Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Is there a replacement for Context Search that will work with e10s? I've emailed the developer to see if he plans an update but he just ignores me.

I don't use that sort of addon, but does 'Context Search X' do the same thing? That one looks like it's actively updated.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

astral
Apr 26, 2004

fishmech posted:

I use X-Notifier for an extension that lets me have like 4 different emails checked, and which makes it easy to open tabs for multiple gmail accounts without having to sign in and out. But the guy hasn't gotten it signed and at some point that's going to be an issue. Is there either a way to sign someone else's XPI yourself, or another extension to replicate the functionality? The way it makes it so you don't have to sign in and out is that it opens tabs with different sets of cookies available.

If it's hosted on AMO it should be automatically signed; otherwise you can submit it to AMO for signing. It looks like it's already there, though?

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Boris Galerkin posted:

Should I be using uBlock Origin or Ghostery? I don't really know which is better.

I'd recommend uBlock Origin + enabling Firefox's tracking protection (privacy.trackingprotection.enabled in about :config).

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Nate RFB posted:

OK, this is bothering me enough that I feel compelled to ask. At work which requires that I use a certain version of Firefox ESR (38.6.0 at the moment) I am able to see embedded tweets on SA. Yet at home with the latest (44 something?) it doesn't work. I was going to try a nightly and maybe even find an installer to roll it back to 38 to test it at home but is there something glaringly obvious I might be missing that is preventing it from working on 44?

Sounds like you might have tracking protection enabled. Click the shield in the address bar, disable for this site.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Klyith posted:

Google cache, but it seems to me that the addon was signed? Mozilla doesn't have the staff to do real security testing of all the stuff coming in, is the problem. The forced signing system is just gonna make that worse. There will be more submissions in the pipe to look at, and the bad actors will concentrate on getting malware through the signing process.

Centralized security only works if the authority is close to flawless, and I just don't see Mozilla having the resources.

That extension was signed, but from what I understand it fetched some resources remotely and saved them to a hard drive with paths provided by the remote resource. These disabled signing and downloaded an evil (likely unsigned, given that it flipped the signing pref) extension. Once signing is enforced, the evil extension would have had to get signed too, but the signing validator ought to catch most of the evil stuff.

quote:

To which their long-term solution is to get rid of those capabilities entirely and reduce firefox down to a bad copy of chrome, because that is gonna get them market share back for some reason. Ugh.

If you're talking about Webextensions, they're intended to be a superset.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

lightinwater posted:

See all this self-congratulation about how compulsory signing means this exact thing can no longer happen rings hollow to me. An addon was signed that wasn't even subtle in editing Firefox config files to the end users detriment. Now I am mostly ignorant of the exact capabilities of Firefox addons and it may be that addon signing will stop the only vector for bad actors who've managed to get their addon signed, but i doubt it

Not sure what self-congratulation you're talking about, but it is true that in this particular case mandatory addon signing would have prevented the second, more evil addon from being executed.

It's certainly a failure that the first addon was able to download arbitrary files to arbitrary paths all specified in a remote resource to begin with - listed addons are supposed to undergo a thorough review, but it slipped past whomever was responsible for reviewing it. I suspect the incident will lead to some improvements in the process.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Alereon posted:

This right here is why I get so drat annoyed when I see people suggesting disabling hardware acceleration as part of troubleshooting, it's just creating mysterious issues for people down the road.

I think people just need to understand it's not really meant to be a solution in and of itself, but more of a stage in the troubleshooting like "Okay, now that we know there is a problem exposed by the hardware acceleration, we can try to figure out what's causing it."

e: And, yes, in rare cases it can be the only workaround.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

hooah posted:

That didn't work. Was that supposed to go in the filters or rules? I put it in rules.

It should go under "My Filters".

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Gorilla Salad posted:

I watch a vine once in a blue moon, but still hate having to crack open Chrome to do it.

Thankfully the set media.mediasource.mp4.enabled to false worked right away for me.

Now I'm hoping it doesn't end up causing something weird in the long run like disabling hardware acceleration.

You will likely have some youtube issues with that setting disabled, specifically not being able to watch in 480p or 1080p.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Filox posted:

Firefox 45.0.1.

I just ditched NoScript and Ghostery this week and installed uBlock Origin and uMatrix. They're working out all right, except for one little problem.

When viewing threads on this forum, a linked image will load only once, in it's original post. If that post is subsequently quoted, the image will not be displayed in the quote, while still being displayed in the original post if that post is on the same page. (Scroll up to original post, image; scroll down to quoting, blank space. Any text from the original post shows just fine in quotes.)

Nothing wrong with the images. They load in the post of origin. If I open page source and find the link, I can copy/paste and open the images just fine in a new tab.

It's happening on both computers where I'm using Firefox 45.0.1 and I never saw this happen till I installed uBlock and uMatrix.

Anybody know what's causing it and how to persuade Firefox to display images when they are quoted?

edit for clarity

Sounds like you might be blocking some forums javascript.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Boris Galerkin posted:

I turned on plugins.click_to_play in about :config because I was tired of lovely websites autoplaying their lovely video advertisements in the background (seriously why is this a thing). The side effect I've noticed is now my Netflix doesn't autoplay the next episodes of whatever show I'm watching. It's pretty lovely when I'm watching Netflix not at my desk and I have to get up out of bed to hit the space bar twice.

Is there a native way to whitelist websites or a better plugin that can do this?

Are you running Windows 8.1 or higher? If so, the Netflix Metro app or IE11 is the best way to watch Netflix - other browsers don't get to stream 1080p video from Netflix.

Other than that, perhaps you can solve your original problem (lovely ads) with an ad blocker like uBlock Origin.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Boris Galerkin posted:

Windows 10. By IE11 do you mean Edge or is that a separate thing altogether?

I do use uBlock Origin but it doesn't block video ads from automatically playing. (Also I started using the prebaked filter to get rid of these EU cookie warnings, but this ends up breaking a lot of websites).

IE11 is differrent from Edge, but Edge supports 1080p netflix too and is a fine alternative for watching it.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Gorilla Salad posted:

Yeah, Imgur has changed some poo poo on their site and it won't work at all.

I've been going through different image uploaders and they mostly seem to be horrible janky crap which freeze up your computer for thirty seconds every time you use them.

I've been trying NativeShot and it does work but has too many features. I just wanted right-click upload no worries.

Do I understand correctly that you just want an addon that adds a right-click option on all sites' images to rehost them on imgur? I'm really surprised this doesn't exist already.

e: Now I see that the imgur one you're talking about did screenshots too.

astral fucked around with this message at 20:35 on Apr 4, 2016

astral
Apr 26, 2004

"Rehost images" seems to be actively updated, is that one of the broken ones or did it have a different problem?

E: Ahh I see, the nonworking one did screenshots.

astral fucked around with this message at 20:36 on Apr 4, 2016

astral
Apr 26, 2004

I looked into the Imgur Uploader thing a little more. Judging by the archived addons page it looks like it was at least semi-official from imgur: http://web.archive.org/web/20151106150712/https://addons.mozilla.org/EN-us/firefox/addon/imgur-uploader/

I asked around and one of the addons.mozilla.org guys checked and said the listing was removed by the addon's devs, and he wasn't sure if they had plans for new versions.

Their old support mail was support@imgur.com so it might be worth an e-mail asking what happened to the Firefox Imgur Uploader addon and what their plans for it are.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

:toot: Google's Widevine EME Content Decryption Module is slated for Firefox 47.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Explain this for the layperson please.

Firefox will be able to watch more DRM-protected videos without requiring full plugins (like Flash). Content providers' restrictions on resolutions/bitrates available to Firefox due to lack of supported DRM ought to relax, too.

I can't find a good current list of content providers that use Widevine but at least in the past the list seems to have included:
  • Netflix
  • Vudu
  • Blockbuster
  • Amazon Prime
  • Showtime Anytime

astral
Apr 26, 2004

From Mozilla's blog:

quote:

As we previously announced, Mozilla has been working to enable playback of HTML5 video content that requires DRM. Last year, we launched with Adobe’s Primetime CDM and now we will soon be testing Firefox support for Google’s Widevine CDM on Windows and Mac OS X. Firefox will download the CDM shortly after users first run Firefox after installing or upgrading. The CDM will be activated when users first interact with a site that uses Widevine.

Widevine support is an alternative solution for streaming services that currently rely on Silverlight for playback of DRM-protected video content. It will allow websites to show DRM-protected video content in Firefox without the use of NPAPI plugins. This is an important step on Mozilla’s roadmap to remove NPAPI plugin support.

The Widevine CDM runs in an open-source CDM sandbox in Firefox, providing better user security than NPAPI plugins.

Geemer posted:

Then what good is that "Primetime Content Decryption Module provided by Adobe Systems, Incorporated" that Firefox installs automatically?

That's for Adobe's Primetime DRM. Many content providers are using that already - Netflix's HTML5 player on Firefox is protected by that, for example.

Other DRM schemes are out there like Microsoft's PlayReady and Apple's FairPlay, but I think it's unlikely we'd see those come to Firefox.

astral fucked around with this message at 21:47 on Apr 13, 2016

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Sir Unimaginative posted:

What's even the point of an HTML5 EME standard if everyone's married to their own different flavor of it?

Think of EME as a more focused and restricted plugin API than the old NPAPI used by Flash, Silverlight, etc. It's there for one very specific purpose - to allow third-party content decryption modules (CDMs) to decode protected media. The big bonus is EME doesn't give them anywhere near the same level of privileges previously available to flash/silverlight, so you can enjoy DRM-protected content without also enjoying the ludicrous number of exploits etc.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Echophonic posted:

I'm having an issue with Firefox security. Some sites (notably DriveThruRPG's login page) just refuse to load and Firefox complains about the secure connection failing. A friend suggested I check out Runescape Chronicle (some card game) and that site doesn't load, either. Those are the only two offhand, but I get it for other sites occasionally.

I'm running 45.0.2 with very few plugins, since it's a fresh install after a Windows 10 upgrade. Nothing that interacts with page content besides uBlock Origin. I'm just using Windows Defender for AV and, as implied, a clean install of Windows didn't help the issue. All this stuff works fine in Chrome, so I'm reasonably sure it's Firefox. Any thoughts? Googling has been entirely unhelpful.

Please post the error message you're getting.

Are your time and date set correctly? Though I imagine that would break it on Chrome, too.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Echophonic posted:

Yeah, time and date's correct, that was one of the things I saw as a potential issue. I just tried it on someone else's computer and it works fine, so I guess it's something to do with my machine.

Here's what I get on rschronicle, it's the same on DriveThru. Doesn't even give me the option to inspect the certificate.

You can inspect the certificate by visiting:
code:
chrome://pippki/content/exceptionDialog.xul 
and pasting in the URL that isn't working: https://www.rschronicle.com/

Please post a screenshot of the certificate viewer window's general tab. :)

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Echophonic posted:

Nothing comes up. It won't even pull the cert to complain about it. Really strange. I appreciate the help looking into this, by the way.

Interesting. Can you see if you have a non-default (the default is 3) setting in about :config for security.tls.version.max?

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Echophonic posted:

Looks like it was set to 1. I reset it and now it looks like stuff's working. I have no idea why it would have been set like that, I certainly don't remember doing it. Thanks!

Great! Since you aren't sure about why that happened, it might also be worth a moment to check https://www.howsmyssl.com/ (which I just learned about, else I'd have suggested it sooner) and see if it has any complaints.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

stop enabling
code:
 layers.offmainthreadcomposition.testing.enabled
it breaks things does not do anything anymore

astral fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Apr 27, 2016

astral
Apr 26, 2004

actually my reply was a little out-of-date, I looked into it again and it sounds like it doesn't break things anymore because it doesn't do anything at all. It was used for automated testing with different configurations. The preference is removed entirely in Firefox 47+.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Lum posted:

Is NPAPI actually now deprecated on Linux then?

I installed Fresh Player which is an NPAPI->PPAPI wrapper that lets me use Chrome's pepper flash, then I tried to install pipelight so that I could use Silverlight. The former is showing up but not the latter.

not afaik, but if it's any consolation, Widevine is getting included in 47 so you should see fewer things still wanting Silverlight

astral
Apr 26, 2004

RZApublican posted:

So I may have messed up a while ago and deleted my Firefox DRM plugin. Is there a way to get it back? Google isn't showing me any downloads, just ways to uninstall it. I'm currently using Firefox 47, if this helps, but it was already uninstalled at least when I was using Firefox 45.

edit: Although this may not actually be important, as I can't seem to figure out if Widevine CDM is actually installed or not. Is there a way to check if it is? Because if it is, I don't need the old DRM plugin.

I imagine a fresh install should bring it back if it's missing. Primetime (CDM for Adobe DRM) and Widevine (CDM for Google DRM) would show up under the "Plugins" tab of the addons manager.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

RZApublican posted:

I just upgraded to Firefox 47 (via direct from FTP, granted), and it's not in the Plugins tab. It seems like it's working, because I can watch Netflix and entries for Widevine being enabled appear in about :config, but the rest is baffling me. Both the Adobe plugin and Widevine DLLs are in the profile folder, which only adds to the confusion.

I would like to avoid wiping the slate clean and starting over, if possible.

Well, you could check if they're listed in a new profile.

Other than that, you could probably test your current one with something on Amazon's streaming service - if it plays something but doesn't ask you to use Silverlight, you've got Widevine. Their help docs suggest this free video as a test: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00DU71GY4/

astral
Apr 26, 2004

RZApublican posted:

Ironically, it seems that the Adobe DRM is needed for Netflix, but Netflix won't recognize and use Widevine. Which sucks, because Widevine is needed for 1080p.

I was under the impression that Netflix only supports 1080p in browsers with PlayReady (Microsoft's DRM, available in IE11/Edge).

edit: or Apple's FairPlay (Safari on OSX)

reference: https://help.netflix.com/en/node/23742

astral fucked around with this message at 01:42 on Jun 7, 2016

astral
Apr 26, 2004

fishmech posted:

Since upgrading to Firefox 47, it's doing this thing where the only tabs that load up after reopening the browser are the tab in focus in each window. What about :config thing do I have to toggle to get it to load all of them?

Firefox 47 release notes posted:

The browser.sessionstore.restore_on_demand preference has been reset to its default value (true) to avoid e10s performance problems. Because faster is better!

astral
Apr 26, 2004

UntunedGuitar47 posted:

Also wtf?! They remove the "ask me every time" option for cookies?! GODDAMNIT! :bahgawd:

I thought something seemed odd lately. I, too, was one of the fans of that feature, and had used it since I started using Firefox. Apparently it broke some session storage things and could cause crashes.

refs: https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=606655
https://groups.google.com/forum/?fromgroups=&hl=en#!topic/firefox-dev/3mnR3ZTGSFU

Is there an addon that closely replaces it yet?

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Klyith posted:

I like cookie controller. It's just a simple UI for managing your exceptions list.

Maybe it's just the excessive heat but those screenshots and description make it sound anything but simple. Six different toolbar buttons? :aaa:

quote:

Personally, I never used the "ask me every time" even back when it worked, because there are a billion domains on the internet that will try to make cookies. Trying to decide on all of them is kinda futile. I find that the sane way to deal with it is to default to "keep until close" and whitelist sites that I want to keep logins or shopping carts or whatev they're cookie-ing.

I've been setting cookie permissions that way for so long that I rarely saw the popup anymore, to the point where when they took away the option I didn't even notice until someone mentioned it. Nowadays though I think a default deny policy with a simple cookie exception UI-providing addon would work for me, so thanks for the suggestion! I'll look into it more closely when I don't feel like I'm boiling alive.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Avenging Dentist posted:

It's really only three; the other three are just variants of the first set.

That's a little better! It looks like three are menu versions and three are button versions of the same thing - something they could have designed much more simply. It looks like two of the three remaining wouldn't be necessary for my use case, so in practice it would be far simpler than it appears at first glance.

Thanks for the clarification.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Zero The Hero posted:

I like to use the search engine alias in Firefox (i.e. typing "a productname" searches amazon for "productname", or "e productname" searches ebay for "productname"), but it won't work on champion.gg because their search field isn't really a search. Even so, I could get it to alias properly on Chrome. Anyone happen to know of a workaround for Firefox?

You can make it yourself; it's just a special bookmark: http://kb.mozillazine.org/Using_keyword_searches#Creating_bookmarks_with_keywords

astral
Apr 26, 2004

I have a very dramatic complaint: Firefox has started bothering me in the awesomebar to turn search suggestions back on and, quite frankly, I do not like it. I have had search suggestions off for years and I'm not at all interested in changing this setting.

astral fucked around with this message at 02:30 on Aug 10, 2016

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Powered Descent posted:

Firefox has gotten horrifically slow for me lately, to the point of being unusable. I'm pretty sure it wasn't just me, since it happened on both my clunky old Linux box at home and on my very nice Macbook Pro at work, and blowing away and re-creating the profile didn't help. I had actually switched over to Chromium, which I hate but at least it worked.

But today I tried out Pale Moon, and holy poo poo it feels like being able to breathe again. It's the Firefox I knew and loved way back when, as far back as when it was called Phoenix. There's no australis, no extra bullshit, it's lean and fast, and it still has all the options that have gradually dried up and blown away on regular Firefox over the years. Most of my preferred extensions work great, though for a few of them I needed to install an older version, and others needed a special Pale Moon port: 'Encrypted Web' instead of HTTPS Everywhere, and 'Guerilla Scripting' instead of Greasemonkey. And other extensions weren't needed at all, like Classic Theme Restorer. But the extensions thing is the only hoop I had to jump through. Everything else just works right out of the box.

I'm hooked. Firefox is back, and it's on the Moon.

On the other hand, Firefox itself is pretty speedy already and the upcoming electrolysis aka multi-process Firefox (something which explicitly is not going to be added to pale moon) is going to make that even better, australis was a great step for development because it enabled sane toolbar/widget code, and they're making it possible to disable system extensions like pocket soon - and hello is being removed in 49 (September 13) anyway.

I do agree about the removal of a lot of options (ask me every time cookies :argh:), but the healthy add-on ecosystem does a lot there.

But hey, to each their own. :shrug:

p.s. when researching pale moon's e10s plan for this post I read a thread on the pale moon forums about e10s and whew boy the sheer volume of arguments from personal incredulity there is truly something

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Powered Descent posted:

Hmm. Now you have me wondering if the slowdown I've been experiencing was just me after all. (I had tried asking around but it seems just about everyone I know uses Chrome, except for that one Safari weirdo.) Maybe one of my usual extensions doesn't play well with newer Firefox versions? The only extensions I had installed on both my home and work machines were HTTPS Everywhere, Classic Theme Restorer, uBlock Origin and Greasemonkey (with both home and work machines using the YouTube Link Title script, and my work machine also using a script I wrote myself to change the hideous colors on the internal company wiki). I'll do some more experimenting.

I'd suggest testing without HTTPS Everywhere - it's anecdotal, but I've heard more about issues caused by that extension than real benefits from it. Personally I use uBlock Origin, NoScript, SALR, Stylish, and I've been trying out Cookie Controller based on a recommendation from earlier this thread.

quote:

That may well be. And all things being equal, I'm all for cleaner code. But like 99.9% of the user base, I've never written a line of the toolbar/widget code in question. So from my perspective, all Australis did was introduce an ugly interface that looks like a cheap knockoff of Chrome, and take away a bunch of customization options. Fortunately the Classic Theme Restorer extension popped up almost immediately, and kept Firefox tolerable. But from what I've seen so far today, Pale Moon is even better.

Yeah, I can totally understand that. I wasn't a fan of some of the changes Australis brought to the UI either, specifically how it tied reload into the address bar (but I got used to it).

quote:

I don't know. As Firefox critics go, I'm pretty mild. I find things like Pocket and Hello pointless but harmless. The stock Firefox could easily win me back. I mostly just want configurable everything.

Configurable everything would certainly be nice, but I can see why Firefox's developers might consider it a nightmare to try to maintain the browser for every possible option and option combination.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Read posted:

I'm trying to edit some Firefox UI. If I change it in the DOM Inspector then it immediately reflects the change in Firefox, if I set the same rule in userChrome.css it doesn't do anything. Here's the element in question:

By default it's set to "chrome://simplified-tabgroups/content/icons/togglebutton/icon-32.png" but I want it to use icon-inverted-32.png (which is packaged into the xpi, but inaccessible through the program's options).

This is the userChrome.css line I'm using to try and enforce this:
code:
#toolbarbutton-icon {src:chrome://simplified-tabgroups/content/icons/togglebutton/icon-inverted-32.png:!important;}
Anyone know why this doesn't work?

it's a class and you're treating it like an ID

e: if it doesn't have its own ID (I see XBL in the picture), I think you'd have to use a selector that matches that class with that image

e2: maybe just ask that extension's author to add an option for it? I see it looks like it's been abandoned, so that's probably not an option. But I did see a commit that looks like it maybe fixes that, so if you're feeling brave you could try to build it, change its ID, and sign it yourself

astral fucked around with this message at 01:43 on Aug 18, 2016

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Geemer posted:

Them not giving any indication which addons block it also doesn't help. Or, you know, their general complete lack of communication about it.

Unless things have changed, any addons block it for now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Wheany posted:

Some malware site opened a popup that had the menu disabled. I wanted to report the site as deceptive, but as far as I can tell, there is no way of doing that because the menu was disabled :downs:.

The address bar was enabled, so I just copied the address from there, opened a normal new window and pasted the address there, then used the report site feature in the menu. Yeah I know, I got a double dose of whatever malware they were serving.

I also tried the Ⓘ button on the left side of the address bar but as far as I can tell, there is no report feature there.

You don't have to do that stuff through a menu.

https://safebrowsing.google.com/safebrowsing/report_badware/?hl=en
https://safebrowsing.google.com/safebrowsing/report_phish/?hl=en

e: Alternatively you can access the menu item from a normal window, then paste in the url of the bad site.