Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Storm One
Jan 12, 2011

Freakazoid_ posted:

umatrix kind of works but I couldn't get something as simple as embedded youtube videos to work until this afternoon.

Assuming you're using default uMatrix settings, add this to rules to allow YT everywhere:
code:
* googlevideo.com * allow
* googlevideo.com frame allow
* youtube-nocookie.com * allow
* youtube-nocookie.com frame allow
* youtube.com * allow
* youtube.com frame allow
If you added a generic * * script block rule to make up for the lack of NoScript, then add the respective * YT script allow rules for all of the above.

Storm One fucked around with this message at 14:39 on Nov 18, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Storm One
Jan 12, 2011
https://twitter.com/gorhill/status/934835662985064448

Storm One
Jan 12, 2011
dom.serviceworkers.enabled ?

Storm One
Jan 12, 2011

Storm One posted:

dom.serviceworkers.enabled ?
This worked for me on that site

Storm One
Jan 12, 2011
https://github.com/pyllyukko/user.js/blob/master/user.js

quote:

// PREF: Disable Service Workers
// https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Web/API/Worker
// https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Web/API/ServiceWorker_API
// https://wiki.mozilla.org/Firefox/Push_Notifications#Service_Workers
// NOTICE: Disabling ServiceWorkers breaks functionality on some sites (Google Street View...)
// Unknown security implications
// CVE-2016-5259, CVE-2016-2812, CVE-2016-1949, CVE-2016-5287 (fixed)

I've never needed it for anything, ymmv

Storm One
Jan 12, 2011
Why not use the Firefox built-in password manager?

Storm One
Jan 12, 2011

tankadillo posted:

It seems like there are a ton of options and they all seem to do (or claim to do) the same thing.

Yep! That's why

fishmech posted:

You should just use uBlock Origin.

Storm One
Jan 12, 2011

fishmech posted:

Over time most of those extensions expanded to cover nearly every thing each other one did, and uBlock Origin also covers that territory while blocking ads (if you want of course) so it obsoletes them.
Exactly, plus the less extensions you have the easier it is to troubleshoot when something breaks. If you only use uBO, you know you can fix it within uBO. Don't be that person who uses ABP + Ghostery + Disconnect + an extension just to block Google analytics + another just for social buttons + ...

Tracking protection is an about :config setting and pretty much all it does is use Disconnect's block list that you can also use in adblockers, and if months from now it breaks something you won't even remember to turn it off, while uBO's icon is always right there on your toolbar.

As for why uBO and not ABP or whatever:
- no acceptable ads bollocks
- compatible with ABP filter syntax, what ABP can do uBO also can and more
- much lower on resources
- easy to use advanced mode that gives access to uMatrix-like functionality and targeted fixing of broken sites using the logger witout having to turn off blocking entirely for the site

Privacy Badger is the odd one out because it doesn't use pre-compiled filter lists, it monitors browsing history and automatically creates a profile of tracking sites based on it. In practice I found it meant that images would regularly break because image hosts were seen across many sites and started being blocked.
If you want that kind of proactive defense, I find default-deny mode in uBO/uMatrix to be more predictable.

Storm One
Jan 12, 2011

Craptacular! posted:

I'm "that guy" that keeps FF's tracking protection on and runs Adguard (standalone, the addons.mozilla.org one can't block certain types of ads) on top of it.
That sounds perfectly fine? "That guy" would be someone who on top of that would add ubo, abp, ghostery, umatrix, policeman, request policy, etc and then need to troubleshoot all 5+ extensions when a page breaks.

Geemer posted:

How do you ctrl-click on a mobile?
uBlock Origin is great and I love it a lot. But its a god drat terrible experience if you're trying to do anything remotely more advanced than just picking a filter list if you're not regex or code literate. ABP was a hell of a lot more user friendly in that regard.
I barely make any custom filters in ubo and never did when I used abp so I can't compare the 2 but this seems simple enough to understand. And you can very easily make basic static and dynamic filters from the logger without knowing any syntax.

Storm One fucked around with this message at 02:13 on Dec 18, 2017

Storm One
Jan 12, 2011

EoRaptor posted:

Another Gorhill add-on, uMatrix, fills in the rest of the NoScript functions. It also does script blocking smarter and with a much more easy to manage mode for creating per-site exceptions.
NoScript does other stuff not covered by those 2, though admittedly I find uMatrix easier to manage than NoScript (old or new).

quote:

The main (most visible, but not the only) features of NoScript, beside script blocking, which are not present in any other security product are:

Its XSS filter (already in NoScript 10)
ClearClick (Clickjacking protection), being ported
ABE (Cross-Site Request Forgery protection), being ported too.

Both ABE and ClearClick are scheduled for release in 10.2 end of December or beginning of January. And no, with uMatrix + HTTPS Everywhere + Privacy Badger you can barely match 3rd party active content blocking + HTTPS locking, but none of the above (XSS, Clickjacking and CSRF protection).

Storm One
Jan 12, 2011

Bieeardo posted:

Does anyone have that link to the spreadsheet of popular older add-ons, their state of adaptation, and alternatives?
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1TFcEXMcKrwoIAECIVyBU0GPoSmRqZ7A0VBvqeKYVSww/htmlview

Storm One
Jan 12, 2011

Jack Trades posted:

The latest update that dropped today or yesterday, I think, doesn't show me suggestions anymore when I start typing in an address.
Is there any way to bring that feature back? It's really loving annoying.

about :config, browser.urlbar.suggest.* ?

Storm One
Jan 12, 2011
browser.urlbar.autocomplete.enabled ?
browser.urlbar.maxRichResults ?

Nothing changed for me and I'm on 60 too, :shrug: indeed

Storm One
Jan 12, 2011
code:
||somethingawful.com/images/newbie.gif$image
remove the fi. or forumimages. string from the beginning, there are at least 2 possible newbie.gif, eg mine is fi and kassad's forumimages

Storm One
Jan 12, 2011

pokecapn posted:

What do people use for mouse/rocker gestures in Quantum? I think that's just about the only thing I use regularly that hasn't been converted to WebExtensions in some shape or form.
Gesturefy

Storm One
Jan 12, 2011

Geemer posted:

Probably browser.urlbar.autoFill in about :config.

I have that set to false and it auto-completes for me. EDIT: nvm, im a moron

Try browser.urlbar.autocomplete.enabled and browser.urlbar.suggest.*

Storm One fucked around with this message at 21:30 on Sep 27, 2018

Storm One
Jan 12, 2011

hooah posted:

The only thing in browser.urlbar.suggest.* that wasn't wasn't already true was onlyTyped. For shits and giggles I also toggled the autoFill off, restarted the browser, then to on and restarted again, but no change in behavior.

I misunderstood your previous post, the behaviour you described is how it works for me too, sorry.

Storm One
Jan 12, 2011

Nam Taf posted:

I wonder if we'll ever get to the point where we can somehow spoof that without messing up site layouts? Maybe you could floor() the resolution to the nearest 10 pixels?

Try these but I don't know if resist FPing overrides them:
privacy.window.maxInnerWidth
privacy.window.maxInnerHeight

Storm One
Jan 12, 2011
RSS inside FF was always crap but the ability to tell at a glance if a site offered any feeds in order to subscribe with an external reader was definitely welcome. Awesome RSS works for that, at least.

Storm One
Jan 12, 2011

WattsvilleBlues posted:

It's a great replacement for the native Live Bookmarks.

Got a question - how does one disable autoplaying media in Firefox 65? All I can find is stuff for older versions.

media.autoplay.default

0=enabled
1=disabled
2=prompt

Storm One
Jan 12, 2011

jokes posted:

Goddamn how is prompt not the default function jesus christ.

Because the default is disabled, which is how it should be? If I want the video to play I can click it.

Storm One
Jan 12, 2011

Stare-Out posted:

I'm trying out Firefox because I'll have to switch once Chrome drops adblocks
Surely Mozilla will seize this opportunity to gain back some users from Chr... Oh FFS :yikes:

Storm One
Jan 12, 2011

Nam Taf posted:

is there a way to make zoom tied to the URL rather than the tab?

browser.zoom.siteSpecific

Or you can control it with an extension.

Storm One
Jan 12, 2011

Nam Taf posted:

It is already set to true, which is the default. I've not changed anything there, it just holds the zoom per tab, rather than per domain, and I have no idea why.
Have you enabled privacy.resistFingerprinting? If so it overrides a number of other settings, one of which is site specific zoom, despite what about :config may tell you.

(privacy.resistFingerprinting; true) + (browser.zoom.siteSpecific; true) = browser.zoom.siteSpecific; false

EDIT:

Lightningproof posted:

If I use Chrome with uBlock Origin (with most filters turned on)
Chrome will probably cripple uBO and all other ad-blockers soon.

Storm One fucked around with this message at 15:29 on Feb 3, 2019

Storm One
Jan 12, 2011
You may still control site specific zoom with extensions and keep using resistFingerprinting's other features but that does undermine its purpose.

Storm One
Jan 12, 2011

jokes posted:

Here's an issue,: I keep clicking through Captchas with the stupid "find the cars!" things but it takes like 15 sets for me to finally maybe get through and it keeps prompting me to 'please try again' as though I got them wrong. Is there a way to do anything about these loving things?

Are you using resist fingerprinting? Google really hates that apparently.

Wheany posted:

Is there a way to expire/delete "first party isolated" third party cookies?

Set them to expire when FF closes (network.cookie.lifetimePolicy = 2), whitelist only the sites you want in the permissions manager (ctrl-i > permissions > set cookies "allow").

Storm One
Jan 12, 2011

doctorfrog posted:

Is Diceware still a decent way to get a good master password?

It's the best, if the dice are not loaded. Pick a 80+ bit entropy and you're done for life (or until you accidentally leak it).

Storm One
Jan 12, 2011

Klyith posted:

I really wish XKCD guy would delete that loving comic off his website
:agreed:

Klyith posted:

To be clear, 4 uncommon words like that is a fine thing as a master password of a password manager.
No, it's not, because humans will gently caress up word choice. Just use Diceware properly, which implies more than 4 words.

Strong agree on the 1 Diceware master password for password manager and distinct conventional, high-entropy, short passwords for each site.

Storm One
Jan 12, 2011
Firefox password manager refuses to show the prompt to remember the credentials to my router's login page, is there a way to forcibly add username + password information for a particular URL?

Storm One
Jan 12, 2011
Is that a Nightly only thing?

In 68 ESR and TB typing about:logins in the address bar does nothing and opening about:about then clicking about:logins results in a blank page that never loads anything.

Storm One
Jan 12, 2011
Anyway, adding the credentials using about:logins in Nightly after transplanting the password manager files from the ESR profile folder then back again worked so thanks for the pointer.

Storm One
Jan 12, 2011
There is finer grained control but it reduces the effectiveness of that experimental feature. It's off by default for a reason.

It's possible to individually toggle at least some of the features that the resistfingerprinting master switch controls. The ghacks user.js file documents those.

Storm One
Jan 12, 2011
Probably not worth it but if you do, disable EASE because it interferes with uBO and uMatrix. Or switch to HTTPZ which doesn't modify CSP headers.

Storm One
Jan 12, 2011
Is there an about:config setting for capping the number of tabs loading in background simultaneously?

Current behaviour:
1. open a page with many links
2. middle click a bunch of links
3. FF tries to load everything at once and slows everything to a crawl

Intended behaviour:
3. FF starts loading the first N tabs immediately and concurrently but only loads the rest of background tabs sequentially, either when one of the N tabs is fully loaded or when the user switches to a unloaded tab intentionally.

This is sort of what Firefox does after crashing with mutiple tabs open, upon restarting it remembers the URLs for each of the tabs but loads them one at a time, only after switching to them. So the functionality is already coded in, I just want to configure it to my liking.

Storm One
Jan 12, 2011
I tried it and it does mimic the behaviour after a crash, where each tab is only loaded when selected. It works as described but that's not enough.

Only a set number of tabs should be auto-loaded in background concurrently and the remaining put on a queue, the intent being 1) not having to wait after closing one tab and switching to the next unread one, while 2) not tanking performance by pointlessly loading all tabs at once when it'll take me a while to read each of them one by one.

Storm One
Jan 12, 2011

Klyith posted:

Is your middle-click set to load tabs in the background? (ie "When you open a link in a new tab, switch to it immediately" is unchecked?)

Try setting network.http.max-connections to a lower number in about :config
It's unchecked, and I think the issue is JS-heavy sites killing performance with my old CPU, not a bandwidth or network latency problem. Everything is fine with mostly text-and-pictures-only sites. EDIT: i'll try it anyways

Storm One fucked around with this message at 16:53 on Jan 30, 2021

Storm One
Jan 12, 2011
qine

Storm One
Jan 12, 2011

Klyith posted:

Deffo set up ublock with blocking of 3rd party scripts.
Already using ublock as a global JS toggle and umatrix for finetuning 3rd party stuff. The issue is sites not working without JS at all, YT/Twitter embeds, etc

quote:

make new tabs sit idle because new tabs #1-6 have used all the connections. that will require a fairly low number of max connections
If it does work like that great, but I suspect it will throttle indiscriminately, like once the ceiling is reached, instead of tabs 1-6 carrying on as normal while 7+ halt, *all* tabs will temporarliy halt loading, and when I try to read tab 2, the text will still be jumping around all over the place because images are still loading in.

Still, I'm trying it regardless, dropped max-connections by a whole order of magnitude down to 90 to see if it makes any noticeable difference, good or otherwise.

Storm One
Jan 12, 2011

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

Have you toggled browser.sessionstore.restore_on_demand?
If to, set it to true and make sure you disable browser.tabs.loadInBackground
You might also wanna mess with browser.tabs.loadDivertedInBackground and browser.tabs.loadBookmarksInBackground.

browser.tabs.loadInBackground needs to be true else middle-clicks will switch to the opened tab right away. Couldn't figure out what the other 2 settings did.

Also, gently caress you Mozilla for messing with the about :config page, I bet the option for sorting by user-modified prefs was really harming users or tanking performance or whatever :argh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Storm One
Jan 12, 2011
Hah, I knew whining about it on the internet would fix it :smugdog:

Anyway, after about a week of running with max-connections = 9, I couldn't notice any difference with the loading-several-tabs-at-once slowdown, so I bumped them back to the default 900.