Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Siliziumleben
Dec 4, 2003

The scientists' findings were astounding! They discovered that the powers of the Metroid might be harnessed for the good of civilization!

SgtSteel91 posted:

I've been trying out Mozilla VPN, and sometimes it feels like my internet is slower with it turned on?

Is it the VPN, or just my normal internet being lovely?

Sounds like this is something you can easily check yourself? Do an internet speed check (using e.g. fast.com) with the VPN on, and one with the VPN turned off, and compare the results.*

For what it's worth, I also use Mullvad's VPN service (which is what the "Mozilla VPN" is really just reselling) and I do sometimes get slightly slower speeds with it than without. Not really on the level where it's noticable during daily browsing, though.

* I should note that internet speed tests give you a look at your download and upload rate, but not other factors that might contribute to perceived "internet slowness", such as DNS resolution time. I'm not sure what the easiest way to check something like that would be, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Siliziumleben
Dec 4, 2003

The scientists' findings were astounding! They discovered that the powers of the Metroid might be harnessed for the good of civilization!

dis astranagant posted:

They're going to have to remove the code that bypasses youtube's rolling cipher so the repo will be pretty much useless.

Can't someone, y'know, just fork it and put it back in?

Siliziumleben
Dec 4, 2003

Klyith posted:

don't use Stylish, it's owned by adware shitheads.

The non-shithead-operated replacement for Stylish is Stylus, in case you're wondering.

Siliziumleben
Dec 4, 2003

actionjackson posted:

is there an extension (or option for an extension) that will block certain domains from showing up in (duckduckgo) search results? I hate amazon, and of course any product i want to look for gives me 90% amazon links

I'm a long-timer user of Google Hit Hider by Domain, which despite its name also supports other search engines such as DuckDuckGo. It's frankly one of the extensions userscripts I can't live without, since it allows me to send all the blatantly-mirroring-content-from-StackOverflow websites which regularly show up in my search results to the void.

Siliziumleben fucked around with this message at 09:21 on Apr 3, 2022

Siliziumleben
Dec 4, 2003

that question came up earlier in the thread so I'm just gonna quote myself

actionjackson posted:

is there an extension (or option for an extension) that will block certain domains from showing up in (duckduckgo) search results? I hate amazon, and of course any product i want to look for gives me 90% amazon links

Siliziumleben posted:

I'm a long-timer user of Google Hit Hider by Domain, which despite its name also supports other search engines such as DuckDuckGo. It's frankly one of the extensions userscripts I can't live without, since it allows me to send all the blatantly-mirroring-content-from-StackOverflow websites which regularly show up in my search results to the void.

Siliziumleben
Dec 4, 2003

On the topic of Twitter, is there an extension/script that makes muting and blocking someone from the Twitter web UI a single-click action, skipping any menu-ing and confirmation dialogs?

I'm used to blocking people at the speed of light from Better TweetDeck, but who knows how long that'll remain available 😔

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Siliziumleben
Dec 4, 2003

CPfT does skip the confirmation dialog, but you still need to click on the "more" menu first, so it's not quite one-click. Still, going from three clicks to two clicks is an improvement, so thanks for the rec!