Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer

Im_Special posted:

You need to restart your browser for "browser.urlbar.update1" to take effect.

I've restarted twice, it's still there.

I'm really giving Vivaldi serious thought, now. There's really not a lot keeping me here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
It's mostly a matter of not particularly caring for Edge or Chrome, but with a tiny bit of tweaking it behaves much like my current Firefox setup. Tab trees on the left, navigation bar at the very top, no weird wankery to tweak away every couple of months.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
For some reason it took a whole Windows update reboot for my assome bar fix to assert itself. I'm just bemused at this point.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
I wonder what the rest of the bookmarks read.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
Yep. I'm done here.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer

Stare-Out posted:

My favorite feature is how they removed the little notification thing from the tab Twitter was open in, followed by a billion tweets loading once you glance at the page and you have to scroll down to read the ones you missed instead of scrolling up to get to the newest one right away.

That's variably functional at best with the old format these days, but it was definitely the reason why I found a way to switch back at first.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
I've tried tweetdeck a few times over the years, and I can't imagine using it in a case where riding herd over multiple feeds isn't part of your job duties.

I really miss the third-party apps where I could have a tiny little ticker tucked away in a corner of one monitor. That was my ideal use case.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer

Im_Special posted:

Tomorrow's (err.. today) is the big "forced Megabar" day, who else excited for the shitstorm that's going to happen on reddit?

Oh, is that why my bar seems to have completely forgotten that there's a browser history?

quote:

Anyway, back to twitterchat, I've found an addon that streamlines new twitter a bit and makes it less obnoxious to use overall, as much as it can. It also auto-sets you to latest tweets every time so you aren't constantly being forced into "top tweets". https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/tweak-new-twitter/

Holy poo poo, this is worse than useless on mine. My feed keeps bouncing up and down like it's jacking Jack off.

Edit: poo poo, if this isn't an excuse to dump this sorry browser. It won't load my favourite take-out place's menu any more. Bravo!

Bieeanshee fucked around with this message at 00:01 on Jun 3, 2020

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
Oh, that's neat. My browser history is completely gone. I certainly didn't blank it intentionally, and I can't even see the sites I've been to earlier today. This is presumably why the arsebar hasn't been showing me suggestions for several days.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer

Applebees posted:

Maybe you ended up on a new profile. Does about :profiles show any others?

It's the same profile I've been using, but you prompted me to check a spare profile I've used for testing. That one is working properly. Looks like I've got a refresh to do. :(

Edit: Deleting places.sqlite did it.

Bieeanshee fucked around with this message at 11:09 on Jun 4, 2020

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
Mostly I've found it's my hojillion open tabs, though closing Facebook and/or Twitter tends to offer a brief reprieve.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
Is there a way to force Firefox to open a link from the URL bar in a new tab, without using an addon? I was using an addon for this until this weekend, when it started getting in slapfights with facebook, and having to open a blank page to keep from overwriting whatever page I'm on is annoying.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
poo poo, it's working properly on a mostly stock FF, but not my daily driver. Now I'm wondering which of my addons or bits of profile cruft is loving things up.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
My mobile firefox got 'upgraded' the other night. It took me a few minutes to work through or simply filter the annoyances, but I'm still stunned that they released it in this sorry state.

The play store is just flooded with one star ratings, some of which have replies claiming that updates are coming in a few weeks, but if that's true then why not release it then?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
Thanks, I kept meaning to ask about that.