Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

angrytech
Jun 26, 2009

GreenBuckanneer posted:

But when I do that the + icon shows on the right, but as soon as I get out of the customize menu it's on the left of my tabs :( I can't move it to the left because it doesn't go there...

Have you checked about :config to make sure browser.tabs.closeButtons is set to 3?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

angrytech
Jun 26, 2009
How easy is it to install and manage a firefox sync server?

angrytech
Jun 26, 2009

MachinTrucChose posted:

Whelp, I'm back on Firefox. I gave it up in favor of Opera after that fast release cycle bullshit was dropped on developers. I always knew I would come back, once the bulk of the add-on community have adapted to the changes, and they seem to have done so now. Mozilla handled that whole situation like complete idiots though, and I hope they learned something from it, though that's unlikely.

I went with Aurora (currently version 9 alpha 2), and just finished the usual post-install "get the add-ons that make the Internet not suck". I've been using most of these for a long time but it always amazes me how entrenched advertisers are in the modern web browsing experience. It takes every single one of these addons to have a fast, safe, and private browsing experience today:

Adblock Plus (general ads)
BetterPrivacy (Flash plugin's cookies)
Ghostery (hundreds of invisible trackers)
NoScript (safety)
ShareMeNot (social media trackers such as +1 and Like)

Of course, this is in addition to tweaking some non-plugin options, like having FF delete cookies on exit, and disabling geolocation. Scary stuff.

Thanks for this, totally checked them out.

angrytech
Jun 26, 2009

kapalama posted:

Mozilla has made layout changes in Firefox for no particular reason, which is silly. Not to mention adding favicons into the bookmarks menu is a step backwards in any book. The browser took a quick trip back to GeoCities to say hi it looks like.

See, you say this, but Firefox on my Ubuntu Unity desktop takes up less space than ever. That means I get to see more of what I actually want, which is great!
If anything, Mozilla is removing the extra poo poo that people rarely use.
I never realized how clunky the 3.x UI was until I had to use it on someone elses system and hated it.