Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Standish
May 21, 2001

RZApublican posted:

The most recent thing I've heard was that it's supposed to be a part of Firefox 8. Given what they're supposed to be doing in 8 with garbage collecting and other under the hood changes, it might actually happen this time, but I wouldn't hold them to it.
Firefox 8 is now Aurora, which does not get major new features added to it, so E10S definitely isn't going to be in that.

Process separation isn't even enabled in the Firefox 9 nightly builds yet (you have to build firefox yourself with a special compile flag) so I wouldn't count on it being in FF9 either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Standish
May 21, 2001

Lum posted:

Don't know why I bothered, it doesn't seem any faster than 32bit. I guess it can use more than 2GB of memory now? :ohdear:
Plus it's more secure due to a larger address space for use by ASLR.

Standish
May 21, 2001

Fangs404 posted:

I've been experiencing an issue with FF locking up for 5-10 seconds occasionally. It usually happens if I go to View Page Info or View Image Info, and it also sometimes happens when I just click on links or bookmarks. Have any of you experienced this?

I'm using a new profile, and the only extensions I'm using at ABP, DownThemAll!, Firebug, Imgur Uploader, Scriptish, and TinEye.
Try vacuuming your places database

Standish
May 21, 2001

Golbez posted:

That's probably not going to help; it's been this way since 4.

apparently fixed in 8

Standish
May 21, 2001

HalloKitty posted:

This is just about the codebase becoming so bloated they need more RAM to build it.
No, it's because they merged loads of DLLs into one mega-dll (xul.dll) to improve startup time. Then they started building with link-time optimisations, which scale exponentially with memory usage with the size of the object file.

Standish
May 21, 2001

Selavi posted:

I just connected a new D-Link WIFI router to my computer, and now whenever I type a single word into the url bar, instead of searching Google, it takes me to the D-link error page. I tried going into about :config, but I think it is a router thing. How can I get my search back?
Tell your router to stop returning custom error pages for DNS lookup failures.

Standish
May 21, 2001

pseudorandom name posted:

4.2.2.2 is a root server, you really shouldn't be contacting it directly
Here is a list of every single root server IP. 4.2.2.2 is not a root server.

ryanbruce posted:

What's the harm in using a root server?
It's faster to use a DNS server "closer" to you because content delivery networks will return a more local IP.

Google has a good explanation of this effect

Standish
May 21, 2001

Anjow posted:

have hundreds of bookmarks that I am unable to copy over in bulk because when I try it just stops working again.
If you're copying over the places.sqlite file, try exporting as HTML/reimporting as HTML instead. If you've already doing that then try using Firefox Sync to migrate your profile as described here

Standish
May 21, 2001

lokk posted:

How do I make FF11 go back to displaying single image files the way the older versions worked (image in top left corner, white background)? I'm not digging the centered screen stuff.

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/old-default-image-style/

Standish
May 21, 2001

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Isn't using an x64 build a bit pointless at the moment? What advantages do they have over x86 builds?
also 64-bit builds are more secure because ASLR has more bits to work with. 32-bit ASLR isn't much more than a speedbump.

Standish
May 21, 2001

Lum posted:

Can someone tell me which setting causes this?

On my old Firefox profile, which I've had since (I think) the days of Firefox 3. My tabs and toolbars pick up their colour from the Windows theme, which I rather like. I do not have any custom themes or personas installed and the Firefox window changes colour with the Windows 8 colour scheme.

On my new Firefox profile, the tabs are grey, only the very background picks up my windows colour settings.

This is what my old profile looks like compared to the new one:

vs

I'd love to get that setting back. It's the only thing stopping me from actually running on a freshly reset profile.
Try setting ui.use_native_colors in about :config

Standish
May 21, 2001

Pilsner posted:

Can anyone think of a way to make Firefox not even respond to system calls that open a specific URL or domain?
You could try this:http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/url_protocol_view.html

Standish
May 21, 2001

Elphiem posted:

Firefox 21

I heard that it's now using system codecs, Will this have any effect on 360p or 480p on Youtube, or is it just for HD?
Unless you have specifically opted in to Youtube's HTML5 trial, you will keep on using Flash which has its own codecs entirely separate from Firefox/system codecs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Standish
May 21, 2001

AllanGordon posted:

Hope someone makes an addon to remove the empty space above the tabs in the Australis UI. Only problem I have with it right now.

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/australis-slimmr/?src=api