Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ruflux
Jun 16, 2012

Is SALR actually going to be updated? The thread's disappeared into the archives and I swear I read something about it possibly not getting a new version.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ruflux
Jun 16, 2012

In a strange opposite reaction to this thread's overall consensus, the above discussion about them removing compact view for some reason made me discover there's something called touch view and I think I prefer it. Nice chunky touch targets for my wildly flailing mouse hand. Only think I dislike so far is the URL box also getting padded the gently caress up in the suggestions listing but it's not like I have to look at it all that often anyway.

Ruflux
Jun 16, 2012

So far this refresh seems to make things uglier (by a loving lot if you ask me, especially in the light theme) and the tabs in particular feel a lot more chunky for no reason. I gotta echo the above complaint too, why they hell did they remove the simple play icon/volume icon in lieu of a hover state text? The volume thing particularly bugs me because it's not really intuitively obvious that you click the favicon to mute the tab now. Almost like they're deliberately making that feature hard to find.

Ruflux
Jun 16, 2012

Ola posted:

The simple, universal play symbol is now replaced with the word PLAYING

Don't forget the all-important AUTOPLAY BLOCKED which is obviously so much better than the aforementioned play button.

Ruflux
Jun 16, 2012

slidebite posted:

What a bizarro time we live in

It actually makes sense since if you run Windows, you basically have to (to a degree) trust in Microsoft/assume they know everything you do on your computer anyway. Running Edge isn't really adding on to that, but using Chrome is since now you're giving the advertisement company unrestricted access to your browsing habits.

Not that they don't/can't track you anyway because lol Google but it's a nice thought.

Ruflux
Jun 16, 2012

WattsvilleBlues posted:

I don't use Workspace myself but it wouldn't surprise me if Google deliberately limit the performance in Firefox. They do something similar with YouTube for instance, for the sole purpose of being evil.

From my experience, YouTube works like a dream in Firefox and lags like poo poo under Chrome. Disabling hardware acceleration helps for some reason in the latter case. If this is intentional by Google then wow, talk about a massive backfire.

Ruflux
Jun 16, 2012

Anyone have the particular version of the SA videos userscript that adds controls and crucially also blocks videos from autoplaying? IIRC that particular one also has a default volume setting and mute by default, along with the usual video scaling options. I have it installed on my Firefox, on my desktop PC, that I'm currently far away from and as it turns out not only do userscripts not sync over the cloud, I also very specifically don't have that particular userscript saved anywhere, just other versions which just scale the video and add controls. Video-heavy threads become incredibly obnoxious on this laptop.

Ruflux
Jun 16, 2012

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

I think you're thinking of SA Video Helper.
EDIT: That one doesn't work apparently.

This is my attempt at making something which combines the features of several userscripts (namely "SA Video Helper", "Fix videos - somethingawful.com"):

---

If someone knows who made the original Fix Videos userscript, lemme know so I can credit them.

I googled "Fix videos - somethingawful.com" since the name rang a bell and it turns out it's included in the schadenfreude thread's OP. This is the post that's linked, dunno if said goon is the original author though. I believe this is the one I have/had so it's a good thing you mentioned the name since otherwise I would've never thought to look for it in GBS megathread OPs. Funnily enough it apparently doesn't scale videos by default which makes me wonder if I confused it with the other one or had modified it or something. Either way, problem solved, thanks a bunch!

Ruflux
Jun 16, 2012

I used to care about the menu bar until I admitted the hamburger menu's actually a pretty good design of all the actually used options in one single easy-to-access list. Same with the extensions button, I don't really need to see uBlock or Privacy Badger's icons 24/7 since I rarely need to gently caress with them. I still hit alt to access the previously closed session from the bookmarks menu though since idk, somehow it's more logical than using the hamburger menu for it. But then again I'm a sick twisted freak who uses touch density on desktop while also hiding the bookmarks bar outside of new tab so what do I know, I'm all sorts of hosed up anyway :twisted:

Ruflux
Jun 16, 2012

Harik posted:

Sucks that you can't search the internet anymore because I can't find my favorite hosed-up firefox dev quote about how they can remove flash now that google isn't using it to serve ads anymore. Just a galaxy-brain understanding of who uses firefox and why.

Removing Flash was doing a service to humanity and if you disagree you clearly live on some alternate Earth where it wasn't a pile of poo poo that should never have propagated.

Ruflux
Jun 16, 2012

Harik posted:

You also missed the point: despite it being a massive security problem mozilla kept flash around so google could serve ads with it. That's the level of brain damage we're dealing with.

So? They kept it around for as long as it was supported by Adobe themselves and also while Google, a major sponsor and their fiercest competitor, was still finding some use for it. That's not stupid. That's having something resembling a business acumen, which is basically what you need to survive in the modern internet environment as a non-profit. Mozilla keeps being stupid, but it was not particularly stupid on Flash. Flash was a pile of poo poo from day one, people making cool stuff with it doesn't change that. Apple was right to never allow it to fester on iOS because it made killing it that much easier.

Ruflux
Jun 16, 2012

Chrome had paperflash or whatever, didn't they? I used Chrome for a brief while in the 10s when Firefox was being exceptionally annoying and I recall not needing a plugin for Flash which was mindblowing at the time, even though I was well aware it was stupid since Flash is pretty terrible. YouTube's opt-in HTML5 player was so bad it made Flash look fantastic in the early days though.

Ruflux
Jun 16, 2012

:confused: I have enhanced tracking protection on and have had it since forever and embedded tweets work just fine ("fine", they're slow garbage and I hate them). I have no clue why people say that combo doesn't work.

Ruflux
Jun 16, 2012

I updated my uBlock lists without touching anything else or doing some special song and dance beyond purging the cache and then updating yesterday after getting the popup and YouTube's mostly* worked fine since :shrug:

*the dislike count is gone again despite my extension but I assume it's not entirely unrelated to Google being a bunch of stupid morons

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ruflux
Jun 16, 2012

Nalin posted:

Keep in mind that other extensions you have installed may also interfere with uBlock and YouTube. For example, apparently the MalwareBytes Browser Guard extension can interfere and cause YouTube to detect an ad blocker.

This raises an important question of why the gently caress would you run a literal MITM extension in your browser?