Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SirViver
Oct 22, 2008

HalloKitty posted:

When I first tried an alternative, it lacked a bunch of features. No doubt this one is being developed, so by now it may have parity. I'll check it out.
I'm using the weirdly named S3.Download Statusbar, which appears to be an exact replica of the old one. Didn't have any problems with it so far.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SirViver
Oct 22, 2008
Oh and by the way - this might be a bit out there, but I want to share it anyway since this bugged me for quite a while now - one of the FF versions after ~20 seems to have introduced a drawing bug on XUL trees, which leaves weird borders around tree children as you mouse over them (the direction in which you move the mouse matters; top-to-bottom leaves horizontal lines). This can for example be seen in the bookmarks sidebar, where I initially noticed it. Not sure if this happens on all platforms, but at least on Win7 I could confirm it happening both at home and on my work PC.

By default it is barely noticeable (so I realize most people won't care), as the artifact borders seem to be drawn transparent/additive, which in combination with the already bright background color of the panel results in lines you only really notice when you know what to look for. However, I'm using a custom dark background color for the bookmarks sidebar, which made those left-behind lines really annoying.

Long story short, today I found a workaround to get rid of these artifacts. Simply add following CSS to either the userChrome.css or a custom style applied via the Stylish extension:
CSS code:
@namespace url(http://www.mozilla.org/keymaster/gatekeeper/there.is.only.xul);

tree treechildren::-moz-tree-row {
	outline: 0px none !important;
}

SirViver
Oct 22, 2008

jeeves posted:

It's something that is tiny but annoying to me, I don't know why. I think it is because I'm just so used to the animation not being there, and that I usually turn off almost all animations anyhow.
This might be what you're after.

SirViver
Oct 22, 2008

midnightclimax posted:

Hmkay, maybe it's time to nuke this profile.

e: maybe it's ghostery or ublock, because it keeps choking on load (with a new profile).
Seems to be Ghostery, but even with it off the performance of that page is terrible.

SirViver
Oct 22, 2008

Hitlers Gay Secret posted:

It does, but searching on google it tells me to edit things in the about :config that don't show up so I'm at a loss as what to do. Hell, the mouse settings in my control panel don't even have a section for that.:shrug:

Is there a thread about logitec mouses (mice?) or just all mice in general? I'd like to cover my bases.
You should probably install the proper Logitech driver for the mouse, since the standard Windows drivers almost certainly don't know how to deal with a mouse that has a tilt-wheel.

The Logitech mouse I use at work has that too, and I've simply remapped tilt-left to instead perform a middle-click.

SirViver
Oct 22, 2008

isndl posted:

I'm using the G502 with default Windows drivers, and it even lets me configure how many characters to scroll when you use the horizontal tilt. :shrug:
Color me surprised, though the horizontal scroll amount is the only thing it actually lets you configure in that regard (at least on Win 7). If you use SetPoint, you rebind the tilt to do anything you want (screenshot).

@Lum: I'll be damned if I knew what caused that line, the only way I found to get rid of it was to make the document content overflow on top of it, hiding it that way:

@namespace url(http://www.mozilla.org/keymaster/gatekeeper/there.is.only.xul);
#navigator-toolbox { margin-bottom: -1px; }

SirViver
Oct 22, 2008

Lum posted:

Had a go at this, but can't figure out how to make it show UI elements, only elements in webpages. Help?
File > Inspect Chrome Document > Select the browser window (when in doubt, hover over each item and pick one where the tooltip ends with browser.xul).

Then you can use the "find a node to inspect by clicking on it" feature on the top left and click on the tabs/panel to figure out the element ids and class names.

SirViver
Oct 22, 2008
Thank god for official 64 bit. Now I only have to restart Firefox when my system actually runs out of memory instead of it starting to crap itself around the 2.5GB mark. :thumbsup:

Of course, if they'd actually fix the (YouTube?) HTML5 video memory leak it'd be even better...

SirViver
Oct 22, 2008

The Dark One posted:

two of his three separate Trend Micro extensions didn't seem to work
I'd consider that a feature.

SirViver
Oct 22, 2008

Ola posted:

I got prompted to update to 52.0.2esr, which failed with "patch apply failed"...
Same here, though I didn't do any administrator shenanigans. Looks like they somehow screwed up the patch rollout.

SirViver
Oct 22, 2008
:confused: Works fine for me when using this setup (Win 10, VS 2017, Firefox 68):

Though it looks like your system is older. Maybe it's broken in 32bit builds? Seems kinda strange though.

SirViver
Oct 22, 2008
I think it's a pretty neat feature :shrug:

It doesn't take any functionality away and allows you to quickly check the upcoming video or description without having to go out of fullscreen. Frankly I find the strong reactions to this quite bewildering. I can understand it when they decide to make yet another UI change for the sake of it or remove yet another piece of customizability, but this of all things is either an improvement if you use it or doesn't affect you at all if you don't.

SirViver
Oct 22, 2008

Klyith posted:

1. Previously scroll would raise/lower volume, ie the same thing that scroll has done with standalone video apps since original Windows Media Player. Volume is way more useful.

Oh ok, I'll give you that. I didn't know that was a thing. I've always just moused over the volume bar and used the scroll wheel there.

Fashionable Jorts posted:

Im almost always playing games while watching youtube, and some games don't truly "lock" the cursor to their screen, so scrolling in the game shoots the youtube window down to the comments.

As opposed to previously where it then apparently made the volume go up or down? But fair enough. I guess as a workaround you can use picture-in-picture mode and maximize that instead.

Actually, I searched a bit and it seems this extension brings volume-on-scroll instead of page scroll functionality back - optionally also only when using right-click and scroll - plus a whole bunch of other configurable stuff you might or might not want.

SirViver
Oct 22, 2008
So far I don't have any complaints about Proton, but that's probably because I already run a custom dark mode UI theme and I already had compact UI configured before :v:. Though I swear if they ever get rid of userChrome.css to fix all their bullshit busywork UI changes I'll switch to a different browser for real. Or switch to an ESR release and never update again.

4000 Dollar Suit posted:

man, it's already annoying enough to have to tweak firefox to look right when it works properly, but I already have to keep chrome installed for certain pages that wont play nice with firefox, it's all just becoming more effort than I want to spend, it's like firefox is pushing me away.

Tried Edge yet (assuming you're on Win10)? Ever since it switched to using the chromium engine I find it's the perfect Chrome replacement - all the benefits of websites rendering correctly with none of the Google bullshit.

SirViver
Oct 22, 2008
Just increase the page size to 1000 - problem solved.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SirViver
Oct 22, 2008

actionjackson posted:

does anyone know how to use a wildcard in ublock origin filters? my outlook webmail has these annoying banners whenever I get an email from a different domain that say "report as suspicious"

they all look like this, where the asterisk is some random letter/number string. but this filter isn't working for me.

code:
outlook.office.com###x_pfptBanner*

This should do the trick:
code:
outlook.office.com###[id^="x_pfptBanner"]
uBlock element filters follow CSS selector rules, and there is no wildcard support in those. However you can sort of work around the problem with the above selector, matching elements with an id attribute that starts with "x_pfptBanner".