Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!

jeeves posted:

Waterfox 16 is finally out.

I was just told about this today, thankfully.
As of yesterday, Firefox has been not responding whenever I started it. Reboots, Firefox safe mode, uninstall/reinstall - nothing helped.
Waterfox installed and has worked a treat so far. And the blue icon looks cool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!
To be honest I'll probably be happier with less updates by going to Waterfox.

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

Yeah, I figured if their updates are delayed then maybe they'd roll them up a bit.

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

Something else for Waterfox users: do you have jumplists under Win 7? In Firefox I'd get previous webpages and the "open new window" options in the jumplist, but Waterfox has only ever shown me the "exit" and "unpin" and app name options.

Google tells me to unpin and pin it again but that does nothing.

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

Weird. Guess they thought it was a security flaw or something? Thanks for the info.

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

Is your destination drive having to spin up from sleep?

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

Ihmemies posted:

I've never found use for search boxes, but that's me coming from Opera where you had keyword searches within address bar. Thankfully Firefox supports keyword searches too so the only thing I had to do was removing the search box when I started using Firefox :v:

I never use the search box, but whenever I remove it I find my muscle memory for where the bookmark star and other buttons falls down, so I put it back just to keep everything aligned.

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

Fangs404 posted:

Since we're talking about address/search bar poo poo, I figured I'd give props to InstantFox. It's like Omnibar, but it's completely customizable. "y ufc" searches youtube for ufc. I added one for imdb - "i lost" searches imdb for lost. It's really great. I used to really like the separate awesome bar and search bars, but this extension has changed my opinion.

This short-cut functionality has been in Firefox for ages just by using keywords, like Avenging Dentist posted about earlier.

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

Hitlers Gay Secret posted:

Is Waterfox working again? I always had a problem with it never updating automatically. Plus I just want to use a 64-bit browser.

I went with Cyberfox after a while as it updated a bit more regularly.

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I'm running 34 (and don't have SALR) and it has just started happening to me too. Maybe a change in SA's CSS has broken it?

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

syntaxfunction posted:

Edge seems okay. Not great, but faster and nicer than IE for sure.

Not sure if this is the right place for this, but a Flashless web is awesome. Ever since Firefox did that update for H264 and I made another install for Win10 I've been going pretty much pluginless (And addon less almost as well). And it's been great. YouTube was the last reason I was using Flash and the fact that YouTube seems nicer with HTML5 than Flash is amazing. The only time I ever come across places that want Flash it's usually for annoying ads or stupid web games.

gently caress Flash, I hope it dies.

Yeah, I uninstalled flash a few weeks ago and there are only a few old sites with flash video players I can't view. I don't care enough about them to reinstall it just for that.

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

Thauros posted:

Yeah, i genuinely find it interesting that so many people on here can get rid of Flash without missing it. My stupid dorky media consumption habit is Japanese pro wrestling, and the streaming service for that requires flash. Same with Dailymotion which is where you need to go for the smaller companies :(

Your media consumption is Japanese wrestling and other unusual stuff and you wonder how so many people can get by without it?

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

Alereon posted:

Yep, I've changed that section to be a note that official 64-bit builds are going to be available with Firefox 41. All the third-party builds are dead except Waterfox, and there isn't really much reason to point people to software without security patches.

Cyberfox still sees plenty of updates. Current looks to be 40.0.2, so it's not cutting-edge, but it updates pretty frequently.

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

Grim Up North posted:

Fullscreen (F11) is probably only for weirdos and people doing presentations/kiosks, but I'm pretty sure that the majority of Windows users browse with a maximized browser window and almost no MacOS users do so. I don't have up-to-date statistics, though. MacOS always encouraged non-maximized windows with it's top menu bar optimized for Fitt's Law though.

For some reason I just don't like running apps in full screen, and I've no idea why. It's not like I have a dynamic background that I have to keep an eye on. Even before I had dual monitors I almost never had stuff maximised. It's weird.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

efb: well, that'll teach me to take screenshots trying to be all clever and poo poo.

slidebite posted:

How do I check those?
Apprecaite the help.

When you quote this post, what options do you get when you right-click the text entry box? You should be able to select "check Spelling" as well as what dictionary you want it to use under "Languages".

Only registered members can see post attachments!