Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

It's up to you to trust or distrust this fix, but it worked immediately for me. Could be I'm a sucker.

https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=19826903

quote:

But anyways, don't use this now, use the semi-official fix of clicking on this link and letting it install: https://storage.googleapis.com/moz-fx-normandy-prod-addons/e...

This is the fix Mozilla has published to be installed via shield studies, but skipping the shield studies part. You can be sure it's not malicious because it is signed by Mozilla... and if your browser installed unsigned extensions you wouldn't be looking for this solution in the first place.

You can clean it up afterward by following this instruction:
https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=19827428

quote:

I would just delete it from <profile>/extensions.

edit: I'm an idiot and this was explained a page back.

doctorfrog fucked around with this message at 21:25 on May 4, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Additionally, they should add an option to never auto play videos, especially on mobile.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Is new tab or new window not defaulting focus to the address bar for anyone else?

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

I was watching Netflix's Hill House show, and was wondering why they'd serve up their own programming looking like poo poo. Well, they just stream crappy quality to Firefox is how. This plugin signals to Netflix that it's OK to stream actual 1080p content. https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/force-1080p-netflix/

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

it's fine. tail looks more like fire and less like furry tail. that's fine too.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

doctorfrog posted:

Is new tab or new window not defaulting focus to the address bar for anyone else?

Welp it’s working after the latest update. Then Firefox suggested I pin tabs I want to be alerted to page content updates with, and I said sure, and that feature didn’t seem to work and it was gobbling up a buncha RAM anyhow so I stopped using it the same day.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Harik posted:

The netflix 1080p plugin from a few days back got completely nuked, no trace remaining but some dead links to the same URL. Anyone know if the author has a site?
Look here for the github and discussion around this: https://github.com/vladikoff/netflix-1080p-firefox/issues/28

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

I use Enhancer for Youtube to force settings like quality and to disable annotations and such. This is partly because I whitelist cookies and YouTube isn’t on the whitelist, and I was tired of setting all that stuff. Works pretty good for that.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Klyith posted:

Firefox 69:huh: is out, which means that anyone who likes using userchrome.css needs to

But also it now has a new Enhanced Autoplay Blocking which allows you to block autoplaying video even if it's mute which is very cool. I've definitely noticed a trend on some websites to have every drat story icon be a video (the ex-gawker sites are really bad with this). To change this go to Privacy & Security in the Options menu, scroll down to Permissions, and check the Autoplay settings. Set it to "block audio and video" if you want to halt all those dumb video thumbnails.

Plus some other improvements including one that should improve battery and/or multiprocessing on Win10 by changing priority of content threads.

And in other news, Mozilla has announced that they won't be following Google's change to extensions that will cripple ad-blocking. Hooray! :toot:

This is about drat time and really good news. gently caress ads and autoplaying videos.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Is Diceware still a decent way to get a good master password?

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Curious what makes Portable Firefox garbage. I’ve used it on and off for years.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Never heard about these either.

poo poo, I remember backing up all my poo poo one CD at a time. Goddamn, my NAS is only 2TB.

Same. Still got 'em, though they're probably full of those little pinholes now.

Now that I think about it, I used to keep stuff on Zip drives. One for documents, one for "assorted pictures from newsgroups."

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

I don't see a lot of this, but I've been pretty drat happy with Firefox lately. The only thing I'd really wanna remove is Pocket: have it be a preinstalled extension at worst.

New logo's fine.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Nalin posted:

Yeah. And if you hate Pocket, you can remove it from your URL bar with a right-click. Then it only exists as a single entry in your right-click menu. I hardly ever notice that it still exists.

Avenging Dentist posted:

Or just purge it outright by toggling extensions.pocket.enabled (note: this doesn't apply to the stuff in the new tab page, which is disabled through the Preferences UI).

Both true. I actually use and like Pocket, but there's just this purity thing in my head that still resents stuff added by default without prior consent. Hangover I guess... from every moment of using a computer since the mid nineties.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Does about:memory give any clues?

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Weird. Welp, there's safe mode and the Minimize memory usage button. Good luck with that 12 GB goiter, I hope it resolves itself.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

me. Although a couple times last year all my saved tabs vanished to the land of wind and ghosts, which was annoying but also kind of a relief.
:woop:picture in picture!:woop:

doctorfrog fucked around with this message at 08:04 on Dec 4, 2019

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Sab669 posted:

I don't really "understand" the Picture in Picture. I mean, like, I understand the purpose but what kind of hardware are you on? A single 1080p monitor? Some dinky 1366x768 laptop?

I only have a single 2560x1440 monitor and that's perfectly fine to split my screen 50-50 between 2 browser windows. One for watching YouTube/Twitch or VLC and then surf the internet in the other window.

According to this website Firefox is roughly 8% of internet users. Presumably power users / enthusiasts for the most part. Who, I imagine, also mostly have better-than-average hardware? Maybe that's niave of me?
It's just nice to move a video off the browser window.

I also probably do not have as nice a PC as you do, so maybe that's it also.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Sab669 posted:

I was a fool. Picture in picture is actually great.

It's real nice to have. I do miss not having access to volume controls on the player and would not mind a globally configurable pause key, but it's like a backup camera on a car, you get dependent on it real fast.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

eames posted:

Is there a way to show the netflix debug overlay in Firefox on macOS? I resubscribed for the first time since switching to FF but the quality seems close to 480p or worse. ctrl-option-shift-s isn't working.

You can also search Netflix for Test Patterns videos, which include the resolution and some other stuff that Netflix is pushing to you.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Applebees posted:

Netflix will only deliver 720p to Firefox. From https://help.netflix.com/en/node/23742

:ssh:
https://github.com/vladikoff/netflix-1080p-firefox

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

MohShuvuu posted:

How do you install this?

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/netflix-1080p/

Note the risk:

quote:

This extension isn’t monitored by Mozilla. Make sure you trust the extension before you install it.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

isndl posted:

PIP is pretty great but I'd definitely like to have a way to kick it into fullscreen without clicking back into the original video tab. Right now it also stays in PIP mode if I fullscreen the original video frame without closing the PIP. :v:

agreed. I guess if you wanted that functionality bad enough, you could put the video tab on a different virtual desktop, and use OnTopReplica to replicate it on your primary desktop. Double clicking the replica window will fullscreen it.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

~Coxy posted:

I feel like it's pretty scummy for Mozilla to spam their users.
Even worse, to unsubscribe an email address requires you to login, which is worse than even the typical scummy salesforce/whatever spam list.
Weird, they have my email address and I don't get spam.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

ghacks explains it to folks, like me, who don't know what it is: https://www.ghacks.net/2020/02/26/if-you-run-ublock-origin-use-the-firefox-version-as-it-offers-better-protection/

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Splinter posted:

Is there much point to running Privacy Badger on top of Firefox tracking protection?

Do I know for sure? No. But its policies make basic sense. If something isn't on the tracking protection list, it might catch 'em. Actually, if it catches anything, isn't it catching stuff basic protection is missing anyway?

privacy badger web site posted:

Privacy Badger starts blocking once it sees the same tracker on three different websites. Three strikes and it's out! If you use other privacy tools or ad blockers, Privacy Badger will learn less, but that's OK, it might catch things your other blockers miss.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Lambert posted:

I like listening to YT videos while on the go or when going to sleep. Being able to listen without any annoying interruptions and with the screen off is valuable.

Also, can't wait to get into the Gmail Music beta!

youtube-dl can rip to a sound file. I did it for lullaby stuff for my kid when she was a baby and I didn't want a screen involved. Granted, this is probably not a solution for streaming.

Speaking of which (and yes this is going off topic) I've used the old Streamripper program to rip days' worth of the equally ancient Sleepbot stream for sleep purposes.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Im_Special posted:

And in other news, a new Windows Scheduled Task added along with a new telemetry collecting program "default-browser-agent.exe" installed with 75.0. Yes, Mozilla people are switching.

Ugh, why's everyone got to try to be like the big boy businesses and do their own little data-gathering operation. At least they respect my privacy setting, but I bet this is just the start.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Bieeanshee posted:

I was fine providing performance information when they asked me to, but I wouldn't have known about this if I wasn't reading this thread. If you ask me, I'm much more likely to say 'yes' than if you ask my forgiveness.
:same: I turned it all off after this. This was a really dumb decision.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Klyith posted:

Just gonna :smug: self-quote here:
Changing the urlbar isn't usability, it's removing stuff that relies on code they want to deprecate and remove. The XUL-removal project has been going on for years now, the extension-apocalypse back in v57 was the first cut. That's why the pref to revert is only sticking around for two versions: this is your grace period to find or make alternatives if you don't like the new thing.

Why they made the new megabar look and behave like it does, not just design the new thing to look like the old thing? I have no idea. That's the mozilla way.

Yeah, I'm cranky when software changes, but I'm more wary of the opt-in telemetry--however basic it may be, it's indicative of an internal attitude change--than the oddball user design choice.

It's still a really good browser for my uses and privacy concerns. I think it has a large enough nerdshare that I'd know well in advance of it becoming a real dumpster fire.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Firefox has notified me that PIP now supports double clicking to make it fullscreen.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Users are more likely to stay engaged if they click on a video they hate then can scroll through comments they despise when they don’t hate the video enough.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Folks,
Simple Firefox Backup

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

In my experience, it's usually some combination of scripts somewhere. I use Google Docs a lot in multiple open windows and that'll do it. The biggest offender I've found was Dark Reader, an add-on that churned through all the colors on a web page and made them dark-friendly.

Maybe it's my years as a broke dude with an old computer, but when I want to play a game, I usually close stuff like Firefox.

doctorfrog fucked around with this message at 01:40 on Jun 23, 2020

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Pinned tab with game running on it? What does about:performance say?

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

250 people? How many are left? A thousand?

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Megillah Gorilla posted:

If they were that good, they should have seen it coming.

First, you fire the threat prediction team, then the threat management team.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Fame Douglas posted:

Microsoft Edge is good. It's Chrome, but it has tab mute (which is pretty much the only reason to use it over Chrome). Also, instead of annoying you with Google login prompts, it annoys you with Microsoft account login prompts.

And it has terrible feature creep compared to Chrome, but luckily, those extra features can be ignored. Extensions can be installed directly from the Chrome Web Store (just enable "Allow extensions from other stores" in the bottom left corner of the Extensions window)

I use Edge for Netflix only, since Netflix doesn't stream high quality through Firefox. The little new tab page with your favorite bookmarks will occasionally insert links for Microsoft's "partners," which is advertising I don't think you can turn off. I'm a bit reactionary, but that's a dealbreaker all on its own.

For my part, Firefox is still really good and this announcement sucks but I'm waiting before jumping ship. Mozilla seems like a really poorly run organization if they were hiring 1000 people to do what they've been doing (or I should say what of their products I've been consuming). You can put me in the minority "I would pay a reasonable sum for a good browser divorced from corporate bullshit" camp.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Fame Douglas posted:

I have never seen this, but maybe they just don't have any ads in my region. Do you have "Content" set to "off" in the Custom New Tab settings?

I’m probably out of date, the option for me is Top Sites, Top Sites and Suggested Content, and A blank page. I’ve had “Top Sites” selected since starting to use it. Haven’t seen an ad tile for about a month, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

This isn't Firefox-specific, but it's a helpful item to pair with other ad-blocking and other nonsense de-fuckifiers. It's a bookmarklet, that, when clicked, removes those header and footer bars that clutter up sites like Medium and nytimes.com.

https://dan.hersam.com/2019/09/06/cleaning-up-the-web/