Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Peggotty
May 9, 2014

GIFV is an extension imgur uses for MP4 videos. Using videos instead of gifs saves like 90% of space, but since people for some inexplicable reason prefer lovely hosed up image versions of videos, they needed abn extension that says "don't worry, this is really similar to those gif files you love."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Peggotty
May 9, 2014

In the coming weeks? So both Netflix and Amazon Prime will use HTML5 only soon™?

Peggotty
May 9, 2014

Person who does not hate homosexual and/or black people but still writes comments on the internet

Peggotty
May 9, 2014

Boris Galerkin posted:

I read somewhere though that the html5 version on Firefox supports only up to 720p video so I've just been using Edge for Netflix because it supports 1080p. Now if I can just figure out a way to change the Edge shortcut to "Netflix" so that I can just hit Windows + Netf to open it up then that would be great. I mean it's probably something trivial but I just haven't bothered.

Internet Explorer has a "add this website to task bar" thing in its menu that I use for my Netflix shortcut, does Edge not have that?

Peggotty
May 9, 2014

The smilies page used to stop my entire browser for 10+ seconds, but I just found out that it's HTTPS Everywhere's fault. :iiam:

Peggotty
May 9, 2014

I also have YTC via Greasemonkey and 1080p works fine :shrug:
Do you use the developer version? Everything else is kind of dead.

Peggotty
May 9, 2014

Sure.
https://pastebin.com/hKCJLjEu

Peggotty
May 9, 2014

I'm not sure if this is the right thread, but is there a way I can make the forums less wide in a full screen firefox window? I'd like to use my browser in full screen but SA becomes unreadably wide whereas most other fluid width (or whatever it's called) have some sort of limit to how wide a text can be.

Peggotty
May 9, 2014

astral posted:

Stylus extension + a user stylesheet that applies to sa and sets #container or #content to whatever px max-width you're happy with.

Perfect, thanks! It's been a long time since I fiddled with user stylesheets.

Peggotty
May 9, 2014

wooger posted:

Firefox on iOS is broadly fine, and useful to have for desktop sync & access to Firefox saved passwords, but is ultimately unusable: there’s no Adblock.

iOS implements a slightly poo poo Adblock via content blockers, but they only take effect in Safari - no way I’m using anything else.

Yeah. It's annoying as gently caress, I probably won't buy another iPhone.

Peggotty
May 9, 2014

quote:

We want to make sure that we design defaults that suit most users and we'll be retiring the compact mode for this reason.

That sentence makes absolutely no sense.

And, almost as worse:

quote:

The "Compact" density is a feature of the "Customize toolbar" view which is currently fairly hard to discover, and we assume gets low engagement.

and:

quote:

For clarity we retain the "Touch" density for accessibility reasons on touch devices.

The Touch density is at the exact same "fairly hard to discover" location. I have no idea who wrote this but I know hate that guy.

Peggotty
May 9, 2014

Is there a way to access my Firefox bookmarks without being logged in to sync? Specifically I can't login on my work computer, but I'd still like to share links to/from my personal Firefox account. Is that possible?

Peggotty
May 9, 2014

Thanks. Yeah that would be possible (both an extension and a USB stick) but it creates a second layer of synchronisation on top of Firefox Sync which I'd like to avoid. What I was hoping for was some kind of web access to my existing Firefox profile, something like a web version of the old iOS firefox App from before Apple allowed 3rd party browsers, but I guess that doesn't exist. I guess pinboard or raindrop.io would be the least intrusive solution.

Peggotty
May 9, 2014

Atopian posted:

It's... interesting to see google decide to go up against the entire adblocking internet like this.

They pay for design and coding time from a few people, their collective enemy has a vast quantity of person-hours available for free.

Not difficult to see how it's going to go in the end.

Google is one of the biggest companies on earth and they make pretty much all of their money with ads, so this is part of their most important battle.

Peggotty
May 9, 2014

No. More than 80% of Alphabets revenue is from ads.

Peggotty
May 9, 2014

Yes, obviously. The point is that they make most of their money with ads, that's why fighting ad blocking is important to them. "They make money selling data" is not a counter-argument to that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Peggotty
May 9, 2014

doctorfrog posted:

is there an about :config entry to keep websites from changing the browser's scrollbars? YouTube now has these thin little scrollbars, and I hate 'em.

layout.css.scrollbar-width.enabled