Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

MachinTrucChose posted:

Won't the thread title become outdated by next week? :smug:

I updated to FF4, really hated it (I don't like it when the interface changes for no positive reason), and moved to Opera. Been using it for about 6 weeks. Good browser, but it's just not as good in terms of extensions.

But the move made me realize something. I don't like Firefox, and I don't miss it. There's nothing special about the vanilla browser other than the fact that it's open-source. It's the 3rd-party extensions that make it special.

So I'm planning on going back to FF3.x until the dust settles. If by FF8 (which supposedly really improves performance) the extension API is stable and all my favorite extensions are on board and and they fixed all those BS compatibility issues and it's all merry and future-proof, I'll update and I'll try to adapt to their poo poo interface. If not, hopefully a lot of those extension people will have written Opera versions by then, and I can move back to Opera. And if not that, then I'll just keep using 3.x until the Internet ends.

There is almost no extension compatibility issues, 3.x is old and slow I have no idea why you'd willingly use it. All versions of firefox 4 and up vastly improve performance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
I'm using Waterfox now and it's plenty fast, but what is the Extreme Edition they list but you can't download?

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
I'm using Waterfox 7 RC 2 and it performs faster than Pale Moon 6 did. Waterfox builds are 64 bit only of course.

http://waterfoxproj.sourceforge.net/

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Microsoft Spy posted:

Why not just use the Add-On compatibility checker to permanently suppress checking?

Because that poo poo still requires you to constantly change something?

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
in about: config go to browser.cache.memory.capacity and set the value to 5242880 . Enjoy.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Agreed posted:

Is Internet Explorer still tied into Windows like it used to be back when Firefox first hit the scene?

Yes. The OS needs a native rendering engine and Trident of IE is that. Just like OS X uses Webkit from Safari.

The only way to actually completely remove IE would be to make it so a lot of stuff in Windows can't work. Anything that claims to remove it all the way simply removes the ability to directly use it as a web browser, but it's still in there.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

All Else Failed posted:

This is probably the dumbest question ever, but I'm a relatively simple user of Firefox and have been for years. The newest version makes me livid, however, because it made the idea of keeping certain tabs open for days a pain in the rear end or unsuccessful with this "restore previous session" bullshit. Is there any way around this? I liked it when it prompted me to save tabs or not and that was that. I keep losing like 8 tabs that I never got around to and it's enough to make me want to jump ship or something, but I like the few extensions I do use and I'm pretty used to the new interface anyway.

The session manager extension makes the whole tab saving system way more robust and accident-resistant.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Disgustipated posted:

When copying the link it includes [url]http://[/url] even though it's not shown in the address bar.

That's not true, half the time I copy a link off the bar it has the [url]http://[/url] or [url]https://,[/url] but the other half it doesn't. A weird bug to have tho.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

BrainWeasel posted:

Some time ago I denied an automatic update from FF3.x to 4.0, and ever since then I'm not even getting the option to migrate upwards; only the 3.x bugfixes are offered. Is there a way to re-enable checking for major version updates once I've refused one?

The fastest way is to go to firefox.com and download the latest installer.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
Block ads and move on already. Maybe buy the forums no-ad upgrade as well.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Scoobi posted:

Why would it not have shown up in any other version of my firefox?!

It did help, because this wasn't an issue before 7? I have adblock plus

People have been reporting the problem every release since 4.0. Also make sure you're actually blocking ads then, if you have adblock plus, it's caused by some of them having lovely iframe stuff happening.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
I thought we've been having Chrome-like UI changes since 4?

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
HTML5 in firefox means you're still stuck with crap-rear end WebM, so it's going to run like poo poo, and usually worse than flash.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

HKR posted:

I recently switched back from chrome to FF7. What do I need to install to enable h.264 video playback in FF7?

Flash, basically.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
I haven't experienced any performance issues. However, I am using Waterfox 7 instead of Firefox 7 because this has 64 bit builds and sse optimizations and yadda yadda.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Atrocious Pirate posted:

So on firefox 8 is stylish and userstsyles working correctly for any one else?

it says it's updated and enabled, i only use the 1 stylish script "mark links as visited" the script doesn't appear to be working.

i've downgraded back to 3.6.24 currently, and it's working perfectly normal, but on version 8 doesn't

Stylish works perfectly for me on 8, Scriptish does as well.

Why the heck would you go all the way back to 3.6 instead of 7 or 6?

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Grey Area posted:

There are Firefox 3 themes for Firefox 4+...

He could also right click the bar and reenable the menu bar and such.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

WattsvilleBlues posted:

I don't know, when I have Adblock Plus running, Firefox freezes every few seconds. The CPU goes up to 30% and more just sitting idle. When I disable ABP, it doesn't. I'm also seeing massive RAM usage, about 50% more than in Firefox 7 (I'm on 9 beta atm).

Check your filters, you might be blocking something you shouldn't by accident.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
I found Pale Moon's x64 builds to be less reliable than official Firefox 32 bit or Waterfox 64 bit.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
Wat addons are you missing?

There are official release 64 bit Java.and flash builds and a 64 bit silverlight release.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Lum posted:

Not that I know of. Flash and Java both have 64bit plugins now.

Dunno if there's a 64bit Silverlight plugin because nobody uses Silverlight.

Maybe some obscure poo poo like Shockwave or RealPlayer or something?

There's 64 bit release of silverlight available: http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=227576

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Alereon posted:

Keep in mind that Pale Moon 64-bit is compiled without important optimizations (because his main computer is the only 64-bit machine he has and optimized compiles take too long...) so it can be slower than the official 32-bit Firefox builds (and is definitely slower than Pale Moon 32-bit).

Waterfox is 64-bit only and has all the important optimizations, if people are looking.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

pseudorandom name posted:

4.2.2.2 is a root server, you really shouldn't be contacting it directly.

Bullshit. Tons of people use it all the time.

It's not even a single server, it's anycast.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
The 4.2.2.1 to 4.2.2.6 series is anycast anyway and thus usually contacts an actual server very close to you, particularly if you are in the UK or US.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

PUNCHITCHEWIE posted:

I love the new bug where Firefox hangs and you have to kill it if you try to switch between headphones and speakers as audio devices in Win 7. loving Mozilla. Why do I even use this poo poo browser.

Doesn't happen for me.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Mak0rz posted:

I just started using Waterfox. Is there anything I should be aware of when Firefox is updated? What about extensions? Will updates to them keep between Firefox and Waterfox?

Extensions are the same between them, and stay in your profile which both can use.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

kapinga posted:

Not to mention that pretty much every mobile device that Mozilla wants to run Gecko on has hardware to decode H.264 and not WebM. There is a huge amount of inertia in manufacturing to support H.264, and Mozilla is simply not a big enough player to change that. Apple could force it to happen (via their direct production of incredibly popular mobile hardware), but has zero incentive to do so. And the immense power savings of hardware decode vs software means that H.264 will be the video format for mobile devices for the foreseeable future.

I respect Mozilla for trying to force the issue, but they simply don't have the power, even on the desktop, to change the direction of an entire industry on this one. I'm glad they are finally moving on, because I don't want to have to switch browsers once HTML5 video starts becoming popular.

Hell forget about mobile devices even, I have a pretty decent laptop and WebM constantly stutters and drop frames while pretty much any other format runs fine. I have to keep doing workarounds to prevent Youtube ever using HTML5 video for me because it always ends up being WebM that runs terrible.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
How can I force Firefox to keep history for a long time? Now it's only keeping pages in history back to November 2011, I want it to keep history for at least a year.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

NihilCredo posted:

Try about :config and change browser.history_expire_days

That thing stopped working sometime around Firefox 5 or 6. Mine's been set to 365 since sometime in 2010 when I created this profile, but it's not doing anything as evidenced by only having about 5 months of history.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

kapinga posted:

Pale Moon uses a separate profile, which makes it fairly annoying when you first install it, but prevents these kinds of problems.

That's not really a "problem", it's the way a firefox profile is meant to work.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Three-Phase posted:

Hey, got a quick question - if someone has an older (but patched) version of Firefox, will upgrading whack their saved passwords?

I upgraded a relative from Firefox 3.0.19 to Firefox 12 just today, and their saved passwords and all worked fine.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Geesh, 3.0.19? You might want to backup their passwords etc. to Firefox Sync and make a new profile, just to keep things nice and crisp.

Did your relative notice much speed improvement between Fx 3 and 12?

Well I noticed a speed difference at least. This was cleaning up their old junky laptop from 2009 or so, browsing was much nicer in FF12.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

TTBF posted:

Upgrading to 12 from 3.whatever has not been working for me. Firefox won't start at all. If I uninstall/reinstall the most I'll get is "Checking Add-Ons" which will immediately freeze. It then continues to use 13% of my CPU doing nothing. If I close that and try again, the "Checking Add-Ons" screen won't even show up.

Trying the 13 alpha isn't working either. It does the same thing. I'm on a Windows 7 64bit PC, and my Win7 64bit laptop upgraded just fine.

What happens if you try to upgrade to firefox 4 before going to 12?

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

aunaturale posted:

So I know that not all websites honor the "Do not track" header but with Firefox having the option checked seems to do nothing. My ads are just as targeted as when it's turned off; other browsers seem to essentially eliminate it.

I'm running 12.0. Any ideas?

Why don't you just use Adblock :confused:

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

NihilCredo posted:

Is there some option if I'm interested in keyboard-only browsing but don't want to deal with Vimperator's archaisms? Basically I'm fine with the existing shortcuts for almost anything, I would just like a keyboard-based way of clicking links, which is pretty much the only thing I still use a mouse for.

On Windows you can use the OS-supplied MouseKeys:
In XP:
Control Panel; Accessibility Options; Mouse tab; select Use Mouse Keys

In Vista/7:
Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Ease of Access Center\Set up Mouse Keys

It basically works like this:

The arrows show which way the cursor is moved, / * and - are the left, middle, and right mouse buttons. To make a left click, for example, you move the cursor with the shown keys, then press / (so that all mouse presses until you choose a different button are left click) and then press 5, if you want to doubleclick you use + instead of 5.

If you want to drag you point to an item and press 0 and then move around and press . on the numpad to drop

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

kapalama posted:

There are no alternatives that monitor all the account and log in to whatever account you click on in a GMail window that I have seen.

There are monitors and mail checkers, but then you have to log into that account to read the mail.

I've been doing this with http://webmailnotifier.mozdev.org/ for years. All I had to do was allow simultaneous google account sign on in my gmail and apps accounts. It monitors them all, and when i right click on the icon it gives me a menu of accounts to go to directly without needing to re-sign in.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Navaash posted:

edit: Turning on Aero made it stop. That's a mighty retarded bug though.

Why did you have it disabled anyway? If you don't like the glass look, you can disable the transparency effect separately.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

computer parts posted:

Everything I've seen has Firefox being basically stable for the past year or so, could you provide charts that say otherwise?

Yeah it's been 20% +/- 2% for going on 8 years now.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
Yeah there's really no point to using html5 youtube as long as we're stuck using lovely-rear end WebM video.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Alereon posted:

this lack of optimization is why third-party 64-bit builds are so much slower than the official 32-bit builds.

This has never been my experience with Waterfox.