Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

:siren:EVERYTHING I SAY ABOUT JAPAN OR LIVING IN JAPAN IS COMPLETELY WRONG, BUT YOU BETTER BELIEVE I'LL :spergin: ABOUT IT.:siren:

PLEASE ADD ME TO YOUR IGNORE LIST.

IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A JAPAN THREAD, PLEASE PM A MODERATOR SO THAT I CAN BE BANNED.
Gmail manager: does it work with newer versions of FIrefox?

(I am still on 3.6.25 because Gmail Manager is more important than almost anything else for me.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

:siren:EVERYTHING I SAY ABOUT JAPAN OR LIVING IN JAPAN IS COMPLETELY WRONG, BUT YOU BETTER BELIEVE I'LL :spergin: ABOUT IT.:siren:

IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A JAPAN THREAD, PLEASE PM A MODERATOR SO THAT I CAN BE BANNED.

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Just came back to update on this and noticed you too had problems related to Adblock Plus. That particular add-on seems to be the culprit - removing it has everything performing well.

I am, however, shocked to my core to see the horrendous level that advertising has risen to recently. I haven't looked at the web properly without ABP in about 5 years. It's like being in Tokyo or something. How anyone with epilepsy uses the web, I don't know.

Not to mention how much it crashes other browsers Opera has all my passwords memorized so I still use it, but ads crash it 10-12 times a day.

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

wooger posted:

this right here is the craziest thing I've ever heard. Firefox 3.6 is slow, has a bunch of known (fixed) security issues and loads of other issues. Upgrade today and find a workaround for that feature. Why on earth is resizing images the thing you do most?

Because more people use software to do what they want to do.

I am still on 3.6 because I need Gmail Manager to work unconditionally.

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

m2pt5 posted:

Assuming you mean this GMail Manager, some people in the comments have posted versions tweaked to have compatibility maxVersions of 20.

Thanks for the tip, (but)

For whatever reason, there is voodoo with Gmail Manager. Some people cannot get any tweaks to work once they update. It's not just a version check thing, it also has to do with stuff on Google's side which makes updates tricky. And it is not reducible to a common factor.

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

wooger posted:

There are known security issues with that version, using old browsers is not wise. I have no idea why the Gmail Manager extension is so important to you, but there are tons of alternatives for most purposes.

I am open to suggstions as to a replacement for Gmail Manager.

A bunch of people are given the handwringing those of use who use it go through when it stops working.

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

Toast Museum posted:

Well what's the crucial feature that has kept you from the alternatives?

There are no alternatives that monitor all the account and log in to whatever account you click on in a GMail window that I have seen.

There are monitors and mail checkers, but then you have to log into that account to read the mail.

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

wooger posted:

Failing that, is there some reason you can't use a separate email client for some / all of these accounts?

The basic reason is that GMail's interface is the only mail interface that even comes close to making sense for me. I hate e-mail clients, and I hate the metaphor they use for displaying info, I hate local storage of data, etc.,etc.. Though to be fair, I have not looked at them for ever, because I hated them so much. Once Gmail showed up with conversations, search, and cloud storage, I stopped using clients.

Install Gentoo posted:

I've been doing this with http://webmailnotifier.mozdev.org/ for years. All I had to do was allow simultaneous google account sign on in my gmail and apps accounts. It monitors them all, and when i right click on the icon it gives me a menu of accounts to go to directly without needing to re-sign in.

Google multuple signin works for a bit, and then stops working, at inconvenient times, randomly logging me out of accounts on the page I am actually working on. The first time Gmail Manager stopped working I used WebMail Notifier, and it just did not do what I wanted it to do.

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

How do I make it so that Firefx stops asking to update?

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

dud root posted:

Tools > Options > Advanced > Update

Thanks. The path is lttle different in mac but I got it down thanks to to you.

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

I want to join the current iteration of Firefox, but I have now spent a couple of hours fighting to make things work instead of getting work done.

I know it's free and it's open source, but seriously why not just fix the security holes and stop changing things around? There's a degree of ego in making people have to be conscious of the tool instead of letting them just keep getting stuff done, that is annoying.

I figured out how to restore the status bar, but why take it out? A fair number of extensions (the reason people use Firefox) require the status bar to use them Tanking out the status bar makes them inaccessible.

Firefox no longer warns before quitting. Other programs just make this a check box in Preferences, but firefox has always needed some kind of weird voodoo to do this simple thing, and the voodoo that worked in 3.6.4 does not work in 12.

The original reason I never upgraded to Firefox 4: the decision to randomly throw favicons into the bookmarks bar. Why randomly change the UI? Just like the status bar, there's an annoying amount of ego displayed by changing things so that people have to mess with things just to keep them the same.

I guess this is why they keep trending down in market share. Making the same weird decisions that Netscape did in changing the UI and feature bloat instead of hammering the code to make it strong and lean.

Back to 3.6.4.

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

Dodoman posted:

Maybe firefox just isn't for you :shrug:?

3.6.4 is though.

The only logic is which changing UI elements which are functional, for simply design reasons is the logic the says computers are toys not tools.

There is a reason why Apple is such an admired company. When they make design changes they are thought of in terms of function, first and foremost, and then they make them sexy.

Mozilla has made layout changes in Firefox for no particular reason, which is silly. Not to mention adding favicons into the bookmarks menu is a step backwards in any book. The browser took a quick trip back to GeoCities to say hi it looks like.

It's worth thinking about why FIrefox is losing market share. They keep making non-functional design changes without fixing the memory leaks which have plagued FF forever, and without fixing security holes. Security holes are fixed when the products flaws are fixed not when a new product is put out in its place with its own set of security flaws.

That's why Apple overtook MS in market cap, because Vista was a slow pile of 'eye candy'. Function has to matter over form, especially for a browser.

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

xamphear posted:

Because, by this logic, Firefox 16 would look like this:

And hey, maybe that's what you personally want, but I don't think that goes for most people.

Actually most people are going to gone from Firefox by 16, if trends continue. It's not like 'pleasing the masses' with random design changes is working.

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

I am being a whiny baby. Sorry thread of helpful people I have unintentionally offended. I got caught up in tryint to make FIrefox work the way I wanted, and missed a dealine that will cost me a couple hundred dollars because I could not restore my old profile in time.

I really want to get updated, but I cannot lose productivity while I figure out how to get everything up to speed. Or I just need to pat atttention to the time better, or work it out on the backup computer first.

Anyway.

1. Status Bar 4Evar takes care of the status bar.

2. Is there a way to have disclosure triangles for folders of bookmarks, and text only for the links in the bookmarks menu?

3. What are the steps to set it so that I cannot accidentally quit Firefox. The old ones were

quote:

browser.tabs.warnOnClose

browser.warnOnRestart

browser.warnOnQuit

All those are true, and then set prefs when Firefox starts, show my home page. And NEVER set the check box in the resulting dialog box to true.

But they make no difference now. (Chastened and embarassed by his outburst.)

kapalama fucked around with this message at 19:36 on Jun 30, 2012

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

HalloKitty posted:

I don't know, but I use Tab Mix Plus, and it has an option "Do not close window when closing last tab" which I use.

Again, I don't pay too much attention the default options, but Roomy Bookmarks Bar which I use JUST to show favicons can be coerced into showing just text.

I'm sure someone else has a better suggestion, but this is the stuff I have in my browser anyway.

Thanks for these!

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

Toast Museum posted:

I believe it's browser.showQuitWarning

I love you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

Uninstall flash. When you need it , use Chrome.