Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bsaber
Jul 27, 2007
I've been using Chrome for almost a year now and want to switch back to Firefox. Not a deal breaker but in Chrome I could right click on hightlighted text and have it read back to me via Mac OS's built-in text to speech engine. This option isn't available in Firefox and using the combo key to initiate it doesn't work either. Anyone know how to fix this?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bsaber
Jul 27, 2007
If you're on Windows you can create a new shortcut and add -p PROFILENAME -no-remote to do what you want. Or you can use Private mode.

bsaber
Jul 27, 2007
Is there a way to disable certain extensions in Private Browsing mode? Not all just specific ones.

bsaber
Jul 27, 2007
Xmarks syncs open tabs too.

bsaber
Jul 27, 2007
Not sure if this a bug or not but I opened a webpage with ~1000 pics which caused Firefox's memory usage to go from ~500MB to ~7GBs (yes that's GB). The same page on Chrome is only about ~1GBs. I'm on Mac OS 10.8.3 if that makes a difference. Anyone else seen this? Is it normal?

bsaber
Jul 27, 2007

jink posted:

That is due to a MemShrink bug:
https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=845147

They are working on making decoded images get cleared out of memory when the user no longer has those images visible. The patch was supposed to land in FF22 but they found regressions with scrolling performance and many small images. It has since been fixed and targeted to FF24. Once 24 comes out you should no longer see this massive increase in memory with image heavy pages.

Ah, that's good to know. Thanks!

bsaber
Jul 27, 2007
I've been having this problem as well but on Chrome. I think this might be a YouTube issue?

bsaber
Jul 27, 2007

wooger posted:

What platform do you run Firefox on? As I recall the iCloud syncing app that comes with iTunes for Windows will let you sync bookmarks to IE at least, and from there its possible to get them to/from Firefox.

Failing that, is there a cross platform bookmark syncer extension that works with safari? I used to use Xmarks between Chrome and Firefox.

Xmarks works with safari and also has a iOS app.

bsaber
Jul 27, 2007
Is there anyway of making the address bar icons smaller so the whole toolbar takes up less vertical space? Before 29 I could go to customize and then check small icons. I like the new redesign but it takes up so much space on my low res macbook air screen!

bsaber
Jul 27, 2007

Mr.Radar posted:

Check out the Australis Slimmr plugin that was mentioned at the bottom of the last page. One of its options is to reduce the height of the navigation bar. You can also set it to make the navigation bar auto-hide.

Thanks for the link. The autohide is going to take some getting use to but looks like what I'm looking for.

bsaber
Jul 27, 2007
I have auto fill options Login and Security and Forms and Autofill disabled but for some reason Firefox still remembers usernames. Checked about:config and searched for autofill and disabled everything that looks relevant but it’s still doing it.

Am I missing an option somewhere? This happens on a new profile too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bsaber
Jul 27, 2007

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

I think you want distribution/policies.json in the same directory as your firefox binary, and then add DisableFormHistory in the syntax given at the top of the document.

Ah, looks like I missed browser.formfill.enable. Setting that to false fixed it. Thanks!