Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

Any idea why my graphic display driver would stop working when switching tabs in Firefox? This ONLY happens in Firefox, and I'm running the latest Nvidia drivers. The display driver always recovers, then firefox crashes.

I've disabled hardware rendering in settings, and Firefox seems oddly faster and snappier now too (wouldn't hardware be better assuming no crashing? :confused:). I also disabled any plugins I had that were related to tabs, just in case.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

Alereon posted:

Uninstall your current drivers, remove the remnants with Display Driver Uninstaller, then reinstall the latest drivers. If you still have issues, try a clean Firefox profile. Also, what card do you have?

EVGA GTX 780. Haven't had a crash since switching to software rendering, but I'll give the clean driver install a go.

Thanks. :)

EDIT: Sorry for going all Haus of Tech on the thread.

Ok, overall things are running a lot better after the clean driver reinstall so it was totally worth it...BUT

I'm still getting video kernal crashes (with instantaneous recovery). I've narrowed it down though: Tab switching and youtube videos (embedded or youTube itself). Switching rapidly will crash the kernal reliably.

Flash problem? Firefox problem? I thought youTube was all HTML5 now and didn't need flash?

Snuffman fucked around with this message at 15:22 on Jun 5, 2015

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

Unrelated, but that was pretty awesome.

"WAIT, those were TWO DIFFERENT MOVIES?".

:3:

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

Somewhere along the way, my Firefox (49.0.2) seems to have forgotten what cleartype, hardware acceleration and smooth scrolling are. The options are all set to "on" however Firefox is rendering type really awfully and is jumpily scrolling.

I'm running the latest Nvidia drivers, are Mozilla and Nividia having a spat?

EDIT: I restarted Firefox in its safe-mode, and fonts are still ugly, so its not a plugin conflict.

Snuffman fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Nov 5, 2016

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

So the black screen firefox thing people were talking about a page or so ago, that's Nvidia's crappy CU driver support crashing into Firefox's lovely hardware acceleration? Do I have that right?

Disabling hardware acceleration in Firefox seems to have made the problem go away.

Graphics card seems to be working fine otherwise.

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

astral posted:

Bear in mind that this is one in a series of troubleshooting steps, not a solution in and of itself.

New Nvidia drivers today, gonna give em a spin. Didn't seen any mention on /r/Nvidia, and they're usually pretty good at identifying issues with the new drivers quickly.

Still think the problem lies moreso with Firefox, especially if Radeon users are having problems too.

EDIT: Still hosed.

Snuffman fucked around with this message at 18:52 on Aug 2, 2017

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

wooger posted:

There probably is already a compatible list, and you can add custom ones to uBlock. Have a google.

All I could find was an argument on the uBlock github about how coin-miners shouldn't be included because they apparently have legitimate uses. :rolleyes:

It might be part of the "badware" filter now, though.

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

For the 0.01% that use it (myself included), Apple FINALLY updated the iCloud bookmarks plugin to be compatible with Firefox 64bit.

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

Google failed me, so I figured I'd ask here.

Is there a way to just flat out refuse site notifications? I'm never going to use the feature so I'd love to just auto click no or turn the feature off.

My Googling implies I can only turn off on a site-by-site basis.

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

I'm trying to tidy up my old bookmarks, removing dead links and the like, but they keep coming back seconds after I delete them.

Yes, I do have bookmark backup through Firefox on, but surely if I delete the bookmark and sync they should go away...right?

I double checked what I'm syncing with and only my PC and laptop are present. My laptop is off.

Am I just looking in the wrong place?

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

Privacy Badger or Ghostery for blocking tracking scripts?

I'm already running uBlock Origin to block ads.

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

isndl posted:

I don't know anything about Privacy Badger but Ghostery is selling your poo poo.

I had that suspicion about Ghostery, Privacy Badger it is.

PB is made by the EFF, so its clean. Only downside is it seems to use some degree of heuristics to block trackers so not everything is blocked right away.

That and it doesn't appear to be available outside of Firefox and Chrome due to issues the EFF has with how Edge and Safari (I prefer Safari on MacOS) support and distribute extensions now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

All of a sudden my bookmarks bar and link folders have all alphabetized and its driving me bonkers.

I don't have the option checked off in bookmarks and manually rearranging only works until the next time I start up Firefox.

Help. :(