Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer

Yes, thank you. Bolding the domain would have been fine, but making the rest more difficult to read was unacceptable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
I'm having a weird issue trying to get Aurora to run. Windows 7-64, installed it with no issues, but after running the addon compatibility checker it just stops. Nothing lurking in the process list, even.

It seemed to be using my Firefox 6 profile automatically, judging from it sifting through the earlier version's extensions. Do I need to completely yank my FF6 install, or somehow force it to start using a blank profile?

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer

Jack MacAskill posted:

Tab Mix Plus is a really popular extension, it's not likely to fall into disrepair any time soon. I'd think. There is always the 'disable compatibility check' thing in the OP.
There are loads of little options in there and so while there's a good chance you will come to depend on it, there's just so much to play with. Better to have tweaked and lost?

That said both TMP and the compatibility check option are not working for me since I switched to Aurora. Tab Mix won't let me reorder my tabs, new profile with nothing else installed is no help.
For now I'm using a couple of smaller extensions and I may be better off for it. Modified the maxversion in any incompatible extensions to get them going. Though if anyone has some quick suggestions I'll hear them.

I just noticed this issue myself, and somehow managed to actually find something useful on the Mozillazine forums. If you're running beta or alpha Firefox, running the developer version of TMP (available on the site) instead of the current final should fix your problem.

Unfortunately I also discovered an annoying new wrinkle in the way Firefox handles tabs. Instead of being able to drag and drop them onto the bookmarks bar, you have to hold control, then drag and drop the tab. Apparently it's supposed to emulate the file explorer 'click and drag to move, modifier key to do something else' interface, but I found it unintuitive.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer

Bieeardo posted:

Unfortunately I also discovered an annoying new wrinkle in the way Firefox handles tabs. Instead of being able to drag and drop them onto the bookmarks bar, you have to hold control, then drag and drop the tab. Apparently it's supposed to emulate the file explorer 'click and drag to move, modifier key to do something else' interface, but I found it unintuitive.

Toast Museum posted:

On what version? That's not the case for 7.

Aurora, v9.xxxxx. Sorry for not coming back this way in over a week.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
Has anyone noticed Aurora not handling cookies properly over the last few days? I can stay logged into SA with no trouble, but Twitter and other forums consistently log me out even when I tell them to remember me. I tried clearing the cache and deleting my cookies, but whatever's happening is persistent.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
Thanks, I'll give that a shot.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
Have they dicked around with the keyboard interface in the last update to Aurora? All of a sudden I can't PgUp/PgDn or End/Home my way through a page, and the arrow keys apparently navigate through links.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
Nope, but I wouldn't have thought of that so thanks for the suggestion. Did a handful of diagnostics and cycled power... and then discovered that somehow 'always use keyboard for navigation' got turned on in Aurora's preferences. Weird, because I don't remember seeing that option before.

Oh well, crisis averted. Thanks again.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
Looks like Aurora's up to 10.0a2 now. It claimed that a metric tonne of my addons were no longer functional, but they seem to be working. Unfortunately, the add-on manager isn't. Oh well, I can live without that until someone comes up with a fix or workaround.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
This might help. From the Extension Guru's blog:

quote:

Important! Add-on Compatibility Reporter is not correctly working with Firefox (and Thunderbird 10). You will need to go into about :config and manually add the Boolean Preference extensions.checkCompatibility.10.0a and set to FALSE.Once you restart Firefox your add-ons should be working again.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer

duck monster posted:

As a web developer, you are the bane of my existance.

Rejoice.

Or gnash your teeth because someone from higher up blocks the update.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
Okay, this is a little odd. I just got a big 19 meg Aurora update, and now bare images are shown centred against a grey background, instead of left-top justified against a default white background. I haven't changed any addons (though TMP updated at the same time). Anyone know if there's a way to change this back to the old default?

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
Blah. I found that addon, but hoped I wouldn't have to resort to something like that. Oh well, thanks anyway!

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
It's not a big deal, but I do think the grey is ugly and somewhat distracting, and I'd rather see images in the context of a default blank webpage background. I'm just disappointed that I need an addon to override their colour choice.

Edit: Overriding page backgrounds in Options 'fixes' it, but it also 'fixes' every other webpage with a custom background. Oh well, was worth a shot. I'll adjust.

Bieeanshee fucked around with this message at 17:27 on Dec 25, 2011

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
I like the idea behind that personal titlebar addon, but it looks like the primary uses I'd have for it (a place to stash pinned app tabs, or single bookmarks) is defeated by the way bars function. Oh well!

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
I've got both installed; I think TMP is coded to give control of certain things over to Tree-Style Tabs without a fuss. Sidebars are distracting to me, so instead I use the collapsible horizontal tabs, which still save a fair lot of screen real estate.

I'm not sure if it's possible, but I'd love to see a tab addon that can go from this:

to this:

...on the fly.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
I haven't had that problem since installing Aurora (version 8? 9? It was ages ago). I honestly thought they fixed whatever caused the problem in the first place.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer

Waffnuffly posted:

Similarly, I've seen mention that Firefox's new image viewing thing (centered on black backdrop) can't be disabled without a third-party addon. Is there anything that allows this change without additional overhead, like a userchrome.css edit or something? I don't mind it that much, but sometimes I appreciate the old single-image-viewing style for specific purposes.

The addon I use for this apparently does it by removing a stylesheet that 'Bug 376997' added in. I'm too lazy to dig around in the bug tracker or the guts of the addon to figure out how to kill it manually, but it shouldn't be impossible.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer

Saoshyant posted:

I had already. It... doesn't help much. Oh god, I'm going to have to get used to this ugly thing because someone at Google is an idiot. A very big idiot. A massive twat.

Yep. I came very close to setting up an IMAP account in Thunderbird for mine, and just use the annoying webmail layout when I'm out of the house, but then I decided to just consolidate most things into a different account entirely and leave gmail to poo poo I don't trust not to spam me.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
The gmail talk is weirding me out, because I've been stuck with that new layout for months now. My condolences to the latest victims. On the brighter side, now you can remove poo poo on the sidebar that you don't actually use (like phone, buzz, etc) and the message selection and manipulation interface stays put at the top of the screen instead of scrolling off.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
Everything Firefox 10 and beyond is assumed to be compatible by default, with the following exceptions:

Add-ons marked to work with a Firefox version less than 4.0
Add-ons with binary components
Add-ons explicitly marked by the author as incompatible, i.e. opt-out of Compatible By Default
Add-ons tested and determined to not be compatible with a given version of Firefox, and marked as incompatible by Mozilla
Themes

Linkification hasn't been updated in over a year, so it's possible that it falls in under the first criterion. Fortunately the first review on its addons catalogue page gives instructions for tweaking the installer so that it runs properly.

The same thing's probably happening with your weather addon. Your best bet's to look for an updated version, or go in and perform the same surgery on the xpi package, assuming it isn't hooking into some DLL it comes packaged with.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer

TwoKnives posted:

There's an extension which blocks those social media embeds, but I can't think of its name. I know of Ghostery, and Facebook Disconnect. Maybe they can block whatever is causing the error before it loads.

The one I use is Sharemenot.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
Oh, nice. I've been using Unloadtab for a while, but it seems to be working erratically in Aurora of late, and it seems to have completely vanished from the Web too.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer

Colonel Sanders posted:

OK I really do not like the new way to view images where they are placed centered on a black screen. Is there anything I can do about this?

I know there's a way of manually hacking it out, but I use Old Default Image Style with #FFF plugged in for the background shade.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
The version I'm running is 15.0a2, so the site probably needs to play a little catchup. It should want to update to current, if it isn't at 15 when you download it.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer

Dodoman posted:

Anyone else on Aurora 16? I can't seem to get the new theme to work (if it has been implemented). I do, however, have the new download icon next to the search bar which is very sexy. May finally let me stop using download statusbar.

I'm on 16, and I've been trying to get rid of the thing. I've found a config variable that keeps it from populating its download list, but the empty bubble still pops open when a download completes.

It'd be nice if they put it in as a traditional UI element that I could just drag and drop off into the customization window, but it doesn't show up in layout editing mode. Oh well. It's a minor annoyance at worst.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
Someone will hack a separate search bar in, if it isn't just tucked away in the UI widget box, I'm sure.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer

xamphear posted:

I'm running TreeStyleTabs and it's working just fine on the latest Aurora 16a2.

Check to make sure you're running the newest version of the extension, and try out a profile wipe for good measure.

Horizontal tabs have been broken since a very late version of Aurora 15. This is thanks to a glitch in the renderer that has been caught, and has been fixed in the 17 nightlies for a month or so now.

Vertical tabs have been running like silk, happily.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
I've got a habit of leaving tabs open, and the stair-stacking effect was nice for when I had some stuff I didn't want to forget but wasn't going to get to until later. Just switched to vertical, so I'll see how that works out.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
I'll probably be first in line for BottomTabs4EVA because my personal browsing metaphor explains them as being spawned from (and thus subordinate to) the URL bar. No biggie.

I say this because Tree Style Tabs was misbehaving for me in the weirdest, erratic ways earlier and I had to disable it. Hopefully the developer can figure out what broke soon.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
Could someone suggest a decent, lightweight RSS extension with a notifier I can drag down to the status bar? I was happy with Brief until it started acting funny, then switched to newsblur, but I've realized I can't be bothered to manually check my feeds for new updates.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
Tab duplication and other bad behavior was why I had to turn Tree-Style Tabs off near the end of Aurora 16.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer

the yeti posted:

What other malfunctioning did you see?

Crap, it's been a while. Horizontal tree collapsing had broken before that, so I tried vertical tabs instead. I had trouble with tab duplication, and Firefox switching to the last tab on tab closure (instead of going back to the previous opened tab), and I think the vertical tree functionality was misbehaving in minor ways as well.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
TMP doesn't seem to have anything like that, but I've been using Unloadtab for a while now and it seems to work properly.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
I use the Yousable Tube Fix script for the same reasons, and it occasionally stops working because the Youtube team has decided to fiddle with poo poo (renamed DIVs, etc.) that are invisible to the user but these things hook into. Just have to hope the developers are on the ball.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
Unfortunately, like it or not, the attitude seems to be becoming that customization and re-inclusion of 'unpopular' functionality is the realm of the add-on. Fortunately, there are other people who like a vanishing, empty tab bar, or a single-image view that doesn't look like a lovely lightbox, and have made add-ons to accommodate those preferences.

I'm concerned about them axing Panorama, because I'm apparently one of the handful of people who use it, but they've already said its functionality is being ported to an add-on for those few of us out there.

Edit: Alereon explained it in a much more cogent, much less accusatory manner.

Bieeanshee fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Jul 7, 2013

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer

Tivac posted:

Wait wait wait. WHAT? :cry:

Hold me. https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=836758

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
I've been having trouble with Aurora apparently causing transient hangs over the last several weeks, and this time things got hairy enough that it forced a reboot and didn't leave a crash dump.

I know in my case it's not Ghostery, because I haven't used it in months. I do use Adblockplus and Noscript though, which I figured were probably getting into a fight over what to filter and how.

Weird thing is, about the time my system bounced, it did log an error about Microsoft Security Essentials failing to update... and similar errors litter my event log. Poking Google brings up results suggesting that MSSE issues can cause hangs and reboots, and reports of it and firefox behaving badly together, but those hits are a few years old.

gently caress if I know if they might be related, but I'm going to start checking the event log each time I recover from one of these hangs.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
That was the first thing I checked, but the Intel diagnostics software said the SSD was fine, and Crystaldiskinfo said the same for the platter drives I've got in there with it.

If things go screwy again, I'll definitely visit the Haus. I appreciate the suggestion, thanks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
Crap. It looks like an Aurora update has half-broken an add-on that I occasionally use to archive threads. I'm not quite crazy/stupid enough to downgrade, but is there an easy way to run two different installs of Firefox?