Next you’ll be saying you don’t use the Awful app to browse here :cawg:

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope
About the image saving issue, can someone else test if they can download this image on the first try:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/smemon/5977304399/sizes/k/

If I right click on the image and select Save Image As..., it will just fail immediately, no matter how many times I try:

If I click on the Retry Download button in the download menu, it works fine and downloads the file.

Saving the image also works fine for me in Chrome. Edge saves the image as a png for some reason, so maybe there is something fucky there :confused:

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Are you using uMatrix? If so, you'll want to allow the 'other' category for the live.staticflickr.com row.

astral fucked around with this message at 09:44 on Jan 28, 2020

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

astral posted:

Are you using uMatrix? If so, you'll want to allow the 'other' category for the live.staticflickr.com row.

Oh poo poo, that might have done it. I don't see live.staticflicr.com there, but I allowed "other" for staticflickr.com.

Next question:
What is "other" and how can I detect this by myself in the future?

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Wheany posted:

Oh poo poo, that might have done it. I don't see live.staticflicr.com there, but I allowed "other" for staticflickr.com.

If you mouse around about a quarter of the way in the first column, you'll see a little arrow appear that you can click to expand/collapse domains. I like to keep it expanded for more precise rules, and you can still apply rules to the whole bunch if you want.

quote:

Next question:
What is "other" and how can I detect this by myself in the future?

Other is whatever's left over when you exclude the rest. See also: https://github.com/gorhill/uMatrix/wiki/The-popup-panel#the-type-cells

I detected it by popping open the umatrix logger (rightmost icon in the extension's popup) then doing the save-as that was causing trouble. It showed up in the logger as blocked by that rule.

e: you can click the entries in the third column in the logger (filled with "--" if something is blocked) for a neat shortcut

e2: I really do have no idea why/how saving an image falls into that category. I suspect it probably has something to do behind-the-scenes requests and the way the rules are layered, but :shrug:

astral fucked around with this message at 10:14 on Jan 28, 2020

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

I’m setting Firefox up on my sexy new computer and trying to optimize it like my old Firefox. Right now it is remembering everything that I’ve searched and providing a list of suggestions when I start typing, which I do not want at all. How can I turn this off? I don’t want Forefox to remember any site I’ve visited or terms I have searched.

Edit: I think I fixed it, it was under search options :doh:

Professor Shark fucked around with this message at 11:38 on Jan 30, 2020

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
I'd like to set up a button near/with my addons that adds:

outline.com/

to the front of any url currently on the address bar and then automatically goes to the new url. Are there any addons or scripts that can do this?

I'm not too literate in this sort of thing so explain it like I'm five. I'd appreciate it.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Zesty posted:

I'd like to set up a button near/with my addons that adds:

outline.com/

to the front of any url currently on the address bar and then automatically goes to the new url. Are there any addons or scripts that can do this?

I'm not too literate in this sort of thing so explain it like I'm five. I'd appreciate it.
You want the Redirect Link addon. You can add it to Firefox by clicking on the "add to firefox" button on that page. It'll ask for permissions, which you should give. Then it will tell you it dropped a button for it somewhere top right.

Now open a new tab and press ctrl-shift-a. You should be in the addons manager and see Redirect Link in the list of your addons with three dots next to it on the right. Click the dots and select options.

In the options, click remove on the right for all the rows. Then click add row on the left.

In the Title field, type: Outline this page. In the URL field, type: https://outline.com/%u

Click save. Close the tab and the addons manager if it's still open.

Now, whenever you're on a site you want outlined, either click the button that was added and select Outline this page, or right click somewhere on the webpage and select Outline this page.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
I expected it to be far more complicated but I appreciate you dumbing it down for me anyway. Thank you. :)

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Is there a way to make it so that Firefox does not remember which folder I recently placed a bookmark in?

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Professor Shark posted:

Is there a way to make it so that Firefox does not remember which folder I recently placed a bookmark in?

about :config
browser.bookmarks.editDialog.maxRecentFolders set to 0

LampkinsMateSteve
Jan 1, 2005

I've really fucked it. Have I fucked it?

Professor Shark posted:

I’m setting Firefox up on my sexy new computer and trying to optimize it like my old Firefox.

Do you not have access to your old computer at all? You can copy your old profile folder over and all your settings and saved information are reproduced exactly. I think it even opens the same tabs you had opened when you transferred.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

I'm seeing the weirdest issue where one of firefox's threads called Socket Thread is taking up 100% of one core, and another called Timer is taking up 50%.
Here's a log of what the firefox PID is doing, grabbed via dtruss, although it's an absolute mystery to me what's happening with those stack traces.

What's especially weird is that it also does it in safe-mode where all add-ons are supposed to be turned off, which means that unless I can figure out exactly what preference is doing it, it seems as if I have no solution but to create a new profile and migrate all of the extensions over manually (since naturally I can't risk copying the preferences) - or so it seems to me?
I would really appreciate some ideas.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Anything strange in about:debugging?

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

astral posted:

Anything strange in about :debugging?
Nope, nothing.

qsvui
Aug 23, 2003
some crazy thing
Is there any setting to automatically delete history older than a certain time? For example, don't keep history older than 3 months.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Welp, I guess we'll have to classify that: :iiam:
Firefox has apparently decided to stop doing what it was doing, so with the exception of the dtruss stack traces courtesey of dtrace, there's no way of knowing, since a zfs diff of two snapshots taken from before it started and after it started happening shows that the only files changed are a the .out files that I piped the output from dtruss to (so unlike situations where someone claims "they didn't change nothing", I can prove that I didn't change nothing).

qsvui posted:

Is there any setting to automatically delete history older than a certain time? For example, don't keep history older than 3 months.
This feature used to exist a long long time ago (more than a decade ago), but it seems it's long-gone?

There is an option in about :config that's called 'places.history.expiration.transient_current_max_pages' which might be used to emulate it, if you know roughly how many pages you visit a month?

EDIT: Or do this ↓?

BlankSystemDaemon fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Feb 2, 2020

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.
There's an extension named "History Cleaner" that does this.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Klyith posted:

about :config
browser.bookmarks.editDialog.maxRecentFolders set to 0

Thanks for this

LampkinsMateSteve posted:

Do you not have access to your old computer at all? You can copy your old profile folder over and all your settings and saved information are reproduced exactly. I think it even opens the same tabs you had opened when you transferred.

My last one did it too

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

A friend of mine is finally dipping his toes into Firefox Quantum because he's tired of dealing with Waterfox (and living in the past, I guess) and is looking for a way to make it so he can click the currently selected tab to swap to the previously selected tab.
Is this even possible anymore? (:rip: Tab Mix Plus.)

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Well, he can do ^tab to switch between the most recent tab and the second most recent tab, and if ctrl is held, a tab selector pops up showing up to six most recently selected tabs. That's the best I can come up with, at least.

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

Geemer posted:

A friend of mine is finally dipping his toes into Firefox Quantum because he's tired of dealing with Waterfox (and living in the past, I guess) and is looking for a way to make it so he can click the currently selected tab to swap to the previously selected tab.
Is this even possible anymore? (:rip: Tab Mix Plus.)

Did even tab mix plus let you subvert the most basic user interface like that?

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

wooger posted:

Did even tab mix plus let you subvert the most basic user interface like that?

It's what he's using to do it in WaterFox right now (and normal Firefox before quantum).

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
title stolen for lf posting

Geemer posted:

(and normal real Firefox before quantum).

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

Has anyone noticed an uptick in out of memory errors since ~72.0.0? I leave a tab open on my home PC that refreshes every few minutes via location.reload() via an add-on and I start seeing it crash after ~5 hours. It's really annoying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Nth Doctor posted:

Has anyone noticed an uptick in out of memory errors since ~72.0.0? I leave a tab open on my home PC that refreshes every few minutes via location.reload() via an add-on and I start seeing it crash after ~5 hours. It's really annoying.

How much RAM do you have? I have had one single out of memory situation across two laptops with 8 gig and it was due to a Java app I had written myself. :kiddo:

On 4 gigs, both Chrome and old Firefox would poo poo themselves fairly often.