Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home

Kild posted:

Thanks, but is there a way to import my addons, browsing history, saved passwords and stuff to my new profile?

e: Nm I didn't see it at the bottom of what you linked me.

e2: Also is there a way to make text bigger without breaking tables?

View > Zoom > Zoom Text Only

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home

~Coxy posted:

Don't forget they'll also spend most of the money on releasing ports of FF for every single lovely Android device.

Well at least that's starting to look like it could maybe pay off, at least on the nightlies where they switched from XUL to a native interface. It's just about as fast as the stock browser now, if not faster at times. It's come a long way from the alphas that took 20+ seconds to load and had godawful text rendering. Once they get addons back in I'm definitely switching over from Dolphin.

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home
If you're having responsiveness issues, you can always try disabling writing the cache to disk in favor of RAM. In my experience it alleviates nearly all the stuttering and lagging.

http://lifehacker.com/5687850/speed-up-firefox-by-moving-your-cache-to-ram-no-ram-disk-required

The drawbacks are linked in the post; slower plugin loading maybe, less cache, and a year ago they said caching will be smarted to use the disk less though I have no idea if anything's come of it. I just know if Firefox is slowing down on a computer and compacting the databases doesn't fix it, this usually does.

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home

Mister Roboto posted:

Anyone else having youtube buffering issues?

It's not the audio, just the video that's choppy with heavy animation.

Usually, even when the video is still loading, i.e. the grey bar is halfway, the video loads fine. You can watch it and fastforward all around the pre-loaded part. But recently it's been choppy.

This isn't a cpu issue, I tested the same video in opera and it was nice and smooth. It's just in firefox on youtube.

It must be SOMEthing that's changed, but what?

Is it HTML5 video or flash

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home
Tab Mix Plus can protect tabs, and let you spergingly tweak them to your heart's consent
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/tab-mix-plus

I haven't used gestures in years but looks like FireGestures is still the popular choice
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/firegestures/

For sharing I use Firefox Share straight from Mozilla Labs
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/firefox-share-alpha/

If you like the page advancing from Opera try Space Next
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/space-next/

For privacy/security check out Beef Taco
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/beef-taco-targeted-advertising/
and
HTTPS Everywhere
https://www.eff.org/https-everywhere

If you have an Android device, FoxToPhone can send links/text to it like Chrome does
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/foxtophone/

Chilled Milk fucked around with this message at 12:56 on Mar 8, 2012

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home

Question Mark Mound posted:

^^^ Great list of extensions, thanks! :)
Isn't Firefox Share the one that'll bookmark every link you share? Plus I think I gave it a quick go yesterday and it didn't let me remove a link from a tweet if I felt like changing the URL or just posting a tweet without a link. Not a huge deal, I guess.

Yeah I don't really plan on having much, I just fancy having adblock, mouse gestures and quick tweet/facebook as my necessary ones. Anything else will be purely optional depending on how handy I find it vs how much it slows stuff down.

edit: Oh, one more thing I noticed that I couldn't find built-in. Being able to auto-complete forms on websites asking for my name/address was awesome in Opera and Chrome.
Yeah Share has some quirks, just none that ever bothered me from finding a replacement, since it's lightweight and generally works well enough.

Autofill forms:
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/autofill-forms/

Automatic backup/recovery of form text:
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/lazarus-form-recovery/

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home

neamp posted:

I don't know, I just tried it again on a laptop, new Profile in Firefox only one tab open with the offending site. Left it open a few minutes, average (60 seconds) CPU load was 7,4%, not spikes every few seconds but constant load. Max CPU frequency was also staying up close to 50%.
For comparison, Chrome settled at <0.10% average CPU usage, frequency also remained down at 31%.
IE did a lot worse than when I tried it on my desktop though, also using up a constant 3%, which wasn't enough to significantly step up the CPU frequency though, which stayed at 33% max.
It has nothing to do with Javascript, disabling it gets the same results, I think it might have to do with the number and size of images on a page. On a very large page without images I tried just now, even with 10 other tabs on in the background FF uses only half a percent of CPU capacity, but if I switch to some other tab with images it immediately goes up to a few percent and stays there.
I know I'm :spergin: here a bit, but it annoys me, because I feel Firefox used to be a whole lot less CPU hungry and Chrome shows how much better you can do.

gently caress, I just tried the forum's smiley page and it pretty much maxes out a core and makes Firefox totally unresponsive, if you right-click the page the menu is VERY laggy.
Meanwhile Chrome stays perfectly responsive. IE performs even better than Chrome here, using just 3% of the CPU and being totally lag-free.
Goddamnit, Firefox, what happend? You used to be cool...

My experience has been the opposite, with Chrome absorbing any and all resources it could and Firefox being relatively tame. Just a single animated gif in Chrome would kick the laptop fans on and scrolling becomes a herculean task.

Of course if you want the slimmest browser Opera is over yonder.

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home
Google has been improving WebM (both in hardware and software) and at its best it comes pretty close to h264, but they haven't done a whole lot to push it, aside from optionally supporting it on YouTube. The whole thing is a big hairy mess if you havent been following it.

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home

Scoobi posted:

Has anyone noticed tab navigation for having lots of tabs (such that some are hidden) has become butts in firefox 11? On 10 the navigation is fluid, I click the left arrow the tab view moves left... right it moves right. On 11 its loving choppy, and literally doesn't move all the way to the end/beginning of a row unless I'm at fullscreen, thus rendering the point of it useless!

What the gently caress did they do to my tabs :mad:

I rolled back to Firefox 10 because it was driving me crazy (I deal with a lot of tabs due to research)

I'm on 12 beta and it's as smooth as it ever was

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home

Unmerciful posted:

Can anyone help me out with this? Because it's getting to be a little frustrating...

Only if you tell me how you got iTunes to use 1/10 of what it uses on my system

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home
They really strive for the design to match the content. I consider it a feature, ever since they launched that godawful webapp design I haven't even been tempted to go over there.

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home

Axiem posted:

I have Adblock Plus, and want to use it more forcefully to keep from loading scripts and crap that slow down webpages I go to (many of which so far seem to be tracking networks in some incarnation). Is there an addon that will somehow or another tell me what parts of a page that's loading are taking longer?

The EasyPrivacy filter subscription does a decent job of blocking a lot of the tracking/social networking crap.

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home
Anyone know what's up with Lightning? There's been no updates for it to work in Earlybird for a while now. For a while there I was living the dream of having email, calendar, and irc/im in one app. Stuff I use enough to not want to leave running in the browser all day but not enough to warrant their own apps really. It was fugly and felt kludgy as hell as Thunderbird is wont to be, but it worked.

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home

Lord of Sword posted:

All the alternatives I've tried don't have image resizing (diagonal drag resizes an image bigger or smaller or hides it completely). It's only one feature but I'm so used to it being there and it's the one I use most.

I use Image Zoom for this, hold down right mouse and the wheel zooms in. Not exactly the gesture but it works.
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/image-zoom/?src=userprofile

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home

pipes! posted:

Is there a way to permanently disable the Add-on Bar? I'm sick of installing an Add-on, then having it corrupt my profile, permanently showing up with new windows and having to close each instance manually ever time.

I'm synching Add-ons between three machines, if that helps any.

If you remove all the buttons out of it it shouldn't show up.

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home

law abiding rapist posted:

Nope, that works fine. It's just the YT player that makes it freeze for a second. It also causes the browser to resize when leaving full screen. The context menu is also covered by the default firefox one.

I blame Google and just turned off the HTML5 player for now. It isn't worth the trouble even though it was working fine a few weeks ago.

Yeah it's definitely on YouTube's end. I started getting stalled JS warnings on HTML5 videos last week maybe. Had to turn off the HTML5 beta for now.

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home

The Third Man posted:

This has bothered me for a long time, but is there some extension or hotkey to move the focus of my cursor out of embedded content(youtube video, pdf, etc) and back to my main browser window?

Related: Why does flash/youtube intercept my keyboard volume controls and then not even use them to adjust the widget's volume. Whenever I need to change volume while watching one I always have to click out of it first

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home

Question Mark Mound posted:

I thought the top was only filled with tabs if you have Firefox maximised?

This is true. Stratiform is the easiest way to change that. I know it did lose my settings once randomly, reverting things back, maybe the same happened to him
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-us/firefox/addon/stratiform/

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home
Speaking of Sync. I don't suppose there's an RSS reader extension that also works on mobile and Syncs settings/read items? I should probably just switch to feedly.

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home

This is a loss for the handful of people with Surfaces if it ran on RT, which I'm not too sure it did. But yeah it's clear Metro isn't going anywhere besides away.

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home
What's the best way to sync FF to iOS?

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home

AlmightyBob posted:

Before

After

On reupgrading it moved the bookmark button back down to where it was before, but now the home button is where the back button was.

Either something got borked on your profile or you just need to customize your buttons back in place

Edit: oh i see, the back/forward buttons are now seemingly locked to the addressbar.

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home

AlmightyBob posted:

The back button is PART of the address bar, you can't move it. I'd have to move everything over to the right side now...

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/classicthemerestorer/?src=search

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home

biznatchio posted:

Anyone who's used JavascrIpt already knew Brendan Eich has a very broken idea of equality.

:rimshot:

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home
On the windows version of australis is it supposed to have this weird gray muddying with the system window color in the tab bar? It seems to be a part of the default persona, goes away when I switch to a different one, but I'd prefer to keep the default. I don't know why but it's particularly distracting and ugly to me.

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home
Australis is good, mostly, in my opinion, thank you.

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home
Seems like Google is paying a lot of developers to cram a Chrome bundle in their installer these days.

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home

HalloKitty posted:

DDG as the default would be something I could get behind, it's been my default for a long time.

That black theme

The recent revamp really made it a lot more useful.

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home
Anyone know of an add-on that makes find-in-page as nice as Safari's? Dims the page and puts a big yellow bubble around matches so practically blind people like me can see them more easily.

Knormal posted:

I'm on Firefox 31 on Linux, and for the last month or so the upload files function on imgur hasn't worked. Clicking the "browse your computer" option, which used to pop up a file selection dialog box, does nothing, and if I try the drag-and-drop option it shows a thumbnail of the image but then fails when I try to start the actual upload. Other web interfaces with file upload dialog boxes (i.e the WiFi File Explorer page my phone generates) continue to work fine.

I tried a new profile and that made the file selection dialog work again, so it's something in my profile, but I really don't want to have to recreate my profile from scratch just for this. The problem still happens if I start in safe mode, so I don't think it's an add-on. Trying to Google the problem just brings up a bunch of results for imgur add-ons which I don't want to install. Anyone have any ideas?

Have you tried just resetting your profile? It preserves history, bookmarks, cookies, etc. but clears out the behind the scenes junk.
https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/reset-firefox-easily-fix-most-problems

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home

xamphear posted:

Adjusted to match reality.

Because Chrome doesn't need any stinkin addons to gobble up all the memory :rimshot:

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home

hooah posted:

How can I remove a domain from the suggestions in the URL bar if it doesn't show up in the list? I often go to a domain for my school that starts with fa, but when I go there, I type the course number, which brings up the right URL. However, I've gone there so many times recently that when I want to go to facebook, the URL bar brings up the other one first, so I can't just type fa and hit enter. I know that normally I'd highlight the offending entry and hit delete, but when the entry appears in the URL bar rather than in the suggestion list, this doesn't seem to work.

I would guess deleting that site from your history would work. Or adding Facebook as a bookmark so it has higher priority

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home

Avenging Dentist posted:

You literally just push a button to get the old theme.

What if I want the developer theme in regular firefox? Doesn't look like it's a regular theme under addons. I haven't had a chance to dig in the actual files yet though

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home
The only area I've found DDG to be appreciably worse than google is searching exact phrases like quotes or code snippets; and maybe images. For just general searching it's on par or better with a cleaner feel.

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home

Freakazoid_ posted:

I just noticed pdf.js no longer works with 35.0.1. Is there an alternative or do I have to go back to using adobe reader?

If in not mistaken it's just built in now, you don't need the addon

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home

Xinlum posted:

So I got my frog back by just copying my old profile actually. I just saw your post. However now Firefox refuses to stay logged in to any website. I think this has something to do with the old cookie manager plug-in I removed. Any help?

Check your privacy settings and make sure you're accepting cookies

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home

wanda posted:

Chromium's better dev tools.

What do you find better about them? Because I ran the other way, especially with Firefox DE letting me easily partition work and personal loving around

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home

FRINGE posted:

I stopped telling "normal" users to use Firefox. Its a high-maintenance pain in the rear end now, and the first time they cant get webmail of facebook to work correctly theyre just going to get angry.

Thanks for sharing ?

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home
Flash is at the point where you can treat it like cable TV. If you take the step to get rid of it, you realize how little you need it anymore

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home

Avenging Dentist posted:

Yeah, but Javascript is a bad language.

This cannot be stressed enough

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,