Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

Fangs404 posted:

http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/mobile/sync/

Basically:
  • All communications between you and Mozilla are encrypted.
  • All your stuff is encrypted on their servers with a 32-character (including dashes) key. They don't keep a record of this key, and if you ever lose it, you can't ever access your data again.

And if that's not enough you can run your own sync server.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

~Coxy posted:

Don't forget they'll also spend most of the money on releasing ports of FF for every single lovely Android device.

Except they dont. There's one android version that works on every single lovely Android device. And there'd be one for every single lovely iOS device too if apple would allow other browsers on their phones.

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

thrawn527 posted:

Are you sure? I just upgraded to Firefox 11, and I don't see that anywhere. Here's what I see after clicking Inspect Element:

Where am I missing a 3D button?

Selavi posted:

I don't see the 3d button either, and I have 11.0.

Maybe your graphics cards don't support WebGL

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

Just did the update to Thunderbird 11 and it still has no loving TB button. Not even an option. Nothing. They've been dragging their feet for almost a year now.

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

Cpt.Wacky posted:

I read this a couple times but I still can't figure out what you're complaining about.

vs

(ignore the moonspeak)

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

midnightclimax posted:

How can I tell Firefox to start with the Speed-Dial (or whatever they call it)? I only see options for blank page or page x.

Set it to show homepage and set the homepage to about :newtab

But yeah, it's weird there is currently no option for it.

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

Can I disable the compatibility check after an update? It never finds anything anyway and is really annoying on Beta and Aurora versions.

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

Yeah, mine just updated. What's this one again? New download manager and H.264 via OS ?

Time to update the thread title :v:

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

Sergeant Rock posted:

The Responsive view is very nice (CTRL + Shift + M), too

I had no idea this existed, thank you.

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

So Firefox 21 dropped for me which finally includes the actual finished h264 forwarding to windows and something called webRTC which can apparently be used for in-browser p2p stuff.
Most importantly for me, Firefox now asks you if you really wanted to delete that thumbnail from the newtab site or if your fat fingers hosed it up. Hurray.

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

Jippa posted:

Ad block plus question. When I right click some ads, seemingly randomly it will give two options. One is what I would expect, 'ABP image' then a choice of at what level you want to block etc.

Another option it gives me is just "disable element" (no ABP options like I described) which some times doesn't stick and the ad might come back when I load the page again.

Any one know why this is?

My guess would be gif ads vs flash ads.

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

Jippa posted:

A few months back I got good advice from this thread about using ad block plus too hide the "who to follow" section on twitter (which annoys me for some reason).

Randomly yesterday it just popped back up and I can't seem too get rid of it?

div, class:flex-module

div, class: module wtf-module, js-wtf-module has-content

I remember there being confusion between these two elements which are millimetres apart on screen. Any way, it doesn't seem to matter which I block I can't get rid of the "who to follow" box.

Any body have any ideas?

I use "Element Hiding Helper for Adblock Plus" for such cases. It's made by the ABP guy, let's you select the exact part you want to block and generates a rule for you.

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

Axiem posted:

So with Firefox Sync, am I simply stuck with the e-mail address I made the account under? So if I change e-mail addresses, I guess that means I have to create a new sync account and switch everything over (and hope it keeps)?

Yes. Make sure firefox is synced, disconnect the device and create a new account. Then repeat on the other devices.

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

Wheany posted:

I never remember choosing such a key, at least it's not in my password manager.

You don't, it's a hash from the username/email and password you provide as well as god knows what.

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

midnightclimax posted:

It would be cool if one could choose the server location for the profile backup. E.g. pick a non-US country whose legislature is more concerned with individual privacy.

The data is encrypted on your pc and then send over https, it shouldn't really matter.

pseudorandom name posted:

Well, good news, of all the browser sync methods, Firefox Sync is the only one that lets you run your own server. (Sync still isn't designed for backups, don't use it for that without keeping a copy of your recovery key.)

I tried that for like half a year, it's not worth the hassle.

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

Wheany posted:

Well, that is a possibility, but like I said, I haven't stored such a key in my password manager.

Well, I don't think that really sounds like a good reason to not have the option for the user to choose their own key.

e: After copying my profile from the old disk, I have now added the recovery key into the password manager.

The reason is that usually you wouldn't need the key , just another already synced firefox. You then enter the 3x4 keys your browser displays on the first FF and off you go, no key needed.

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

Im_Special posted:

Is there an addon or greasemoney script that can disable gifs from loading and give it a click-to-play function like with youtube videos?

An example is how http://9gag.com/ does it with their gifs, I want this but for all sites that show gifs.

This works by them having a static image that get's replaced by the actual gif when you click on it. There is probably no add-on that does what you want.

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

Neowyrm posted:

My only prayer for Australis is that they include a way to separate the refresh button from the URL bar, which is, by the way, the stupidest loving thing ever, holy poo poo.

You know you can do this now, right?

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

Avenging Dentist posted:

Not in Australis (although it's probably about 20 minutes of work to write an add-on to do it).

Misread include as introduce.

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

xamphear posted:

Are there really that many "stupids" still using Firefox? Unless you're hooked on add-ons, you're probably using Chrome or IE. Mozilla seems to think it's still 2009 where they had a full third of the desktop market and were still on the rise. Instead it's been a steady decline since 2010 and now they're down to something like 17%.

I'm sure our resident Mozilla evangelist will tell me that the whole point is to win those users back, but how realistic is that? How much time is being spent on designing a product for the people who aren't using it, when they could be designing it for the people who still are? How low do the numbers have to get before someone at Mozilla decides to just say gently caress it and do to the desktop version of Firefox what they did to Thunderbird?

They need to win those users back. Their business model isn't to cater to power or smart users. It's to cater to as many users as possible, even those that don't even know what add-ons are. Those google searches aren't generating themselves.

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

Nintendo Kid posted:

http://textfiles.com/anarchy/CARDING/aicard.txt
Is one.

Here's the Firefox rendering:

Here's what it should look like with the DOS codepage (taken in Notepad++):

Wouldn't it be possible to achieve a similar effect with a custom font?

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

Turn off tracking protection for Twitter on SA

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

Just had a bug where users on mobile firefox were not able to upload multiple images while uploading a single image worked. Weird. Spent 30min debugging to find out, well, that just something that has been broken since April of last year (well technically April 2017).

E: ugh pressed send.

What happens is that mobile firefox can apparently only handle one file at a time. If it gets handed multiple files by the file explorer, it instead falls back to a single 0 byte file located at c:/fakefile/{TIMESTAMP}.jpg that breaks the javascript.
Thanks mozilla.

Sereri fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Sep 2, 2019

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

Slightly over $40 though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

Welp, Firefox has decided that the pinned spotify tabs does not have to be restored, unlike all the other tabs. The last time that happened I had to completely reset firefox. I'm not going to do that again, so as soon as I'm fed up enough I'm going to stop using firefox.

Good job, Mozilla