Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pokecapn
Oct 17, 2003

yeah, galo sengen

Fangs404 posted:

Yeah, same thing. I really really want tabs as separate processes. In fact, if I had it my way, I'd tell the FF dev team to stop everything they're doing, and only work on tabs as separate processes. I think it's that important. Web pages are getting more and more JS-heavy, and a really complicated page can lock up the entire browser for a second or 2. Looking at individual tabs, I don't think there's really a speed difference anymore between Chrome and FF, but looking at the browser as a whole, Chrome is definitely faster since one tab loading won't hold up the others.

You don't need separate processes to do that, firefox's UI thread just likes to lock up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pokecapn
Oct 17, 2003

yeah, galo sengen

WattsvilleBlues posted:

I have awful problems with Firefox responsiveness. I think Adblock Plus causes most of them though. I can't even watch YouTube anymore without pauses every few seconds.

It's definitely some other extension, or possibly live bookmarks / RSS feeds refreshing if you have a ton of them. You can check out this list but I don't think it's all that exhaustive.

pokecapn
Oct 17, 2003

yeah, galo sengen

MachinTrucChose posted:

Actually, it did! Same video now using zero CPU when paused, and it plays fine. Thanks.

Weird that I didn't already have it, Flash is configured to check for updates automatically, but I had to get it manually from Adobe's site.

It checks for updates automatically, but only lets you know if they're available right after you log in after rebooting.

pokecapn
Oct 17, 2003

yeah, galo sengen

Mr.Radar posted:

Also, it's generally a good idea to keep Aero enabled so you can take advantage of hardware accelerated desktop graphics on Windows Vista/7.

Yeah, and if the transparency irks you, you can dive into Personalize your computer -> Window color and disable it. You could even tweak the color sliders to look like Basic if you like that color!

pokecapn
Oct 17, 2003

yeah, galo sengen
November 20th

pokecapn
Oct 17, 2003

yeah, galo sengen
How do I get Firefox to remember all of my history instead of not quite a year's worth?

pokecapn
Oct 17, 2003

yeah, galo sengen

pseudorandom name posted:

The combined total number of stored history entries and bookmarks is limited to a dynamically calculated value based on your memory and disk space.

This value is stored in places.history.expiration.transient_current_max_pages

You can override it by storing a value in places.history.expiration.max_pages

Thanks. I don't know why I would possibly care, but something just feels right about being able to call up a page from 3 years ago

pokecapn
Oct 17, 2003

yeah, galo sengen

Fangs404 posted:

What issues? A better solution is to fix the problems than pretend they don't exist.

I don't program Firefox extensions and I shouldn't be expected to.

pokecapn
Oct 17, 2003

yeah, galo sengen

Install Gentoo posted:

What is the best extension for forcing a page to allow the browser to save username and password? The library system I use has the whatever thing set so firefox won't remember the password and I want to get past that.
You can use Firebug (or probably the built-in web developer tools) to search the source for autocomplete="off" attributes, then remove those live on the page. Firefox should then ask to remember you password that time around, and it'll populate on future visits.

pokecapn
Oct 17, 2003

yeah, galo sengen

Eikre posted:

For some reason, all videos on Youtube are showing up left-justified instead of inline with description and comments. Ugly as hell.

Is this a known/fixable problem?

Are you sure you aren't using some Greasemonkey script or "Youtube improver" addon?

pokecapn
Oct 17, 2003

yeah, galo sengen
Anyone have any RSS reader suggestions? I may have to come to grips with the fact that infoRSS might not get updated for 29. Anything using browser history like RSS Ticker is no good because I have a couple of feeds that use the same URL for new entries.

pokecapn
Oct 17, 2003

yeah, galo sengen
Just jumped from 35 to 38. Was there some sort of about:config setting I needed to tweak to turn off the ad tiles in upcoming versions, or is setting the new tab page to blank good enough?

pokecapn
Oct 17, 2003

yeah, galo sengen
If you want to turn off the completely ridiculous fade effect on fullscreening video, the about:config setting is not browser.fullscreen.animate, it's full-screen-api.transition-duration.enter and full-screen-api.transition-duration.leave. Set both of them to 0 0.

pokecapn
Oct 17, 2003

yeah, galo sengen

jeeves posted:

The SA forum style changed in like... Jan 1st 2015? 2014? I can't remember, but I installed Stylish or Greasemonkey to make the forum style look like the pre-change one. Now something changed and it has reverted to the lovely new style. I've been using these forums since 2001 so I don't like the new style OKAY?

Anyone remember what was the original thread that had the style change tweaks?

Edit the grease monkey script you're using to point to 'forums2.css' instead of 'forums.css'. As far as I can tell that's the only thing that changed this month

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pokecapn
Oct 17, 2003

yeah, galo sengen
What do people use for mouse/rocker gestures in Quantum? I think that's just about the only thing I use regularly that hasn't been converted to WebExtensions in some shape or form.