Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Youtube hasn't worked for me since I updated Firefox, videos play and all that, but I can't rate videos, favorite them, comment, anything with interacting with the site itself. What's causing it, apparently nobody else is having this issue.

When I try to rate stuff it says "This feature is not available right now. Please try again later." It's been like this since yesterday morning. I disabled any youtube-related addons and it didn't fix anything, neither did logging out and back in again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I tried going into Firefox safe mode, and that seems to fix Youtube favoriting/rating/etc, but manually disabling all addons afterward to try it that way didn't work. What would be causing my Youtube issues, if disabling all addons manually didn't fix it, but FF safe mode did?

Is there a safe way to revert to an older version of Firefox quickly without screwing up tabs and such?

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
And now Youtube inexplicably works but Facebook doesn't without me doing a thing. It won't let me make new posts; but it will let me comment on things.

Firefox is the Skate 3 of browsers, works great most of the time and there's lots you can do, but when it messes up, it does so in the weirdest loving ways. Or it just outright breaks.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Hogburto posted:

Skate 3's physics is broken for everyone. It seems like only some people continuously have Firefox problems.

What do you think, HAL 9000?
: It's probably the machine's fault, Dave.

Firefox has worked perfectly fine for me until this latest update apart from flash being a huge steaming pile of memory-vacuuming poo poo that likes to lock Firefox up for half a minute at a time before the flash player crashes and the occasional random total crash, and disabling all my addons didn't fix the problem(which I mentioned), only booting Firefox up in "safe mode" fixed it.

Anyways, now everything works, so back to normal I guess. And thanks for the Adblock Plus tip mister Special, there was 8 of those duplicate files in there. :)

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I've been using Video Downloadhelper for a while now to download videos from Youtube and other sites. Except now it seems it automatically wants to download them as adaptive files that require a converter. On a whim I grabbed the converter, it downloaded the video fine, but then popped up a notification saying "you've downloaded this video but we've slapped a gigantic loving watermark in the upper left corner, buy a license so this doesn't happen anymore!"

So gently caress those guys, what's another good, free firefox addon for video downloading? I was planning on sending them ten bucks or something when I hit a certain threshold of downloads, but balls to that if they're going to pull this stunt.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

FWT THE CUTTER posted:

Previous page:
Thanks duder.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I accidentally typed in youtube.co instead of youtube.com, and now the youtube icon in the upper left has a "CO" on the end of it, including on pages that didn't have it but when reloaded suddenly have it.

I'm guessing this is a malicious thing, how do I get rid of it? Currently running a scan, surprised noscript and stuff didn't stop it. It'd be nice if google nailed those domains, I hear "yotube" is another one.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Grim Up North posted:

YouTube.co is owned by Google and points to Google servers, so it's not malicious. Firefox probably assumed that this is now the right domain name to display.
Thanks everyone. My virus scanner picked something up in my browser's temp files and googling led me to the yotube thing so I assumed it was something similar, guess it was unrelated after all.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Hey again, seems like the Firefox app on my Samsung Galaxy note s3 updated and now every image displays in full resolution without being able to shrink them to the window. It makes viewing anything on my phone...almost impossible. Is there any option to make it autoresize stuff again? I went into settings but nothing seemed to do the job.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
This has been happening for a while now, but twitter videos won't play at all in firefox. Everything else plays, youtube, mp4's, embedded webms, etc, but not twitter videos. Disabling noscript and adblock doesn't fix it. Anyone know a fix for it?

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

mike12345 posted:

I use tweetdeck, and everything works.

Yeah but like, whenever someone embeds a media-containing tweet on here or links to one, it never works. Can you just drop a twitter link into tweetdeck and have it work, or what?

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

wooger posted:

What OS and version are you on?
I actually had not updated in a while. Like, it was version 38.5 or something when I went to check to answer your question. At some point auto-updating got disabled and I didn't notice, whoops! Re-enabled that and everything works fine now. Don't know why auto-update disabled though, since I never chose to disable it.

They also removed tab groups at some point which is annoying, but at least they provide a link to an add-on that fills that job just as well.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Is anyone else having issues with the new version of Snaplinks? I've been using it for ages and it seems to have broken for me with the update yesterday, but I'm not seeing anyone else having any issues with it.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Gorilla Salad posted:

Older versions work. You can use version 2.4.3 and it works fine.

From the SALR thread:

Also, make sure you disable automatic updates.
Aha, thanks! Was going to roll back if nobody else was having the issue and it wasn't really fixable.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

xamphear posted:

I have some bad news for you. You might want to sit down.

The vast majority of the entire internet, this site included, is built on a financial foundation of advertising.
And it's not sustainable. A lot of people have switched to donation/subscription/patreon methods rather than ads because of that.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
hey all, I've been using an older version of firefox since a few addons I have weren't updated for newer versions of firefox, but I'm probably going to update soon since a few sites have started to not work properly in my version. Are there any replacements for Session Manager, it is extremely useful as it creates multiple backups of tab sessions and constantly refreshes the most recent backup so in the event of a crash, it probably saved even the most recent tab changes. I hear FF has something similar as standard now, but I'm wondering how good it is at dealing with restoring crashed sessions reliably every time.

Does Snaplinks Plus still work or have an equivalent addon in the most recent firefox?

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Snaplinks still works, thank god.
fantastic, it's basically essential.

how's the crash recovery/session saver situation for current versions? I want to make sure my sessions and tabs are secure, and I really hope there's a replacement or at least similar thing to Session Manager either built in or available as an addon in the current firefox.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Ah, it has a backup, but only for a single instance, no redundancies?

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Other posted:

There's MySessions
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/my-sessions/
It's nowhere near as good as Session Manager but it's better than nothing. If anyone knows a superior alternative I'd love to hear about it

alright, thanks. This works, sorta, the tabs no longer show the icon for what site it is(youtube logo for youtube, etc) on the tabs before they are loaded, which was very helpful before. Is there a current addon I can use for that? Also, an addon to space out the tabs a bit more, they're super squished as it stands.

And youtube and imgur straight up aren't loading properly. I've disabled adblock/noscript and it didn't change anything. It will load the video in youtube but nothing else, and imgur won't load the images/comments. I thought this was a problem with the old version of firefox I was using but it seems to be something else. Any ideas?

Apologies for using this thread to troubleshoot all of this, everything was working fine until a couple days ago when things started to fall apart rapidly for some reason. :/

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Mr.Radar posted:

Have you tried a fresh Firefox profile? Do those sites load correctly in other browsers?
...huh. That fixed it, what would cause my existing profile to suddenly stop loading those pages properly?

Can I go back to my older version of firefox(I was using 45.9) and get the same result?

edit: what's the most recent version of firefox that still allows legacy addons? 57?

Captain Invictus fucked around with this message at 15:54 on May 16, 2019

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Sounds great, I'll give that a go!

I'm really curious about the profile thing making youtube, imgur, etc not work until a new profile is loaded. What causes that? I've been using the same profile since...probably 2013 or so when I last updated, is it just a bloat thing, or what?

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Hargrimm posted:

When you're talking about "session saving", is that anything more than saving what tabs you currently have open? I use Simple Tab Groups to replace the grouping functionality that was taken out of base FF a while ago, and it automatically backs up the tab data regularly as well. If that's all you're after you could use that and just ignore the grouping functionality (though I really like it to segment everything I have open into 'workspaces' to not all be cluttering up the main tab bar mixed together). It does also save the favicons of tabs so they are visible even before the tab is reloaded after a fresh start of the browser.
I went to grab this and I'm probably missing something but it says I need version 63 of firefox, but I've got version 60 and it says it's up to date and won't update further.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Geemer posted:

Sounds like you're on an ESR version. Try downloading a new installer and using that to get back to the normal version.
That was it, thanks! Got on version 66 proper now. Fantastic, thank you all for your help.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
what's the go-to video site downloader of choice? the one I was using broke and videodownloadhelper A: wants to install extra poo poo on my computer in order to download videos and B: wants me to pay them 30 bucks to download poo poo without a QR code watermark in the corner of the video.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
That's a great program, thanks so much. Since I've not updated Firefox in multiple years I'm unfamiliar with the go to addons. Is noscript still good to have alongside ublock, or is it redundant?

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Is there a good automatic backup in particular?

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Klyith posted:

include <user>\appdata\roaming\mozilla in your regular backup procedure.

don't have a regular backup procedure? get one!
I have two external hard drives I use for keeping a backup clone of my hard drive, so I guess it's already included in there. But good to know it's a specific folder I can copy as well.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
this is a long shot, but is there any sort of addon for firefox to give some sort of youtube subscription page-style thing to twitch? something that lets me see all the VODs that streamers I follow have put out in the last day or so, so I don't have to go to each channel manually to check and can just glance at a list.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
yeah I figured it would be basically impossible. just sucks that twitch's interface is so bad.