Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
I don't really see 57 outdoing Chrome on RAM usage. 8 tabs on the same sites on both browsers and task manager is showing Chrome with lower (admitting only 100mb) RAM usage. Maybe it scales out better, but beyond my usual us case.

Since Mozilla was also boasting about the improvements over 52 in Speedometer 2.0 I ran them through that and Firefox 57 scored 54 per minute and Chrome 61 per minute.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

Does Firefox not have a global zoom option in it's settings or am I just blind?

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

Any reason I can't see Tweets linked in threads on SA when using FireFox?

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

fishmech posted:

You may have tracking protection blocking it now.

That was it. Thanks.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

Im_Special posted:

Firefox is losing this battle because the only time it's the default browser is on random Linux distros, which is the same class of tech savvy users that they've had from the start. Meanwhile, not only is Chrome the default browser on most Android devices, they also bundle Chrome as crapware in just about every dodgy Windows installer possible, so people that just click 'ok' when installing something without actually reading will end up installing it by accident one way or another.

I think that the term "nice guys finish last" can apply to Firefox here as far the browser wars go. Google owns an entire OS that is used on basically every smart phone that isn't Apple and they get to make their browser the default one. They also ship Chrome as crapware so a lot of people get tricked into using it. And Microsoft owns the most widely used desktop OS in the world and they get to make their browser the default one there. Firefox is 100% optional, Chrome and Edge are defaults that are forced onto people. As more and more people that don't really know their asses from their elbows when it comes to tech own smart phones and laptops, the bigger the numbers will get for Chrome and Edge.

I would like to know if Firefox is actually losing users or if they're just not gaining as many new users as Chrome.

Hilariously Firefox is doing much better than Edge on desktops despite Microsoft's monopoly of desktop OS.

I think it's your second thought. That Chrome is gaining more users faster than the other browsers are than people switching over. Chrome is simply a juggernaut like Internet Explorer was and it's harder to break through on mobile than it was on desktop.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

Losing all add-ons sucks, but ain't so bad for me on desktop.

It is super loving painful to lose uBlock Origin on mobile through. I'd forgotten how bad mobile ads were.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

MohShuvuu posted:

What Gmail extension is the best to use? I've been using Checker Plus, but some recent update made it unable to load my inbox in a new tab when I want to see the full email.

I use Gmail Notifier. Although looking between the two it looks like Checker Plus can open a separate window for gmail. Notifier will open a new tab.

Edit: I misunderstood the screenshot I was looking at. Pretty sure they both do the same thing now.

OhFunny fucked around with this message at 15:34 on Aug 5, 2019

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

Fangs404 posted:

That was my question as well. Notifications are built into Gmail.

Really? Never got one until I installed an addon.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

FireFox 73 has added global page zoom. loving finally. It's absence has been my biggest irritation.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Does that do something beyond what ctrl-up does?

I'm not sure what you're referring to. Control + page up changes tabs and control + arrow up just scrolls the screen.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Newest Firefox Preview on Android now includes uBlock Origin, making the browser usable. Huzzah.

I see you can move the toolbar to the top now. That's good. I disliked it being always visible at the bottom instead of hiding itself when scrolling when at the top position.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

Firefox Beta on Android has been transitioned to Firefox Preview. Still separate names and apps, but the same now.

Lost some add-ons which sucks.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

I too am here to complain about tabs.

The new Firefox for Android tabs are a huge downgrade. Who thought it was a good idea to make an additional tab button necessary for opening a new tab and to place it at the furthest possible point on the screen from the first?

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

https://twitter.com/SteveALee/status/1293487542382333952?s=20

MDN team is gone too.

Insanite posted:

I'd imagine that a default search engine deal with an advertising company during a global economic crisis doesn't pay what it used to.

Now that's an understatement after reading this:

https://www.zdnet.com/article/mozilla-lays-off-250-employees-while-it-refocuses-on-commercial-products/

quote:

Furthermore, Mozilla's contract with Google to include Google as the default search provider inside Firefox is set to expire later this year, and the contract has not been renewed. The Google deal has historically accounted for around 90% of all of Mozilla's revenue, and without it experts see a dim future for Mozilla past 2021.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

I'll also recommend 1Blocker for iOS.

I remember Bear Blocker being good as well.

Does only Firefox support add-ons in it's Android app? I know Chrome doesn't. I've unfamiliar with the other browsers.