Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009
I think my Firefox is broken now, somehow. And it's not the addons because it behaves in the same way with the addons disabled. It's probably my about :config messing around and I just forgot what I changed.

Visiting OpenImages today and I see this in Firefox:

In Google Chrome:

In the console I see this error logged, so it "could" be just Openimages themselves being broken, though it's not broken in Chrome:

I also, lately, noticed that google images for random searches sometimes show the preview and sometimes they do not. The 2 things could be related.

Did I break it by changing the wrong things in about :config? I only remember lately changing the settings that disable the new URL bar, but nothing else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

If it's any comfort, I'm getting the same results in Firefox.

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Maybe if I'm busy it could keep me from you

Broken for me as well, so I'm willing to bet they changed something on their side that wrecked it.

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009
Thank you for the information. Yes, it is comforting to know "it's not just me" :) .

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
I know those 'four little words' mean more than anything whenever I post about a problem in this thread.

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

This is just going to be another hosed up thing to do with webp isn't it? Mother fuckers want tracking in everything and will break the internet to get it.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Inceltown posted:

This is just going to be another hosed up thing to do with webp isn't it? Mother fuckers want tracking in everything and will break the internet to get it.

What does webp have up do with tracking? I thought it was just an image format.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
What's the best Dark Mode plugin to use with the SA forums on Firefox? The one I have is mostly good the the "last read post" buttons are unreadable.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Zero VGS posted:

What's the best Dark Mode plugin to use with the SA forums on Firefox? The one I have is mostly good the the "last read post" buttons are unreadable.
Why a dark mode plugin? Why not just a userstyle that can be installed as a userscript in TamperMonkey or its equivalents?

BlankSystemDaemon fucked around with this message at 09:30 on May 28, 2020

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

D. Ebdrup posted:

Why a dark mode plugin? Why not just a userstyle that can be installed as a userscript in TamperMonkey or its equivalents?

Uhhh that sounds a little advanced for me. I just want to push button.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Zero VGS posted:

Uhhh that sounds a little advanced for me. I just want to push button.

Stylus is pretty good and you can push button to install the same user style they linked without bringing in user javascript.

Im_Special
Jan 2, 2011

Look At This!!! WOW!
It's F*cking Nothing.
Does it have to be a plugin? Why not just put on some Sunglasses.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope
Speaking of tampermonkey, does it hang for several seconds any time you click on the toolbar button for anyone else?

As in click -> like 10 seconds where the whole browser is unresponsive -> toolbar popup

Wiltsghost
Mar 27, 2011

New twitter design is garbage. Is there anyway to show tweet notifications now? The little number that would show up in the tab?

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009

Wiltsghost posted:

New twitter design is garbage. Is there anyway to show tweet notifications now? The little number that would show up in the tab?

I don't even understand how anyone could prefer this layout?

Im_Special
Jan 2, 2011

Look At This!!! WOW!
It's F*cking Nothing.
Tomorrow's (err.. today) is the big "forced Megabar" day, who else excited for the shitstorm that's going to happen on reddit?

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

Jippa posted:

I don't even understand how anyone could prefer this layout?

Twitter’s website and official apps have been unusable garbage forever.

If you don’t use a 3rd party client app on your phone, and at least tweetdeck on desktop web, you’re crazy.

I wish there was a way to filter out everyone using the official app/site.

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

Im_Special posted:

Tomorrow's (err.. today) is the big "forced Megabar" day, who else excited for the shitstorm that's going to happen on reddit?

I'm sure plenty of designers are ready to explain how their design is infinitely superior to what their users want.

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008
I've updated and while I turned it off last update and still find it ugly, it's suddenly lost on me as to what's actually functionally different.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Mine just updated and it completely busted ublock, which is annoying.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

The biggest thing for me is how it keeps your place while Twitter is in another tab but once you go back to it, it immediately scrolls you to the top and you have to go down to read what you missed. The old version (and the current mobile app) kept your place and expanded new tweets upwards so you could scroll up to the top to catch up. It's such an obviously dumb design choice.

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

Fabricated posted:

Mine just updated and it completely busted ublock, which is annoying.

Purge caches and update the filters, one of the Easylist filters was faulty for a short while two days ago.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
I really want to hide the what's happening thing.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Jippa posted:

I really want to hide the what's happening thing.
uBlock Origin has the same kind of cosmetic filters that Adblock Plus and so on also supports, all the way to when they were called filterset.g around 2005.
They basically let you block stuff based on the ID of the container or based on the nesting level that the container has.
The first option won't work for sites like twitter where they use randomly generated and periodically refreshed IDs to prevent people from blocking people, but by virtue of the design of the site itself, sections like "What's Happening" and "Global Trends" can still be blocked.
To do this, right-click on part of the element you want to zap, then click block element, and find a rule where the outline matches what you want to block and which ends in ":nth-of-type(N)" where N is an integer (it refers to the nesting level, iirc).

Unfortunately there's a new form of UX design where everything is loaded as javascript and rendered as a DOM object by javascript to html, through software like REACT, which lets sites even change the nesting level per-view if they want to make it really difficult. :(

CatHorse
Jan 5, 2008

Lambert posted:

Purge caches and update the filters, one of the Easylist filters was faulty for a short while two days ago.

I had to reset Firefox because extensions stopped working (uBlock Origin was only showing menu without buttons) and some websites (Twitter and Raddit) refused to load even in safe mode.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf
browser.urlbar.openViewOnFocus doesn't work anymore in the Firefox 78 beta. Every time you click the URL bar that stupid dropdown appears and of course you can't close it without clicking somewhere on the stupid webpage because it doesn't remove focus if you click on any non-page content part of the browser. Stupid.

I was fine with it popping up if I started typing, but making it pop up when the URL bar gets focused is dog poo poo because to close it you have to unsafely click on the webpage or press ESC on the keyboard. I've been able to close it by clicking stuff like the bookmarks toolbar for so long its practically muscle memory now so every single stupid time I end up clicking around like a dumbass before I have to reach out and hit ESC and gently caress you Mozilla gently caress you.

Can't even copy a URL anymore without having to deal with this annoyance.

Im_Special
Jan 2, 2011

Look At This!!! WOW!
It's F*cking Nothing.
Well that's on you. Should have provided feedback to the people pretending to care over at Mozilla.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

Im_Special posted:

Well that's on you. Should have provided feedback to the people pretending to care over at Mozilla.

I actually clicked the feedback link on the beta patch notes page and launched a big 'ol frowny face at them.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Ugh, that's going to frustrate me if it makes it out of beta.

Nalin posted:

Can't even copy a URL anymore without having to deal with this annoyance.

One way to work around it for this case might be to click the three dots that I usually ignore and then choose 'copy link'.

Also if you right click the URL bar and choose copy from there it doesn't pop up the url bar menu.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf
I ranted on reddit and somebody told me a solution:

Pi77Bull on reddit posted:

browser.urlbar.suggest.topsites or uncheck the checkbox "Top Sites" in Preferences > Privacy & Search > Address Bar

I've confirmed that it does stop the URL bar pop-up from expanding if it receives focus. And you can leave the other options enabled so you can search your history by typing in the URL bar, which is what I sometimes do.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Nalin posted:

I've confirmed that it does stop the URL bar pop-up from expanding if it receives focus. And you can leave the other options enabled so you can search your history by typing in the URL bar, which is what I sometimes do.

Nice find!

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Nalin posted:

The mind is absofuckinglutely boggled by why the gently caress that OID controls the setting, though.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

D. Ebdrup posted:

The mind is absofuckinglutely boggled by why the gently caress that OID controls the setting, though.

The point of it popping up when you haven't typed anything yet seemed to be to push those top sites at you. Makes sense to me that disabling the top site suggestions prevents a then-unnecessary popup.

Pikestaff
Feb 17, 2013

Came here to bark at you

Nalin posted:

this fix doesn't work for me :shrug: guess I'm stuck with the jumbobar.

Anyway, back to twitterchat, I've found an addon that streamlines new twitter a bit and makes it less obnoxious to use overall, as much as it can. It also auto-sets you to latest tweets every time so you aren't constantly being forced into "top tweets". https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/tweak-new-twitter/

(I've still yet to figure out why new twitter deletes all my display settings, i.e. dark mode, every time I re-open or refresh the tab, though. It does this even with all addons disabled. If anyone else has suggestions I'm all ears.)

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Pikestaff posted:

this fix doesn't work for me :shrug: guess I'm stuck with the jumbobar.

Are you on 77 or 78? The fix Nalin posted was for 78; for 77 it's still browser.urlbar.openViewOnFocus

Pikestaff
Feb 17, 2013

Came here to bark at you

astral posted:

Are you on 77 or 78? The fix Nalin posted was for 78; for 77 it's still browser.urlbar.openViewOnFocus

Alright, I'm on 77, but oddly this one won't work for me either even after a browser restart.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer

Im_Special posted:

Oh, is that why my bar seems to have completely forgotten that there's a browser history?

quote:

Anyway, back to twitterchat, I've found an addon that streamlines new twitter a bit and makes it less obnoxious to use overall, as much as it can. It also auto-sets you to latest tweets every time so you aren't constantly being forced into "top tweets". https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/tweak-new-twitter/

Holy poo poo, this is worse than useless on mine. My feed keeps bouncing up and down like it's jacking Jack off.

Edit: poo poo, if this isn't an excuse to dump this sorry browser. It won't load my favourite take-out place's menu any more. Bravo!

Bieeanshee fucked around with this message at 00:01 on Jun 3, 2020

thehoodie
Feb 8, 2011

"Eat something made with love and joy - and be forgiven"
I have a very frustrating error right now that seems to be affecting some but not all of my extensions. For instance, OneTab is now unresponsive. I noted it is a bit out of date so tried installing Simple Tab Groups, but that hangs on loading and then crashes (there is apparently a log somewhere but I can't figure out where). Similarly, LeechBlock says this: "Error: Unable to retrieve options from browser storage."

I've tried clearing cookies and cache but that didn't fix anything. Also reinstalled all these extensions and had similarly no results. Not really sure what else to do. Help please?

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

Pikestaff posted:

Alright, I'm on 77, but oddly this one won't work for me either even after a browser restart.

When you say "jumbobar" do you mean the URL bar growing larger when it is focused? You can only stop that with CSS hacks. This just prevents it from opening up its drop-down list when you click on it. It only opens the list when you start typing something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CatHorse
Jan 5, 2008

thehoodie posted:

I have a very frustrating error right now that seems to be affecting some but not all of my extensions. For instance, OneTab is now unresponsive. I noted it is a bit out of date so tried installing Simple Tab Groups, but that hangs on loading and then crashes (there is apparently a log somewhere but I can't figure out where). Similarly, LeechBlock says this: "Error: Unable to retrieve options from browser storage."

I've tried clearing cookies and cache but that didn't fix anything. Also reinstalled all these extensions and had similarly no results. Not really sure what else to do. Help please?

Refreshing Firefox helped me. about :support -> Refresh Firefox