Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Niel
Mar 5, 2013
Um, I'm having a bit of a problem with Firefox. For some reason, the default search engine switched from Google to Norton SafeSearch. I tried googling for a solution, but none of them work. I've tried:

-Resetting Firefox. Didn't change anything.
-Uninstalling Norton Toolbar--well, I searched for it and I'm fairly sure I never installed it in the first place.
-Altering program.URL. I see in about.config that I have keyword.enabled but not keyword.URL for some reason?

...Help?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Niel
Mar 5, 2013

Dice Dice Baby posted:

Some questions:
  • Check about :config for "norton". Did it change entries related to the default search? (browser.search.defaultenginename is usually set to "Google", you can right-click and reset it)
  • If you press Ctrl+Shift+A (or about :addons) is there a norton Extension or, more likely, plugin?
  • If so, check Firefox's installation directory (usually Mozilla Firefox in Program Files) for a folder called plugins. Is there a norton plugin there?

browser.search.defaultenginename was already set to Google, but for some reason resetting it I think seems to have fixed it. Thank you!

(Also I checked and I didn't have a Norton extension/plugin. Thank God.)