Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
So something weird is going on with Aurora: it's not using external file handlers properly. At all. Right-click, save-as works, though there's no record of those files in the downloads list, but telling it to use an external app results in nothing. I can't make it open PDFs by itself or in Adobe, I can't get it to open ZIPs in 7zip, nothing.

This has been going on for several days, and at first I thought it was some poorly documented, 'helpful' behavior based on my copy of Acrobat going end-of-life... but no. I just popped into safe mode, and everything that should be being sent out to helper apps is being unceremoniously dumped in temp. It's apparently not a Windows problem, because I get the expected behavior from IE.

Edit: Looks like deleting mimeTypes.rdf fixed it. Well, renaming it. I want to see what makes the old one 50k compared to the new one's 4k.

Bieeanshee fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Sep 24, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
I'm going to keep my annoyance in reserve until I figure out what bits of the old UI I want can or can't be bodged back in.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
Panorama is supposed to be surviving as an addon, for those of us who actually found and use it. So that's nice, at least.

Regarding search: eh. I used keyword triggers in the URL bar for a while around ten years ago, because some browser hack I was using (Crazybrowser?) had it and my first brush with tabs. The whole thing really didn't grab me, but my housemate loves it.

I prefer a simple error message when I mistype a URL, or accidentally paste a string of text into the URL bar. For me, being dumped out to a search window --and if it isn't Firefox sending me to Google, my ISP is going to try, and I've had DNS providers do the same drat thing-- is annoyingly intrusive. I'm admittedly a weird case, but I figure there's someone else out there who knows how to hack this stuff and has the same bugbears, who is willing to share how to hack it. And if not, I'll cope.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
I wouldn't call it horrific, but I've had to manually reload the page more often than not when a like/new comment/whatever notification pops up in the corner.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
Got a weird, annoying little hassle with Aurora 27a2 (32 bit) on Windows 7 64-bit. For the last week or so, Aurora throws an error about a non-responsive process when I try to open a link from another application-- mIRC, Steam, whatever. That is, unless I start Aurora by clicking on one of those links, after which everything is hunky dory.

Is there a way to fix this, or is it just an unfortunate, temporary side-effect of using the not-quite nightlies? The workaround isn't hugely onerous, but it is kind of annoying.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
Blargh! Looks like a recent Youtube update broke YousableTubeFix the rest of the way, and the developer seems to have moved on to other things. Anyone know of an addon or script that automatically loads the large player at top resolution, and preferably has options for hiding things like the comments, or adding a download function?

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
That one's fantastic, thanks!

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
I think my housemate uses it as her launch page. This seems aimed at new users, and ones who don't already have regular Internet haunts of their own at that, since the article suggests that the ads would be phased out as the user's preferred sites are populated on the new tab page.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
Is there an about:config or command-line option to set specific dimensions for a Firefox window under Australis? I was using Firesizer before, but it doesn't seem to be working even with a status bar hacked in, and all of the 'resize firefox window' hits on Google are at least four years old.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
This is odd. I just updated to Aurora 30 (Windows 64) and video playback seems to be dead. On Youtube, I get a flash of the staticky error screen, then blackness, and on the BBC news site I get the teaser still for a moment before it puts up its own error screen.

Flash is up to date and I've restarted Aurora a couple of times. Doesn't seem to be a network issue: IE and my housemate's installation of Firefox are running properly.

Anyone else with similar issues?

Edit: Aaaand problem's with the Youtube Center addon. Damnation.

Bieeanshee fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Mar 27, 2014

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
30's been crashing on me once or twice daily for the last week, half the time followed with a Windows crash notification involving the plugin container. Haven't changed anything in user land either.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
I fear change, and sacrifice chickens to Classic Theme Restorer. I reset to stock Aurora several days ago, hoping to diagnose the cause of the crashes I've been experiencing, but it was such a shock that I said 'gently caress it!' and restored my old prefs very shortly afterward.

In my internal metaphor, tabs and their contents are dependent on the whateverbar and other toolbars, and are therefore situated beneath them, like pages on a legal pad. It doesn't help that my eyes have been long since trained to ignore the contents of the title bar, and since the pages and tabs are the bits of the UI that I'm using mostly, I can generally ignore everything above them in a 'classic' interface except when I need to plug something in to the not-command line.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
Oh hey, Tree Style Tabs got updated recently! It broke for me a long while back, and I stopped checking for updates after a couple of months. drat, I've missed it.

There seems to be a similar add-on for Chrome, but I've no idea how well it compares to the Firefox one.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
I'm one of those weird outliers that uses Panorama, and I use the reload button and F5 at a roughly equal ratio, with a dash of right-click > this frame only for a couple of sites that haven't been updated since Geocities walked the Web. I've mostly retrained myself to move the cursor right instead of left when I want to refresh with my mouse, which I imagine they'd prefer people who find the hamburger unhelpful to do as well.

What really annoys me is that there's a clutter of buttons at the end of the 'awesome'bar now, and there's no clear, easy way to customize around them. I use reload sometimes, I use the history-ish drop-down chevron constantly, but I have intentionally used the bookmark star all of once. Of course, that's the one that I'm clicking on constantly. I managed to get rid of it a few versions ago, but the hack I used stopped working.

I'm fairly sure I could figure it out eventually, but does anyone know where to find a configuration option or the bit of script that controls the display of the star? This thing is turning into my cheerily animated nemesis.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
Tell that to my install of 30. I drag it, the bar goes too.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer

Avenging Dentist posted:

Try safe mode, etc. I have 29 and 32, and both of them let me move the bookmark button independently of all the other buttons.

I'll try that in the morning, thanks. Probably end up with a fresh install if it works there but doesn't stick; I'm afraid to think about how much cruft has probably been accumulating.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
I used to use Brief, but it looks like the developer stopped supporting it. The reader I'm using currently is bamboo-- I don't know how it works under the hood, I'm afraid.

If you don't mind the kind of cluttered UI and reading your feeds from a website, Newsblur isn't bad.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
Mmm, I love the smell of hyperbole in the morning.

I'd love an ad 'industry' that I could trust to wipe its own rear end before spreading its cheeks against my browser window, but that's about as likely as everything being paywalled. Not that any of this is relevant to the thread at hand.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
I had to switch to the dev version around Aurora 29. That one's worked a treat since, and the developer updates it at least every few weeks.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
I had a similar problem recently when I updated my Logitech mouse drivers. Going back a Setpoint release solved the issue for me, but that's not much of a solution if you aren't using their software.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
Huh. My noscript is on 37rc2 and Aurora claims it updated yesterday. Just forced an update, and I'll have to keep an eye on it.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
Hmm. I think there's something up with recent versions of Noscript and my install of Aurora: I installed it about a week ago, after a very long lapse, and Aurora balloons from a modest 400 megs of allocated RAM to upwards of a gig in less than a day.

RAM is meant to be used, I know, but the troubleshooting tab suggests most of it's going to javascript and not coming out, and it's ultimately affecting browser performance and stability.

Oh well. Cost of riding the knife handle, I guess.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
You should try about:robots sometime.

Edit: And I should read closer! Hey, that's handy.

But about:robots is still worth the price of admission.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
I just had to switch Youtubecenter to 'aggressive' Flash, and Aurora is balking at anything that resembles an mp4. Granted that's nothing but vines and Twitter animated gifs for me, but it looks like something went sproing somewhere. Again.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer

jink posted:

The mozilla team did a LOT of restructuring of the MP4 codebase to support OSX native h.264 rendering in 34. It's going to be buggy for a bit. :(

Wumph. Oh well, what I get for running early code. At least I didn't have to go all the way back to stock youtube.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
Crashing multiple times a day seems out of the ordinary to me. Have you tested your hardware or OS recently? The last repeatable issue I had with Firefox came down to its memory use and what turned out to be a faulty RAM controller on my old motherboard.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
If the profile flush doesn't help and you end up prodding at hardware, I suggest using third party programs. Windows is pretty good at self-repair, and I think there's a built-in memory tester these days, but I still run memtest off a CD overnight when I suspect a DIMM got baked.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
I use it too. Started out with the Greasemonkey script, but Google twiddles things often enough that the developer version is probably the best way to go.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
Doesn't seem to be working under 35. I get a 'Visit <foo>?' thing extruded under the URL bar when I start typing, that turns into a search prompt if I type something that isn't in history, and an invitation to go to my search engine if I click on the history dropdown instead.

Edit: I'm guessing this means they're aiming to get rid of the separate search bar soon, which... eh. I guess I'm one of those kids who likes to keep their peas and potatoes separate on the plate. I'll probably get used to it faster than I imagine.

Edit, much later: Behavior seems to have returned to previous normal. Dunno if something got turned off in an update, or if I needed to restart a few times. Confused, but not unhappy regardless.

Bieeanshee fucked around with this message at 17:57 on Oct 24, 2014

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
I've been using Unloadtab for ages. Hasn't updated since February, but that version seems to be playing happily with Aurora so far.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
I'm afraid to click the check for updates button now.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
Try going in and forcing Status-4-Evar to update itself, or check for a new version manually. I think I had to do that when Aurora went to 33, because it doesn't seem to use the auto-updater.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
I went through my addons and most of them were basically quality of life stuff, where 'quality of life' is spelled 'get off my lawn'. I don't mind that search UI, surprisingly, though I'm not likely to use it.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer

wooger posted:

I mean that even without using Pentadactyl, I don't see why anyone would want a separate search bar, and when the address bar
works the same. It matches the way Chrome works too, so hardly out of the ordinary for most people.

Years ago, my ISP started catching malformed URLs, 404s and the like and spitting up 'helpful', ad-laden search results. I didn't like that then, I don't care for it being made stock browser functionality now, and if I cared how Google's pet browser does it, I'd be using that instead.

I prefer my URL bar to function like a command line. Custom keywords? Sure, fantastic. History function? Yes, please. But in either realm, I want a quick, simple error message if I fat-finger a command, not a best guess at what I was really trying to do. I can catch my mistake and correct it faster than Google will ever provide a relevant result for one of my typos. This kind of thing, for me, is where attempts at user friendliness wander into Clippy territory.

I do like that they've made the engine-swapping function more obvious with the new search bar. The functionality's been there forever, but I'd bet fewer people knew about or used it than do Panorama.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
Google used to have an option tucked away to ignore specific sites, and I really missed that function before scurrying off to DDG. I notice the search bubbling/private results function seems to be optional now, which is a good thing at least.

One thing DDG doesn't do for poo poo is image search. It does have an internal shortcut to GIS, so whenever I need to find pics I plug '!gi goatse' or whatever into the search bar. Works a treat.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
Argh. I don't know what's happened, but Firefox 35 has stopped sticking as my default browser. Each time I load I have to go into Options and click the 'set default' button again. It never notifies me that it isn't the default on startup, and Windows 7's 'set default programs' utility has no effect either.

The last time something like this happened, I was told to delete mimetypes.rdf, but it hasn't worked this time.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
Thanks for the help. I'm not sure if that was the solution, but it looks like things are working properly again.

Weirdly, if I clicked a link in another app, it'd launch Firefox and everything would be fine. If I launched it from a shortcut, it'd quietly complain about not being the default browser. I thought maybe I had two versions installed, but that looked fine. Session management went a bit weird briefly, but that's fine now.

I think I'll take some time over the break, rebuild my profile, and reinstall the browser. There's got to be a lot of cruft in there.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
Crashed Firefox 35, and 36 after I updated a minute later.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
That was my browser horking up and taking its sweet time posting, but I'm still getting crashes with Firefox beta and the new version. I can't remember the last time I tried looking at someone's profile outside of the Steam client, so I guess I'll just have to be careful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
I've been having a similar issue over the last few days. Embedded videos play fine, but ones loaded on Youtube pages hang while the status bar reads 'read i.ytimg.com'.

Bensa posted:

The only thing I can think of is an automatic update to Firefox or a change on YouTube's side causing the switch.

I noticed the issue after updating to the latest Firefox beta the other day, but I can't say there's a correlation because I hadn't visited Youtube for days before that.

Edit: Doesn't seem to be addon-related at least. Tried in safe mode, and got the same hang at 's.youtube.com'. Both video and the informational matter underneath hung with endlessly swirling progress markers.

Bieeanshee fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Jan 18, 2015