Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pilsner
Nov 23, 2002

Something really annoying has started to happen since perhaps a week ago. I was on 5.0, but just now upgraded to 6.0 and now 6.0.2, same results.

I have my FF set to load google.com upon opening a new tab, and as you know, Google has JavaScript that puts the cursor in the search box. I used to be able begin typing something to search for immediately, as soon as the site had loaded (which is of course lightning fast), but since this started happening, FF doesn't respond to input right away - I have to wait a second or two until I can begin typing. It's almost as if it's attempting to do type-ahead search behind the scene, which "steals" the text from the google.com search text box.

Is this the fault of Google or FF, or a combination?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pilsner
Nov 23, 2002

However:

quote:

To enable it, go to about :config, find browser.tabs.onTop and double click to enable it (set the value to False). The feature, when it’s value is set to True disables the Tabs on Top option; setting the value to False tells your browser to stop hiding it.
Hiding an option and making things more cumbersome for the users... what are the developers smoking? Oh right, the Chrome-weed.

Pilsner
Nov 23, 2002

xamphear posted:

To me it makes perfect sense to remove the feature, and leave it to add-on developers to put back in if people want it that badly. It removes code that 99% of Firefox users won't need, while the 1% who do want it can add it back in.

But you could say that about 100 other minor features, and suddenly the average user will need 10-30 addons to continue to have the functionality they had before.

I'm still bitter about them removing the perfectly fine download status bar. Dealing with addons is a negative point for me, as they get abandoned, perhaps aren't up to standards when it comes to stability and such, and it brings a chore when jumping on a fresh computer.

I always loved it when World of Warcraft incorporated features into the default user interface that a popular user-created addon did. It meant the feature was now guaranteeed to work with every release, was stable, and it was just one less thing to worry about.

Another annoyance is also how super unstable the Firefox GUI is. Every other release, the navigation buttons have been redesigned and moved around. It's complete nonsense, the developers clearly have no direction and just wildly try to copy features from other browsers or randomly experiment with new stuff just for fun. It's super annoying. The *only* useful user interface FF has received since forever is the Chrome-ization with the tabs on the title bar and floating status bar, all stolen from Chrome.

Pilsner fucked around with this message at 20:05 on Sep 1, 2012

Pilsner
Nov 23, 2002

xamphear posted:

You say "average user" but I think you mean to say "power user like me."

Average users will use whatever is given to them and likely not even give a poo poo or even stop to notice. Tabs on top? Whatever. On bottom now? Fine. Back on top? Sure thing, boss.
That's exactly what I hate about the average user in my nerd-rage. New version of software X does this differently? Whatever you say, software company! *bends over without critical thinking*. God.

Space Gopher posted:

From the developers' standpoint, it's one more thing they have to qualify with every release, guarantee stability on, and is just one more thing to worry about.

But uhm, software is made for users. A developer has to worry about a lot of stuff, or there wouldn't be a product. My point is just that you could sum up 100 "little features" in Firefox and go "well let's remove them since 99% of people leave them at default". But, a huge amount of users are likely to have changed at least one of those settings, so now almost everyone is annoyed.

Pilsner
Nov 23, 2002

Anyone else having serious problems with Flash performance in FF? Youtube videos chug a bit (audio is fluid though), and google finance's stock charts are very laggy when I interact with them using the mouse. I have the latest version of FF, Flash and my video card drivers.

Edit: All flash is smooth as silk in Chrome on the same computer.

Pilsner fucked around with this message at 11:46 on Sep 3, 2012

Pilsner
Nov 23, 2002

Having yet another problem as of late: Sometimes when I click a link (seems to mostly be Youtube links from Messenger), it'll start a new firefox.exe process. The memory count goes up to about 2MB after a few seconds, then it just sits there.... until about a minute later, it suddenly pops up the Youtube video in a new tab in my existing browser (set to single-window mode). Super annoying.

I'm honestly getting a little tired of FF. Either they're not as good or don't test as well as the Chrome devs do, or they're just releasing too often for their own good; perhaps the codebase is too crappy. The devs should try to remember that releasing less often is sometimes preferable. There's constantly some current issue causing a lot of trouble.

Turhis posted:

Youtube works like poo poo, but everything else works just fine (twitch.tv, flash games etc)

Sometimes when I exit fullscreen flash (at youtube) the whole browser just hangs up and I have to kill FlashPlayerPlugin_xxxxxx.exe from task manager to get it back. Anyone else have that problem?
At least weekly (sometimes multiple times) my FF freezes during a Youtube video, and I have to kill the FlashPlayerPlugin*.exe process.

Also, try going to this link for me:

http://www.google.com/finance?q=NASDAQ%3AFB&ei=SwBGUODWLIaZwQOsiQE

Hover your mouse (also try scrolling in/out) over the blue/white chart in the middle - does your mouse cursor lag like crazy too?

Pilsner
Nov 23, 2002

The main thing with the tabs on top is that they're good candidates for utilizing the nearly-useless space the title bar fills. If you put the address bar up there, it would look very weird, or buttons for that matter. I can see your point about a tab being a hierarchy and that it doesn't own the UI buttons, but well yeah, that is just nerdy.

zachol posted:

Firefox 4 tabs on top explained.

The "Fitt's law" stuff is nonsense anyway. The top is where the title bar lives. You click and drag it when you want to move the window around. If you flick your mouse all the way to the top and click, you should hit the title bar, not the tabs. Moving it there just changes the target location, it doesn't make it "infinitely tall."
For me, at least, changing tabs is the primary UI element I use my mouse for, with bookmarks second. Things like reloading and the address bar are done with keyboard commands. It makes the most sense to have the most commonly used UI element (for me, the tab bar) closest to the content area.

If you do everything else with the keyboard, why aren't you using Ctrl+Tab for switching tabs? With TabMix Plus you can make the Ctrl+Tab functionality behave as you please; I love it myself.

I also strongly disagree that the title bar should be up there. I'll be bold and say that Chrome's first release that put the tabs on the title bar was the most revolutionary browser UI change we've (I've?) seen since like the year 2000 or something. On top of that, the by-default single bar with buttons/address bar and the status bar that only showed when necessary.

Pilsner
Nov 23, 2002

Outpost22 posted:

How can I get all my settings, preferences, bookmarks, that sort of thing, from Firefox on my old computer to my new computer? Is that what sync is used for or is that just for mobile devices?
I always just copy my entire profile manually from:

C:\Users\<accountname>\AppData\Roaming\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\<randomcharacter>.default

Fire up Firefox onces on your new computer, close it, find the auto-generated profile directory, and copy the contents of the old directory into the new. It copies all extensions, bookmarks and settings. This has served me perfectly and I think I've been running off the same profile since FF3, on multiple computers.

Fangs404 posted:

Many of the people using Chrome now switched a while back when Chrome actually was significantly faster than FF. Now that they offer about the same level of performance, a lot of people don't want to switch back. FF's main advantage has always been its extensions and overall customizability; its extension framework is still much more powerful than Chrome's.
Yeah I remember Chrome being ridiculously fast at rendering when it first came out. However, at launch, it didn't even have extension support.

I'll stay with FF until Chrome implements a proper type-ahead find. :colbert: However, I do use Chrome for watching videos (Youtube, television on-demand and such), which fits nicely for me as I can keep it in a separate window on my secondary monitor, without interfering with my always-open FF window on my main monitor. Chrome is usually better at viewing Flash and is of course always good at showing YouTube, so I'm pretty happy with it.

I think a lot of it is also just hype or attraction to shiny things that move fast (Chrome). Each browser has their ups and downs.

Pilsner
Nov 23, 2002

Can anyone think of a way to make Firefox not even respond to system calls that open a specific URL or domain? My issue is that I have a "freemium" application that does a nag browser call every once in a while. I'm 99% sure it does this simply by calling "http://www.nagwebsite.com" as a system command. This is interpreted a HTTP protocol call of course, which makes Firefox handle it and load the site. I want to intercept this so FF, or any other default browser, doesn't even respond.

Any ideas? I tried an FF addon called BlockSite, but it doesn't prevent FF from handling the call and make a new (blank) tab.

Pilsner
Nov 23, 2002

Hah! Solved the problem myself by writing a little application that intercepts all HTTP protocol calls and blocks certain URLs. I set the program to be called under the follow registry key:
code:
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\http\shell\open\command
Works like a charm and took 30 minutes to write. Being a developer is good stuff :smug:. Here's the code if anyone's interested, not that it has anything to do with Firefox though.
code:
static void Main(string[] args)
{
	if(args.Length > 0)
	{
		using(TextWriter tw = new StreamWriter(Path.Combine(Application.StartupPath, "HttpHandlerLog.txt"), true))
		{
			tw.WriteLine(String.Format("{0}: {1}", DateTime.Now.ToString("yyyy-MM-dd HH:mm:ss"), args[0].ToString()));
		}
	}

if (args.Length > 0 && !args[0].Contains("everquest.com/free-to-play"))
	{
		Process proc = new Process();
		proc.StartInfo.FileName = @"C:\Program Files (x86)\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe";
		proc.StartInfo.Arguments = String.Format("-osint -url \"{0}\"", args[0]);

proc.Start();
	}
}

Pilsner
Nov 23, 2002

Mujaji posted:

Giantbomb.com has switched to using the browsers native full screen rendering instead of flash's implementation. So now on multi monitor setups when you change window focus it automatically leaves full screen, which is really annoying there are workarounds (f11 + windowed full screen) but I would rather just click one button. Is there some about :config setting or a plugin to make firefox keep fullscreen video playing on a second monitor when it loses focus?
I know this is not at all a direct solution to your problem, but I personally use Chrome as my video/youtube/steaming browser on my secondary monitor just for this purpose - avoiding conflicts of all kinds with my main browser (FF). Works pretty well.

Pilsner
Nov 23, 2002

Good points, I agree. I'm scared of the future, because it seems we've hit a peak some years ago, and developers are now on a high horse on making software as tablet-friendly (gently caress tablets) and barebones as possible, cutting off configuration and customization, aiming just for the install and go users. Microsoft has been the traditional, undisputed king of offering next to no configuration, and it was great how in the 00's, alternatives came by like FF came by. Google has always walked on both sides, but lately, they've made truly terrible design decisions in things like GMail, and they are inconsistent about Chrome - some features are apparently bloat and some aren't. Google doesn't really seem like our friends in this manner. I just can't help but think "assholes!" when a perfectly fine option or feature is removed without a word.

Particularly the lack of tab configuration is a good example. Anything the developers might say about such as thing as tab customization being bloat makes no sense, because it's purely a configuration issue, otherwise it wouldn't be possible for an extension to change it.

PS: 60 extensions. :monocle:

Pilsner
Nov 23, 2002

Avenging Dentist posted:

There are plenty of things being added to browsers (most obviously in terms of HTML support), but no, there aren't a lot more options being added because no one does that. Doing so adds a maintenance/testing burden onto developers (or automotive engineers) that just slows down their ability to add things that are useful to the majority.
Well, what is the point of Firefox? It's free and made by a non-profit organization, as far as I can gather. There are no ads and no real point to it other than open source pride. I don't see why the Mozilla devs should be happy that Grandma now thinks that Firefox out of the box feels as simple as IE. Everything causes more work for the developers, so that point doesn't hold water.

Imagine if FF had zero configuration and was just as the devs decided. It would be unusable for me and pretty much anyone who used FF from back in the old days, like version 3 and such; us who appreciate the configuration ability and extension framework. If they slash those dozens of small configuration options, it adds up to a lot. What would you say if FF cut support for extensions, because the majority probably don't use extensions anyway?

Note that I'm not angry yet, I think FF is great, but the future looks grim.

Pilsner
Nov 23, 2002

RGX posted:

Still got my stupid loving problem. Switched over to the HTML 5 trial, which essentially broke my player and caused videos to stop loading. Youtube is by far the worst, problem is it's where I watch a lot of my content. As far as I can tell it's a Firefox problem, my computer runs AAA games and plays other HD content with no problem at all. I've run anti-malware scanners, anti-virus programs, everything's clean as a whistle.

Anything else I can try?
I know it's not the best help, but I've long given up on FF and Youtube, they just suck together. Chrome is pretty much made for Youtube, so I use that for all kinds of video watching.

Pilsner
Nov 23, 2002

Im_Special posted:

Yeah, in maybe the last 7 years I've maybe had one problem with Firefox ever
I still love FF compared to the competition, but over the past 5+ years I have had numerous problems, such as frequent slowdowns, memory hogging, GUI lagging (in fact my FF is freezing for a split second a few per times per minute as I'm writing this - an age old bug that rears its head now and then), flash performance problems to hell and back, and more. A "professionally" developed and tested browser like IE has definitely been more stable, although of course also at the cost of being hopelessly behind in terms of features and customization. It's the price you have to pay for open source and frequent releases, it seems.

Pilsner
Nov 23, 2002

Yeah, something's wrong with your setup.

I think the new little green button with a tiny progress bar is great and compact, but the Library window is a disaster. What does Downloads have to do with a "Library"? Second, it has the typical modern huge amounts of line space, which infuriates me to no end. Oh well, all I want is a reasonable status while I'm downloading; couldn't care less about a history of my downloads.

Pilsner
Nov 23, 2002

WattsvilleBlues posted:

I noticed this a few months back. Using the in-development of ABP makes no difference. Couldn't believe how fast Firefox starts up with it disabled.
I've kinda become acquainted with Firefox just being a heavy and slow beast to start up. With un-focused, saved tabs set to not load until clicked, it doesn't bother me much, since I only restart FF anyway when rebooting or if Flash fucks up.

Pilsner
Nov 23, 2002

Alereon posted:

Firefox's customizability advantage over Chrome doesn't come from having an Options menu full of page after page of confusing settings nobody uses, it comes from the extensibility that add-ons offer. This change wasn't made because some UX designer decided it was the right way, it was made because there are significantly more people who toggled it, saw their browser break, then complained/contacted support than there were people who actually used the feature. There were also some technical reasons why preventing hiding of the tab bar can simplify things and improve performance, and the overall goal of having fewer settings (by eliminating the ones telemetry shows aren't used).

It's easy to say that you shouldn't be inconvenienced because other people change settings they don't understand and can't fix it, but the reality is that anyone who actually cares can just install the extension to get the old behavior back. This doesn't really cost you much at all, but leaving the option in costs a lot more for impacted users and the support organizations that help them.
One downside of making everything rely on addons though, is that users are in for the job of managing said addons as time goes by, they break, and the authors stop updating them. Anyone who's played World of Warcraft will know what I'm talking about - a major patch equals a day long hell of finding updates to all your addons, and addons simply become unusable over time. Every time a popular addon gets integrated into the game, I breathe a sigh of a relief - phew, don't have to worry about that one anymore.

As I've said before in this thread: Perhaps only a few percent used that Panorama thing, so let's say you're pissing off 2% of the userbase by removing it. Now continue to remove 50 other "niche" features, and suddenly every single user is pissed off to some degree.

Pilsner
Nov 23, 2002

An oldie... font issues in Firefox. I think it's Google's fonts - they look wonky.

I have ClearType disabled on Windows. Fonts look the same in Chrome. They look fine in IE, which I believe forces ClearType on.

I've tried all sorts of fiddling with hardware acceleration and such to no avail.

Pilsner
Nov 23, 2002

Alereon posted:

Do you have the latest Beta graphics drivers from the adapter manufacturer installed?
I have a Geforce, with drivers from 26/2 2013. Why should I try the beta drivers particularly?

Pilsner
Nov 23, 2002

... but all other than those google fonts look fine. However, since it's the same problem in Chrome I guess it's not really an FF bug.

Pilsner
Nov 23, 2002

In case anyone else is experiencing copy/paste issues (copy not working on a freshly opened page), there appears to be a fix in the latest beta:

https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/questions/962451?page=5

I'm trying it out as I type this - it appears to work.

Pilsner fucked around with this message at 22:11 on Jul 26, 2013

Pilsner
Nov 23, 2002

Im_Special posted:

So you know when you highlight a word or phrase then right clicking it you can do a "Search "searchengine" for word/phrase", is there a hot key I can use instead of the whole right clicking each time? I'd like to just highlight and press a button or a combo of buttons to open a new tab for the search result if possible.
Another way of doing it would be Ctrl-C, Ctrl-K, Ctrl-V, Enter. You can keep Ctrl held down all the time. Ctrl-K highlights the search box, a combo I use all the time. The majority of the time it's faster to just type a word instead of moving the mouse to highlight it.

fookolt posted:

I think this is a Firefox issue (I don't think I've seen it in Chrome but Chrome is also not my daily driver):

Sometimes when I click on a link, the page goes blank like it's loading it, but it never loads the page (or it takes forever). What fixes it is just hitting ctrl-R to refresh the page and then it loads instantly.

Any ideas?
A bit of a long shot, but I would guess the problem lies with your ISP and/or proxy. Tough to say though. I seem to recall having a similar problem 3-4 years ago, but that's not much help.

Pilsner
Nov 23, 2002

Mr.Radar posted:

Does anyone know of an extension that prevents sites from stealing the '/' keypress event? I use the '/' key a lot for the built-in find on page and it's incredibly annoying when a site steals it for their own search box.
'Fraid I can't help you specifically, but have you considered just enabling type-ahead search under Options->Advanced->General tab? It's the number one feature that makes me stick with FF instead of Chrome. That way you can just begin typing to search.

There's also generally a config: setting that toggles whether FF always takes a first look at pressed keys, overriding a website's own interpretation of them, but I forgot what it's called. For example on Wikipedia, you can press Alt+F to focus the search box, and you'll have to press Shift+Alt+F to send Alt+F to FF itself. The setting reverses this.

Pilsner
Nov 23, 2002

Am I mistaken, or did they gently caress up the search recently, both Find and type-ahead search? It doesn't wrap around when hitting F3 (to find more results); it only works "once" through the page, from the top. Even pressing the Previous button on the Find bar at the bottom doesn't work.

Edit: Restarting/updating FF to version 25.0 fixed it.
Edit: Problem has come back. :mad:

Pilsner fucked around with this message at 10:46 on Nov 7, 2013

Pilsner
Nov 23, 2002

I hate it already without having tried it. "Streamlined and organic" my butt. :corsair:

FRINGE has it right. UI overhauls are 99% marketing bullshit, not necessarily better. I mean honestly, their primary feature is rounded tabs. :lol:

Pilsner fucked around with this message at 15:55 on Nov 20, 2013

Pilsner
Nov 23, 2002

Jago posted:

Windows... Classic..?
The "Windows Classic" theme in Windows 7, under the Control Panel->Personalization options.

AKA the proper theme with some actual contrast so you can see what's going on.

Pilsner
Nov 23, 2002

Im_Special posted:

So I'm not sure if this is a Firefox problem, an add-on, flash or Youtube problem but lately when I try and watch random videos (not all of them) they simply won't load until I refresh the page (sometimes a few refreshes are needed) and then they'll work magically. I'm on the latest Firefox, latest flash, all add-ons are up to date and I've tried with all add-ons disabled with the same results, is only started maybe a few weeks ago. Has anyone else been experiencing this?

Fake edit: Seems it's one of my GreaseMonkey scripts 'YouTube - Auto-Buffer & Auto-HD' hopefully it'll get fixed soon.
Same here. Can happen without extension or with (Magic Actions or YouTube Options), on several computers, in several browsers, on several networks (work and home). YouTube and/or flash also just seems to "go sour" as time goes by (I never restart or reboot unless something goes wonky), requiring a restart of Chrome, FF, or the entire computer.

All in all, gently caress flash or something. I wonder if HTML5 will take care of this - anyone have technical insight or experience with it?

Pilsner fucked around with this message at 11:51 on Feb 5, 2014

Pilsner
Nov 23, 2002

AlmightyBob posted:

According to the firefox UX designer, I should just be using keyboard shortcuts :rolleyes:
It'd be nice if they would stop spending 50% of their development time shuffling toolbar buttons around and rounding tabs. I can't count the number of pointless changes to the look and positioning of the back/forward buttons over the years.

I agree that one should learn keyboard shortcuts, though, even though it makes no sense to hear that from a UX designer. For reference, here are some useful shortcuts:

Back: Alt+Left arrow
Forward: Alt+Right arrow
Home: Alt+Home
Focus the search box: Ctrl+E or Ctrl+K
Focus the address bar: Alt+D
Refresh: Ctrl+R
Close tab: Ctrl+W
New tab: Ctrl+T
Duplicate tab: Ctrl+Alt+T
Stop page from loading: Esc
Cycle tab pages: Ctrl+PgUp and Ctrl+PgDown

Pilsner fucked around with this message at 09:33 on Mar 27, 2014

Pilsner
Nov 23, 2002

You peeps who have upgraded; can we still hide the File menu bar?

The Dark One posted:

I like Ctrl-Tab and Ctrl-Shift-Tab for that.

There's also Ctrl-Shift-T to reopen a tab you'd closed and Ctrl-Shift-N to re-open a window you'd closed.
Those are different. PgDown just goes down your list of tabs, whereas Ctrl+Tab cycles tabs in most recent order. Both are useful, although Ctrl+Tab is the most kickass (and sorely lacking from Chrome, for example).

Pilsner
Nov 23, 2002

Install Windows posted:

Most 64 bit applications take advantage of the fact that they're no longer stuck in a memory window from 1985. This usually includes caching much more stuff in RAM then they would in 32 bit builds, because it's way harder to actually run out of RAM.
Do you have a source for this? This makes no sense to me. The reason Windows 7 and up appears to gobble up insane amounts of RAM is not because the applications were compiled to 64bit and made for Windows 7, it's Windows itself that uses the RAM cleverly.

It's true that an application can benefit from caching stuff, but it makes little sense in a web browser where the upcoming content is of infinite variance, unpredictable and the caching process itself would be intrusive (i.e. beginning to download and cache all of your bookmarks on startup or something). Caching like there's no tomorrow only really makes sense with applications where the data is mostly firm, its use predictable, and where there is a huge performance boost to be had by caching before opening the flood gates - the best example is a database.

Pilsner
Nov 23, 2002

dpbjinc posted:

Web pages have plenty of static content. The same CSS, scripts, and images often appear many times in a Web site. Caching that stuff is going to reduce network usage and improve page load times.
Sure, but if the browser caching everything endlessly, the browser's memory usage will trend towards infinity. Perhaps some logical caching, like the 20 latest visited websites, prioritizing the most visited or something would make sense. Still, it would be frivolous to eat up a gigabyte of memory or more on this account, and what's more important, I don't see at all how this logic relates 64bit vs. 32bit, which is the main point.

hifi posted:

The firefox dev tools has a nice chart for that under the network tab if you click the number of requests in the bottom right corner. It's about half a second on the front page of this thread for me.
That's probably for processing the script. Downloading it will take almost no time. I don't think it makes sense to cache the CSS transformation... it would have to save a static HTML version of the page you're viewing and display that again later, which wouldn't be too smart for a forum at least.

Pilsner fucked around with this message at 13:49 on Apr 7, 2014

Pilsner
Nov 23, 2002

Does anyone else here use an AHK hotkey to active Firefox, and have had it act strange as of late? Perhaps since a week ago, whenever I hit it, Firefox gets activated fine, but it sort of flashes the title bar for a split second, and more often than not, the Alt key will be held down, resulting in the File menu bar being shown. Totally weird. Here's my script:
code:
#g::
	IfWinExist ahk_class MozillaWindowClass
	{
		WinActivate
		return
	}
	else
	{
		Run C:\Program Files (x86)\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe
		WinWait ahk_class MozillaWindowClass
		WinActivate
		return
	}
I have turned off FF updates since about a month ago, so I can't have received any new FF version.... maybe it's something else interfering.

Pilsner
Nov 23, 2002

Is there a way to make FF antialias text? I have cleartype/antialiasing disabled on Windows because I think it looks awful. Chrome and IE have their own antialiasing.

It's becoming a greater annoyance as more and more websites use those google fonts that looks completely whack without antialiasing.

Pilsner
Nov 23, 2002

The Dave posted:

This is getting really addicting, wish I could do something to the image buttons but it looks like few have unique classes.

EDIT: I have the opacity down on avatars for work, but I can hover them to see 100%.
Nice, you've made SA look like a brain-melting modern Google website where everything is grey and white, and there are zero borders or lines to separate neither content nor controls. I can't believe someone would willingly do that. :monocle:

Pilsner
Nov 23, 2002

Restarted FF today and TabMix Plus got updated. Since then, new tabs opened via Ctrl+T open at the end of the tab row, not next to the current. I've checked the setting to no avail.

FF v. 28, TabMix Plus v. 0.4.1.5.1

Anyone else?

Edit: I knew I'd find the answer within 5 minutes: http://tmp.garyr.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=18884

Oh well.

Pilsner
Nov 23, 2002

IGgy IGsen posted:

But another question: Am I the only one who thinks that it's sad that I have to use add-ons to restore functionality the browser had easily accessible in menus a couple versions ago? It's like they want every browser to look like chrome somehow so they hide the real options in the config.
That's how Firefix evolves, it seems. They randomly flail around, removing options or functionality at a whim with random argumentation such as "it was bloat" or "this is hard to maintain" or "this is functionality that add-ons should support", then 5-10 versions later it sometimes gets re-introduced anyway. UI elements on the main toolbar change place every 2-3 versions. I've been using FF for close to 10 years, and am still an overall fan, but there is no sense or discipline to this pattern in my eyes. Oh well.

Pilsner
Nov 23, 2002

wooger posted:

I mean that even without using Pentadactyl, I don't see why anyone would want a separate search bar, and when the address bar
works the same. It matches the way Chrome works too, so hardly out of the ordinary for most people.

As noted, I don't have either bar visible in my own configuration.
But they don't work the same. What I love about the dedicated address bar in FF is that I can type in fragments of an URL I once visited, even just a few letters separated by spaces, and it will dig in my history, both looking at window titles and URLs. Here's an example:

Chrome's address bar gives a short mix of search suggestions and a severely downprioritized browsing history, often only including 1 browsing history result.

The way FF handles the digging through browsing history means that there's virtually no need to bookmark anything anymore if you can just remember a few letters of the title or URL. Great stuff.

When I want to do a google search, I hit Ctrl+T, wait 1 second for google.com to load, then enter my query. When I want to do a Wikipedia search, I hit Ctrl+E to focus the search bar and start typing. gently caress if it gets any easier.

jink posted:

The new search is in 34 BETA. It's part of the search restructuring Mozilla is doing; Google is out as the default search provider and Yahoo is in. Naturally this will freak people out, so they are building a UI that will show the other providers. I like it; it's a great way for people to discover other ways to use the browser.

https://blog.mozilla.org/blog/2014/11/19/promoting-choice-and-innovation-on-the-web/
Every time I read a Mozilla press release I want to barf. It reads like a mix of corporate bullshit and an SJW blog post. The most vomit-inducing corporate bulletin I have ever read came from Mozilla - the one about apologizing for hiring the "gay hating" CEO and firing him. Give me some nerdy changelogs and facts any day.

Pilsner
Nov 23, 2002

DDG? Is that Duck Duck Go? First time I've heard of that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pilsner
Nov 23, 2002

Sir Unimaginative posted:

Point 1 illustrates your feelings on inter-app compatibility as regards web browsers (as regards other apps with no attachment to web browsers, not even through plugins, isn't relevant in a discussion about web browsers and plugins for web browsers), and in light of that your concern about it is absurd. Your arguments effectively leave only the Web for the browser to be interoperable with, and thanks to HTML5 the day when it no longer cares what you use for a client is nearly at hand - but your memory space sure as hell cares, and before you say process-per-tab or whatever that doesn't help you with the primary thread or with memory-heavy tabs, and you still need process-per-tab to actually happen. This also neglects that you want to push 64-bit software on 64-bit hosts so you don't have the 80/20 rule hitting your troubleshooting team with a vengeance, multiplied by however many years it takes for users to stumble upon bad decisions no one noticed because it looked fine on testing machines and only a small fraction of users even got that codebase before Microsoft finally says "okay 32-bit is over get the hell out".
Pray that browsers don't stop supporting italics or your debating powers will take a nosedive!