Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Applebees
Jul 23, 2013

yospos

Avenging Dentist posted:

As I mentioned above, "Firefox picks the currently-selected search instead of the default search engine because third parties kept changing users' default engine." It was causing a lot of confusion for people.

If the currently selected engine is not the same thing as the default engine, how do you change the default engine? Does the default engine actually do anything?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Applebees
Jul 23, 2013

yospos

dpbjinc posted:

Actually, Adobe makes the Flash specification available now, but it's still proprietary. Link

Implementing it in JS is interesting, but I don't think there have been any legal cases brought up about it yet, so you'd be entering a legal gray area by doing that.

Your link says, "The SWF file format is available as an open specification to create products and technology that implement the specification." Adobe gives permission to software to create and play SWF. Shumway is a Mozilla project that implements SWF in HTML5.

Applebees
Jul 23, 2013

yospos

Aleph Null posted:

I realized the only thing I cared about is calling advertisers or trackers. Is there a simple add-on that covers just that? Just something to block contacting 3rd party advertisers or tracking sites.

I use DoNotTrackMe as well as the the EasyPrivacy filter for Adblock Plus. Disconnect is similar, but I found it didn't cover as much. I learned about them at https://fixtracking.com.

Applebees
Jul 23, 2013

yospos

It doesn't seem intrusive at all to me. It would only affect people who use the new tab page and then only if they start a new profile. It doesn't seem like it would affect anyone who has been using Firefox for over a week.

Applebees
Jul 23, 2013

yospos

astral posted:

Yeah, let's turn off new users who might be considering the switch to Firefox by immediately showing them ads. Great idea, Mozilla team.

Safari did the same thing last time I used it. If you started it with a new profile, it had the tiles prepopulated instead of showing them blank. Some were Apple sites, some were popular third-party sites, and I assume some were sponsored.

Applebees
Jul 23, 2013

yospos

Pilsner posted:

Focus the search box: Ctrl+E or Ctrl+K
Focus the address bar: Alt+D

On Ubuntu, both Ctrl+J and Ctrl+K focus the search box, and Ctrl+L focuses the address bar.

Applebees
Jul 23, 2013

yospos

Delusibeta posted:

They were supposed to be implementing "suggested websites" for when you launch a new tab in the Speed Dial rip-off menu and haven't built up a roster of 9 recently used sites yet. I dunno if they killed that off due to the inevitable backlash it will ensue, but in your case it shouldn't affect you.

Here is a blog post about it. It's just in the initial stages. There is no time line for its release.

Applebees
Jul 23, 2013

yospos

RightToClick might help if you don't want to use a Greasemonkey script.

Applebees
Jul 23, 2013

yospos

What was the controversy?

Applebees
Jul 23, 2013

yospos

Install Windows posted:

Also he never even like, bothered to give a real apology for that and vow to not do such stupid poo poo again.

Here's his comments on the topic.

Applebees
Jul 23, 2013

yospos

hooah posted:

Speaking of search engines, how do you add a keyword now (34.0)?

You can't do it with the new interface right now. https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1106559

Applebees
Jul 23, 2013

yospos

Rahu posted:

Speaking of flashblock, is there any way to make flash click to play without it? I have plugins.click_to_play set to true in about:config, but that setting only seems to apply to everything except flash.

Go to Add-ons, then Plugins, and then change the drop-down menu beside Flash to Ask to Activate.

Applebees fucked around with this message at 02:21 on Jan 12, 2015

Applebees
Jul 23, 2013

yospos

Mister Kingdom posted:

I don't know if this is a Firefox 35.0 thing or a SALR thing, but here goes.

See the popup box when I hover over the forum name? If I try to click on any of the choices, the box disappears. Otherwise, everything is fine.

It's a problem with the site. People are posting about it in QCS.

Applebees
Jul 23, 2013

yospos

hooah posted:

Firefox is blocking it; I get the banner if I go to the YouTube site, and if I click on an embedded link in the forums, the rectangle is replaced by the larger version of the warning. My Flash version is 16.0.0.296.

That's outdated. The latest version for Windows Firefox is 16.0.0.305.

Applebees
Jul 23, 2013

yospos

Baram posted:

is there a way to get rid of ugly firefox button/header there and scale down all that dead space?

I'm guessing that you have Classic Theme Restorer installed.

Applebees
Jul 23, 2013

yospos

Grim Up North posted:

I like Mozilla. I used to use Pocket. (I've switched away from it because they don't support my Kindle). But I hope that they get a poo poo-ton of money for integrating a non-libre app.

According to this PCWorld article, Mozilla isn't getting any money from the integration.

quote:

A home-grown Reading List feature for Firefox is still under development, Chad Weiner, Mozilla's director of project management, said in an email. The browser maker chose to directly integrate Pocket so more users could take advantage of it. There's no monetary benefit to Mozilla from the integration: Pocket didn't pay for placement in the browser.

Applebees
Jul 23, 2013

yospos

Geemer posted:

They just blanket-signed all the old already-reviewed addons blindly.

How many addons do you have that received a signed update after this bullshit started? Because I'm sitting at a big fat 0 out of 3 on that.
Classic Theme Restorer (25th of June), Tab Mix Plus (25th of June) and Greasemonkey (29th of May) got updated since then and the update that was pushed was just the unsigned version because Mozilla can't get its poo poo in order.

All AMO add-ons that have at least been preliminarily reviewed have already been signed. Classic Theme Restorer, Tab Mix Plus, and Greasemonkey were all automatically signed when the new versions were published.

Mozilla used the "-signed" suffix only to bump the version number so that users would update to the new signed version without developers having to do anything. If a developer submits a new version, it will be signed when it is published, and it won't have the "-signed" suffix.

Applebees
Jul 23, 2013

yospos

WattsvilleBlues posted:

I hope they sout out e10s ASAP, Firefox's UI responsiveness is woeful compared with IE, Chrome and Edge (in Windows 10). That said, I wonder which, if any, of these extensions would be affected:

Click to Play per-element
Context Search
FindBar Tweak
FireGestures
LastPass
Restartless Restart
uBlock
Undo Closed Tabs Button
WOT

Those are the ones I've been using for years (Adblock Plus instead of uBlock until recently of course). If Firefox was as responsive as the other browsers and I could keep those extensions, I'd be

You can see the e10s status of a bunch of add-ons at http://arewee10syet.com/. Web of Trust has bugs reported about it, but uBlock seems compatible.

Applebees
Jul 23, 2013

yospos

dud root posted:

Whats e10? I tried a brief search but got ethanol petrols

Electrolysis

Applebees
Jul 23, 2013

yospos

BaseballPCHiker posted:

Does enabling tracking protection and running Disconnect offer any additional protection? If I'm reading correctly tracking protection is just Disconnect embedded within Firefox or it was based off of Disconnect?

Probably running both is redundant. Firefox will block the network requests before Disconnect gets to see them. Firefox has its own implementation and blocklist, but the initial blocklist used by Tracking Protection is based on Disconnect's blocklist.

Applebees
Jul 23, 2013

yospos

Fangs404 posted:

Ok, found my first thing that doesn't work in 64-bit FF - BF4's Battlelog. The browser plugin is 32-bit only. Not sure if they're working on a 64-bit version.

Flash is the only plugin that 64-bit Firefox allows. It's part of their deprecation strategy for all plugins.

Applebees
Jul 23, 2013

yospos

GreenBuckanneer posted:

I am bummed my work is thinking about dropping firefox support simply because firefox wants to drop silverlight, flash, etc. That should be their sign to get with the times, not double down.

If you need to support Silverlight, your only option is Internet Explorer 11, which is why Microsoft kept it around for compatibility after making Edge the default browser. Edge doesn't support plugins, Chrome dropped support for NPAPI plugins, and Firefox has deprecated them.

mike12345 posted:

So will Firefox eventually update to the 64 bit version? Or do I have to look for an alternate download link at some point, if I want to make the switch.

I doubt Firefox will ever automatically upgrade from 32-bit to 64-bit. It's definitely not the plan right now.

They are also not putting the 64-bit download link on the website, because they don't think it's quite ready for a wide audience. Mostly due to Flash issues.

Applebees
Jul 23, 2013

yospos

Nintendo Kid posted:

Uh, what Flash issues? Flash has worked perfectly fine in 64 bit Firefox builds for years at this point. You sure you're not thinking of Java, which they removed support for?

https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1185532 and the bugs it depends on.

Applebees
Jul 23, 2013

yospos

Sir Unimaginative posted:

Hm.

So if Cisco's H.264 seems to work, and Adobe Flash seems to work, and Adobe EME seems to work, then it seems unlikely that any of those can be the reason Mozilla would stabilize and release Firefox Win64 and then pretend it doesn't exist.

There are problems with Flash on 64-bit such as https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1180684 and https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1201904

They are blocking the bug I linked before, which is why I linked it.

Applebees
Jul 23, 2013

yospos

Bieeardo posted:

If there is one, they'll probably kill support for whatever functionality it relies on. I thought they said they were going to break it out into an addon themselves, but it's very possible I'm misremembering.

The plan was to convert it into an addon when they were going to remove it in 2013 in this bug but not now.

For alternatives, you can try looking at Tree Style Tab, Pale Moon Tab Groups, or Tab Groups at GitHub.

The removal patches haven't landed yet, so I'd start looking closer to the release of Firefox 45.0.

Applebees
Jul 23, 2013

yospos

Desuwa posted:

Well gently caress. What addons can replace tab groups acceptably?

Another add-on I saw recommended is TooManyTabs. It hasn't been updated in a few months though, so you'll have to keep an eye on it as more changes land.

Applebees
Jul 23, 2013

yospos

Avenging Dentist posted:

Mozilla makes more money from Yahoo than they did from Google: http://www.theregister.co.uk/2015/1...oii_dependency/

That article is about Mozilla's 2014 annual report, so it doesn't include their new search engine deals. We won't know how much money they made until they release their 2015 report.

I read that the combined funding from their new deals with Yahoo, Baidu, and Yandex is about the same as the funding they were previously receiving form Google.

Applebees
Jul 23, 2013

yospos

Kheldarn posted:

Firefox still crashing because it can, though not quite as frequently. If I've had it closed for a length of time (while I'm eating dinner, or after going to bed, going to work the next day, then coming home), it will crash shortly after I open it, and then it's good for a bit. I have it send a report every time it crashes.

Go to about :crashes, and link some of the crash reports here. It could provide an idea of whether it's a plugin issue or something already known.

Applebees
Jul 23, 2013

yospos

hooah posted:

I would like to go directly to https://www.facebook.com/?sk=h_chr (the chronological feed) when I start typing facebook in the address bar. I've selected facebook.com and deleted everything that wasn't the desired URL or the mobile version and removed everything from my history, but still, as soon as I get to "fa", Firefox helpfully suggests facebook.com. I've made sure to turn off search suggestions and restarted Firefox. Is there anything else I can do?

You can type "* facebook" to only show suggestions from your bookmarks.

Applebees
Jul 23, 2013

yospos

hooah posted:

How real-life dangerous is this vulnerability due to the way Firefox's extensions aren't sandboxed (Ars article) for people who don't just install every add-on they find?

Extensions are executable code so you should only install ones that you trust from a trusted source. The technique in the article is really just obfuscation that might make it easier to fool reviewers. The proof of concept that got signed was just an extension that opened a website, so it doesn't seem that scary.

Applebees
Jul 23, 2013

yospos

Gerudo Rivera posted:

According to this, the recursion issue that was keeping Vines from playing was fixed in a nightly build on 3/19 https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1247496

Any idea when we might expect this fix in a public release? Because it's still busted for me in x64 45.0.1 :\

The issue was fixed in https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1257234

It should be fixed in Firefox 46. You can look under Tracking Flags where it says "status-firefox46: fixed". It was uplifted to Beta in comment 25.

Applebees
Jul 23, 2013

yospos

RZApublican posted:

So I may have messed up a while ago and deleted my Firefox DRM plugin. Is there a way to get it back? Google isn't showing me any downloads, just ways to uninstall it. I'm currently using Firefox 47, if this helps, but it was already uninstalled at least when I was using Firefox 45.

edit: Although this may not actually be important, as I can't seem to figure out if Widevine CDM is actually installed or not. Is there a way to check if it is? Because if it is, I don't need the old DRM plugin.

Try unchecking "Play DRM content" in the Content panel. It should delete any downloaded CDMs. Maybe restart the browser, and then check "Play DRM content" again. The Adobe and Google CDMs should download automatically.

Applebees
Jul 23, 2013

yospos

Gorilla Salad posted:

Right, it's from Tab Mix Plus.

I'm using 47.0 and don't have Tab Mix Plus, but Reload All Tabs is still there.

Applebees
Jul 23, 2013

yospos

Boris Galerkin posted:

I read somewhere though that the html5 version on Firefox supports only up to 720p video so I've just been using Edge for Netflix because it supports 1080p. Now if I can just figure out a way to change the Edge shortcut to "Netflix" so that I can just hit Windows + Netf to open it up then that would be great. I mean it's probably something trivial but I just haven't bothered.

(I know there's a Netflix Windows App as well but that requires a Windows/Microsoft Account and no gently caress I'm not going to register one.)

Netflix has agreements with producers that mean only systems that use Microsoft's or Apple's DRM schemes can get 1080p. Chrome and Opera with Google Widevine get 720p. Firefox with Adobe Primetime or Google Widevine gets 720p.

Applebees
Jul 23, 2013

yospos

-Troika- posted:

I've got a wierd thing going on lately where youtube vids don't autoplay until I actually click play, and youtube in general is just buggy and annoying. Any common things to check for this?

Check if media.autoplay.enabled is set to false in about :config.

Applebees
Jul 23, 2013

yospos

spit on my clit posted:

What the hell? I'm watching twitch and suddenly an ad starts playing - I have Ublock Origin.

Could be this:

https://blog.twitch.tv/introducing-...tch-3ca5ce3287c

Applebees
Jul 23, 2013

yospos

Pryor on Fire posted:

Trying to eliminate Google from my life, is there no equivalent for ublock origin websockets in FF? Guessing that's the ad you're seeing but I just happened to be looking for that.

The workaround for WebSocket ads is only necessary on Chrome. As far as I know, Firefox was able to block connections initiated via WebSockets since the very start.

Applebees
Jul 23, 2013

yospos

BoyBlunder posted:

Is there a spreadsheet where I can get a list of WebExtension alternatives or something? I've got about 5 addons I'm going to need to replace:

TinyTinyRSS Ping
SALR
Imagus
HTTPS Everywhere
Decentraleyes

If anyone has alternatives, I'm all ears, too.

Decentraleyes has a version in the development channel that supports Firefox 57, so you won't have to replace that one.

Applebees
Jul 23, 2013

yospos

Dead Goon posted:

I thought I might install uMatrix but the add-on page thinks I have Firefox 52 installed and won't let me. Help > About Firefox tells me I have 57.0 (64-bit) installed.

If you have the resist fingerprinting config option enabled, it reports the version as 52 to websites. You should still be able to install the extension if you download it first, or you could disable the config temporarily.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Applebees
Jul 23, 2013

yospos

Zero VGS posted:

At first on Windows the browser was taking up 100% CPU for hours on end until I found out I had to disable the "Prevent accessibility services" checkbox in Firefox privacy settings, which fixed everything... weird.

That means some external program you have was trying to hook into the browser and do dumb things. Could be antivirus.