Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
title stolen for lf posting
These loving idiots are spending time remaking the loving bar again?

Fire the ipad ~DESIGNER~ children and hire some loving devs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FRINGE
May 23, 2003

Geemer posted:

:eng99:
I literally just broke company protocol and installed Firefox on my work computer yesterday, to get away from Chrome's terrible UX and now it's going to follow me anyway.

Thanks for preemptively posting the solution, Im_Special!

Some number of people at Mozilla have to have been on Googles payroll ever since Google half-took over years ago.

That was when all the "accidental dumb decisions" started and the market share flipped.

FRINGE
May 23, 2003

MikusR posted:

people complained and pointed out problems but Mozilla ignored it.

They do their actual jobs.

https://www.computerworld.com/article/3389882/former-mozilla-exec-alleges-google-torpedoed-firefox-with-oops-excuses.html

quote:

The complications came from direct competition between the two companies over browsers, and the fact that Google has been the source of more than 91% of all Mozilla revenue year in, year out. (Google paid Mozilla to make the Google search service the default in Firefox.) Although some questioned whether Google would continue to pay Mozilla once it had its own browser, the former kept writing checks. And in 2017, when Mozilla walked away from a five-year contract with Yahoo after Yahoo was bought by Verizon, the Firefox maker went right back to Google as its main money source.

The competition manifested itself in suspicious ways, Nightingale contended. "Google Chrome ads started appearing next to Firefox search terms," he tweeted. Gmail & [Google] Docs started to experience selective performance issues and bugs on Firefox. Demo sites would falsely block Firefox as 'incompatible.'

"All of this is stuff you're allowed to do to compete, of course. But we were still a search partner, so we'd say 'Hey, what gives?' And every time, they'd say, "Oops. That was accidental. We'll fix it in the next push in 2 weeks.

"Over and over. Oops. Another accident. We'll fix it soon. We want the same things. We're on the same team. There were dozens of oopses. Hundreds maybe? I'm all for 'don't attribute to malice what can be explained by incompetence,' but I don't believe Google is that incompetent.

"I think they were running out the clock. We lost users during every oops. And we spent effort and frustration every clock tick on that instead of improving our product. We got outfoxed for a while and by the time we started calling it what it was, a lot of damage had been done."

Yet Mozilla rarely called out Google over the tactics Nightingale described. The company was much more willing to lay into Microsoft, such as when it took that rival to task for setting Edge as the default Windows 10 browser during upgrades from Windows 7 or 8.1, when a former engineer blamed Microsoft's third-party browser rules for Mozilla's decision to bag a touch-based version for Windows 8 and 8.1, or when the organization joined others in demanding European anti-trust regulators rein in Microsoft's leveraging of IE.

Mozilla's hesitation in criticizing Google over Chrome was understandable: The organization - and thus Firefox - was wedded to the money Google paid out. (In 2011, three years after Chrome's debut, Google's payments accounted for 84% of all Mozilla revenue.)

Time to move some buttons around and force more users to give up! Cash that sweet check!

(That article ends with a big "well actually!" that ignores the fact that the pattern never stops.)

FRINGE
May 23, 2003

quote:

Using tab to navigate a list is clearly an antipattern that goes against all commonly accepted keyboard navigation standards.

Huh? Is this a thing now?

FRINGE
May 23, 2003

Pikestaff posted:

It looks like the config options for the new address bar are getting removed too. :shrug:

quote:

There's been so impressively much negative feedback that it's absolutely clear this isn't just the usual user annoyance at change.

Since then it's become clear that Mozilla is not prepared to listen to user feedback. Indeed, if they were, they'd have done so when people complained on their bug tracker—which they did, politely and eloquently, from the moment this Megabar landed in the experimental branches all the way through to today.

Their strategy seems to be to ignore all complaints until people just give up. There's a common UX fallacy that your new design is always right, and users who complain just "don't like change" regardless of what it is. This whole sub, a group of over 100,000 Firefox enthusiasts, has been dismissed as an "echo chamber" that's not worth paying attention to.

My problem with all this is that there's clearly a really deep lack of respect on the part of Mozilla's devs for their users.

Firefox will end up dead. Just the way Google wanted.

FRINGE
May 23, 2003

Geemer posted:

Lol that bug removing the option having every single comment about not wanting it removed hidden and then getting locked. Why even bother having the bug tracker publicly available?

The people running that show are pretty gross.

FRINGE
May 23, 2003

nielsm posted:

Has anyone talked about which supposed usability issue this change was supposed to resolve?

"Im a ~designer~ and i need to do something with all the hours I demand to be paid to doodle on an ipad"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eYvsIenveTY

"comments are turned off"

https://blog.mozilla.org/opendesign/firefox-the-evolution-of-a-brand/

quote:

Tell us. We can take it.

As a living brand, Firefox will never be done. It will continue to evolve as we change and the world changes around us. We have to stretch our brand guidelines even further in the months ahead, so we’re interested in hearing your reaction to what we’ve done so far. Feel free to let us know in the comments below.

FRINGE
May 23, 2003

FRINGE posted:

https://blog.mozilla.org/opendesign/firefox-the-evolution-of-a-brand/

Tell us. We can take it.

As a living brand, Firefox will never be done. It will continue to evolve as we change and the world changes around us. We have to stretch our brand guidelines even further in the months ahead, so we’re interested in hearing your reaction to what we’ve done so far. Feel free to let us know in the comments below.

quote:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eYvsIenveTY

"comments are turned off"
Ended up thinking about that youtube clip again.

If they cant deworm themselves from the b-school parasites siphoning from the top the whole enterprise will finally die.

Which is a shame.

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
For fucks sake I just now realized that these competent shits broke and removed the ability to set a custom new tab page.

Its for "security" that they try and force you to facebook, amazon, and twitter. :rolleyes:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FRINGE
May 23, 2003

astral posted:

Which addons do send all your dick pics to Putin?

I just assumed it was facebook, google, slack, zoom, twitter...