Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003

unruly posted:

Is anyone not seeing any of the site previews in the new tab page?

I'm not seeing any sort of new tab page at all. Might be because of Tab Mix Plus, I guess.

edit: setting new tabs to go to home page in Tab Mix Plus options, and then setting firefox's home page to about :newtab works. Not seeing images in the previews though, they're blank.

edit: grr. scrolling seems choppier/laggier with Yet Another Smooth Scrolling addon, in FF 13.

edit 2:

Is it possible to make Firefox reload tabs from the previous session from cache, instead of downloading them again?

PirateBob fucked around with this message at 23:12 on Jun 6, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003
Anyone else having trouble with sabnzbd in FF13? (usenet app with browser interface)

I'm getting "The address isn't valid" when trying to open [::1]:8080/sabnzbd/

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003

unruly posted:

try localhost instead of IPv6?

That didn't work either, before I edited sabnzbd.ini in appdata and set the value host = 0.0.0.0

now I can get access to the interface by using the localhost address.

But there seems to be something new in FF13 that causes [::1] not to work. :confused:

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003
Anyone else getting lock-ups lately? Firefox has crashed twice for me today. That's the first time it's crashed for me in like 2 years. Could it be the new Flash update?

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003
Anyone else have the problem where TWO new tabs open when you click on a link? (link to different domain)

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003
How do I stop firefox from popping up with update notifications? I've downgraded to 16.02 because of issues with 17.

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003
Is it possible to backup just some of my addons instead of all of them (thinking of using MozBackup) ? I'm installing Firefox on a new system and I need my login data from Secure Login but not a bunch of other crap.

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003
So they've finally started releasing x64 versions. Can I just install that on top of my old 32 bit installation or would I have to export+import extensions, bookmarks etc using MozBackup?

edit:
vvv
whoops, sorry!

edit again:
I've got extensions.checkCompatibility.43.0 set to false in about:config, but after upgrading from x32 to x64, the browser disables some "incompatible" extensions anyway. What gives?

edit:
found a solution: set xpinstall.signatures.required to false.

PirateBob fucked around with this message at 00:56 on Dec 17, 2015

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003
Any way to stop Firefox from bugging me about updating??

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003

fishmech posted:

Change to an ESR version of Firefox.

Thanks.

Avenging Dentist posted:

Alternately, update.

(There are things you can do to stop the check but I'm not about to give people advice on how they can get themselves added to a botnet.)

Any way to get rid of the automatic disabling of "incompatible" addons? Adding extensions.checkCompatibility.xx.0 to about :config didn't work anymore.

edit: or unsigned/unverified extensions, whatever the problem is

PirateBob fucked around with this message at 16:16 on Nov 9, 2016

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003

Fangs404 posted:

I think FF 57 might be a nice opportunity to turn this into a new thread. We're at 206 pages on this one, and 57 is big enough of a chance that it'll probably cause quite the commotion.

[edit]

What happens in 57?

And why won't Pocket work anymore

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003

dont be mean to me posted:

XUL extensions die. People have been threatening to quit Firefox over it. It's kind of a big deal.

Also Pocket's still there.

Mr.Radar posted:

57 is when they roll out their new UI, kill support for "legacy" extensions, and introduce some major performance enhancements (search for Firefox Quantum). It will the biggest change to Firefox at least since they rolled out Australis back in 2014 and arguably since they moved to their current rapid release cycle with Firefox 4 in 2011.

XUL/Legacy extentions being most extentions, right? What's wrong with them? Why would they kill the biggest selling point of the browser?

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003

Avenging Dentist posted:

Because getting rid of a terrible API allows them to make the browser actually perform well on modern machines.

Firefox performs perfectly fine as it is.

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003

Avenging Dentist posted:

You haven't tried 57 have you?

No, and nor do I care to. Don't really care about performance improvements, I like my extensions.

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003
Is there really no way to make Firefox move to the tab to the left when closing a tab?

I tried this add-on: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/select-after-closing-current/

But what happens is that it opens the tab to the right, and THEN moves to the left.

PirateBob fucked around with this message at 13:36 on Sep 14, 2019

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003
Why does Firefox randomly ask me for my master password?

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003

Nalin posted:

You probably have saved login information for that website and you enabled the master password option. Check your saved passwords list.

Tools > Options > Privacy & Security > Logins and Passwords > Saved Logins...

No, this is irrelevant of any websites. Firefox can be idle for 5 minutes and then ask.

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Do you have any logins actually saved using Firefox?

Yes, many.

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003

WattsvilleBlues posted:

May I suggest an alternative? A third party password manager with two factor authentication. I use and like Bitwarden.

How do you know you can trust Bitwarden? :tinfoil:

How does the two factor auth work, a SMS each time you wanna access the list?

Edit: Also, if I switch to a third party like e.g. Bitwarden, is there any way to export/import like a hundred logins?

PirateBob fucked around with this message at 19:37 on Sep 15, 2019

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003

Klyith posted:

You do you, but if you aren't using strong, unique passwords for everything you are tinfoiling yourself into far more insecurity than whatever your paranoid imagination comes up with about password managers. If you can remember them all in your head you are doing passwords wrong in the modern world (or you have rain man memorization ability).

How do the password managers integrate with browsers?

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003
How do I get Firefox to open links that lead off-site in a new tab? Like when clicking search results?

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003

Sab669 posted:

Middle-click?

Yeah, but I want it by default, with left-click.

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003

Thank you, this seems to do the trick.

Also, is there an addon that keeps the tab bar scrolled to the end of the list? So you don't have to keep pressing the right arrow to see the end of your tabs?

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003

Geemer posted:

Just in case you didn't know, your scroll wheel works on the tab bar as well.

Oh, cool, I didn't know that. I still wish they gave you a choice about which end of the list to prioritize showing though.

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003
How can I keep Firefox from hiding tabs on the right when the tab bar is "full" and I'm opening new tabs? I want it to scroll the other way, i.e. hide the leftmost tabs rather than the rightmost tabs.

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003

Klyith posted:

if browser.tabs.loadDivertedInBackground is set to true, the tab bar will not move at all when you open a new tab (and the tab also won't load content until you select it)

if it is set to false, the tab bar will autoscroll to show a new tab you opened

if you have extensions that change tabs, they might be changing where the autoscroll goes

That's not what I mean.

I have new tabs/links opening new tabs set to be opened to the right of the current one.

The problem: If the bar is "full" and I am viewing a tab that isn't all the way to the right, and open a new tab, the rightmost tab(s) (beyond the new one) will be shoved out of view. I want leftmost tabs to be shoved out of view instead.

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003
I'm holding off on updating to 89.

Unfortunately, with the way they've changed user data/extensions/history/logins etc to be tied to your account rather than locally stored, there's probably no way back once you click update. So I can't just make a copy of my firefox folder, try out 89, revert back. :negative:

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003

astral posted:

What? Why not? Does Firefox Sync not work with lower versions or something? I don't mess with the sync stuff, but the process you outlined should work just fine in general, and you'd get the benefit of still having whatever synced stuff available if you had to restore from your backup.

I'm not sure, but last time I tried a couple years ago, the outdated version didn't give me access to my account, because the account and its extensions etc was tied to the newest update or something. :confused:

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003
Is it 'safe' to update, i.e. can I get it to look like what it used to look like, or will I be disappointed no matter how many about:config settings I enable/disable? I'm still on 88.0.1

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003
What are these idiots doing with the Android FF? I'm using the nightly, and after updating the whole tab management is ruined. And the setting for whether to work from the top or the bottom is gone. And it's been divided into active tabs and inactive tabs. When I open the tab screen, it starts me at the bottom, where there are no active tabs. If I go up to the active tabs, the list of inactive tabs is the wrong way, e.g. oldest tabs at the top.

Is there some about:config stuff I can do to remedy this?

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003

Ola posted:

No, but you can use the actual release version instead of an unstable test and development version.

I switched to nightly because the release version had a similar problem, I don't remember what. Guess I'll switch back...

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003
How would I go about migrating to another browser from FF?

I have a ton of logins and history and poo poo that I want to keep.

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003
Just updated FF to the latest (100.0.2) after being on an old version for a couple of years (before the ui changes). How do I make the ui less crap? Less padding etc

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003
Thanks a lot, Nalin and Knormal :cool:

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003
There's a problem with the (Inactive tabs: Separator lines) one. The active tab has both the solid borders showing it's selected *and* a separator line to the left.

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003

Nalin posted:

lol when I said "Potential problems are future updates changing the way the browser is constructed and invalidating some of the changes in userChrome.css", this is what I meant.

It looks like the beforeselected-visible="true" attribute was moved onto the .tabbrowser-tab node. You can fix it with this:

code:
/* Inactive tabs: Separator lines. */
.tabbrowser-tab:not([beforeselected-visible="true"]) .tab-background:not([selected=true]):not([multiselected=true]) {
    border-right: 1px solid rgba(0, 0, 0, .20) !important;
}
[brighttext="true"] .tabbrowser-tab:not([beforeselected-visible="true"]) .tab-background:not([selected=true]):not([multiselected=true]) {
    border-right: 1px solid var(--lwt-selected-tab-background-color, rgba(255, 255, 255, .20)) !important;
}
.tab-background:not([selected=true]):not([multiselected=true]) {
    border-radius: 0 !important;
}

Thanks again :cool:

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003
What happened to the Enhancer for Youtube addon? The one that let you boost volume and change color scheme etc. Seemed to work only sporadically lately, and I can't find it on mozilla's addon site anymore.

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003

:negative: Okay. :thanks:

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003

Klyith posted:

So if all you care about in a VPN is downloading :filez: and dodging region-locks on streaming services, I think you can get better deals.

Any serious :filez: site blocks VPNs though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003
I want a way to change one of Firefox's behaviors:

When my tab bar is "overfilled", which it nearly always is, by that I just mean that it contains more than a few tabs, so that I have to scroll horizontally on it to view some that are pushed off-screen.

I want it to favor the right side of the bar instead of the left. It favors the left by shoving the rightmost tab off-screen when I have a not-rightmost tab selected and open a link/new tab. It shoves tabs off-screen on the right instead of on the left. How do I change that?