Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

So will Firefox eventually update to the 64 bit version? Or do I have to look for an alternate download link at some point, if I want to make the switch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

Read posted:

How do I disable the useless entry that repeats what's in my address bar.

Maybe get a life, nerd.

e: seriously though you need that for auto-complete

mike12345 fucked around with this message at 15:12 on Nov 8, 2015

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

I switched to 64-bit, but now "open this link in itunes" doesn't work anymore. It's just a redirect to the iTunes download page. Any way to restore the old behaviour?

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

Sir Unimaginative posted:

Go back to 32-bit Firefox.

When Mozilla said they were killing plugins*, they weren't loving around.

*Except Flash Player, because apparently alienating the Facebook and Newgrounds gaming crowds is something that Just Cannot Happen

I don't understand. Isn't "open link in itunes" basically just a link? I wasn't even aware it was a plugin.

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

wooger posted:

Huh, Chrome is the heaviest, most over featured browser there is, though in the area of trying to make web apps work like desktop apps rather than user facing useful features.

It will randomly run random crap in the background & eat all my ram.

I really like turning websites into apps for stuff like bandcamp, feedly, and twitch. Gets rid of menu and url bars, plus I don't accidentally close it while browsing*.

*because I'm still using FF as my main.

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

Grim Up North posted:

Doesn't that still open links in Chrome? I haven't tried it recently but there's a seven year old bug about it.

I mean I'd like to use Chrome like that, but gently caress having to copy every link that someone mailed me.

Yeah there are add-ons like "TheOne" for opening the link in the same tab aka your "app".

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

The Milkman posted:

What sites still use flash? Aside from clunky local news stations, and I guess newgrounds if that's still a thing I can't really think of any, especially ones I'd actually care about. I haven't had it installed since youtube started having most stuff available in html5

Twitch

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

I get a weird kind of flickering now watching embedded videos, youtube & non youtube. Is my gpu acting up? I don't know what's going on. (using 64 bit ff)

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

I've disabled Flash for FF completely, and barely notice it. For the occasional streaming and Flash I use Chrome.

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

The "choking on page full of gifs & multimedia" is annoying. But I never know if it's one of my plugins or not, so...

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

wooger posted:

I found a way to reliably freeze Firefox yesterday while researching a holiday:

Airbnb seems to be the heaviest site in existence, and something to do with the way it loads images kills Firefox with only 10 tabs open. Ram usage got up to 1.3GB and climbing - though that wasn't the main problem.

I experienced the whole of Firefox becoming blacked out, and a a completely non-responsive UI.

Tried again with a fresh profile - no improvement.

Oddly Chrome also seemed to struggle - as every tab crashed (replaced with frowny face).

Can anyone else confirm that Airbnb is a monster?

Hmm I opened 20+ AirBnB tabs for shits and giggles, but no black screen yet.

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

Talking about fonts, is there a consensus on the optimal sans font for reading web pages?

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

mike12345 posted:

I get a weird kind of flickering now watching embedded videos, youtube & non youtube. Is my gpu acting up? I don't know what's going on. (using 64 bit ff)

I was using 44 beta, so I switched back to 43 stable and it disappeared. Now it upgraded to 44 & the flickering is back. Disabling hardware accleration has no effect, it's really annoying.

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

uMatrix is a pain in the butt. If you got time or aspergers, finding the one restriction that makes a page not render properly, while leaving the others in place, is probably fun. I don't have time to repeatedly play a game of mole-whacking just so embedded youtube-players show up. I've been using it for two days, and am already starting to switch it off completely on some pages. There needs to be some middle ground between this and Ghostery.

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

48 seems snappier. But that new drop-down location bar history thing - ugh, not so good.

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

Interesting tidbit linked from Hacker News

https://www.servethehome.com/firefox-is-eating-your-ssd-here-is-how-to-fix-it/

As someone mentioned, SSDs should be able to cope with it, but what do I know.

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

some neat stuff

http://www.debugpoint.com/2016/10/firefox-launches-experimental-features/

really liking tab center

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

I use Web Paint to take screenshots, because it also allows to add text, circles, and there's a draw tool.

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

Captain Invictus posted:

This has been happening for a while now, but twitter videos won't play at all in firefox. Everything else plays, youtube, mp4's, embedded webms, etc, but not twitter videos. Disabling noscript and adblock doesn't fix it. Anyone know a fix for it?

I use tweetdeck, and everything works.

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

Captain Invictus posted:

Yeah but like, whenever someone embeds a media-containing tweet on here or links to one, it never works. Can you just drop a twitter link into tweetdeck and have it work, or what?

No, what I'm saying is that the problem is not default Firefox, it's probably something like an add-on or changed prefs (what Flipperwaldt said) on your end. I checked twitter.com and played some vids, works the same.

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

Any way to hide the zoom level indicator in the URL bar (new in 51)? Now I have to aim when I want to click the dropdown menu, what a bunch of crock.

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

Read posted:

code:
@namespace url("http://www.mozilla.org/keymaster/gatekeeper/there.is.only.xul");
#urlbar-zoom-button { display: none !important }
Paste into userChrome.css or a Stylish stylesheet, though you should probably disable updates on Stylish for the time being - at least until an update breaks it.

I can't find userChrome.css on my pc, but I have stylish. Will look into that. But I hoped it's some flag I can switch in about :config.

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

Why is this presentation unwatchable using Firefox?

http://darevay.com/talks/clojurewest2012/#/title-slide

I get lag and stutter, in Chrome everything works fine.

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

Malloc Voidstar posted:

I only get slight stutter on my laptop in a Firefox window with 400 tabs open; Chrome only runs slightly better. Neither are what I'd call unwatchable or even bad, besides the abomination that is the presentation itself

Very strange. Wonder what add-on is causing that.

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

Running 54, seems that multi-processor is not enabled. Apparently you have to wait until November if some plugin doesn't support it?

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

xamphear posted:

All that's going to happen in November is that nearly all of your plugins are going to be removed. So just remove them now if you want multi-process immediately.

Ok, I removed every addon that's not compatible with multi-process. But it still says "multi-process not enabled". I guess I need to fiddle with about :config for that, but I'm not sure why.

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

Malloc Voidstar posted:

Some Windows accessibility tools will disable multi-process: https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/re-enable-multi-process-disabled-windows-utilities
besides that just try forcing an enable

aha! yes that fixed it.

jeeves posted:

My Firefox profile's about :support
Multiprocess Windows 0/1 (Disabled by add-ons)

Is there any way to tell which add-on is causing this? Or do I just need to disable each one by one until it turns on?

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/add-on-compatibility-reporter/

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

Toast Museum posted:

Am I missing something, or does Mozilla's addons page really not have a way to filter for multiprocess-ready addons?

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

Latest update disabled multi-cpu. It was this, again:

Malloc Voidstar posted:

Some Windows accessibility tools will disable multi-process: https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/re-enable-multi-process-disabled-windows-utilities
besides that just try forcing an enable

Or maybe it was something else? Don't really care at this point.

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

mike12345 posted:

Latest update disabled multi-cpu. It was this, again:

Or maybe it was something else? Don't really care at this point.

Figured it out. Every time I plug in my tablet, poo poo gets disabled.

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

Snuffman posted:

So the black screen firefox thing people were talking about a page or so ago, that's Nvidia's crappy CU driver support crashing into Firefox's lovely hardware acceleration? Do I have that right?

Disabling hardware acceleration in Firefox seems to have made the problem go away.

Graphics card seems to be working fine otherwise.

Holy crap, I think I finally found the reason why my Radeon driver crashed once a week. Didn't know this was a thing.

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

Gorilla Salad posted:

It's handy for selecting the specific search engine you want.

I have GIS, Wikipedia, Australian Google and the Oxford dictionary.

you can access those with keywords

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

spit on my clit posted:

Twitch ads seem to be going through ublock origin, i wonder if they've learned how to just bypass any adblocker.

afaik the ads are integrated in the stream now, so there's no discerning.

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

Harik posted:

During a coding crunch I end up with approximately a bajillion tabs open only because of "switch to tab" is so useful - type any part of the keyword and it instantly jumps you back to the one you were looking at. When I'm done for the day I just mass-close them all.

I use them as short-lived bookmarks of my current thought process. It's mostly API reference for whatever libraries I'm currently using, and some higher-level syntax because I bounce between 4-5 languages constantly and I can't keep it all in my head.

There must be a better way to do it - any suggestions?

I'm not sure are you asking for a technological fix or a change in your behaviour?

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

Why did Tab Center stop working? I thought it's by mozilla smh

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

xamphear posted:

Yeah, the TST webextension is really, really good. You just have to disable signature checks in about :config and install that nightly.

no that only works in dev builds

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

Dodoman posted:

Stylus is a good replacement for stylish.

I have to replace stylish=?=!!=!!

:pusheen:

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

Any translation app you guys can recommend for 57? I'm using Google Translator (not by Google), but it's incompatible, and probably not going to be updated.

Basically it allows me to highlight text, and then after a click the pop-up with the translation shows up.

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

From what I can tell, both of those don't support some kind of popup window, but redirect you to Google's page instead. So apparently that function has been disabled with webextension, is my guess. Ah well I'll give them a try, thanks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

Powered Descent posted:

I've been hanging back and using the ESR release since before the big changeover. But it seems that my indispensable extensions are catching up (or being replaced) faster than I expected, so I'm tiptoeing into the 57+ waters.

I've actually been eager to do so since I first read about first-party isolation. Turn this on in about :config, and each domain you visit will get its own "sandbox" to keep its cookies in. So foo.com gets to set its own cookie, and a google tracker cookie, and a facebook tracker cookie, and a nasty-advertisements.com tracker cookie. But when I go to bar.com, that site isn't able to see any of those cookies that were set by foo.com (or anywhere else). It's able to set its own version of all these, of course, but foo.com (or any other site) won't be able to read them. This is exactly the way cookies should have worked from the beginning and it makes it a hell of a lot harder for advertisers (or whoever) to track you around the web.

There's unfortunately a small Firefox bug that prevents the usual cookie-clearing extensions from working when first-party isolation is turned on. But hey, the very nature of FPI makes routine cookie clearing a hell of a lot less necessary in the first place, so I'm not overly concerned. I'm sure it'll be fixed in due course anyway.

When I first heard about the big Quantum changeover coming, I expected it would be another big step down for Firefox. But I'm glad to say I was wrong this time. I'm really liking it so far. Nice work, Mozilla peeps.

I ran into some trouble with isolation by giving paypal.com its own container. Now when I pay on a site (that's not in a container) with paypal, the forward doesn't always work, or paypal can't figure out what to do with the request.