Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

VladimirLeninpest posted:

Does anyone know if there's any way to paste Excel data into Firefox and have it keep its table structure? This works fine in other browsers, but Firefox pastes it in rows of plain text without a table. I tried searching for it and found a workaround of pasting into Word, then Firefox, but that's a bit of a hassle for how often I'll be doing this.

What do you mean: paste data into Firefox? Do you have some web form with a rich text editor that somehow works with tables in other browsers but not in Firefox? I would complain to the developers of said web application.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

VladimirLeninpest posted:

Oops, yes, I should've been more specific. I'm trying to paste into Gmail and it works just fine with Chrome and, uh, Edge, but this is what I see with Firefox:

I don't even mind if the color formatting goes away, I'd just like it in a table :-|

As you probably saw already, google is not very helpful with this problem. I'd try running firefox without any extensions to see if that works. Maybe gmail in firefox sets the text area to a plain text field instead of rich text? It would be low from them, but probably not impossible.Or maybe you set something at some point and just forgot? Can you paste bold text in that field?

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009
For me, luckily, the couple of extensions that I use were updated and work nicely (ublock origin is the main one). I am perfectly fine with this update. Wasn't blown away by the speed, probably because i already have a fast computer and I never have more than 15 tabs open (i start closing if i get around that number, it makes me nervous for some reason).

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

Szmitten posted:

I found the problem.

While this looked crazy to me as well at first sight, I remembered that I never turn off/restart my computer at work either, except when there's a kernel update. Which, in Fedora it can be as often as once per week or even months can pass at a time. So, it is not a far fetched scenario by any means. But, websites can and do have memory leaks. Not the browser's fault, but the browser can mitigate somewhat bad behaving websites.

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

anatoliy pltkrvkay posted:

Edit: having to switch to a tab to close it is also incredibly annoying.

What are you talking about? Right-click, "Close other tabs" does wonders without ever having to touch the other tabs. And is the only way to deal with that kind of horror that you have posted.

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

Ola posted:

My password management system:

1. Persistent logins.
2. Password recovery functions.
3. A very strong password on my main email.

My password management system:
1. 1234
2. 1234
3. FuckYouForNotTaking1234

It works. Nobody would ever guess 1234 as a password. I mean, who on earth would put 1234 as their password?

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

slidebite posted:

Oh that's interesting...I never even thought of disabling plugins. I'll try that later.

Not all work. For example, on fido.ca I cannot login using firefox (on linux, never tried in windows). It happened to me to not be able to use some websites due to addons so I disabled my adblockers and everything. No can do sonny (basically the login dialog doesn't do anything after i press "Login". Nothing in the console either). Chrome works. Are they just lovely developers? Of course they are. They took a perfectly functional website and upgraded it to the latest and greatest technologies of 2015 and now is broken. And even poor chrome struggles with it

But, what can you do? It's not like I have many cell companies /plans to choose from so ... yeah.

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009
I can't for the life of me understand the "million-tabs open" crowd. You don't even know (can't know) what's in there anymore. 90% of those tabs are opened for things that are no longer relevant or you found the solution to whatever problem you're having 6 months ago. Even with 8K resolution and only 100% scaling, the tab title is no longer visible, so finding something is impossible.
This is the only time when "you're holding it wrong" is a perfectly valid answer to any problem they may be having.

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

Pilsner posted:

Not sure if you're joking, but assuming you're using a very simple password, frankly I don't even know if simple vs. strong passwords matter much these days. Aren't the majority of hacks done via phishing (where you yourself enter your password in a fake login form), keylogging (where the complexity of the password doesn't matter), or data theft? I don't have any data to back my assumption up, but I don't think there are many hacks done by guessing or brute forcing, two scenarios where password complexity matters. The former is ridiculously time consuming, and the latter is very easy to protect systems/websites against.

I was joking (somewhat. there are plenty of lovely websites that i needed to make an account on that i will never visit again where 1234 is the perfect password and where i have some random username), but to your statement "I don't think there are many hacks done by guessing or brute forcing" i disagree. There are. There are databases with millions of known passwords, there are rainbow tables (for when you get the database itself) with millions of known hashes. For the large majority of websites out there security is not even remotely a thing they worry about. Hashing a password, and you're in the top 5%. Not using MD5, you're amazing. Salting it ... you're a god. Hell, firefox and chrome got a lot of flak from websites owners after they started to warn users when they entered passwords in non-https forms.
And usually the lack of security is not because people dont know how to implement it (if they don't is a google search away) but because they don't care. The more complex hacks (fishing, keylogging,etc.) are done against websites that have a good grasp of security where simple trying out 1234 in password fields doesn't work.

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

Truga posted:

If you have unique passwords (which you should, use a pw manager), you shouldn't have to ever change one unless you get phished.

Or their database gets stolen (and they may or may not let you know, and they may or may not hash and salt the passwords).

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009
With some websites that annoy me enough, i look where they load the video from and block the entire domain. With uBlock I was never successful at just blocking the video player, no matter how wide the net I cast.

Samples:
code:
cnetmedia-a.akamaihd.net
vidtech.cbsinteractive.com
fastly.bloomberg.tv
cdn-mobapi.bloomberg.com/wssmobile
cnn-f.akamaihd.net
cnnios-f.akamaihd.net
Some that I collected over time. Honestly probably the entire akamai domain, subdomain and domains that contain the word akamai should be blocked, but there are some things, sometimes that one may want from them.

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

astral posted:

akamai is a huge CDN, so no don't block everything with the word akamai

Oh, I know they're big and everyone and their mother is using them. It is simply just a debate that I'm having with myself. I should do it once and see what breaks. If after browsing for a day or two the crap that I care about seems to be mostly fine, I would just leave it.

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009
If the password is important enough to be remembered in the browser, then it is important enough to just be 1234. Anything more needs keepass .

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

Avenging Dentist posted:

Keepass is great if you have a high tolerance for terrible UX.

What's so terrible about it? It has a tree of categories and for each a list of credentials. Buttons on a toolbar to add/update/delete said credentials. Pretty much the only things needed. How else would one make the UI to present/manipulate this info?
Oh, I know, an Electron app

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

Toast Museum posted:

Is there a good comprehensive comparison of the big-name password managers? I know I've seen a lot of back and forth on the forums about which this or that one being more or less secure/convenient/whatever than the others, but I can't recall the specifics and could use a good side-by-side breakdown.

Some are in the cloud and you pay for them (1pass, lastpass), some are applications running on your computer and are free (keepass). Personally I do not see the value of a cloud-based password manager, therefore even the low price of 1pass is not something that I care to pay. Keepass works for me just fine. And yes, that means that I cannot use various services where I have accounts from my phone and that is perfectly ok (desirable) for me.

That's the extent of my knowledge.

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

Avenging Dentist posted:

Auto-type is probably the most glaring issue. It's really loving bad, and one of the reasons a lot of password managers have browser plugins (KeePass has some third-party ones, but none are all that great from what I've seen). Related to this, the fact that you can only have a single URL makes it harder for browser plugins to have good autofill (mainly, the problem here is SSO logins).

A lot of the features are really obtuse too. For example, did you know that you can set tags on entries? You probably didn't unless you looked at all the submenus in an entry's context menu.
These are not features that I personally use nor features that I would look for in a password manager. The simpler, the better. Every single feature in a program is a potential security vector, therefore a password manager should have very few "features". Do one thing and do it well.

But if these are things that you (or anyone) appreciates (browser integration, dropbox synchronization, etc.) then I can see why 1pass' low cost subscription may be appealing.

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

Avenging Dentist posted:

I'm not sure how "KeePass has a bunch of features I don't use/want" and "Security-critical programs should be minimalist" mesh together, but ok. :shrug:

(I use KeePass too but that's more because the alternatives either cost money, don't have a decent Windows + Linux experience, or are even shittier than KeePass.)

I don't like that it has the feature, but I hope that if I don't use it it won't bite me in the rear end. Can be just wishful thinking, but I haven't found a password manager that just works, no fuss about it.This one works in all the Operating systems that I use.
But yes I wished it was simpler.

I am very interested in using something else though. Not married with keepass by any means.

Volguus fucked around with this message at 00:10 on Mar 6, 2018

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

TalkLittle posted:

So I've been one of those people resisting the Firefox/Pocket integration bullshit, thinking it's unnecessary and going out of my way to hide all the Pocket functionality. I didn't feel bad about hiding sponsored stories because I do regularly donate to Mozilla.

Resisting? I heard about that once or twice (that it exists), forgot promptly about it (5 seconds later) and went on with my life. And now you make this post and now I notice that in a new tab i have a section "Recommended by pocket" with a bunch of links. I didn't even see it before. drat you, now i will see it every day and now I am too "resisting".

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

buglord posted:

I have a Ublock Origin question that probably doesn't deserve its own thread, but I figure enough people in this thread use it here to provide an answer.

How do I make a filter that blocks the Trump stupid newbie avatar? I'm pretty sick of it. I click on it with the element zapper and it disappears until I reload the webpage. Or I select it with the element picker, press "create" on the transparent dialogue window, and it also disappears until I reload the web page.

Thanks.

I just did it now with the picker (right click on the image, block element). It persisted just fine when reloading browsers. I have the following rule in the My filters list:

code:
! 5/14/2018, 2:40:32 PM [url]https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3431449[/url]
||fi.somethingawful.com/images/newbie.gif$image

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

Truga posted:

wait people who don't use tree style tab still exist??

Definitely. Most people are not hoarders and they get sick when they see the garbage created by more than 10 tabs in a browser window. Plus, not to mention, less than 10 tabs makes the browser a happy browser (who would have thought?).

Therefore, normal people do not need manage tabs, since there's nothing much to manage in the first place. 10 tabs in a line on a bar is just fine.

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

Ola posted:

I have a dozen right now, linear. Four are youtubes, one playing, three waiting to play. FB, Google Maps, Flightradar24 as well, all resource heavy. 10% CPU, 50% RAM. Barely a canter. :clint:

Ok, I'll bite. I am not going to ask about FB, Google Maps and Flightradar. That's above my pay-grade. But 4 youtube? Listen to one then close the tab and start another? Or ... how does that work? Do you have an addon that does that for you? Why are the other youtubes waiting? And why aren't they in the same tab/page/playlist as the first one?

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

Avenging Dentist posted:

It's not Firefox, but people here might care: Thunderbird has a bunch of new hires on the team, so hopefully it'll start to see some more love! https://mail.mozilla.org/pipermail/tb-planning/2018-August/006127.html

That's nice. And promising. Even though I can't see myself going to any other mail client, changes for the better are always welcomed.

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

FRINGE posted:

Than what?

Thunderbird? To what other mail client? There are thousands out there, on the desktop and on the web.

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

FRINGE posted:

I mean: what are you using that you will not be switching from?

Thunderbird. I am and have been using thunderbird for the last ... whatever, since 2004 or so. The statement was meant that upgrades are welcomed even if I am not even looking to switch to another email client now or in the foreseeable future.

Generic Monk posted:

tbf; are there really? for windows at least there's kind of a dearth of desktop mail clients that look like they were made this decade

Depending on your definition of "made this decade" there may or may not be. There are lovely email clients out there are are all fluff and no substance, everything being animated to the wazoo and which consume a bajillion megs of RAM, which are definitely made this decade and according to some their user interface is the best thing since slice bread. Some even are made in electron to help with the RAM usage and animations.

There are others that just help with email & calendar management that ... just do that, no fluff no bells no whistles.

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009
Looks perfectly fine here:

Im using firefox 62 on Fedora 28. I have a couple of extra programming font installed, nothing much.

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009
Yeah, the way Chrome (and now Firefox) is doing extensions is more secure for the user and browser . But, the way Firefox was doing extensions was incomparably better from performance perspective and capabilities perspective. I guess both of them want to tighten the wall around the extensions.

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

Avenging Dentist posted:

As long as adblocking is possible, it'll be easy for users to do it since the hard work will be done by the people maintaining the adblocker and the filter lists. The only real ways to defeat adblockers are 1) come up with a perfect solution that permanently kills them, 2) win the arms race against adblockers with imperfect but constantly-changing anti-adblockers, or 3) make it harder to distribute adblockers (e.g. making them illegal, crippling the webextension hooks needed to make a functioning adblocker).

#1 is trivial: just serve the ads from your domain/site, without any distinguishing attributes. You can kill images from the site, but that would kill basically all images, all media. Of course, that kills the "bid for ads for this user" feature as well. Oh well.

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

Avenging Dentist posted:

That's not really a solution. Not only do you have to ensure that the ads are served from the same domain (and path) as legitimate images, you also have to ensure that there's no way to distinguish them by their position on the page. If you do that though, chances are good you'll run afoul of the FTC.

? How come? What does the FTC have to do with this? Other than the fact that is entirely undesirable for a site to run its own advertising platform and nobody will ever do it, what other issues are with this approach?

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

Avenging Dentist posted:

The FTC generally gets unhappy when you display ads in ways where it's not clear that they're ads.

Oh, had no idea.

Klyith posted:

This is why every site started doing video content, because video ads are (or were) back on the per-view payments.

Had no idea about this either. I was wondering wtf got into them in the last whatever amount of years with everyone pushing video down your throat autoplaying whether it made sense or not.

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

Toast Museum posted:

Seriously. I can't believe I've been oblivious to such a useful feature for so long. That deserves to be much better-known.

If you press Alt-F the old style menu still shows up. That menu usually has pretty much you ever need. While I had no idea about the shift right-click, the main menu was always right there and I always made a point to the websites that intercepted my right-click to steal their images and read their html, just because.

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

iospace posted:

Chrome is also killing adblockers.

That is #1 reason to never make Chrome the default browser for daily usage. It is wonderful for web development, it has awesome debugging tools. For daily shitposting? Firefox is the king. Still. Despite their attempts at controlling the addons a bit more (which i understand, but not agree with).

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009
Speaking of LastPass (and Tavis): https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/news/security/password-revealing-bug-quickly-fixed-in-lastpass-extensions/

Oops.

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

Ola posted:

It is indeed a pain in the rear end to enter manually on the extremely rare occasion copy/paste doesn't work, perhaps it would be easier if the manager generated diceware ones.

There are websites out there that prevent pasting in passwords or simply require the user to type something in the password field before the login button is enabled. Rare but they exist. And, in my personal opinion, they can die in a fire. Had a security team from India test a website I made a few years ago and the fact that one could paste text into the password field was one of the issues they raised. :bang:

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

Klyith posted:

If a state actor wants to know my passwords they'll sneak into my house and replace my keyboard cable with a seemingly identical cable that actually has a tiny keylogger in it that transmits everything I type to the van outside.

Or just use a wrench

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

Ola posted:

As I mentioned, look at this car ad. https://www.finn.no/car/used/ad.html?finnkode=170545470 Click the pic to open the image carousel. Then Ctrl + to make the image of the car bigger. Does it get bigger?

1. Holy poo poo that car is expensive.
2. Yes, it doesn't work for certain pages. I do not personally know wtf is wrong with those pages, but yeah, some web developers go out of their way to screw browsers. It does work on most websites though.

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009
Is there something wrong with the "Autoplay" setting in Firefox? I have it set to "Block Audio" as a default and I have nobody whitelisted. Yet, when I visited this news site and I scrolled a bit down on the page, some stupid video started playing with audio on. Firefox says I didn't give any special permissions to the website and I don't think I clicked play on the video. Did people find a way to break it? I'm only running ublock origin.

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

Klyith posted:

It's not a blocker, the FF component that plays video is supposed to just not play anything. But as soon as you interact with the page with clicks or keys it allows video to play. FF doesn't know what stuff on the page might be controls for the video player, so they just enable video after anything.

So:

1. Load page, click on the page, scroll down

2. Load page, don't click anything or use keyboard, scroll down with mousewheel only

drat. That's it. I do like to click/highlight poo poo as I'm reading, so that's what makes the videos play. Hmm, ok, is there a solution for this? To only record media player interactions as actual actions to let it play? Or do I have to just walk on glass with any website?

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009
Oh god, now I just got FF 75 update in Fedora, and I noticed the dropdown arrow disappeared. Now I know what you guys were talking about. It's bloody awful. Jesus, who in their right mind thought that this is a good idea? Un-freaking-believable.

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

astral posted:

Some people used the arrow feature and have to change their muscle memory to just click in the box now. Others did not use that feature and were annoyed that it now pops up automatically when you focus the address bar. Still others used keyboard navigation to tab around starting with the address bar, and now they have to hit escape before they tab.

Plus, it's a change that provides absolutely no benefit and it's asking something from the users when it didn't used to before. I didn't have to hit Esc before. Now I do. I didn't have to move the mouse to close the dropdown. Now I do. Is it hard to do that? No, but it is annoying to have to do it now when I didn't before.

On top of this, not only this is not an opt-in feature (as it should), but even the opt-out mechanism is hidden in about :config with the threat that it'll be removed at a later point. It should be an opt-in feature in the Preferences tab. Clearly marked with an explanation of what it does and how to undo it. First class citizen, not relegated to the bowels of about :config.

Please do change the browser, by improving it, by adding features and by adding options to the user to use or not said features. The goal should be to empower the user not to make these decisions in spite of the user. When they do make these one-sided decisions they not only do not attract new people but they also alienate the user-base that they do have.
I think. Maybe they just piss of me and everyone loves it. Dunno. I suppose they can make those decisions after seeing the telemetry data.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009
This pisses me off:

The new internet explorer. loving hell, Firefox supports all the standards needed to join, make and participate in an online meeting. WTF are you microsoft people doing there that requires Chrome? My hunch is that nothing, but you're just too drat loving lazy to test.