Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Holy poo poo, Text Link finally got updated after being dead in the water for 2 years and works properly again and will apparently also work with e10s.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

slidebite posted:

I am also having a pdf issue with FF.

If you're lucky you may be able to fix it by going to your Firefox profile folder and renaming/deleting mimeTypes.rdf. It'll create a new one that'll reset all those settings to default and maybe fix your problem if it got corrupted somehow. (If you rename it, you can always just restore the file if it didn't work.)

That was how I fixed my Firefox always wanting to download SWF files, at least.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

GrizzlyCow posted:

So did non-Origin version of uBlock just stop? It hasn't been updated in a few months.

It recently updated, but it was a really sparse update. I figured it was time to switch to Origin after all.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Huh weird. AMO's review process must be really behind then, because it pushed version 0.9.3.5 to me on September 30th. But then when I look at the site, it says its date is April 19th...
:psyduck:

Whatever, at least Origin isn't being left to die.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

slidebite posted:

So, uh, where is the FF profiles kept as default? I can't find it anywhere.. and a search of that file doesn't turn up anything :(

If you go to about :support (no space), there's an entry Profile Folder, with a Show Folder button, clicking on that brings up an explorer window with your profile folder.

Alternately: C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Roaming\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\<some string>.default for Windows 7.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Good riddance. I never understood how they meant you to use it and only got annoyed with it when I inevitably accidentally banished some tabs to tab group limbo while working on a report.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

slidebite posted:

I just built a new computer and noticed that ublock Origin is screwing with my uploads to Imgur. I was getting upload failiures 75% of the time (but not always) but as soon as I disabled it, it 100% worked. Is there a way to disable what is screwy?

I haven't noticed anything like that. But I'd start by opening the request log to see if anything blocked pops up while uploading. And then you could either disable the responsible filter or add an exception.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

I've noticed that Firefox Android plays YouTube videos on the actual YouTube page (not just embedded ones) in the browser now, instead of opening them in the YouTube app by default.
How do I fix this terrible bullshit?

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Firefox 43's 64-bit version is now actually on the downloads page instead of being hidden on the FTP.
My big question now, though, is if it'll ruin my addons with hilarious incompatibilities or not.

You few brave pioneers that already ventured to 64-bit, what's your experience so far?

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

jeeves posted:

It has been a-ok for me and my dozen or so addons.

So, outside of Flash biting the dust, it should be smooth sailing?

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

I went and bit the bullet on 64-bit, setting it to install in \program files\ instead of \program files (86)\, so now I can at least run 32-bit if 64-bit breaks anything. But so far, so good.

It actually feels more responsive than 32-bit, so that's pretty nice.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

It's Not Chrome™ is the main reason for me. Whenever I have to use Chrome, I get annoyed with it really fast and actually prefer IE over it. I haven't given Edge a try yet, since I haven't dipped my toes in Windows 10 yet.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

pandaK posted:

it was not this, also this happened scrolling down to this thread in my bookmarks:

Check if the 6th item in your inventory turned into 127 copies of that exact item.

I see this lovely corruption happen all the time on Firefox Android when I zoom in on some websites, especially this place.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Maybe now they won't have to do hotfix releases within days of the major release as often anymore.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Boris Galerkin posted:

In this case do I still leave "Send Do Not Track Request" from the menu on?

Sure, maybe the handful of companies that honor do not track requests will acknowledge it while tracking by the entire rest of the Internet, which doesn't give a poo poo about those, will be blocked by the extension.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

It's because of the fancy new webm and Twitter integration. Especially Twitter loads a bit later than when the page thinks it's done loading and makes the browser go to the correct point, so you get hosed up alignment.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

I use Unchecky as an extra layer of protection against OpenCandy type crapware installing along with programs I want to use. Obviously still keep your eyes peeled while installing things, but it's great for keeping your parents' computer from filling up with toolbars and junk.

General question: Is e10s or going to fix Firefox being the literal worst at garbage collecting its memory? I'd like for it to not keep a gigabyte of wasted RAM for old poo poo I browsed a long time ago; especially when it still chugs pretty bad if using a lot of memory, even with 64-bits.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

hooah posted:

Would this Unchecky catch that?

If it really doesn't give any custom install options or checkboxes, then Unchecky won't do poo poo. Basically it just checks for installers that have extra crap enabled by default and disables the checkboxes for the extra cruft, giving a warning if you re-enable them.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Nate RFB posted:

OK, this is bothering me enough that I feel compelled to ask. At work which requires that I use a certain version of Firefox ESR (38.6.0 at the moment) I am able to see embedded tweets on SA. Yet at home with the latest (44 something?) it doesn't work. I was going to try a nightly and maybe even find an installer to roll it back to 38 to test it at home but is there something glaringly obvious I might be missing that is preventing it from working on 44?

Disable tracking protection for Something Awful by clicking the shield icon.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

With the Firefox Android 45 update it decided to start showing the three dots menu button for me, while my phone has a hardware menu button.
How do I get rid of this? Preferably through a simple about :config change, but I'll settle for a simple addon. I keep hitting it when I want to switch tabs.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Alereon posted:

This was an intended change for Firefox and is standard for Android apps since Kit Kat. New devices have a hardware menu button but it doesn't actually invoke the menu, so the three dots menu always has to exist within the application. More details are available in the bug, and more reasoning in this request to revert.

Well... gently caress. Thanks for the info.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Alereon posted:

This right here is why I get so drat annoyed when I see people suggesting disabling hardware acceleration as part of troubleshooting, it's just creating mysterious ssues for people down the road.

To be fair, Firefox had some serious hardware acceleration issues with various AMD cards and drivers not too long ago. It was either "turn off hardware acceleration" or "go back to a previous version of Firefox" at that point.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Gerudo Rivera posted:

Sometime in the past several weeks, most Vine videos stopped playing in Firefox (either embedded on or on the Vine page itself). I'm using uBlock Origin and the problem persists even when I unblock Vine, so I'm not sure what the deal is. Anyone else had this problem lately?

It's because of this bug: https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1247496

Basically it's something on Vine's end but apparently they fixed it anyway and it'll probably trickle down to the actual release. In the mean time you could use the various workarounds in that bug report.
But considering Vine is dumb, see this as an opportunity to break the habit of using it.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Jippa posted:

Middle click (scroll wheel) no longer opens a new tab in either chrome or firefox, an ideas?

If it's affecting both browsers, it's likely an OS thing. Go check your mouse settings, maybe the driver got updated and the setting for middle mouse button got changed.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

astral posted:

Firefox will be able to watch more DRM-protected videos without requiring full plugins (like Flash).

Then what good is that "Primetime Content Decryption Module provided by Adobe Systems, Incorporated" that Firefox installs automatically?

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Ihmemies posted:

So how I can figure out if e10s is on or off in my browser? And does the browser report if some addons don't work or what.. I don't really get this thing :downs:

Go to about :support and then look at the line that says Multiprocess Windows. For me it says 0/2 (disabled) but no information on why it is disabled or not.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Sir Unimaginative posted:

Question: Is there a not garbage theme that's pretty much just the default theme (no button icon/tab changes etc) but restores title bar color to Firefox in Windows 10? It'd be nice if I could tell if Firefox is the active window at a glance.

I think Classic Theme Restorer has an option for this, but I don't have Windows 10 to test it on.
I mainly just use it to get rid of the lovely hamburger menu and get the Firefox button back in the top-left. But it's got a whole load of options.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Wheany posted:

Is there a way to delete specific address history entries?

I'm a web developer and I have localhost:7088/whatever in my address bar history, but recently I moved that service to port 8088. But Firefox keeps suggesting the old addresses that don't respond anymore. I want to remove the outdated address, but keep the new address.

edit: Oh, it looks like I just need to highlight the entry and press delete :downs:

This, but for Android. It's incredibly frustrating to keep getting a suggestion to a site you one time accidentally got sent to thanks to a miss-tap because history is apparently infinite as long as it can potentially be suggested maybe.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Zero The Hero posted:

I don't think the web can tolerate having to choose between Chrome and IE. That's like the browser version of the current presidential race

At work I actively choose IE over Chrome and only use Chrome as last resort when pages don't work on IE11. (Wtf DHL?!)
If only for the simple reason that IE is more customizable than Chrome at this point, without resorting to extensions. And my workplace is sane enough to block ad networks at the firewall.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Klyith posted:

I bet they aren't getting good feedback because all their power-users have addons that are blocking it.

Them not giving any indication which addons block it also doesn't help. Or, you know, their general complete lack of communication about it.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

astral posted:

Unless things have changed, any addons block it for now.

Grim Up North posted:

According to the current e10s status update as of Firefox 49 there's an experimental set of addons that do not block e10s:

with the set apparently being:

Thanks for that. I thought that if it was listed as compatible on that nearly-impossible-to-comprehend arewee10syet website, it'd possibly just work.

That list is pretty :flaccid: except for Greasemonkey and uBlock Origin, though.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

my kinda ape posted:

Is it just me or is Firefox 50 slow as poo poo? I've got uBlock Origin, Flagfox, Enhanced Steam, and Dashlane for extensions but it was fine in 49.

I didn't notice anything strange in the few hours I've used it so far. You could go to about :performance and see if an addon is misbehaving, if you don't want to go through them all one by one.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Is there any way to stop the bookmarks toolbar from appearing every time I abuse it as a dumping ground for temporary bookmarks?
It started 'helpfully' enabling the toolbar whenever something gets added to it ever since Firefox 50 rolled out and it's actually getting pretty annoying.

Do you guys know anything that does not involve changing my workflow? Google sure doesn't help because it's flooded with people not knowing how to enable it in the first place (probably the reason why they introduced this behavior).

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Does anyone know good alternatives that work with multiprocess for the following addons:
Element Properties
Image Zoom
Kill Infinite Scroll

Those are the only ones I've got that aren't compatible with it and I'm not willing to let go of.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

You apparently need special about:config switches set to allow GreaseMonkey to touch non-http(s) things.

Try setting extensions.greasemonkey.fileIsGreaseable to true in about:config, maybe that'll help.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

JohnnyCanuck posted:

This is probably an extension issue (willing to bet Tab Mix Plus has something to do with it), and I haven't done any troubleshooting yet, but I figured I'd ask you guys first!

I have a bookmark folder with about 25 links in it (webcomix). I'll often middle-click to open everything in the folder up in tabs. Since 50.x, it seems to display the following behaviour:

1) The tabs don't actually load until I click on them
2) They'll often load a cached version of the page until I refresh, even if browser.cache.check_doc_frequency is set to 1.

Has anyone seen anything similar?

It's Tab Mix Plus. Go look at Events > New Tabs > Groups of bookmarks/history. I'm guessing you want to turn the second option in there off. Or just both.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Yeah, it's real cool and good when a thing that makes it a giant pain in the rear end to look at the changelog decides to just turn on a new default like that. I guess they figure "if Mozilla and Microsoft can do it, so can we".

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Sefal posted:

I use firefox because I can have my tabs under the adress bar.

Why did the other browsers (and mozilla) change it to the top? I think most of them don't even allow you to switch it the bottom. I'm glad classic theme restore is a thing in firefox

I've got some bad news for you. And everyone else that likes a sane UI for Firefox.
https://github.com/Aris-t2/ClassicThemeRestorer/issues/299/

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

You have to keep in mind that even with those API's added in, they're basically requiring a full rewrite of the add-ons. Right after doing the same for multiprocess support.

A lot of add-on authors already didn't feel like going through the hassle to add multiprocess support to theirs because of the hassle.
Some basically added a killswitch to keep the latest version from declaring itself compatible with modern Firefox (Element Properties did this by changing the compatibility tag to go up to Firefox 49 instead of just 35+ or whatever it was).

And those that did actually go through the hassle of rewriting their add-on to support multiprocess now have to go through an even more extensive rewrite to work with WebEx, just a few months later.
It's completely understandable that they don't want to go through that again, especially if it becomes harder or impossible to do the things the old version of the add-on could do. And who's to say Mozilla doesn't decide to make yet another radical change all of a sudden and make them go through it again?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

I can't wait to have to get rid of that Pocket icon again when they start a new round of pushing it down everyone's throat. Also, isn't this literally what bookmarks are for?