Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

Blue Footed Booby posted:

more importantly can un-close tabs by middle clicking the tab bar or new tab button. That feature will have to be pried from my cold, dead hands.

ctrl (CMD on a Mac) + shift + T in Chrome

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

Boris Galerkin posted:

I'm just curious what's so bad about Firefox now?

I personally stopped using it because I can't get font rendering to not look like poo poo compared to Chrome on Windows 10

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

Truga posted:

the entire point of all these changes is to "attract a larger userbase" because chrome does it that way and they have all the users now so that must be the reason right

I feel like every sensible person knows that the average user isn't going to switch from Chrome unless something drastic happens. It's better to go after the power users that have positive connotations with FF

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

astral posted:

Something drastic, like a pop-up ad to switch on one of their favorite sites.

or something like the biggest search engine, mail provider, and video platform in the world being made for and by the same company

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

Kheldarn posted:

On Flamingo, I get notifications, and I don't have the official Twitter app installed, so I wonder if they removed that restriction, or if Sam Ruston found a way around it…

Frankly, the only thing that they locked down that I don't like is Polls can't be seen by 3rd Party Clients.

Isn't Flamingo dead?

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

Klyith posted:

Shittily. Ublock isn't on iOS, the best you can get is Adblock and IIRC it's a crappy version with no user-defined rules.

The best you can get is Adblock? There's a bunch of great ones.
1Blocker which is fantastic and absolutely has user-defined rules and there's Wipr that's set it and forget.
Adblock is probably among the worse content blockers on iOS.

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller
I use a custom new tab page provided by an add-on and I'd like to use it for when I open new windows too.

Is there a way to do this? The setting for homepage and new windows doesn't show my add-on as an option.

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

Echophonic posted:

I just tried this with Tabliss and it was just a matter of hitting 'send page link' from the context menu to get the URL, then setting it to the homepage. Might work for Newt, too.

That seems to have worked. Thanks!

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller
For some reason I always get Waterfox and Pale Moon mixed up

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller
I'm trying out Firefox again and I'm wondering if there's a way to disable form history without also disabling search history?

They're tied together in settings.

and I absolutely hate form history but find search history pretty essential.

Feels dumb to say but this is pretty make or break for me.

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

Hargrimm posted:

How would Firefox know whether a text box in a form is a search box rather than anything else?

I'm talking about searching using the url bar vs any field on a website.

I want search history in the url bar. I don't want those annoying dropdowns when you click on a field on a website

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller
drat. I really like the idea of the JS isolation thing.

Is it likely to be something that ever gets fixed with the embeds or is it just a function of how they're loaded that will never play nice with that?

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

Klyith posted:

I would guess that it could be improved on firefox's end

Here's hoping

Klyith posted:

I think a fair amount of blame can be laid on the fact that twitter loads like 10 MB of javascript and garbage to show a 140 character message. If the way site isolation works is that each embedded tweet gets its own process to run all that garbage, than it is doomed to suck forever on the average cspam page with 100 tweets.

Yeah I had to work on showing in Twitter embeds within my companies iOS app and it took so long just to make them function correctly and they still load like poo poo

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

Geemer posted:

What is this extension called?

Not them but I use Better Twitter which is great and open source. I would go through all the preferences though cause I dislike some of the defaults

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

Bobstar posted:

Semi-related, you know when you're on a site and you move the cursor towards the tab bar to navigate away, and the site detects that and pops up a thing saying "wait don't go!" ? Anyone know of a way to disable that behaviour? I tried googling but the results were all about how to add that to your site :rolleyes:

I've never seen that in my life

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

actionjackson posted:

is there anything available to hide specific domains from DDG search results? I had previously used this but it doesn't work anymore, and is no longer supported

https://github.com/pistom/ddghur

I really just don't want to see amazon results for every single goddamn product

edit: whoops my bad, apparently the same person made a new one. seems to work!

https://github.com/pistom/hohser

Can't blame you for not finding it initially. Weird that they wouldn't link to their new project in the readme

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller
uBlock Origin with these lists + NextDNS with Hagezi Multi NORMAL. Hardly ever a breakage or need to turn blocking off. Never any ads

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

Qtotonibudinibudet posted:

twitch switched to cutting ads into the main video stream a while back, making DNS blocks impossible. afaik youtube still uses separate ad servers

twitch also added aggressive adblocker detection to deal with the fancier scripts that could determine when there was an ad by inspecting the video manifest

https://github.com/cleanlock/VideoAdBlockForTwitch works for me for Twitch

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller
uMatrix has been EOL for a while, right?

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

karoshi posted:

Is it me or is 113 using less memory and smoother overall?

Curious if this is like every time iOS updates and people think 'Safari seems snappier', or if it's a real thing

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller
Extremely happy with Kagi. Been the first Google replacement where I pretty much never have to fall back.

Understand most people don't want to pay for search though

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

WattsvilleBlues posted:

I have uBlock Origin installed with all the default settings and it doesn't block YouTube ads though. Am I missing a setting?

Pretty sure it worked by default for me, but I can recommend trying the Enhanced or Pro recommendations here

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller
If you do decide to just go nuclear, I use this to purge my YouTube of shorts

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

Nitrousoxide posted:

This sort of does it, but then you have the row of tabs at top still so it's a ton of wasted space.

Can someone explain to me the value of vertical tabs? I've been seeing like 5 different browsers try to implement it and it seems awful. It uses up like 1/5 of the screen real estate to show you all the pages you don't have open.

If you have lots of tabs, it's much more usable. You can actually read the titles and see a lot more at once (I know you can increase the max width, but it's still not great) without losing track.

Arc has by far the best implementation of this, tab groups, and pinned tabs I've seen (not to mention PiP and folders). I just wish it had proper bookmarks.

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

Bertha the Toaster posted:

I've said it before but I hate how they've made it so that if you press the address bar and then click one of the favourites or frequently used sites it opens a new tab rather than using the current tab, so you end up with a million tabs unless you go back and close them all. The fact that doing the same thing but typing in an address, even one that's saved doesn't do the same thing is just confusing.

I'm out right now so I can't find it but I'm pretty sure there's an about :config for that

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

Bertha the Toaster posted:

Not on Android there isn't, the homepage isn't a real page or something, people have been complaining about it since they released it.

Ah, sorry. Missed that context

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

Klyith posted:

Uh, what do you think Ublock is?

Extensions that block content work by MITM'ing everything your browser loads, whether malware or ads (lol same difference amiright)

They're not exactly equivalent.

uBlock Origin is open source and Raymond Hill has proven himself by this point, I think.
Sold the original uBlock to AdBlock, they were lovely owners and started adding 'acceptable' ads, so he came back. Guy even refuses donations.

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

doctorfrog posted:

Is there a way to keep all videos, like every single one, no matter what, from automatically playing in Firefox?

e: I should be clear, I have "Block Audio and Video" set as the default, which mostly doesn't appear to do anything.

Are you on macOS?

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller
BetterFox is a great starting point for user.js stuff.

No breakage compared to arkenfox/Librewolf where I had quite a few issues.

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

Blue Footed Booby posted:

What's wrong with librewolf? I haven't used it.

You can configure it but the defaults are super extreme.

Out of the box it basically resets itself every time you close it. No cookies or passwords or history kept whatsoever

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

PirateBob posted:

Any serious :filez: site blocks VPNs though.

I don’t think I’ve ever experienced this. Why would they care? If a site is blocked by my ISP then I have no choice but to use a VPN to access.