Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Ola posted:

Same as Red, more or less. They changed some stuff and rebranded. http://www.iphonehacks.com/2018/05/youtube-red-vs-premium-vs-music.html

YouTube downloads is pretty interesting. I've used some unofficial services to rip youtubes before, for train travel in particular, and the plugins are probably shifty as hell.

You used to be able to download videos you wanted to watch to your device while on wifi, to watch later w/o burning cell data, but it got taken away when they realized they could use it to charge money.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

:eng99:
I literally just broke company protocol and installed Firefox on my work computer yesterday, to get away from Chrome's terrible UX and now it's going to follow me anyway.

Thanks for preemptively posting the solution, Im_Special!

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

You say this, relying on UserChrome.css fixes.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Volguus posted:

I think. Maybe they just piss of me and everyone loves it. Dunno. I suppose they can make those decisions after seeing the telemetry data.

I honestly think they either take the current userbase for granted or are convinced they're Stockholmed to the browser and won't leave no matter what.
"It's ok. I can change him it. It's for the better!"

And they obviously have no idea what users want, as demonstrated by all these wildly random changes that serve no real benefit other than change for the sake of change.

I've lamented before about the other browser options being Chrome (or derivatives) and Edge. But now it's going to become just Chrome and its derivatives or Firefox. And I seriously tried just dealing with Chrome on my work computer, but something about it just annoys me to no end, so I feel like I'm stuck between a rock and a hard place with regard to browser choice.
I'm really annoyed that with every second major version I have to either re-learn muscle memory or dive into about :config and the idea of switching to a different browser altogether starts looking more and more enticing. Because at least then I know I'm going to have to deal with a large change and can mentally accept that, simply because I'm installing new software that I know will be different than what I'm used to.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Pikestaff posted:

It looks like the config options for the new address bar are getting removed too. :shrug:

Lol that bug removing the option having every single comment about not wanting it removed hidden and then getting locked. Why even bother having the bug tracker publicly available?

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

nielsm posted:

I've decided I can mostly live with the ugly growing for now, hoping that part will get changed. I'll stick with the non-XUL urlbar if that's going to be the future anyway. But I'm still disabling all the other dumb settings, especially browser.urlbar.openViewOnFocus, browser.urlbar.update1.searchTips, and browser.urlbar.update1.view.stripHttps. Also browser.urlbar.update1.interventions but I have no idea what that's supposed to do, does anyone know?

I think I might've had that last one happen to me on a different computer where I didn't bother setting all the about :config things:
I get to google by going to the url bar, tabbing over to the search bar (gently caress all y'all single bar users) and hitting enter. Then Firefox put up a huge bar covering a lot of google explaining that I can just type in the search bar (please oh god we want the search referral money!).

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

D. Ebdrup posted:

Speaking of new tabs, the only way I've found to get a new tab that's not glaring white like this:

:confused:
85% grey is glaring white?

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

D. Ebdrup posted:

That's Firefox Home aka about :home - the hint is the little gear icon that's present in the top right. Blank pages aka about :blank do not have this.

In my defense, I didn't expand the timg. :downs:

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Max Wilco posted:

I do. The permissions in the address bar setting is set to 'Block Audio'

Add an exception for youtube to allow audio and video.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Is there any addon that lets me open a big folder of bookmarks and have them only start loading once I switch to the tab?

It's nice and all that Firefox warns when opening more than 25 tabs about how it might get all slow from opening so much stuff at once, but it'd be nicer if I didn't end up having to refresh tabs at the end of the row because they got 429'd (or worse yet, the server refuses all my requests for the rest of the day because I hit its rate limit).

Tab Mix Plus (:rip:) could do it. And firefox can already kinda do it if you undo closing a window, but that requires having had it open first.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

D. Ebdrup posted:

Am I the only one who really dislikes that feature? :ohdear:

It's loving trash. It also does it in the app.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

If it's any comfort, I'm getting the same results in Firefox.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

I know uBlock can also block based on the contents of objects. Requires some advanced syntax editing. I unfortunately never bothered porting it from my old computer. But I'm pretty sure you could use that to block the parts even if their name changes.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

They put the tab bar context menu entries for closing multiple tabs in a submenu and they still didn't add "Close Tabs to the Left", so now it's a whole submenu for "Close Tabs to the Right" and "Close Other Tabs". :eng99:

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Or opening multiple tabs and not having it bog itself down by trying to load everything at exactly the same time, instead of just placing them a bit, which also helps prevent servers from blocking you with 429 errors.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

gary oldmans diary posted:

Modern follow-up to this: To manage sites in the latest Firefox, how do I add them to this list?
:thunk: (Buttons obviously not there. No context menus, either.)

E: Solved, if somewhat poorly.
If I set the default to Block Audio and Video and then visit a site that plays video, I can then click the media icon in the URL bar to add an exception setting, then return the default to normal. Then change that specific site to what I want.

:lol: What is UX design? And here I was thinking the original design was poorly thought out.

E: Wanna bet any bug report about it will be WONTFIX'd because the manbaby who designed it can't take any criticism and the roundabout bullshit you gotta do is "more intuitive"?

Geemer fucked around with this message at 04:59 on Jul 6, 2020

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Booourns posted:

Is there a way to make this go away other than waiting for it to randomly disappear?

There's now a checkbox in it to hopefully turn it off for good.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Klyith posted:

The checkbox just makes it not light up.

To get rid of it entirely, in about :config
browser.messaging-system.whatsNewPanel.enabled set to false
browser.newtabpage.activity-stream.asrouter.providers.whats-new-panel edit the string to change "enabled":true, to false

then restart ff

Thank you for saving me from having to ask how to actually get rid of it next time Firefox updates! :tipshat:

E: I already had the first one set to false, so it must've been controlled by one of the two checkboxes I unticked in that panel.

D. Ebdrup posted:

If that's not deliberate obfuscation, I don't know what is.

It's better than the random poo poo they throw in and give no configuration options for, or even go out of their way to remove already present ones.

Geemer fucked around with this message at 17:39 on Jul 8, 2020

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Klyith posted:

It was a chrome feature for a while before it was a firefox feature. Google doesn't care how you watch youtubes as long as you're watching ads.

Unless you're on mobile.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Does that help with keeping a video running in the background without paying for red, or whatever they call it now, though?

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Flipperwaldt posted:

Yes, NewPipe can do picture in picture or background play without a subscription or even being logged in.

:eyepop:
I actually went and looked it up and dang that sounds good.

E: To clarify, I figured it was just some adblocking proxy thing like Blokada, not a full youtube client replacement.

Geemer fucked around with this message at 17:26 on Jul 16, 2020

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Fashionable Jorts posted:

Just downloaded this, and am slightly confused. Can I not log in to my youtube account with this?

NewPipe FAQ posted:

NewPipe's goal is to as effectively as possible protect its user's privacy. This means, the app only sends information to external servers which is needed to view search results or watch videos.

Having said this, the developers of NewPipe hope it is understandable that they will not implement any form of authentication which might allow tracking a user.

Emphasis theirs.
Apparently it's for people who want as little to do with Google as possible. Which is fine by me. There's a way to import your youtube subscriptions in the app, though.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Sab669 posted:

Ugh, I made a typo when trying to go to a Reddit page and now that url is always the first to show up in the address bar no matter how many times I navigate to the correct subreddit.

I went into the History and accidentally clicked "Forget about this site" on the misspelled entry rather than "Delete this page" so now my username and password were deleted and everything.

Any way to undo this? I never tied an email to my account so I can't just recover my password.

What phosdex said. But unless you got a backup of your Firefox profile folder that you don't mind reverting back to, or you suddenly remember what your password was, your Reddit cookies and and that account you locked yourself out of are gone forever.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

https://twitter.com/withoutboats/status/1217558588857544704

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

OhFunny posted:

Does only Firefox support add-ons in it's Android app? I know Chrome doesn't. I've unfamiliar with the other browsers.

Firefox' add-on support is currently kinda in limbo. If you're still on the old branch you can run almost any add-on. If you're already on the new branch you can run a microscopic handful (including uBlock Origin). Supposedly they'd enable other add-ons later on, but that always sounded extremely sketchy to me* and recent events don't inspire confidence.

For Android there's also Samsung Internet Browser, which is Chromium based but allows ad blockers through external apps. There's no uBlock Origin port as far as I know, but Adblock Plus is available as a last resort type of deal. It has poo poo all for configurability, though.

Maybe Edge for Android will start supporting add-ons some day? Last time I checked was maybe a year+ ago.

*Like how they were gonna fix the insane wasted space in the desktop Add-ons page.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Welp, my firefox for Android finally updated and within 5 minutes destroyed years of willingness to deal with its jank.

About :config is still blocked, putting the url bar at the top where it belongs is terrible UX because the new tab drawer remains at the bottom. My top sites got nuked and only show 4 of them, not even filling the horizontal space because the icons are tiny. Also, three of them are sites I rarely used.

The only thing it's really got going for it is ublock origin. Are there any other Android browsers that support that? Edge and Samsung Internet support only adblock plus, which is better than nothing, I suppose. But I'll miss being able to block specific elements (and specific goon avatars).

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Computer viking posted:

Huh, a mere three weeks after they started rolling it out, Mozilla have officially published a real announcement and a new codename for Fenix - it's now "Firefox Daylight".

As one of the first to get it, I have a distinct "we only really care about users in the big markets" - feeling.

I'm currently waffling between Samsung Internet and Edge (beta) because I lost all patience with Firefox Android within about 5 minutes and confirmed that by trying to power through the bad UI, thinking it might be just muscle memory acting up.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

effika posted:

Oh no there's a blue notification dot on the 3 dot menu for every site that wants you to add it to your home screen & I can't seem to use the right Google terms to see if that is fixable.

I just... The developers don't actually use this browser, do they? :psyduck:

If it's not in the normal options, you're hosed because they still haven't unlocked about :config (and probably never will.)

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Ihmemies posted:

What I don't understand is why everything has to change all the time. Do people really like/want change? The only change I remember from Chrome during 10+ years is that the tabs changed from square to rounded. Vivaldi has been out for 5+ years and I can't remember them changing anything. While Firefox....

Inept management that can't convince investors of the fact that invisible improvements that fix long-standing issues are more important.

Or it's just "designers" running the show, forcing their "Grand Vision" on the masses. Probably while using Chrome themselves, instead of dogfooding.

grillster posted:

Introducing Firefox Bolt, Firefox rewritten as an HTML app in a state of the art Electron package.

Don't give them any ideas.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

grillster posted:

Does the Play Store allow downgrades? I have used the version selection feature on the F-Droid store to work around unwanted or unstable updates.

No. :(

E: Trip report on Samsung Internet Browser and Edge for Android:
Both have Adblock Plus support, which is a huge step down from uBlock Origin, but a larger step up from nothing.

Samsung Internet Browser: Pretty good, but has weird quirks in that it doesn't support the double tap > drag zoom gesture. It also doesn't support my password manager (Bitwarden) because it has whitelists for which managers it allows to use the Android autofill API. This alone made it unusable for me.

Edge for Android: Pretty decent. Though sometimes text is rendered at wonky too-large sizes. Try reading Leper's Colony on a phone screen in portrait mode and you'll get what I mean.
Will habitually forget ALL cookies every x days with no setting to change this behavior. Trying to google for it is also incredibly frustrating because it's all either about the desktop version or how to delete cookies, instead of preventing deletion.

Over all Edge wins out for me, but it'd be nice if they fixed some of the wonkiness before adding more crap like optional news rating services and honey coupons. At least they're disabled by default.

Geemer fucked around with this message at 21:23 on Aug 31, 2020

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

No.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

On the one hand I'm annoyed the new hardware media key controls can only be disabled through about:config, on the other hand in glad they even bothered to put in the option at all, given their track record of late.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

astral posted:

Apparently one of the updates at some point disabled webrender for people with high refresh rate displays (I didn't manually enable it in about :config), and I didn't notice until now. I just force-enabled it.

Megillah Gorilla, if you also have a high refresh rate display it might be worth checking if the same happened to you. Or maybe disabling it would help, if you have it enabled. about :support will tell you which you're using in the Graphics table -> Features -> Compositing

I decided to check my situation out, since I'm on a 144 Hz display, even though I don't have any issues.

Compositing says "Direct3D 11 (Advanced Layers)", while towards the bottom WEBRENDER_QUALIFIED says "available by default; blocked by env: Monitor refresh rate too high", so I really don't know if it's on or not?

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

On Terra Firma posted:

Has anyone ever had a problem where one computer in your household is having trouble accessing google accounts/youtube (can't get past the log in screen, it just says sorry something is wrong try again) on Firefox where it works fine on 2 other computers all sharing the same connection? I have been trying to get into my account for two days straight on my desktop and have made zero progress. It works just fine on my laptop though. Cleared cookies/cache, made sure windows and Firefox were both up to date. I'm completely at a loss for what could be causing issues only with Google and its account system on one computer but not the others.

edit: Also having buffering/loading issues on Youtube. This is happening across all browsers but isn't an issue on my laptop. Desktop is wired, laptop is on wifi.

I got completely locked out of my gmail account on exactly two computers from having a userscript with some outdated and slightly busted javascript running that ran on all sites. Took me forever to figure that one out. It'd just say there was a technical problem and to try again later, clicking 'more details' said error code was 3 or sometimes 4.

Maybe you got something similar going on?

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

On Terra Firma posted:

That's what I was thinking but I have no idea what script could be causing it since it's hosed across browsers. There also aren't any error codes I can click on. It just says sorry there was an error try again. No explanation given.

Do you maybe have some antivirus or antimalware or firewall or whatever that is injecting code into pages?

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

4000 Dollar Suit posted:

Is there an Addon that will block videos from you tube with certain key words in them? every where I go sends me to "video blocker" and it was last updated 5 years ago, tried it anyway and it doesn't work at all no surprise.

If you want to block certain users there's the userscript Block Youtube Users. It's a bit janky, but works. Doesn't stop them from appearing in the grid at the end of videos, though.

But you can add this filter to uBlock Origin to do that: www.youtube.com##a.ytp-suggestion-set.ytp-videowall-still:contains(Linus Tech Tips)
It's case sensitive and will block unintended stuff if you're not specific enough or the channel name overlaps with other channels. Still better than seeing Linus' cursed face everywhere.

I guess you could also get creative with filters and do it all in uBO, but that seemed like way too much hassle to me.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Inceltown posted:

If you're just looking to block a specific channel you can click the menu on any suggested video from that chan and use youtubes "don't recommend channel" option. This seems to work very well for stopping similar stuff too and is how I've aggressively culled shapiro / jorp et al from ever coming up.

That'd work if I were willing to stay signed in to the google account I use for youtube and let google track everything I do on the internet through it.

I'm fully aware that I'm making this much harder than it has to be for myself. And that I probably should look into setting up that account containers addon to save myself the hassle.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Kheldarn posted:

The new Diablo 3 fansite, Maxroll.gg, embeds twitch streams on every loving page.

I was using the following to adblock it:
code:
||player.twitch.tv^$third-party
until I discovered that duh, it blocks Twitch embeds everywhere, including here, when someone posted a video they uploaded to Twitch in the Slay The Spire thread.

Is there a way to either whitelist Twitch embeds on the SA forums, or make that rule apply only to maxroll.gg?

I think if you change it to:
code:
||player.twitch.tv^$third-party,domain=maxroll.gg
It should only apply to maxroll.gg, as per https://github.com/gorhill/uBlock/wiki/Static-filter-syntax#domain.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Got any userscripts that hit all websites? I was locked out of my gmail on desktop for years because one had a completely innocent and harmless JS error in it and it caused gmail and google docs poo poo to completely freak the gently caress out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Storm One posted:

Is there an about :config setting for capping the number of tabs loading in background simultaneously?

Current behaviour:
1. open a page with many links
2. middle click a bunch of links
3. FF tries to load everything at once and slows everything to a crawl

Intended behaviour:
3. FF starts loading the first N tabs immediately and concurrently but only loads the rest of background tabs sequentially, either when one of the N tabs is fully loaded or when the user switches to a unloaded tab intentionally.

This is sort of what Firefox does after crashing with mutiple tabs open, upon restarting it remembers the URLs for each of the tabs but loads them one at a time, only after switching to them. So the functionality is already coded in, I just want to configure it to my liking.

Staggered loading used to be a feature of Tab Mix Plus (:rip:) for loading a whole bunch of bookmarks.

But instead of improving the user experience for loading a lot of tabs at the same time, Mozilla decided to just make it more annoying to bookmark a lot of tabs at the same time.

I took a quick look for your use case. Maybe this one kinda does what you want? https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/loadtabonselect/