Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Desuwa
Jun 2, 2011

I'm telling my mommy. That pubbie doesn't do video games right!
Welp, "upgraded" to australis after a crash.

Even immediately installing classic theme restorer and dicking around with my add-ons can't replicate the tab behaviour I had before. I've had to increase the minimum tab with substantially to avoid having the active tab completely overlap the tabs beside it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Desuwa
Jun 2, 2011

Read posted:

MX4 theme indev branch and Classic Theme Restorer, haven't messed with tab width at all.

I have a stupid amount of tabs open because that's how I use a browser. I used to set the minimum tab width to 1 pixel and then the styling in firefox would prevent tabs from becoming unusably small. With australis I've had to raise the minimum width to 48 to prevent any overlap, which has seriously limited the amount of tabs I can have open before they start scrolling.

Edge case I may be, but this is definitely a regression in terms of usability.

Desuwa
Jun 2, 2011

I've been using NewsFox because it let me sync multiple computers through dropbox. Admittedly once I found it I stopped looking for better alternatives and don't know how it compares to infoRSS.

Desuwa
Jun 2, 2011

FWT THE CUTTER posted:

Findbar Tweak has a function similar to what you're looking for.

That's actually pretty nice. I'm not sure how Opera did it before I switched a year ago, and I don't use find a whole lot, but I did notice I was having trouble seeing the highlights on some pages in Firefox. It wasn't a big deal but this is much nicer than the default.

Desuwa
Jun 2, 2011

Wheany posted:

Is this a known issue?

When I open many tabs (more than 10) with large photos in them (large "original" size photos on flickr), Firefox simply refuses to show some of the images. It only shows a "broken image" icon. Sometimes when you close the tab and then un-close it (ctrl-shift-T), the image is shown. Sometimes that does not help. Opening the same page immediately in Chrome or Opera (classic) displays the image. Restarting Firefox also helps.

I run into that problem, but I've got an order of magnitude more tabs than that. My issue is caused by Firefox running out of memory (when this is happening firefox.exe is often using 2.6+ GB), if it's the same issue then you've probably got an addon eating a lot of memory.

Desuwa
Jun 2, 2011

One of the recent updates sometimes breaks closing tabs. I'll "close" a tab but it'll still be visible in the list of tabs. If I try to select it it'll select the next tab to the right. On restarting Firefox the tab is still open but I can close it without issue.

I honestly can't be assed to try clearing my profile/addons for this as its fairly rare, maybe every couple hundred of tab closes, but I'd like to know if anyone else noticed this specific issue. Casual searches only turned up older tab closing issues that don't sound like the same thing.

Desuwa
Jun 2, 2011

Desuwa posted:

One of the recent updates sometimes breaks closing tabs. I'll "close" a tab but it'll still be visible in the list of tabs. If I try to select it it'll select the next tab to the right. On restarting Firefox the tab is still open but I can close it without issue.

I honestly can't be assed to try clearing my profile/addons for this as its fairly rare, maybe every couple hundred of tab closes, but I'd like to know if anyone else noticed this specific issue. Casual searches only turned up older tab closing issues that don't sound like the same thing.

In case anyone cares, I traced the issue to the SuspendTabs add-on. Going to have to look for an alternative because I depended on that to keep Firefox's memory usage in check.

Desuwa
Jun 2, 2011

m2pt5 posted:

You can use the address bar as a searchbar without even having a default. All the search engines in your searchbar can have keywords assigned to them, and if you type those keywords into the address bar followed by your search, it's functionally the same as typing in the searchbar. (Example: I have Google assigned to G, so I just type 'g bread' to search for bread on Google. The keywords can be as long or as short as you want, but initials/abbreviations are good - a few of mine are 'a' for Amazon, 'y' for Youtube, 'w' for Wikipedia, 'gis' for Google image search, and 'imdb' for take a wild guess.)

I actually didn't realize you could do this in Firefox. There goes one of the very few remaining things missing from FF that I had in Opera.

Desuwa
Jun 2, 2011

m2pt5 posted:

It's not a new thing, I've been using it for a long time now, since at least somewhere in the early-mid teens of Firefox versions.

On a similar note, you can also make keyworded bookmarks that insert a search term into an url; for example if you make a bookmark to:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/member.php?s=&action=getinfo&username=%s

and give it the keyword (for example) 'goon', you can then just type 'goon <name>' in your address bar to go straight to someone's profile page. Just put %s where you want the word to be inserted, and it works anywhere in the url. (I also have one for deviant art that uses [url]http://%s.deviantart.com/.[/url])

I didn't think it was a new thing, it's just a feature that never made itself known to me. If I thought about it at all I probably just assumed there was an addon for it but that it'd be more effort than it was worth to track down.

I just wish it was separate from bookmarks since it means making another bookmark folder to hide them.

Desuwa
Jun 2, 2011

Bensa posted:

Anyone got an idea when did YouTube force the HTML5 player for Firefox? Yesterday I had issues with YouTube so I had to use "Refresh Firefox" to fix the HTML5 player, but I remember less than a month ago Flash crashing took all open YouTube tabs with it as well, clearly it was still using the Flash player at the time.
I do have AdBlock but it was disabled on YouTube.

Uh, never?

Pretty sure HTML5 is still only opt-in but check https://www.youtube.com/html5 to opt-out.

My guess it's you opted in a long time ago and forgot about it while something was preventing it from working.

Desuwa
Jun 2, 2011

YggiDee posted:

Any particular reason everyone is leaping off the Adblock Plus train? Is the new add-on just generally better, or does it turn out that ABP secretly fills everyone's PC with spiders or something and I just managed to miss the news post?

ABP has a known issue where it injects a lot of stylesheets and things per page (including iframes, which is why that vim page can kill a Firefox session). This has been known for a long time, and it's not like the ABP devs are unaware of it. There's a firefox feature request for sharing resources between pages that's been open for years that would solve this, but it's not really going anywhere. Everyone has just lived with it because ABP is a much, much lesser evil than the crap it's blocking.

I haven't jumped ship myself, yet, but if ublock does almost everything ABP does at significantly lower resources I will. Just waiting to see if other people find that ublock has its own spiders.

Desuwa
Jun 2, 2011

Joined the ublock bandwagon, memory and cpu usage is significantly lower and the browser is more responsive in general. Haven't noticed any ads that have gotten through or other weird behaviour.

Desuwa
Jun 2, 2011

It started over the past week, maybe with the update to 36 but I'm not sure, but longer Youtube videos will run into problems now. Sometimes they'll drop video, and just freeze on a certain frame while the audio continues to play. Sometimes the audio will repeatedly cut out and slowly come back a few times before completely vanishing, and other times it'll just freeze. Refreshing and seeking to the same point doesn't help, restarting the browser has given mixed results.

I know part of this is Youtube being a moving target, but Firefox has been dragging their heels on Youtube despite it being one of the largest and most popular websites, and it's aggravating. I know it's not the same people, but seeing crap no one cares about like Firefox Hello (chat tied to your browser? why?) getting priority over reaching Youtube parity with what Chrome had six months ago is a little embarrassing.

Also annoyances like Firefox ignoring user settings for default behaviour for file types have been really pissing me off lately. Firefox has always been the only browser that gets all pissy over mimetypes and makes it hard or impossible to get consistent behaviour from. It's gotten even more annoying because switching to html5 on youtube and having MSE enabled makes it impossible to automatically prompt for downloading youtube videos, always forcing a right click->save target as. Having MSE enabled completely overrides any application settings, and that drives me up the wall. Just give me a download prompt for the mp4/mp3/ogg, I don't care what the mimetype is set to you idiot browser.

Desuwa
Jun 2, 2011

Seconding this. I once made the mistake of manually closing one window (two monitors, two windows, 300+ tabs because I've lost control of my life) and then shutting Firefox down and being left with no way to restore that window. It hasn't failed me during a FF crash, yet, and you can have it take periodic backups of your current session in case something really goes wrong.

Of course I wouldn't care as much if I could just close some tabs, but I'm a broken human being.

e: Tab groups won't save you if your session file is messed up. They'll just vanish too. As for tabs my ideal is a combination of Firefox and Opera's tab management. I actually rather like Firefox's default tab group system, though it makes me more prone to forgetting about tabs for months.

Desuwa fucked around with this message at 22:46 on Mar 15, 2015

Desuwa
Jun 2, 2011

hooah posted:

Seriously, this is getting out of hand:

Maybe you should curb your enthusiasm for Warframe.

If you've got javascript experience I'd look into your script to see what's going on. It might be getting called multiple times by something. Not sure about the ctrl+shift+t thing though, it's probably unrelated and I don't know of anyone else who has run into it.

Desuwa
Jun 2, 2011

Ads had their chance, but ad companies have repeatedly proven that they don't care about preventing malware in their ads. I'd allow non-annoying ads except that I'm worried about some payload getting through a new vulnerability than anything else. Even on the sites that I want to enable ads on because they're small and depend on the revenue I don't because of the risks.

Adblock Plus is slow but ublock does the same thing while being faster.

Desuwa
Jun 2, 2011

37 fixed all or almost all of my youtube woes. I haven't noticed the long video problems I had before (though before it was a coin flip with 15 minute videos and I've yet to watch anything longer since updating). 1080p60 seems to work without any issues and 4K video seems to as well although it demands all of my bandwidth and gains me nothing.

Had to install an extension to get it to stop defaulting to 480p though.

Desuwa
Jun 2, 2011

I've had an issue with pages loading but images not loading. It seems to be common with repeated images that show up a lot, like the quote/report buttons here. They sometimes take a few kicks refreshes to come back. It seemed to have been introduced pretty recently, but I can't say if it happened with 37 or just before. It's not just on SA, either.

hooah posted:

Occasionally, a page will "successfully" load, but be blank. Feedly is doing this currently. I can tell the page's elements have loaded because right-clicking in different places brings up different context menus. In the past, I've been able to ctrl+f5 and it'll load properly, but it's not working now. What's going on?

Edit: Nevermind, it just took a while to actually display the content. Weird.

I've had the same issue with Firefox on Linux but not on Windows.

Desuwa
Jun 2, 2011

Riso posted:

I refuse to use unstable buggy poo poo beta drivers on principle and I expect devs to only test on WHQL because everything else is a waste of time and resouces.

Might be the first person to have a religious reason to pick nvidia.

Did you just never update drivers at all before WHQL?

With all the GPU acceleration browsers do and how much they have to change to chase moving targets like YouTube I'm not going to blame them for not trying to make it work with seven months old drivers that might be missing features.

Desuwa
Jun 2, 2011

CyberPingu posted:

So finally found out why my Firefox wasnt playing any HTML5 sounds through my USB headset.

Apparently the default settings for Razer headsets is to block Youtube by default in the synapse settings.

Only youtube, not ANY OTHER loving MEDIA or audio.

But yeah, so if anyone else is having a similar issue, check your Synapse settings....

Everything I hear about Razer makes me glad I bought something else.

Desuwa
Jun 2, 2011

Alereon posted:

You probably don't actually need the Synapse software unless you want app-detection to apply profiles or something, or want to do something really fancy.

Software that makes unexpected, unrelated, and unasked for changes is the worst thing to have to try to figure out. At least in this case it's kind of sort of related, but a weird default.

I had some bluetooth software, I think it might have actually been part of the default Windows Bluetooth stack, that popped up an on screen display when you changed caps/num/scroll lock. I never use any of those so I didn't notice it for a week or two after activating Bluetooth and they'd throw me out of full screen games when I fat fingered caps lock. Took me hours looking for malware/unwanted software before I stumbled upon the answer with a lucky Google search.

Desuwa
Jun 2, 2011

Celexi posted:

my 24 gb of ram are giggling at this ram conversation

Yeah and I could use over 32GB of RAM with chrome if I don't install an extension to unload tabs. I have hundreds because I don't understand closing browser tabs or doing anything except opening more tabs "for later."

In Firefox I have to restart my browser somewhat frequently because I often push it into a state where the garbage collector stops performing. If I don't do something intensive, like opening a bunch of YouTube tabs at over on top of my already bloated browsing habits, it doesn't happen because the GC can keep up.

Can't wait for 64 bit Firefox, even if it's like six months behind by now.

Desuwa
Jun 2, 2011

Celexi posted:

lmao that is some pretty bad tab hoarding

I have tab groups I haven't opened for over a year.

I am living the dream.

Desuwa
Jun 2, 2011

I've been using this addon and I've noticed that it fucks up downloading ogg audio-only for some odd reason. I'm not sure why, my ffmpeg is up to date (though I'm not sure if it even uses it, and I've had no trouble pulling ogg audio from the webms myself), but directly downloading ogg audio with this addon produces terrible blips in the sound.

Desuwa
Jun 2, 2011

I'll wait and see but probably the biggest draw of Firefox over chrome is that if the devs implement some stupid misfeature or usability regression an add-on will be able to fix it. Both the chrome team and Mozilla have a real problem catering to all but the lowest common denominators, and with chrome extensions you just can't pick up the slack. Seriously check either bug tracker and see hundreds of bugs closed as working as intended with really condescending responses.

The fact that they're talking so much about making multi-browser extensions standard really had me worried because a lot of things just aren't possible in chrome or other browsers.

e:

quote:

Removing the permissive addons model is pure Kryptonite. It will limit innovation.
It’s precisely the long tail that nobody is ever going to design an API for that matters in the aggregate.

Desuwa fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Aug 21, 2015

Desuwa
Jun 2, 2011

If it's like chrome extensions will only be able to call APIs the developers have implemented. So modifications the devs don't foresee, feel like supporting, or want to allow will be impossible.

If it gets locked down too much or too many add-ons stop working I might give some of those Firefox derivatives a look out just bite the bullet and go to chrome.

I hate how, to chrome, I'm not The User(tm) but if I've can't customize either browser there's no point in choosing Firefox.

Desuwa
Jun 2, 2011

I have a great idea! Let's kill off the single most popular add-on which is the only thing keeping a significant part of our userbase from jumping ship to one of our derivatives that doesn't pander as hard to the least technical users!

I'm all for making a more secure browser and making it easier for new users to adapt, but look at Opera now. It went from a small but dedicated set of users, which included myself, to basically nothing; if you gut the core appeal of a browser it doesn't matter if it keeps the same name, it's dead.

I'm sure some, probably many, functions in classic theme restorer will be possible, but it only takes a few new frustrations to drive me to a new browser in hopes of greener pastures. Or devs who can leave good enough alone, or provide options to go back to good enough when they can't.

Desuwa
Jun 2, 2011

Alereon posted:

Christ guys, add-ons aren't dead, Firefox is just transitioning to a new high-performance add-on API. Overall jank and performance issues caused by add-ons have been the top complaints about Firefox, and this will address both of those.

Chrome has a high performance add-on API. The lack of flexibility is why I can't see myself using it except as a last resort.

It remains to be seen how much customization will be lost, since I don't expect them to lock it down as much as Chrome is by design. Extensions really can't touch much of the UI of Chrome because it's all native code where I don't expect Firefox to be locked down that much. On the other hand if I were willing to give up a lot of customization for performance I'd already be using Chrome.

My changes to Firefox are rather minor - I expect most will remain possible - the biggest ones being removing australis, minimizing tab width to fit more tabs, and unloading inactive tabs. That third one might break, even if only temporarily, as Firefox moves to separate processes per tab if they don't code APIs specifically to handle it, and without that I won't be able to run Firefox with my 16GB of RAM.

Desuwa
Jun 2, 2011

Keep in mind CTR is a very, very broad add-on that touches a lot of things. It's not at all surprising that part of it is breaking but I don't think even Mozilla is dumb enough to make what it's doing, by and large, impossible.

Oh I forgot about Newsfox. :rip: Google reader. That's also another one pretty likely to get killed and I would be absolutely livid to have to jump to another RSS reader again.

Desuwa
Jun 2, 2011

Geemer posted:

I dunno man, upgrading to Windows 10 and trying out Edge once it supports addons sounds like a less bad time to me than using Chrome for more than 15 minutes.

What browsers are there even that aren't just reskinned Chrome anymore? At first I always figured that if Firefox got bad enough I could always fall back to Opera, but welp...

Opera went full re-skinned Chrome and completely ruined its appeal. You could argue that Opera was bloated but you barely even needed extensions based on how much it provided from the get-go and how much customization you had. After it turned into a Chrome skin with absolutely no features of its own its user base tanked. I'm not sure about now but for years the Opera 12 user base was larger than the combined user base of all the post-Chrome versions.

Grim Up North posted:

I don't think they are going to kill ABP. In fact uBlock Origin, which is a better replacement, was ported from Chrome.

Huh, I was going off the mistaken impression, not sure from where, that CTR was the most popular add-on, or highest rated, or something. Welp, my mistake. Core point still holds; I know a fair number of people who are relying on CTR to keep their Firefox experience somewhat consistent.

Desuwa
Jun 2, 2011

Fangs404 posted:

Those of you that you CTR - what exactly about the current look of FF don't you like? I really like the improvements and simplifications over the last 5-10 versions they've made to the UI.

Sometimes it's just not liking change for the sake of change, especially in regards to appearance, sometimes whatever improvements were introduced don't outweigh the cost of adapting to the change, and sometimes you need to fix regressions because the devs don't really care about the long tail of power users and their wants.

For me I do not use the UI forward/back/go/refresh buttons because I have those on my mouse or hit enter. I have hundreds of tabs and CTR makes it easiest to make them compact and stylish hides the arrows because I scroll with my mouse. Despite that I like having a small menu button in the upper left because I can move my mouse onto it one motion from anywhere on the screen, even if I don't use it very much.

e: Most of this should still be possible going forward, but "most" is a very, very different beast from "all." It was surprisingly petty things that got me to originally choose pre-Chrome Opera over Chrome, like not resizing images on new tabs. Never mind that Opera eventually introduced that without an option to revert to the old behaviour and I had to override images.css to fix it.

Desuwa fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Aug 22, 2015

Desuwa
Jun 2, 2011

Nintendo Kid posted:

I've been using Android for 6 years and i don't think I've ever used this supposed "native zoom gesture".

It took me five months to figure out why zooming on Android was so loving difficult and inconsistent.

I bet it's because of a patent or some dumb poo poo.

Desuwa
Jun 2, 2011

Plorkyeran posted:

I use Nightly and have like 20 addons installed, and FF crashes something like once a week for me. When that happens, I have to wait all of two minutes for it to restart. Stability is a complete non-issue for me, so why would I be happy about sacrificing functionality for it?

I get maybe one crash every two weeks but I constantly open too many youtube tabs and drive up the memory usage to the point where I need to restart Firefox. I don't think it's a memory leak or anything, even though I do close the tabs, because the same amount of tabs spread out over a week won't cause issues. Firefox seems to be pretty dumb about realizing that it's running into the memory limits for a 32 bit process and isn't aggressive enough with its garbage collection.

Would be fixed if they got off their rear end and made their 64 bit version, which people have wanted for years and every other major browser has.

Desuwa
Jun 2, 2011

Not holding my breath with how much its been pushed back, delayed, or de-prioritized.

Desuwa
Jun 2, 2011

The Merkinman posted:

Change I don't like = change for the sake of change :allears:

I'd count curved tabs as change for the sake of change. Well maybe change for the sake of matching Chrome, which is worse. No usability improvement with that.

Desuwa
Jun 2, 2011

Avenging Dentist posted:

Something-something Fitts's Law on screen boundaries

If you're going to bring up Fitt's Law then explain the stupid hamburger. There's a straight usability regression. The old menu button had infinite effective width and height where the hamburger has neither.

I don't use the menu button much, usually less than once a day, but I gave the hamburger menu a try to squeeze one more tab's width out of my tab bar and I just kept opening my first pinned tab.

Desuwa
Jun 2, 2011

Avenging Dentist posted:

I think you've answered your own question here: UI that's used less often doesn't need to be as easily-accessible. While it'd be nice to have something in the top-left corner, I don't think the hamburger is high-enough priority to go there.

At the same time the menu button had been there for years and no browser developers cater to people who fill up their tab bar in the first place.

The change was to be more like Chrome, down to the iconography, and it showed. I'll actually give the menu button on the toolbar another shot but it won't be a hamburger. Same for removing the new tab button and seeing if I can't force myself to use the keyboard shortcuts more.

e: Also with australis they could have rewritten the underlying code and still had it look like Firefox, instead they chose to make it look like Chrome.

Desuwa fucked around with this message at 03:49 on Aug 24, 2015

Desuwa
Jun 2, 2011

zachol posted:

I do want to stress that I'm really talking about what works for me. I understand the general explanations, and I'm really sympathetic to arguments about saving vertical space, I just don't have as much of a premium on vertical space on the screens and resolutions I work at. It's irritating when people use the "Fitt's Law" explanation to say that it's objectively better.
It's also really irritating that they're using a specific weird interpretation/subsection of Fitt's Law, the idea that edges are of infinite value. That's not how mouses actually work. Corners are of infinite value, but edges clip off vertical/horizontal movement without arresting the other direction, causing you to slide along them when "flung towards." It's a false idea, unless the regions are particularly wide along the edge it's no better than having a UI element of a certain size near the edge and still having to click it precisely.

It's not at all wrong to say buttons on the edge of the screen have infinite width/height. UX studies have consistently found that elements at the edge of the screen can be accessed faster, even if the users don't consciously notice it. Here's one study I found quickly, and if it wasn't such a pain to dig through PDFs I imagine I could find others (summary on page 10 specifically mentions elements on the edges): http://insitu.lri.fr/~chapuis/publications/RR1480.pdf

It's faster to hit a one pixel line on the edge of a screen than it is to hit a considerably larger rectangular target of the same height that's one pixel from the edge, whether or not it's in the corner. The corners are the fastest targets, though, and the reason is obvious; with a corner you can overshoot in both dimensions where with an edge you still have to be on target in one. That's still an improvement over having to be accurate in both dimensions to hit something not touching an edge.

You can choose aesthetics over efficiency but you're probably wrong about it not being faster for yourself. I'm not going to dig around for a study that looks at people who are outliers in regards to accessing elements on the edge of a screen but I suspect there are vanishingly few.

Desuwa
Jun 2, 2011

tonberrytoby posted:

They say "Edge of the screen" they say nothing about the edge of the browser window.
From my personal anecdotal observations, people who use their desktop browsers in fullscreen mode are much rarer then competitive fps-players with perfect mouse controll.

Well, yes. If you're not using your browser in full screen then you're not going to get the advantages of the edge of the screen. That should be obvious. I see most desktop browsers being used in full screen in random screenshots on forums so I don't have any reason to believe it's rare or even less common than windowed.

Elements near the edge of the screen do benefit from being able to bounce back quickly. My tabs do touch the edge of the screen, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Desuwa
Jun 2, 2011

I run precious few applications maximized but the browser is one of them. I actually run it maximized on two monitors with my second one in a 10x16 orientation that's better for reading manga.

Note that I mean maximized and not full screen; full screen is only for media and games.