Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe
Parts of a Flash-based site that I visit have started behaving oddly. I want to clear my cache of files from that site only before I contact the site support to ask them what's up. How can I do this? I am using the current major version of Firefox, don't know if it is the absolute most up-to-date version.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

Jade Ear Joe
I find that when I visit some pages that use (I assume) JavaScript to transform LaTeX syntax to presentable mathematics, Firefox causes my computer to hang for several seconds while it does... something. And I really do mean that it causes my computer to hang, not just Firefox: the mouse pointer stops responding, Winamp stops playing for a few seconds, etc. For examples, most pages of math.stackexchange.com exhibit this effect. For example, http://math.stackexchange.com/questions/361386/is-there-a-formula-for-sum-n-1k-frac1n3.

This effect happens only the first time I visit a page like this in a given session. If I visit another page later in the same session then no disruption occurs. Anyone able to offer any insight into why this happens and whether there's a fix? Surely it's unusual for the browser to bring the whole system to a halt in that way, even though it's only a brief effect.

Edit: Searching around a bit, it looks like this is a problem with a piece of software called MathJax and it may apparently occur in a number of different browsers, so this is probably not a suitable question for this thread.

Hammerite fucked around with this message at 23:51 on Apr 14, 2013

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

Jade Ear Joe

Alereon posted:

You really shouldn't be having that problem, I don't see similar behavior when loading that page. My initial suspicions would be crappy security software or outdated video drivers.

I read on various sites that this issue is related to what fonts are installed on the system, surprising though that seems.