Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gourdcaptain
Nov 16, 2012

I'll switch from main Firefox on Android to Preview as soon as it supports Dark Reader, I kinda need it to minimize my eye strain issues.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gourdcaptain
Nov 16, 2012

Flipperwaldt posted:

It can be a bit clunky and it will break sometimes if youtube changes something. I actually recommend installing the F-Droid open source app store and installing NewPipe through that, because you will get update notifications for it.

I'll tolerate a lot of crap not to watch video ads.

The app'll also generate its own update notifications if you download the app directly from them.

gourdcaptain
Nov 16, 2012

Fashionable Jorts posted:

Ahh. I guess that's cool for those who want it, I still want to be logged in and get recommendations and like videos. But I also want to be able to turn my phone's screen off and listen to music

You can do what I do a lot of the time and use the YouTube app on occasion to find stuff, and then use the share button to punt it over to NewPipe's background player. Slightly awkward, but useful when NewPipe's interface based around unofficial access can be a bit differently clunky at times.

gourdcaptain
Nov 16, 2012

NihilCredo posted:

Isn't Mullvad one of if not the best VPN provider from the point of view of privacy?

Like, they're the guys whose entire sign-up process is 'here's a random number, send us some money tagged with that number (an anonymous envelope full of cash is fine) and we'll enable that account until the credit runs out'.

That's... a surprisingly good choice by Mozilla if so.

On top of that, they're a really good performance VPN compared to the other ones I've tried. Also the only one who's Linux client both had a good graphical interface option and isn't hilariously broken and badly maintained.

gourdcaptain
Nov 16, 2012

doctorfrog posted:

Is there a way to keep all videos, like every single one, no matter what, from automatically playing in Firefox?

e: I should be clear, I have "Block Audio and Video" set as the default, which mostly doesn't appear to do anything.

Go into about :config and set media.autoplay.blocking_policy to 2. This does wonders in my experience, albeit Mozilla notes it may break some sites.