Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WastedJoker
Oct 29, 2011

Fiery the angels fell. Deep thunder rolled around their shoulders... burning with the fires of Orc.

fourwood posted:

I'm having a new font rendering problem. I think it cropped up when I upgraded to 18.0, but I haven't used this computer much for a few weeks so it could have been around in some 17.x version.

Gmail:

Twitter:

The comparison is to Chrome. Firefox is first in both images, and Chrome is second, and at 3x scale. The "Gmail" text and the "TWEETS/FOLLOWING/FOLLWERS" text are the biggest problems in these images.

I'm running Ubuntu 12.10 on a Dell laptop with Intel graphics. This doesn't seem to be a problem with most sites, or even all text on a problem site. And I haven't noticed any problems in any application outside of Firefox. I at least skimmed the about :config for anything with "font" in it and nothing seemed to suggest hinting/smoothing/subpixel rendering adjustments, so I'm at a loss. It's kind of starting to drive me nuts, though. Is there any way to fine-tune font rendering, or am I going to have to bug report this?

Exact same issue here.

Was sick of Chrome so switched to firefox today.

Complete fresh install of Firefox 18.01 and fonts look hosed up.

I've turned off hw acceleration too. No effect.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WastedJoker
Oct 29, 2011

Fiery the angels fell. Deep thunder rolled around their shoulders... burning with the fires of Orc.

my stepdads beer posted:

All you font issue bros:
code:
    gfx.font_rendering.directwrite.enabled: true;
    gfx.font_rendering.directwrite.use_gdi_table_loading: false;
    gfx.font_rendering.cleartype_params.force_gdi_classic_max_size: 6;
    gfx.font_rendering.cleartype_params.force_gdi_classic_for_families: ''; (delete the string)
    gfx.font_rendering.cleartype_params.rendering_mode: 5;
edit: if you're on windows

This worked nicely for me, thanks!

WastedJoker
Oct 29, 2011

When in windowed-not-full view the Firefox menu button appears above the tab level which extends the title bar size to an unfortunate degree.

any way to resolve that?

WastedJoker
Oct 29, 2011

Cheers.

The menu bar is not quite right when not maximized but it's a big improvement!

WastedJoker
Oct 29, 2011

What's the name of that tool which removes unwanted locales info from your extensions?

It was two .exe files (one for 7zip.exe, or something) which you placed in your extensions folder and it went through your extensions, unzipping them to remove the locales then re-zipping them.

I've been googling for this thing for ages :( I first came across it on a korean website. The exe. name is something like hotfixest.exer or something. My memory lets me down again.

WastedJoker fucked around with this message at 16:48 on Jan 29, 2013

WastedJoker
Oct 29, 2011

Mr Hands Colon posted:

I have read up on this thread with all the font rendering issues, but I keep having this problem for the past 2 months. I have tried to reset the browser, ran it in the safe mode, completely uninstalled & reinstalled Firefox, removed all addons, changed values in :config, and yet I still have this problem.

When I load Firefox, there are many sites that render the font like this. It seems to happen mostly in comment areas but also in the WYSIWYG editor for Wordpress. Here is how it will initially render (sorry for the content, it was the first instance I could find):

Everything looks normal. However, after a few page refreshes, this is how it looks:

I don't know what is causing this bolding of the font, but it keeps coming back. This is on Firefox 18.0.1. Any help or suggestions are appreciated.

edit: just realized that my images are terrible, but you can make out how bold the bottom version is. Sorry about that, didn't want to break tables.

This trick worked for me:

my stepdads beer posted:

All you font issue bros:
code:
    gfx.font_rendering.directwrite.enabled: true;
    gfx.font_rendering.directwrite.use_gdi_table_loading: false;
    gfx.font_rendering.cleartype_params.force_gdi_classic_max_size: 6;
    gfx.font_rendering.cleartype_params.force_gdi_classic_for_families: ''; (delete the string)
    gfx.font_rendering.cleartype_params.rendering_mode: 5;
edit: if you're on windows

WastedJoker
Oct 29, 2011

WastedJoker posted:

What's the name of that tool which removes unwanted locales info from your extensions?

It was two .exe files (one for 7zip.exe, or something) which you placed in your extensions folder and it went through your extensions, unzipping them to remove the locales then re-zipping them.

I've been googling for this thing for ages :( I first came across it on a korean website. The exe. name is something like hotfixest.exer or something. My memory lets me down again.

Finally found this motherf...

http://www.techgravy.net/tip-speed-up-firefox-and-decrease-page-loading-time/

It basically removes all the locale info from your extensions/jar files then re-zips them up.

Some extensions don't like it - they'll show as "incompatible" after you've used this tool but a simple update of add-ons "fixes" it. Themes will also need re-enabling after running the tool.

It's not worth running if you only use 3/4 extensions but if you're a heavy extension user, it does make a difference.

WastedJoker
Oct 29, 2011

If I'm viewing a SA forum page with a load of embedded video, any flash video loaded in other tabs will crash or the embedded videos will crash even if I've already fully loaded the page.

For example, I could fully load a page on cute animals with 10-15 embedded youtube videos. They'll all show their thumbnail etc and I will open one in a new tab - either every embedded video crashes or the newly loaded youtube tab crashes.

Any ideas what I can do to prevent this?

WastedJoker
Oct 29, 2011

4 tabs open and FF 25 is using 700mb of RAM :psyduck: My work pc only has 2 bloody GB of it and this is really hammering my multitasking ability.

What are good tips for minimizing FF memory usage? I only have 2 add-ons - Fire IE and Stylish.

WastedJoker
Oct 29, 2011

Alereon posted:

See if disabling FireIE does it, if not try a clean Firefox profile, that is not normal behavior. Also you may not be able to control this but having old video drivers will murder performance on lower-end systems since it disables hardware cceleration.

I really can't do without an IE emulator in FF since a few critical work sites only support IE (I know!) but I will look at updating drivers. I have full admin right so it should be doable.

By the way, would moving to Pale Moon version of FF be advisable alternative if I wished to revert back to 24?

WastedJoker
Oct 29, 2011

I'm trying to find that utility which automatically strips out unwanted locales from extension xpi files to shrink them and reduce memory footprint. You can do it manually but it's a faff.

Anyone got the link? It's a Korean utility which isn't making finding it easy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WastedJoker
Oct 29, 2011

I posted the details in your first link :laffo:

I'm a failure of a human being