Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

The last week Windows 7's jumplist for Firefox has been showing me the generic broken/unknown file icon for the links contained therein.
When I go to the \AppData\Local\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\#####\jumpListCache folder, there's 7 .ico files that are 0 bytes each, instead of proper icon files.
I've tried deleting them, clearing the cache and deleting them, deleting them and using the Places Maintenance plugin, rebooting after every attempt.
It keeps generating these 0 byte files.

How the gently caress do I fix this?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

E: Note that the actual links are working fine, just the icon is hosed up.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Welp, none of that poo poo worked for me. Even found some more commands for rebuilding the Windows icon cache, which it does seem to do properly.
But then Firefox generates empty .ico files.

I'm pretty sure this started when I updated to 33.0.3. Maybe I'll try reinstalling Firefox some time.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Im_Special posted:

I'm not really sure then, when files look like that it's usually because of an corrupted IconCache which is super common and deleting the old IconCache file and restarting explorer.exe always fixes that. When files 'are' deleted but don't seem to be removed from your computer, then that's a registry thing and the Everything trick does wonders, happens to me all the time with Java 8 installs. If it's Firefox that is creating those files, then my guess would be one of your add-ons, try disabling every single add-on and see if those files reappear, if they don't then it is an add-on issue, you can re-enable each add-on one one by one again to see if you can pinpoint the problem one.

Curious what extension those files are, .pdf, .html, bookmarks?

I guess that when I get back to my computer after my trip, I'll check what creates the 0b icon files with procmon. And try the stuff you mentioned in your first post. I hadn't noticed that you edited it.
Thanks for the effort, anyway.

E: The links in the jump list that are showing bad icons are most frequently visited sites, so they usually display the relevant favicon. They all link to regular websites for me, no pdf or other exotic things.

Geemer fucked around with this message at 10:28 on Nov 14, 2014

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

velocityJE posted:

yeah how do i make this go away

Probably the same way you make those terrible new navigation buttons in the context menu go away: not.

Read posted:

Speaking of customizing Firefox, I'm always curious how people have their browsers set up. I used to read posts on Lifehacker about this kind of stuff like five years ago but I don't think they do that kind of content anymore, do you guys do any particularly novel stuff? Any noteworthy & underappreciated addons?

Asides from must-haves like ABP, Switch to Tab no more, and Classic Theme Restorer, I'm pretty fond of Anti Tumblr Infinite Scroll. Even if it's a little wonky some times, it's still easier to live with than infinite scroll.
Another great one is Text Link, which allows you to just double-click on links that don't have the html formatting to behave as links.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

I just didn't feel like putting up a full list and only posted the extensions that stood out to me.

Anyways, I finally bothered with opening Process Monitor to see what was loving up my jumplist icons. It's Firefox. If I delete them and then touch Firefox, it'll recreate the 0 byte ico files before anything else touches the folder.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Lum posted:

You realise Tumblr lets you turn off infinite scroll anyway?

I don't have a Tumblr account and have no intention of getting one. But if I don't need one, please do tell me how.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

hooah posted:

Why is it that when Firefox marks Flash as out of date, it isn't able to update it when I click "Update Now"?

Because you shouldn't trust Adobe to make an auto-updater that can actually do its job in a timely fashion, ever.
Get the latest version from here http://www.adobe.com/products/flashplayer/distribution3.html

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

jeeves posted:

I may have asked this 6 months ago, but I remembered about it again:

Does anyone know how to easily disable the context menu item "Search [Your engine] for '....'" when right clicking on any text?

The add-on "Menu Editor" may help you there. My workplace used to use it on the old computer to "lock down" Firefox.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Is uBlock available for Firefox Android?

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Im_Special posted:

In other news uBlock is on AMO, so if you were waiting for that, go make the switch, there is no reason not to. https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/ublock/

Should note that the one on AMO is one version behind right now though (v0.8.7.0 is latest), probably because that was the submitted one sent in for review and AMO finally got around to just now.

I finally jumped onto this bandwagon and now sites where Firefox would crash from running out of memory if I'd open too many tabs on it see an incredible 50% decline in total RAM usage. And other niggling things where the browser slowly starts getting less responsive if it's been open for a few hours are fixed as well. It's pretty awesome!

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Firefox just added Firefox Hello to itself today. It's not even after installing any updates or anything. And it wasn't there earlier this week as I was fiddling with the toolbars to get uBlock situated and didn't see it at all.
:wtc:

I really wish they'd stop adding these useless features and would instead work on getting their built-in PDF reader to not render like hot poo poo.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Avenging Dentist posted:

It's been there for a while. It's being gradually rolled out so that they can deal with server load.

You're aware of the concept of division of labor, right? The developers working on WebRTC aren't the same people as the ones working on PDF rendering.

I see. And of course I'm aware of the concept of division of labor.
However, that doesn't mean that they should get off the hook for dumping in new features that are only functional in that they do what they are supposed to (render PDFs in my example). And then roughly 20 major versions later still not having them do well at what they're supposed to (render PDFs in a way that doesn't look like hot poo poo).

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Superb Owls posted:

Before I go off and replace ABP with uBlock, I just want to know if it has something similar to ABP's Element Hiding Helper and Pop-Up Addon because I'm not changing unless I know that uBlock can give me those features. That and does it have a good UI?

The element hider built into uBlock is quite a lot better than anything ABP or ABP's Element Hiding Helper every had going, allowing for far more detailed filters creation (Nth of <element type>) automatically that can block stuff that would otherwise cause unwanted casualties.
Not sure about the popup thing, never used it. ABP always did the thing where the popup windows appeared and immediately closed before loading anything, uBlock does this too.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Nintendo Kid posted:

I really wish uBlock's picker for elements had a nice narrower/wider selection thing like AdBlock element hiding helper.

Bit late, but when you use uBlock's picker option, try clicking around on the lines in the "Cosmetic Filter" box that pops up after making your first selection.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Is this also the thread to bitch about Firefox Android? Because holy poo poo this these latest versions (36.0.x) have been loving terrible.
The canvas keeps corrupting on zooming or switching tabs or even loading pages and the only way to fix it is to scroll the page far enough that it has to render a new bit.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Mr.Radar posted:

Which device and Android version are you using? On my 2013 Moto X with stock Android 4.4.4 I haven't seen any of those problems.

Samsung Galaxy S4 with stock Android 4.3. I know it's not the latest firmware, but the latest firmware blows chunks.

Also, hilariously, the released-just-today update to Firefox 37 seems to have fixed it. :shrug:

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Grim Up North posted:

Does the shield icon have "uo" on it, and the pop-up say uBlock Origin? If no you'd have to reinstall.

That brings me to the questions: Does it autoupdate from github without needing to be in Firefox beta and how much of a pain is it to transfer my settings and filters?

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Im_Special posted:

Well I hope you guys feel bad now (not you guys mostly reddit and their pitchforks), Chris felt like he needed to explain himself what with all this drama so he made a Youtube video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_D1TpddtVUA

Thanks for posting the video, now I can just decide that all this drama is loving stupid and stick with the version on Mozilla Addons.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Yeah, they hosed stuff up in 37. I've got the gif problem as well and they hosed up the icons in the taskbar context menu's frequent sites again.
Firefox is pretty bad, but the competition is worse.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Bieeardo posted:

I don't know if it's related, but I have a similar, very minor issue when I bring my computer back up from hibernation. The Firefox viewing pane will be blank, but if I mouse over where images should be they'll appear and persist. Typically I have to leave the mouse cursor over the tabs or top bar for five or ten seconds before it seems to realize it needs to refresh.

Not a serious bug, but I thought I'd mention it if it might help shed light on this other one.

I've got that too, but instead of after hibernation (I hardly put my computer in hibernation) I get it sometimes intermittently when switching tabs, especially if it's a lot of tabs of images.
Updating graphics drivers to the latest beta version made it a lot less frequent. But it still rears it intermittently rendering head from time to time after the browser's been open for a few hours and has been to websites that have some leaky javascript; which will somehow still befuddle Firefox' terrible memory management.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

I don't even have VLC and keep plugins that have recently changed to be terrible or are terrible in general disabled until I actually need them.

The issue doesn't rear its head until I've been using the same browser session for a few hours, though. So maybe consider that in your testing as well.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Truga posted:

You can't simply switch from flash to html5, since flash is a completely different thing. Only if the site supports it (like youtube), it will work.

https://github.com/mozilla/shumway

I've got no idea if it's already any good or when it'll be any good, but Mozilla is working hard to kick Flash off of the internet.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Same with Text Link...

Anyways, you can pretty much just import your filters, including custom element hiding ones, into uBlock. And since they're both no-restart plugins, you can just temporarily run them side by side to migrate things and then do tests easily enough by switching ABP off and refreshing a page.

I don't use facebook, but you could also consider trying to block the one script that's loving up.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Aleph Null posted:

Was 38.0 pulled? When I check for updates on my 37.0.2, it says I'm up-to-date.

Nope, they must be doing some staggered release stuff or something. I just updated by downloading the stub installer from their download page, which applied the 38 update.

E: God drat it, they changed something so that in Firefox 38 middle-clicking the last tab doesn't do anything, nor does clicking the X on the tab. Ctrl+W still work, as does the main window's X but gently caress that noise.

Geemer fucked around with this message at 17:55 on May 14, 2015

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Im_Special posted:

It probably was pulled, there is a 38.0.1 installer now.
Thanks for the heads-up!
Looks like it also fixed the poo poo with images not loading anymore, at least according to the release notes.
Also, looks like my poo poo with the middle click no longer closing the last tab may be a tab mix plus bug? Whatever it is, I hope it gets sorted out asap.

E: Installing the latest dev build of tab mix plus fixes it.

Geemer fucked around with this message at 11:16 on May 15, 2015

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Mozilla devs, being dragged into the present kicking and screaming. Now if only they could stop making really terrible UI decisions every couple of versions.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

A profile reset should never even be necessary unless you had bad plugins loving with settings that they should've left alone. However, a profile reset is the panacea for every problem that crops up because Firefox can apparently not even be trusted to not gently caress up its own settings.
Heck, one time it got so hosed that Places Maintenance couldn't even loving parse my profile anymore to fix it.

It's like formatting and reinstalling your computer. Sure, it works, but it takes forever to get all the esoterically hidden settings to act the way you want them again. It's ridiculous that it's considered to be a valid solution to problems that shouldn't exist in the first place.

Anyway, my current gripe for the last few months is that they broke the jumplist icons again. I posted about this way back when. poo poo got fixed in version 36 and then subsequently broke again in 37, still is broken in 38.
However, now it's not putting 0 byte .ico files in the folder it stores them in, it just straight up doesn't store icons at all anymore. At least now the icons look like the default page with a Firefox logo, but that's not the favicon they're supposed to be.

My notebook was still on 36 and the moment I updated it, the icons broke on it as well. So I doubt it's a problem with my computer. It's pretty minor, but it's also kinda bullshit that it's broken.

Fake edit: Also, I'm not seeing any of the jank you guys describe with Amazon, at least not on the .co.uk version. Sure, it does its spazzy reload the page a dozen times thing, but I'm not getting any lag when entering an URL in a new tab while Amazon is loading a bunch of product descriptions.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Pikestaff posted:

So as of the latest update it no longer preserves my tabs after closing and opening Firefox. All my settings check out - Firefox and Tab Mix Plus are both set to "open tabs from last time". I've never had a problem with this before. Anyone else having this issue?

Try the dev build of Tab Mix Plus, the stable version is broken in Firefox 38.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Avenging Dentist posted:

The signing process has already happened for a lot of add-ons, including older versions of the add-ons already posted to AMO (they have a "-signed" suffix).

They just blanket-signed all the old already-reviewed addons blindly.

How many addons do you have that received a signed update after this bullshit started? Because I'm sitting at a big fat 0 out of 3 on that.
Classic Theme Restorer (25th of June), Tab Mix Plus (25th of June) and Greasemonkey (29th of May) got updated since then and the update that was pushed was just the unsigned version because Mozilla can't get its poo poo in order.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Avenging Dentist posted:

Tab Mix Plus doesn't have a version released on June 25th to AMO; the latest version, including on dev channels, is June 15th, which (as far as I can tell) is signed.

Oops, made a typo. I meant the 15th of June, not the 25th. And no, that version is not signed.
You also purposefully ignored that Greasemonkey's latest update is half a month older and still isn't signed either, to "win" the argument by pointing out an error in my post. Also if we're being pedantic, Classic Theme Restorer was actually released the 24th.

Avenging Dentist posted:

It should come as no surprise that reviewing an add-on is what you do to determine if it should be signed.

These updates I'm talking about are the reviewed versions that get pushed out by AMO through their plugin updater. Yet they're still not signed. :iiam:

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Applebees posted:

All AMO add-ons that have at least been preliminarily reviewed have already been signed. Classic Theme Restorer, Tab Mix Plus, and Greasemonkey were all automatically signed when the new versions were published.

Mozilla used the "-signed" suffix only to bump the version number so that users would update to the new signed version without developers having to do anything. If a developer submits a new version, it will be signed when it is published, and it won't have the "-signed" suffix.

Thanks for clarifying! I didn't know that. Sorry for making an rear end out of myself, then.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Riso posted:

I've several gripes with firefox.
The first is that it seems to use 25% cpu at all times and the other that html5 videos only play when the tab's in focus. As soon as I switch to another tab it pauses.

I would at least like to have the second one fixed.

How recent are your graphics drivers?

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Sefal posted:

Firefox was crashing for me all the time so I decided to renew the profile. But in doing that I lost my media hint extension (to watch US Netflix) Now I see it's not free anymore and I can't get the old version installed back on firefox? Any good alternative? Or is there a way I can install the old version back on it? Hola Unblocker is a no go for me. I used to use it untill I found out that it was a malware inficted POS.

If you still have your old profile directory backed up, you can try to find the .xpi file in %appdata%\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\<profile name>\extensions and install that on your new profile.

Not sure if it'll work, but you could give it a shot.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

SteviaFan420 posted:

Is there an easy way to change text and background colors on various sites? The white background black text gives me headaches and turning the brightness down on my monitor to read then back up to watch YouTube is a pain.

Isn't that what the Stylish plugin can do? I don't use it myself, but I've heard of other goons using it to make SA have a dark theme.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

orcane posted:

Is there a way (FF addon, userscript, anything) to change linked URLs on the fly? In particular, there are some old blogs I was reading, and they linked to their Steam screenshots, but since then the link format changed from

code:
http://cloud.steampowered.com/things/
to

code:
http://cloud-4.steamusercontent.com/things
So now the blog shows up without pictures, but they're still available under the new URL. Opening and editing every single image URL manually would take forever, though.

You could hack something up with greasemonkey to do this. Probably easiest to just steal a userscript that does a similar thing and editing it a bit.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

I dunno man, upgrading to Windows 10 and trying out Edge once it supports addons sounds like a less bad time to me than using Chrome for more than 15 minutes.

What browsers are there even that aren't just reskinned Chrome anymore? At first I always figured that if Firefox got bad enough I could always fall back to Opera, but welp...

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Adding to the CTR chat: The hamburger menu button is a gigantic piece of poo poo and getting rid of it is my main reason to use CTR. Also getting the reload button out of the address bar and splitting it and the stop button to two separate buttons instead of the hybrid that never appears to be in the state I want it in when I reach for it.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Not following material design guidelines is a vitally one of the few good things Firefox for Android has going for it, actually.
Of course that doesn't mean the UI isn't janky as hell, but whatever.

The other good thing it has is not being Chrome or stock Android browser, and the ability to use ublock.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Blue Footed Booby posted:

Is there any reason to make the hamburger immovable, though? I could see making it impossible to remove so that you can't remove it, though that's a weak argument given that you can right click anywhere on the navigation bar and select customize; surely anyone who couldn't figure that out wouldn't customize in the first place. I literally can't think of a single reason to not let users move it at all.

Mozilla is really bad at UX and UI design. Just look at Firefox for Android's bafflingly different behavior between phone and tablet.

Just placing the button for tabs on the other side of the bar is enough to completely mess up the workflow.