Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fookolt
Mar 13, 2012

Where there is power
There is resistance
I've used Waterfox for over a year, but I never really found a benefit with it. I know it's faster in benchmarks, but I never really found a difference in performance even with Firefox using over 1500MB of RAM.

I'm running Windows 7 x64 with 24GB of RAM and an i7 920 if it means anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fookolt
Mar 13, 2012

Where there is power
There is resistance

Aleksei Vasiliev posted:

Of the benchmarks on their site:
Their BrowserMark score is ~10% higher than FF; the version of BrowserMark they used is unspecified but seems to no longer exist
There is no such thing as the "Fishbowl" benchmark
Firefox wins the V8 benchmark by ~13%
Waterfox is 0.5% slower than FF at SunSpider

You aren't seeing any benefit with WF because there isn't any. It's maybe faster at a certain synthetic benchmark, but its JavaScript performance is at best equal to FF.

It has the pretty big downside of not receiving security patches. The current version of WaterFox is 16.0.1, which is missing the 16.0.2 critical security patch. Plus any more recent security fixes.

Yeah, I should have mentioned I switched over back to regular ol' Firefox because of that security patch issue.

I just wish there was a version of Firefox that could handle using 2000+ MB of RAM. I hate restarting my browser :sigh:

fookolt
Mar 13, 2012

Where there is power
There is resistance

Bieeardo posted:

TMP doesn't seem to have anything like that, but I've been using Unloadtab for a while now and it seems to work properly.

This looks great; thanks!

fookolt
Mar 13, 2012

Where there is power
There is resistance

fivre posted:

My laptop install of Firefox 18 appears to be on its last legs. No longer does it only require a please-release-all-your-memory-leaks-restart after a fierce bout of opening 300 Wikipedia articles and several hundred more on saved tab groups. Now even running a cozy, 8-9 tabs causes it to become death, the shatterer of swapfile. Could be some idiot extension, most likely Tab Mix Plus because god knows that's black magic, or maybe it's just finally getting to the point where my going on six-year-old bargain bin even then laptop is finally reaching the end of its useful life.

Or, I could just raise the angry MOZILLA DOESNT CARE ABOUT LINUX PEOPLE banner. Every other broken Linux afterthought app does just fine on it. Never thought I'd see the day when Spotify Linux was causing fewer problems than Firefox Linux.

Try Tab Utilities instead of Tab Mix Plus?

fookolt
Mar 13, 2012

Where there is power
There is resistance
Is there an easy way to keep track of all my keyword search bookmarks?

fookolt
Mar 13, 2012

Where there is power
There is resistance
Is there a GreaseMonkey script or something that can make YouTube videos take up the whole width of the browser without popping the video out or going fullscreen?

Basically, it would make the "Large Player" size option in the YouTube player use the whole width of the browser instead of just 2/3's of it or whatever.

Never mind! This works: https://userscripts.org/scripts/show/164234

fookolt fucked around with this message at 06:40 on Apr 16, 2013

fookolt
Mar 13, 2012

Where there is power
There is resistance
Is there a way I can use separate Firefox profiles at the same time? I'd like to have my work gmail and my personal gmail open at the same time without having to use another browser.

fookolt
Mar 13, 2012

Where there is power
There is resistance
Thanks...And now, Firefox is doing this thing where anything I download immediately disappears. This is the strangest bug.

Hm, disabling Browser.download.manager.scanWhenDone in about:config fixed that.

fookolt fucked around with this message at 11:19 on May 20, 2013

fookolt
Mar 13, 2012

Where there is power
There is resistance

Skuto posted:

Set layout.css.devPixelsPerPx to 1.0 instead of -1.0 in about :config.

Or better, check if you didn't set page zoom different from the default. The fix makes pages display in what should normally be the right size. If you fiddled with this before, because old versions didn't do it right, it'll now blow out in the opposite direction.

Thank you; I thought I was going loving crazy.

Is there an update for Tab Utilities that makes it work on FF22? I miss it :(

Never mind, found it: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-us/firefox/addon/tab-utilities/reviews/

fookolt
Mar 13, 2012

Where there is power
There is resistance

fivre posted:

So I guess the reason Tab Utilities no longer works and isn't being updated is because the maintainer is dead.

Welp, back to Tab Mix Plus.

From http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic.php?f=48&t=1702465&start=2430 :

http://www.mediafire.com/?1nn780jhkuqh3xt

Granted, this will probably only be good until Firefox 23 :|

fookolt
Mar 13, 2012

Where there is power
There is resistance
I think this is a Firefox issue (I don't think I've seen it in Chrome but Chrome is also not my daily driver):

Sometimes when I click on a link, the page goes blank like it's loading it, but it never loads the page (or it takes forever). What fixes it is just hitting ctrl-R to refresh the page and then it loads instantly.

Any ideas?

Left Ventricle posted:

That box is checked. Should it not be?

EDIT: Yes, it should not be. Thanks so much!

You can also hit F7 to turn it on/off.

fookolt
Mar 13, 2012

Where there is power
There is resistance
Any idea why my Firefox ESR crashes on Windows 8.1 whenever I change resolution (due to a game launching or me turning on my connected HDTV)?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fookolt
Mar 13, 2012

Where there is power
There is resistance
Hey, that's happening to me as well for Firefox 24 ESR on Windows. A *whole* bunch of my add-ons were out of date.