Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hargrimm
Sep 22, 2011

W A R R E N

Im_Special posted:

Real talk, how the gently caress do I get this blue poo poo to stop.

My cookies that I don't have whitelisted delete after I close my browser so this blue bar from hell keeps popping up, UBlocks element picker sucks donkey, so I can't figure out how to remove this bar without side effects.

Add a Stylish file for google.ca that sets that bar's ID/class to {display: none!important;}

Use the Inspector to find a suitable identifier (right click the bar, hit Q)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hargrimm
Sep 22, 2011

W A R R E N
You can right-click a search box and select "Add a Keyword for This Search" to do it pretty quick and easy. Doesn't work with all of them, but I just tested Wikipedia and it handles that fine.

Hargrimm
Sep 22, 2011

W A R R E N

~Coxy posted:

How do you turn off the new "Visit Site X" always appearing at the top of the list of suggestions in the URL bar?

browser.urlbar.unifiedcomplete to false

Hargrimm
Sep 22, 2011

W A R R E N
It was always only a matter of time until someone figured out a way to work around adblocking for video, by integrating all content + advertising into a single stream. I thought Google would get to it first with Youtube, but I guess Amazon is just as likely.

Hargrimm
Sep 22, 2011

W A R R E N

spit on my clit posted:

well firefox's webpage says i'm up to date, so..yay?

If you want to verify, open About Firefox from the question mark in the hamburger menu and make sure it says you're on 50.0.2

God, I wish they still used normal drat words for menus so I don't have to say things like "the question mark in the hamburger menu"

Hargrimm
Sep 22, 2011

W A R R E N
Is the entirety of Mozilla's branding team incapable of using Google?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OK_(gesture)#Negative_connotation

Hargrimm
Sep 22, 2011

W A R R E N

apropos man posted:

I changed my avatar for these here forums this morning. When I went to pay my 5 bux I accidentally typed an extra digit into my credit card number, then when I corrected it I noticed that Firefox had saved the number in autofill.

So my Firefox autofill now has at least 2 entries containing a correct and a slightly incorrect version of my credit card number.

I know that I can delete these from Firefox by highlighting them and pressing DELETE to remove them from autofill but I don't want to go all the way through the SA ordering process just to bring them up.

Is there an extension that lets you view all your autofill data and preferably search through it to delete things on an individual basis?

I believe Form History Control will do what you need

Hargrimm
Sep 22, 2011

W A R R E N

slidebite posted:

Is there a good plugin that stops autoplay of embedded videos? News sites in particular are awful.

Embedded flash players should be click-to-enable already. For HTML5 video, you can set media.autoplay.enabled to false in about :config I believe

Hargrimm
Sep 22, 2011

W A R R E N
When you're talking about "session saving", is that anything more than saving what tabs you currently have open? I use Simple Tab Groups to replace the grouping functionality that was taken out of base FF a while ago, and it automatically backs up the tab data regularly as well. If that's all you're after you could use that and just ignore the grouping functionality (though I really like it to segment everything I have open into 'workspaces' to not all be cluttering up the main tab bar mixed together). It does also save the favicons of tabs so they are visible even before the tab is reloaded after a fresh start of the browser.

Hargrimm
Sep 22, 2011

W A R R E N

Klyith posted:

It's not a blocker, the FF component that plays video is supposed to just not play anything. But as soon as you interact with the page with clicks or keys it allows video to play. FF doesn't know what stuff on the page might be controls for the video player, so they just enable video after anything.

So:

1. Load page, click on the page, scroll down

2. Load page, don't click anything or use keyboard, scroll down with mousewheel only

And of course they give you a "we'd like to send you push notifications" popup that any sane person will immediately click "gently caress no" on to trick you into interacting with the page first thing :tinfoil:

Hargrimm
Sep 22, 2011

W A R R E N

Booourns posted:

Is there a way to make this go away other than waiting for it to randomly disappear?

Click on it?

Hargrimm
Sep 22, 2011

W A R R E N

Megillah Gorilla posted:

The problem is only happening on SA, so I restarted and looked at the only extension which covers it - the SA Last Read extension.

If I open new threads I've never read before from the front page of a subforum, they all load okay. If I load a bunch of threads from my control panel, then they start to get fucky and not display until I scroll up/down the page.

So, now I just have to go through all the options in SA:LR to find which one is causing it.

But it's certainly progress.

Well the bad news is that I'm having the same issue, and I don't use SALR at all...

Hargrimm
Sep 22, 2011

W A R R E N

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Well, I found out what was making all the SA threads go fucky and not load properly.

Download Manager (S3)

Yeah, I don't understand it either. I've checked this on multiple reloads of both Firefox and Windows now with turning it on and off and it's definitely the culprit. Of all the extensions I'm running, I would have ranked Download bloody Manager as the least likely to be causing page load issues.

Well I'll be damned. This was it for me too, thanks! Bizarre...

Hargrimm
Sep 22, 2011

W A R R E N
It still has a little gold "Recommended" trophy on the add-on site.

Hargrimm
Sep 22, 2011

W A R R E N
You could just use Audacity to capture your PC's output mix which will work for any audio from any program

Hargrimm
Sep 22, 2011

W A R R E N
Maybe he's talking about the new "Proton" UI refresh which is supposed to be coming with version 89. It is a completely new tab bar UI, though it seems like you would really need a catastrophically bad screen to not be able to distinguish the active/inactive tabs there.

Hargrimm
Sep 22, 2011

W A R R E N
It's missing ); after the last curly bracket to close the addEventListener(

Hargrimm
Sep 22, 2011

W A R R E N

RGX posted:

Thanks for the response, forgive my stupidity but in about :config when I paste "ui.systemUsesDarkTheme" I get this:

https://imgur.com/AXehIOu (linked for long skinny screengrab)

I don't see a + button or anything else, and it looks like that value is enabled. Still getting flashing when opening threads, but not when browsing through the forums themselves. Am I being particularly dense and missing extra buttons?

Looks like you set that value manually at some point in the past, but it needs to be a 0/1 Number representation of the boolean, rather than an 'actual' true/false boolean. So you'll need to delete that value with the far right button and re-create it as "Number" instead for the value to actually be used.

Hargrimm
Sep 22, 2011

W A R R E N
Google is making changes to Chrome's extension API that gimps how much access extensions like adblockers have to incoming HTTP requests, making it harder (impossible?) to block certain things. Originally Mozilla said they would just follow along with the change to maintain extension compatibility, but people got mad so now they're going to implement both versions of the API basically, so that Firefox extensions can still adblock properly and cross-browser extensions can use the limited new functionality if they want.

There's slightly more info in the original FAQ from when they first announced it: https://blog.mozilla.org/addons/2019/09/03/mozillas-manifest-v3-faq/

Hargrimm
Sep 22, 2011

W A R R E N
I was able to revert/tweak most of the most offensive changes using only userChrome.css (not the blue input outline though). I'm not doing the about:config toggles since they'll be discontinued in 6 months anyways; I'd recommend looking into the CSS side if anyone haven't already. There's a lot of samples on the firefox and firefox CSS subreddits from the past couple of days since loving everyone hates the changes

Hargrimm
Sep 22, 2011

W A R R E N

Stare-Out posted:

Speaking of Youtube, what happened to the autoplay button on the address bar? I used to have it for Youtube and now it's gone and every video starts autoplaying the second I open it or switch to the tab.

If you mean the icon on the tab, they changed it so when you hover over it appears in place of the favicon instead of being a permanent icon on the side. The autoplay options on the address bar are still there within the permissions menu

Hargrimm
Sep 22, 2011

W A R R E N
If you always have the exact same set of pinned tabs, I think you could hide the first n elements in that list with CSS, but it would be a hardcoded thing and wouldn't adjust to how many or few pinned tabs you actually have if that ever changes.

e:
code:
#allTabsMenu-allTabsViewTabs > toolbaritem:nth-child(-n+5) {
    display: none!important;
}
Where 5 is the number of items to hide from the top of the tab list

Hargrimm fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Oct 5, 2021

Hargrimm
Sep 22, 2011

W A R R E N

101 posted:

I'm trying out Firefox again and I'm wondering if there's a way to disable form history without also disabling search history?

They're tied together in settings.

and I absolutely hate form history but find search history pretty essential.

Feels dumb to say but this is pretty make or break for me.

How would Firefox know whether a text box in a form is a search box rather than anything else?

Hargrimm
Sep 22, 2011

W A R R E N
Firefox never stores duplicate history entries for multiple visits to the exact same URL. The "places" database which drives history has one row for each unique URL, and if you visit it again it just increments the visit counter by 1, it doesn't create a separate row. Wordle is the same site and URL every time so it won't appear multiple times in the history. It's less an exact audit log of every site you visit in perfect order and more an aggregation of all the sites you've visited, ordered by the recency of your latest visit. Otherwise there would be heaps of duplicate entries for every time you refreshed your Twitter feed or whatever.

Hargrimm
Sep 22, 2011

W A R R E N

mobby_6kl posted:

I've been trying to use more Firefox to stick it to chrome, but is there any way to get it to prioritize URls I've typed in before? Sometimes it seems to subbornly refuse to suggest URLs I've just been to.

Let's say I type in "amazon.com", hit enter. Then create a new tab, type "amaz" and it still won't auto-fill it. I think Opera and/or Vivaldi would remember that because it's pretty clearly something I want to go to.

I haven't had this problem with FF though it is actually one of my biggest pain points with Chrome which I use for work. It seems to just selectively ignore 80% of my history as candidates for address bar autocomplete. I had to install a whole extension that indexes the history and lets me query it like the address bar should just do.

Anyways, there has been weird stuff done to Firefox's bar that I always turn off. See if setting any of the following to FALSE in about :config helps it behave better:

browser.search.suggest.enabled
browser.urlbar.unifiedcomplete
browser.urlbar.suggest.searches
browser.urlbar.suggest.topsites
browser.urlbar.suggest.quicksuggest.sponsored
browser.urlbar.suggest.quicksuggest.nonsponsored
browser.urlbar.suggest.engines
browser.urlbar.groupLabels.enabled

Hargrimm
Sep 22, 2011

W A R R E N

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Been a while since the last time this happened, but the latest update hosed up all my custom CSS settings. Everything's either too big or too small now.

Nothing changed for me at all this time, was nice to not have to do even minor userChrome.css tweaks for once. The release notes do mention a change to the UI relating to some Windows accessibility settings if you might be using those.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hargrimm
Sep 22, 2011

W A R R E N
Not an addon, but generally either JDownloader or yt-dlp will handle most everything just by pasting the url