Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
I like Australis. I only wish ChromaTabs Plus worked with it. It's pretty much the only add-on I feel I really need apart from Locationbar2. Being able to determine tabs for sites at a glance because of their colour is super useful to me. I know there's Colorful Tabs but it reuses the same five colours for everything, kind of making it pointless.

Aside from that, I like Australis.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
Edge seems okay. Not great, but faster and nicer than IE for sure.

Not sure if this is the right place for this, but a Flashless web is awesome. Ever since Firefox did that update for H264 and I made another install for Win10 I've been going pretty much pluginless (And addon less almost as well). And it's been great. YouTube was the last reason I was using Flash and the fact that YouTube seems nicer with HTML5 than Flash is amazing. The only time I ever come across places that want Flash it's usually for annoying ads or stupid web games.

gently caress Flash, I hope it dies.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
I remember using SpinRite only to verify a drive was actually super hosed. Basically if a drive was in question we backed everything up, set it all up, then ran SpinRite on the old one because you could tell pretty quickly whether it was screwed or not. Not that useful but it gave us an out to basically take a picture of the results and go "Yeah, see all those red bits? That's bad, you need a new drive." Much more obvious than the standard chkdsk result, but only really useful to CYA.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010

Khablam posted:

That's a pretty expensive way of presenting the same information in a different format?
Spinrite is functionally chkdsk /r only it will re-try some insane number of times (2 or 3 thousand or something) and then it'll just write the average result and call it recovered. There are vanishingly few times that will ever be useful to anyone.

If the drive is still good, restore from backup.
If the drive isn't good, take the cost of a spinrite license and buy a new one. Then restore from backup.

It's literal only use is if you're billing by the hour and you can leave it running for 72 hours or something and claim you're 'doing recovery'.

I didn't pay for the license, that was my old boss. Decided it was the best way to do things. I argued all the points you made but in the end he decided it was the best way to go with it. Whatever, it basically meant I fixed a computer (We were a small time shop) and then the day before it was finished and finalised I ran SpinRite while doing other stuff. Like I said, I know it's completely useless but apparently the boss thought that was the way to go on it. There was only one actual computer set up with SpinRite, and we just plugged it into a caddy (I believe USB1.0 because he was too cheap to get decent ones) to run it.

Honestly, it wasn't terrible. It certainly wasn't a great system but it didn't take up any of our time while we did other things, and it did give a pretty report that actually did shut up a few customers who claimed their drives were fine. So iunno, it worked?

Edit: To make this about Firefox, is 64-bit standard yet? I think I'm still on 32. Any problems with uninstalling FF and installing 64 bit or should I wait a bit? I know it's "out" but I can't remember if it's gold.

syntaxfunction fucked around with this message at 03:55 on Feb 26, 2016

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
I use Firefox (still love it) and only have an adblocker that is turned off on pretty much all my frequent sites. So I guess I'm the weirdo? It's not that I dislike Chrome or anything else, it's just I haven't seen the need to not use Firefox for my use case.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
Not that I'm aware of? I don't have Flash or anything like that installed so everything defaults to HTML5 video which works great. No driver issues either and I've had the same profile since I had Windows 7, upgraded to 10 with no change and no issues. I have about three active computers in the house all with Firefox and I've never had any issues. I don't even remember when Firefox last crashed on me, and I get mad when things don't work. Honestly if it weren't for this thread I wouldn't have thought there were any real issues to speak of.

I totally understand that there are bugs and faults and all that. I'm just being one of those annoying forum guys who just says "works for me!"

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
Is there a theme for Firefox to make it feel a little closer to the Windows 10 feel? A big part is that if you open Explorer, or Music or Skype or whatever else they have a colour scheme that fits in, especially with their title bar being the colour I picked for the system theme. Firefox just sits there being grey, and the parts that would be white on most other programs is greyish off white. It doesn't look bad and if there's no answer then it's not going to bug me, but it'd be neat if there was something to make it feel more "native".

Speaking of themes, hooooly poo poo are there some terrible ones that have huge followings. No, I really don't want my browser to look like a Winamp skin from '99 with the "bubble" look and all.

I just updated to 49. Recent bookmarks is super handy for me cause I am absolutely one of those people who just bookmarks everything into "Other Bookmarks" until I do Spring cleaning and wonder why I can never find anything. I assume Firefox syncs the list between devices too?

Second to lastly, I have uBlock Origin and Tabscope installed. Anything else I should try that will make my life easier? I see there's a new fork of Locationbar2 so I'll get on that.

Lastly, with the addons I have (I have no extra plugins except Silverlight) about:support says e10s is off because of addons. Any reason I shouldn't force it on? Or just wait until it's rolled out?

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
Awesome, that's perfect! It's exactly what I was hoping for! You rock.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
Wow that's awesome. I felt a little sad when Mozilla said they were basically killing their labs projects. This new stuff is pretty neat. My mind is going for a trip as I get used to Tab Centre but it definitely makes more use of the loads of whitespace most pages have. Also the live view in the thumbnails is a nice addition (And replaces Tab Scope which I was using for that purpose). Even though I have two monitors the Min Vid addon will be loads useful on my laptop when I'm out and about (I like having videos playing in the background while I'm doing stuff, but hate having to switch windows/tabs all the time). Page Shot solves the hassle of screenshotting and uploading images to imgur just to show a friend something, or trying to transfer via Skype. And finally Activity Stream is cool, but they've definitely got to add back in the ability to pin sites quickly. I don't need huge buttons like the normal New Tab screen but a small grid of pinned sites would be ace.

So yeah, glad to mess around with this.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010

Nalin posted:

Does PageShot allow you to take a screenshot of the whole page until the end, instead of just the current viewport? I would like something to replace "Awesome Screenshot".

You can click and drag the area to cover more than the current viewed section but there's no easy way to select the whole page from what I can see.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
I actually come here to post about MinVid. For the longest time I thought it was Tab Centre that was killing it because of the live tile updates but it turned out it was MinVid despite me not using it pretty much at all on my desktop. It sucks too because it's such a cool idea. Here's hoping they tidy it up.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
Just a heads up, that Test Pilot extension Page Shot now allows you to select a container (like a quote box in a forum) as well as having a new button to save the entire page. Hells yes. This extension is super useful to me now.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
Since Tab Center died the only extension I really find myself using frequently is Advanced Locationbar. Sadly, it's listed as Legacy. Is there anything that can do what it does (linkify segments of the address bar) that won't be killed in 57?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
Am I missing something or are bookmarks dumb now? I actually really like 57 but the new Library thing is confusing. If I click Library -> Bookmarks it shows me a poo poo tonne of recent bookmarks and a search option. But I just want to see my goddamn folders I've had sorted out for ages. Do I really have to open All Bookmarks now just to get to a bookmark I saved years ago (but use almost every day) in a folder?

Edit: Oh I see. Right after I posted this I noticed there's a Library item and an actual Bookmarks item. Weird.