Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lakitu7
Jul 10, 2001

Watch for spinys

Is there a newer site than userscripts.org for greasemonkey scripts? I thought I'd browse what's available for greasemonkey, but that site is completely unsearchable because it's infested with spam and malware to a point where I can't imagine anyone can still use it. Has the world moved onto a new site? Are greasemonkey-etc. scripts basically dead in favor of browser add-ons/user styles?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lakitu7
Jul 10, 2001

Watch for spinys

That's about what I'd figured. What a shame. Okay, thanks!

Lakitu7
Jul 10, 2001

Watch for spinys

Implied Consent posted:

I use the following userstyle and it works fine for me.

Works perfectly for me, thanks. It also seems more lightweight than the other solutions I've seen flying around.

Lakitu7
Jul 10, 2001

Watch for spinys

They also probably wouldn't be in a race to copy Chrome as much as possible and label all features that aren't shared as nonessential.

Maybe I'm just bitter that panorama is going away.

Lakitu7
Jul 10, 2001

Watch for spinys

Wasn't 51 supposed to be the release that finally rolls out multiprocess for everyone? I don't see anything about it in release notes.

Second question: Does anyone know a download manager addon that puts the download manager in a tab and is compatible with multiprocess? I've been using Download Manager Tweak for years but it's not compatible with multiprocess and looks like it's dead. I don't even care what the download manager looks like really, as long as it's in a tab.

Lakitu7
Jul 10, 2001

Watch for spinys

I don't think so? I don't see anything like that in about:config and google searches just find extensions that haven't been updated in years.

Lakitu7
Jul 10, 2001

Watch for spinys

I finally forced e10s on and holy crap it's so much more responsive. I should have listened to you all sooner.

I only had 3 addons blocking. Download Manager Tweak finally updated, and so did Flash Stopper (as a dev-channel beta release).

The only one left is "space next", which gives an Opera-style "press space at the end of the page to try to load the next one". With e10s on it just plain doesn't work. There's a notice on its page saying that the developer does not intend to update it for e10s and I've been unable to find a replacement. I can live without it for how much faster things are, but perhaps another Opera refugee knows a working similar extension?

Lakitu7
Jul 10, 2001

Watch for spinys

Is there a reasonable hope of somebody making a forked version that's kept updated enough with critical security patches? Or is FF just too complex at this point for any hobby project to really maintain a fork?

If not I guess I'll have to see how Vivaldi is coming along.

Lakitu7
Jul 10, 2001

Watch for spinys

You could try https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/fi.../flashstopper/. Despite the name, it stops html5 and all other manner of videos too. Sometimes they get a blip of audio off first before it fires but usually not.

Lakitu7
Jul 10, 2001

Watch for spinys

Ola posted:

It makes youtube a bit of a hassle, but worth a try. I hope all news web designers feel awful, history will judge them harshly.

e: it also breaks gifvs. Flashstopper is non-multiprocess as of yet and failed to stop quite a few videos. If autoplay=false can stop everything, a pretty simple addon should be able to filter some of the things.

Mine says Compatible with Multiprocess?

Lakitu7
Jul 10, 2001

Watch for spinys

Ola posted:

On this site for instance:

https://www.usatoday.com/story/mone...suit/415874001/

Neither default settings nor proactive blocking stops the video. But it says my multiprocess is still enabled after install/restart so perhaps the addon is broken by it. I did set force multiprocess at some point but undid all the settings I could find. The workaround of autoplay=false will obviously work without installing the addon. It looks like it makes autoplay=false work differently on youtube, the videos start with the replay icon activated instead of pause. Perhaps that's better. GIFs in the GIF thread work if you right-click and play, but that doesn't work on twitter.

I have the one from the dev channel, I guess. I don't really recall which addons I had to do that vs. which just updated themselves to e10s compatible.
It stops the video on that site for me, and I don't have proactive blocking on. When I enable session autoplay for that site and refresh, it starts autoplaying, so I think that confirms that it's not being stopped by something else. I'm not really sure how to explain why it's working for me but not you, sorry. I guess try the dev channel version? I'm on FF 53.0.2.

Lakitu7
Jul 10, 2001

Watch for spinys

I remember that happening once because I had the option enabled in both FireGestures and TabMixPlus, and I needed to disable it in at least one of them. It might be something to check if you have both of them, or some other extension that might overlap.

Lakitu7
Jul 10, 2001

Watch for spinys

I'm in up-to-date 55. Windows 10 mouse settings says the wheel scrolls "multiple lines at a time". In Logtech's settings app, it's set to 3 lines at a time. Checking now, I apparently still somehow have both extensions (TabMixPlus and FireGestures) set to provide the "switch tabs with scroll wheel over tab bar" options. Mine changes only one tab.

Probably that's not helpful but all I can say is that it *should* work? Maybe it would help to install drivers for your mouse from Logitech or whoever else might have made it?

Lakitu7
Jul 10, 2001

Watch for spinys

Installed 57 beta. It's definitely, obviously faster. I'm missing some favorites extensions but will try to get used to it.

I miss the ability to lock tabs from being closed, from Tab Mix Plus. Hopefully that comes back someday but it seems like the answer for now is "not now".

FoxyGestures seems fine but I can't find, or it doesn't have, rocker gestures in the style of left+right = forward, right+left = back. It's also frustrating when it doesn't work on browser-internal pages, or when a page hasn't loaded yet. This isn't their fault I realize but it's frustrating.

If you're migrating from Stylish to Stylus, make sure to use this export process from stylish BEFORE you update to 57. The temporary extension that you use to export from Stylish will not run on 57, so you'll have re-downgrade to do the export, then upgrade again.
https://add0n.com/stylus.html

After that, Stylus seems fine I guess? I barely use it anymore except for a custom style to make SA a little prettier, and it's doing that fine.

Lakitu7
Jul 10, 2001

Watch for spinys

Tweetdeck doesn't have ads, just all on its own. I think it's worth it just for that even if you otherwise hate the interface.

The Better Tweetdeck extension can also customize the Tweetdeck width and add buttons to clear or roll-up each column right from the main screen.

Twitter restricted the API for third-party mobile clients from being able to do notifications, but one way third party clients get around this on Android (maybe IOS too?) is to have you also install the official client and turn its notifications on, and then they intercept those notifications and replace them with theirs instead. It sounds janky but it's completely seamless, so I wouldn't let the API changes stop you from considering third party clients.

Lakitu7
Jul 10, 2001

Watch for spinys

How is Vivaldi's record for privacy? Does Blink engine mean necessarily mean everything's going to google?

Lakitu7
Jul 10, 2001

Watch for spinys

Klyith posted:

Their privacy policy is better than Mozilla's.

Most of google's biggest data collection code is only in chrome, not chromium. So any of the chrome-based browsers that aren't chrome are much better, including a generic chromium build. AFAIK vivaldi's devs remove most stuff, but there's still some things like hard-coded DNS fallbacks to google. Incredibly minor leakage IMO, but some people still freak about it.

So I think vivaldi is even better at privacy than firefox. If I ever get totally fed up it'll become my main. But I still like using firefox more.

Thanks. I'm one of those people who really loved 2013 Opera, so I probably should give it a try. I just had some resistance to jumping on another community fork browser but I'm having a hard time seeing what benefit there is to staying on firefox these days. At least on a Blink-based browser, I won't have to hop over to Chrome when I want random bank sites to work properly or video playback to not be choppy.

Lakitu7
Jul 10, 2001

Watch for spinys

bewilderment posted:

And I've just found out it has a functioning Tree-style tab extension. It's a little ugly looking in terms of font and layout but it's fully functional.

Could you link this, please? I'm having a hard time finding it anything that looks functional or non-abandoned.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lakitu7
Jul 10, 2001

Watch for spinys

bewilderment posted:

Installation instructions at this link:
https://forum.vivaldi.net/topic/15332/tree-tabs

Treetabs 2 download here:
https://yadi.sk/d/hoJ3b6o3ZQfSUQ

Although that might be abandoned too, who knows.

It looks like one of those authors has a similar extension for Opera.

From the comments it sounds like it breaks really often . I'll check it out though, thank you!