Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SteelReserve
May 12, 2018

mike12345 posted:

I just checked, and The Bat https://www.ritlabs.com/en/ still exists. Going strong since 1998. Kind of impressive.

I think I actually purchased The Bat! 10-13 years ago.

My key, if I could even find it again, probably expired a long time ago.

Anyhow, I think Firefox is better than Chrome just for the ability to dig into its configuration and optionally disable some critical web errors, like autoloading videos, prefetching (this makes loading multiple tabs from news aggregate websites painful), and the ability to toss Privacy Badger on top of things to get rid of ads (it becomes extremely effective after a relatively short amount of time).

I also like to set nglayout.initialpaint.delay to "0", and content.notify.interval to "60000000" (60 seconds), with content.notify.ontimer set to "true". It helps out a LOT on less powerful computers, and creates the illusion of things loading faster than they actually are.

SteelReserve fucked around with this message at 21:06 on Aug 13, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SteelReserve
May 12, 2018

Ola posted:

I'm no longer getting network protocol errors, but now I'm getting some error 408s, request timeout, the server did not receive a complete request message etc.

I was getting some weird messages and behavior on my computer about a week ago, and I found the solution was to reinstall Windows 10. (I couldn't set Firefox as the default browser, and it was autoloading itself whenever I would log into my user account, among other issues with Windows.)

Apparently this OS gets unstable after almost a year.

Lambert posted:

It really doesn't, something else was going on.

You're probably right, but I couldn't figure out what, so I downloaded the latest ISO from Microsoft and reinstalled the whole thing.

Maybe I had a virus. Regardless, things are working fine now.

SteelReserve fucked around with this message at 14:03 on Feb 26, 2019

SteelReserve
May 12, 2018

FRINGE posted:

This is not the case. Im not a big MS defender but that just isnt a thing.

OK, I'll admit that the problem was probably on my end of things.

MS has improved things a lot since Windows Millenium.

However, I think Firefox (with Privacy Badger) is better than Internet Explorer and Edge. At least in Firefox I can disable autoplaying videos. Unlike with Chrome.

SteelReserve
May 12, 2018

WattsvilleBlues posted:

How do you disable auto play for videos?

Open a new window, then in the address bar, type in about :config.

Say OK to the warning, and then...

Do a search for "autoplay" to narrow things down.

When you see "media.autoplay.default", double click on that, and change the value to "1" or "2".

"1" blocks all autoplaying videos.

"2" shows a little menu when an autoplaying video attempts to play, giving you the option of allowing it, or preventing it from autoplaying. With option "1", you can usually still click on the video to make it play, though.

"0" autoplays everything.