Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

So I just got onto Quantum and I love everything but I have one major issue: it doesn't detect my webcam, which I use to keep in contact with people on FB.

I am going insane trying to get it to work. I've given permissions, revoked them, gave them again, safe mode, reset Firefox, uninstall firefox, got rid of all the appdata stuff, reinstalled, reinstalled again on beta branch, nothing seems to work. It just tells me that I haven't given it permission (even though it's definitely marked on all relevant pages).

Anything else I can do? Is there an even more resetter reset available?

Right now the only solution I have is to open another browser just for webcam purposes.

EDIT: Using a Logitech C922, if that matters. Reinstalled whatever I got for that too, still nothing.

Also, what infuriates me is that this problem only applies to the Firefox on my main comp. The desktop in the family house and the laptop can access the webcam no problem. Aaaaa

Artelier fucked around with this message at 14:58 on Mar 26, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

I've been considering getting a password manager, but then went into a weird hellhole of research over the last few days and now I am more uncertain than ever. I just don't know what to choose! Never had one before so I'm probably experiencing information overload.

For free options across multiple devices, I think the only real options are BitWarden, Lastpass, and Keepass, correct?

Basically, I use multiple computers, and my Android phone mostly. I thought a password manager lets me remember one password and then I can use it across multiple devices.

But then I thought, what if, for whatever reason, I lose my master password. And then I read people say it's still not secure if someone manages to say break into my phone/laptop. And then I think of all the accounts I need to create passwords for to be secure. What happens if someone gets a monopoly? Is it difficult to transfer passwords? Can they hack in forever? What if I want to get off the ecosystem? Aaaaaaa

I'm just overwhelmed. My gut feel is password manager is a definite improvement. But I've never used one before and I'm not sure how to go about doing it. Any advice either way, or a resource that I should refer to? Apologies if this is the wrong thread or has been discussed, went back a couple pages briefly and didn't see it in the opening either.

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Thanks for the advice everyone! Great info, will do more specific research on how to use BitWarden or Keepass, and leaning towards BitWarden so far yes.

...Also I hope I'm not the only one that constantly reads it as Keep rear end.

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

I would just like to say thank you to this thread because my Firefox updated.

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Bieeanshee posted:

I've restarted twice, it's still there.

I'm really giving Vivaldi serious thought, now. There's really not a lot keeping me here.

any particular reason you favour specifically vivaldi? not too familiar with it (my backup browser is brave)

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Lately, Firefox has been playing videos (YouTube, Facebook, Twitter, etc) at a crazy speed; any idea what's causing this? Seems random. I can fix it by messing with playback settings, but if I pause and replay, or even just go like 5 seconds forward/back, or change my spot in the video, the problem starts again and it is annoying

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

EDIT: INCREDIBLY WRONG THREAD

Artelier fucked around with this message at 16:03 on Sep 5, 2020

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Is there tree tab but like, just icons on the side? And then it can reveal it's text if you mouse over? I tried it a while but thought that even in its smallest size it took up too much space for my liking?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Did anyone else's Dark Mode get nuked with the update or is it just me?