Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Maybe if I'm busy it could keep me from you

Liffrea posted:

Mine still isn't fixed. I had studies enabled, installed the temporary fix, and still nothing, even after a computer restart.

Not only that, I can't even use the temporary add-on fix anymore because they somehow turned into file folder files instead of .xpi files, possibly because I installed the temporary "fix". Which did nothing.

I hope this actually gets fixed soon.

Same. I've tried a half dozen fixes now, and nothing. Browsing without Ublock and default Tabs behaviour is giving me anxiety.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Booourns posted:

This is so unbelievably stupid

Its just a real shame that firefox is still the best browser out there.

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

endlessmonotony posted:

Studies is on by default (on profiles created after some point I think?) and getting the study deployed to you will fix the browser.

No matter what I do, my "Allow Firefox to install and run studies" checkmark disappears the next time I open the settings menu or restart firefox.

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Heyyyy it updated to allow extensions to work! Heyyyy all of my extensions have vanished!

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Klyith posted:

It was really cool when my response to whatever the brilliant new UI innovation coming from moz was "whatever, I'll get an extension to revert that poo poo."

Literally the only reason I still use Firefox is its the only browser out there that still lets me have tabs at the bottom of the screen, just above the task bar. Every update they make it harder to keep them down there.

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

And now when I middle-click to open a video, it doesn't start playing on its own. I would love it if when they change something on a whim, they'd add a button in options to undo that change.

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Kassad posted:

Look in Options > Privacy & Security > Permissions, they added a thing to block videos with sound from autoplaying.

Oh thanks! I would never have figured out that blocking sound = youtube not playing.

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Every now and then, maybe once or twice a month, I'll start my computer up and Firefox will restore my previous session, usually blasting youtube much to my surprise.

In about:config I have resume from crash, resume session once, and resuming after os restart all set to false but yet this keeps happening. Is there another option I'm missing that I need to disable to keep this from happening? Or is Windows itself somehow saving my Firefox session?

I'm not sure if its ever done this on a restart, as I pretty much never restart my computer. Just full shutdowns.

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Thanks, I'll give those a try. It may be a while until I find out if it doesn't work.

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Why must they slowly and perfectly kill my ability to have tabs at the bottom of my screen?

Horrible transparency that makes it extremely annoying to read tab text, and now it overlaps with the Find section.

Thanks guys, you're really knocking it out of the park with these updates.

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

astral posted:

Wow, I didn't know Firefox let you put tabs on the bottom.

Also, are you using a custom theme or one of the default-included ones?

They don't really, its taking more and more effort to force them down there. Like 6 years ago it was just a button you could press, then it became addons, now I'm pretty sure I'm running some poorly coded scripts to do it.

I've flipped through a few different themes since the newest update, and none of them are able to get rid of the automatic transparency on the inactive tabs. I'm tempted to go back to browsing like its 1999 and just have one firefox window per tab because this is extremely frustrating.

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

PirateBob posted:

Is there really no way to make Firefox move to the tab to the left when closing a tab?

I tried this add-on: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/select-after-closing-current/

But what happens is that it opens the tab to the right, and THEN moves to the left.

I have the Focus On Left Tab After Closing extension installed, and I'm pretty sure thats what you want.

Klyith posted:

You do you, but if you aren't using strong, unique passwords for everything you are tinfoiling yourself into far more insecurity than whatever your paranoid imagination comes up with about password managers. If you can remember them all in your head you are doing passwords wrong in the modern world (or you have rain man memorization ability).

I use a "single" password that is 13 digits long of gibberish, that I modify slightly depending on the title of the website. It's pretty great since it's extremely secure and easy to remember. Someone might be able to crack the pattern, but they'd require like half a dozen leaked passwords to figure it out.

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

astral posted:

This has undoubtedly already happened.

I'm subscribed to a number of those mailing lists that check for password leaks, and they're always for ancient websites I haven't touched in years, long before I started my new password method (oh no my Neopets account when it was Petname123)

Klyith posted:

Nope, this is not extremely secure: there have been a number of cases where websites run by idiots kept passwords in plaintext and then been hacked. Also cases where hackers compromise websites to steal info on entry (ie you fill in the text box with a password or credit card number, and instead of securely going to the site gets transparently copied to the badguys).

Your pattern probably isn't as unguessable as you think. This is what some people do for a hobby or how they make their living. But regardless, if someone were to guess merely that your password was repeated with a pattern, this would make cracking any other hashed password leaks tied to you (same email address for example) much easier. They might just run 12 characters + all combinations of 6 characters. This reduces your password strength to something that is trivial to break.

It also means that changing your password is probably quite difficult.

ANY FORM OF PASSWORD REUSE IS BAD.

I'm tempted to post some here to see some brains melt trying to decipher it.

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Has anyone figured out a restart button for the newer versions yet?

Edit: (I don't care about keeping tabs between restarts, I'm dicking around in my userChrome and am tired of manually exiting and starting it again, especially when half the time a message pops up saying "Firefox is still running!")

Double edit: better yet, can anyone tell me how to add a "space" to the bottom of the window, so firefox stops placing things behind the tabs I've forced down there?

Finally got my tabs working mostly correct, but now they are on top of whatever is at the bottom of the window. Most of the time its fine, but on certain websites it makes navigation difficult (such as covering up the time progress bar in spotify).

Fashionable Jorts fucked around with this message at 03:28 on Sep 17, 2019

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

You can buy a two-terabyte thumb drive for like $40. I doubt you'll need more than five thousand profiles.

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

FRINGE posted:

Say what? Link?

I was doing a casual glance out of curiosity, and looking into it with more scrutiny it seems like the cheap ones are trash. For a good 2TB you're looking at over a hundred bucks. Still, USB drives are abundant, they sell 64gb at 7-11s now.

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Nth Doctor posted:

Tab Mix Plus :smith:

I pour one out for tab mix plus every time I start my computer.

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Booourns posted:

I really don't understand why they need to always change little things in small ways that don't help and just mess with my muscle memory, the top sites thing in the new tab used to be in the middle, now they're along the top for some reason?

Because every tech company expects "work" from their employees, so they just gently caress around with things to make it seem like they're doing something important.

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Oh wow, what a surprise. A firefox update that broke my tabs-at-bottom tweak.

Thanks guys.

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

FRINGE posted:

Yeah so much better than fixing all the UI deficits that require 3rd party tricks and manual application of CSS scripts to solve.

Hey now, Firefox has been a great tool for refreshing my coding skills. Where else will I get that opportunity?

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

If the government wants to get you, they'll get you.

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Can anyone tell me where firefox moved the ability to save my shipping address to autofill immediately when I open up the 'enter your address' part of a website?

All of the online guides tell me to go Options>Privacy>Autofill>Saved Addresses, but that doesn't exist.

Did they remove it or just move it? Or is there a extension that exists now that does it automatically?

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Oh fun, now whenever I open firefox it doesn't keep me logged into anything. The gently caress is going on here.

Edit: somehow I managed to check the box that says Delete cookies and site data when Firefox is closed.

Fashionable Jorts fucked around with this message at 19:24 on Jan 11, 2020

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN posted:

in firefox im having an issue with the forums when i click on links to a quoted post like this

the loading images and tweets push the page down and the post off the screen. is there some way i can fix this?

e: actually it does it when going to last read post in a thread as well

I just kind of assumed thats how these forums worked, since they're a hundred years old and held together by duct tape and a prayer.

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

biznatchio posted:

Scroll anchoring was one of the reasons I first made SALR way back when. Everything is so loving infuriating without it.

Is there a trick to installing SALR on newer versions of Firefox? All I get is this error:

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Schwarzwald posted:

What's the current easiest way to set tabs below the toolbars?

I could have sworn that I had something that did that, but today when I booted firefox up the tabs were back on top.

It literally changed for me within the last five minutes. Restarted my computer for another program's setup, and bam, tabs are up top yet again.

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Speaking of youtube, does anyone know of a way to stop fullscreen youtube videos from scrolling? Haven't been able to find an addon/script myself.

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

astral posted:

What do you mean by stop them from scrolling?

When you're in a fullscreen video, you can still scroll down and see the description, links, and comments.

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

SirViver posted:

I think it's a pretty neat feature :shrug:

It doesn't take any functionality away and allows you to quickly check the upcoming video or description without having to go out of fullscreen. Frankly I find the strong reactions to this quite bewildering. I can understand it when they decide to make yet another UI change for the sake of it or remove yet another piece of customizability, but this of all things is either an improvement if you use it or doesn't affect you at all if you don't.

Im almost always playing games while watching youtube, and some games don't truly "lock" the cursor to their screen, so scrolling in the game shoots the youtube window down to the comments.

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Broken for me as well, so I'm willing to bet they changed something on their side that wrecked it.

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Firefox had tab control perfect. Well, Tab Mix Plus did. Remember being able to choose from a massive list of commands and have them - and only them - show up in your context menu?

RIP Tab Mix Plus, you were too beautiful for this world.

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

A Grand Egg posted:

So why don't more people in this thread actually just stop using FF, instead of complaining non stop.

Seems far easier. Or is the whinging what you want out of this.

i don't meant to be mean, but some of the reactions in here from people are literally hysterical. Like, seek help.

Because chrome is worse, and no other browser is even worth mentioning

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Flipperwaldt posted:

Yes, NewPipe can do picture in picture or background play without a subscription or even being logged in.

Just downloaded this, and am slightly confused. Can I not log in to my youtube account with this?

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Ahh. I guess that's cool for those who want it, I still want to be logged in and get recommendations and like videos. But I also want to be able to turn my phone's screen off and listen to music

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Klyith posted:

Firefox on android will continue playing audio with the screen off, and can log into youtube. (get Preview / Beta / not the main version which is old and slow)

Firefox android isn't amazing but it has ublock and the new version is vastly improved w/r/t page loads, even if there are some whack UI choices.

Thanks, I'll check it out. I haven't used firefox on mobile in ages now, it just flat out didn't work on my previous phone, and I never bothered with my new one.

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

I wonder if anyone could tell me why Firefox, within the last month, has decided to start using 75-95% of my GPU for a few minutes at random?

Wheee

Fashionable Jorts fucked around with this message at 01:58 on Jul 24, 2020

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

doctorfrog posted:

Pinned tab with game running on it? What does about :performance say?

I'll check that when I get some time this weekend, but it does happen with a single window with a single tab (more frequently if it's youtube).

If I play a full screen game on one monitor and firefox YouTube on the other, it happens far more often.

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Klyith posted:

Is your main monitor with the game a 144hz or variable refresh rate one? Monitors with different refresh rates tends to cause wonky behaviors that MS has never quite fixed.

No, it's 60hz I believe. It's pretty ancient, and the issue has only started within the last month or so. No hardware changes.

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

So I did some more thorough digging since I had more time tonight, and it's my loving vpn thats using all of my GPU. It would randomly spike up and use upwards of 60% at a time, leaving firefox and whatever game I'm playing with very little to share so both would slow down.

Thanks for the help anyway, it was nice to learn about about :performance which I'm sure will be useful in some future problem.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Inceltown posted:

lmao, is your vpn mining bitcoins?

Maybe? I'm actually a little worried. I've had this one since November so who knows, maybe it was a long con.

gary oldmans diary posted:

Using a VPN system-wide was a pretty poor experience for me as well and configuring only the torrent application to use it was much better.

I did get the VPN exclusively for piracy protection, so I'll have to look into setting it up like that.